• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Rise of the Tomb Raider on Xbox One X improves over PS4 Pro - Digital Foundry

Canklestank

Neo Member
This is how input lag PS4 was before the patch 1.04 (same input lag than XB1):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxrgaqWkTSA

This is how input lag is on PS4 today (after patch):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uARAxpKm0Sc

This is the comparison between PS4 (1.06 fixed) and XB1 (1.06 but never fixed):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F451eW_SDk

I call this NX test bullshit because they didn't even makes sense... misleading test to make some guys think (and use the graph) there is no input lag difference lol

I'm not seeing a difference in the 3rd video? Not saying it isn't there, but the Xbox portion doesn't look like the first video. I'd be interested if someone took that video into premiere and counted the frames because they look really similar.

Great news! I never played RIse of The Tomb Raider, so this will be like a launch game for me. November 7th can't come soon enough. My KS8000 awaits. Just gotta hope we KS owners get that latest firmware update from Samsung. They already got it in EU, I hear it's a good one.

Bizzquik

Question:
Will the 60fps 'Enhanced' mode also get HDR and Dolby Atmos features...?

If so, that's like the holy trinity of console gaming - high frame rate, superb contrast & brightness, and the best possible audio available.

This is how to sell a mid-cycle console refresh; I hope its true.

Colbert

Banned
Question:
Will the 60fps 'Enhanced' mode also get HDR and Dolby Atmos features...?

If so, that's like the holy trinity of console gaming - high frame rate, superb contrast & brightness, and the best possible audio available.

This is how to sell a mid-cycle console refresh; I hope its true.

Answer:
Yes, HDR and Dolby Atmos are part of all modes

ethomaz

Banned
I'm not seeing a difference in the 3rd video? Not saying it isn't there, but the Xbox portion doesn't look like the first video. I'd be interested if someone took that video into premiere and counted the frames because they look really similar.
The first video is in slowdown... the 3rd not.

ethomaz

Banned
It was the black sheep in that there was a year when there was nothing else to compare it to, except a different Tomb Raider game.

mccZrLw.gif

God this makes me actually want the X. I have an OG Xbox One and have been kind of debating upgrading to the S... if more games get this kind of support I might have to get the X afterall.

Fredrik

He only recorded the controller and TV to see the input lag... you can do that at your home with your cellphone.

Anybody can test the input lag differences... it is easy... I used the first two results.

NX data doesn't match reality.
Easy? How many of us have the game on both platforms? Do you?

NX also exclude the TV lag on his reports while us doing the same using a mobile phone would include the TV lag too in our figures. Slow TV and the "input lag" feels horrible, fast TV and it's less of a problem.

Plus, random youtubers can be shady, set game mode on for one HDMI input and game mode off for another and someone with an agenda can easily fool those that don't pay attention. I honestly trust NX more in this case even if his numbers are strange. If you ignore the numbers and just look at the comparison I don't see why they would be false, he is still using the same (wrong?) method to check the input lag on all platforms.

Syrus

Banned
So native 4k30
CB 4k30 with enhancements
1080p 60 fps?

Man....ill check all ouy buy probably do the prettiest one but man.... 60fps..

Mr Moose

I cant decide what mode to play in, they all sound yummy.

Personally, I'd go for the 4K mode. (Or maybe the enhanced mode if that's 4K CB or whatever?).

I assume it's the same as the PS4 Pro version where you can change it in the options during play, so you can switch any time.

Fredrik

Of course... that gif is at 1/4 speed to show the difference.

Wait until you play the XB1X lol maybe it will open your eyes.
I've played it on XB1 and PC, should my eyes have been opened?
Seriously though, PC version is god-like for all kinds of reasons but I really don't think the differences regarding the input lag make or break the game, it's definitely better on PC but I 100-percented the XB1 version without even thinking about the input lag, so idk. Cool that they fix it for those that care about it though. And Nixxes should seriously have some kind of reward at this point for always delivering better than expected!

nampad

It is weird to see Nixxes doing a better job than original devs. XB1 version being the ugly face of the game.

I believe they will push the most they can with XB1X port and some gamers will finally face how the input lag was beyond horrendous in original version.

Good news for all.

Nixxes already did better job last generation with Tomb Raider Underworld on PS3:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/xbox-360-vs-ps3-face-off-round-17-article?page=4

That was back when every multiplatform game was clearly better on 360.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
this is nixxes, you expect them to deliver a great experience representative of the hardware. Don't consider this to be the norm as not all porting studios are as good as them

They have basically delivered better tomb raider products every time they have cleaned up after crystal dynamics

Microsoft should buy Nixxes and make them the ICE team equivalent for Xbox.

Um...no, i'd rather them stay free agents to work on games regardless of platform.

That would be like Sony buying bluepoint for whatever reason

Fredrik

Thread about the improvements...it's been about input lag instead lol
Sorry for keeping those discussions alive :/

As for the improvements it's really a surprisingly big jump from the sound of it. It'll be verrry interesting to see how other devs use the power of the X, if this is a sign of what's to come then... wow.

Neith

Banned
I feel it is gonna be hard for OG users not to upgrade. They have been punished too long with that mediocre tech. This looks really solid.

Fredrik

I feel it is gonna be hard for OG users not to upgrade. They have been punished too long with that mediocre tech. This looks really solid.
Lol I guess that's one way to look at it, but yeah going from worst versions on all (?) console multiplats to the definitive version is a nice upgrade for sure! No more 900p mocking now! ;)

cakely

Nice results for the X1X. Nixxes doing amazing work, again.

shitload of sonygaf'rs forcibly downplaying this coming in 3,2,1...

around 60 pages expected

Please, just stop. We're all tired to death of the GAF meta-talk at this point. If you don't like the entire forum, feel free to take your act somewhere else.

Nixxes is such a great studio.

Are they owned by Square / Edios because they should be getting a lot of work for how well their ports always turn out.

Top Bottom