• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Rise of the Tomb Raider on Xbox One X improves over PS4 Pro - Digital Foundry

Harlequin

Nixxes output has been excellent this generation, I'm surprised they haven't taken on any full AAA game contracts so far, (assuming they have the manpower for it).

I don't think they have the expertise for it. They're a porting studio first and foremost so they probably wouldn't have the designers, artists, etc. needed to develop a full game from scratch.

kuYuri

The amount of support RotTR continues to get for a mostly single player game is astounding. It's super interesting that the PC version had HDR in dev builds, but was never added to the final game. I wonder if the X1X release will push Nixxes to add HDR support to PC.

Mr Moose

About that...
knipselt5kvv.png

Case in point: Crystal never fixed the input lag issues on the original Xbox One release, while the X port retains the crisper right-stick control of the latest PS4 title update.
­

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Probably the best Pro Supported game available is now to become the best X supported game.
Bravo Nixxis
Let's hope more follow with the same type of support, sadly on at least they haven't.

EvB

Have you got a link to where they measured it and compared it to the PS4 version?

I know you haven't , because they didn't measure it. They never mentioned anything more than it feeling like it had more input lag vs Tomb Raider (2013) on the same console.

Which may well have been the case, but as they didn't measure that in their tech analysis of any Tomb Raider game, who's to say.
Except we have another site that HAS measured it and clearly shows the contrary to what Neogaf said.

Mr Moose

Have you got a link to where they measured it and compared it to the PS4 version?

I know you haven't , because they didn't measure it. They never mentioned anything more than it feeling like it had more input lag vs Tomb Raider (2013) on the same console.

Which may well have been the case, but as they didn't measure that in their tech analysis of any Tomb Raider game, who's to say.

Except we have another site that HAS measured it and clearly shows the contrary to what Neogaf said.

That's straight from Digital Foundry.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-input-lag-fixed-on-rise-of-the-tomb-raider

This is them talking about it. You are saying they are wrong?

EvB

That's straight from Digital Foundry.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-input-lag-fixed-on-rise-of-the-tomb-raider

This is them talking about it. You are saying they are wrong?

Yes, if you take the figures that NXgamer reported, they are wrong.
They are talking about the PS4 version, which had more input lag than the Xbox version to begin with.
And had more input lag than the Xbox One version even after the patch.

As reported by NXgamer who tested it for each patch .
knipselt5kvv.png

Also, notice how in the article they have published they aren't actually testing anything, rather they are just reporting on the patch notes.

1.04 said:
Improvements to 4K image quality and frame-rate for PS4 Pro
Reduced input latency
A variety of bug fixes and improved stability

PS4 went from 242ms of input lag, to 183.3ms of input lag after 2 patches.

Xbox One was 175ms.

It shouldn't be that difficult to understand

Mr Moose

They are talking about the PS4 version, which had more input lag than the Xbox version to begin with.

knipselt5kvv.png

Also, notice how in the article they have published they aren't actually testing anything, rather they are just reporting on the patch notes.

So NX is right and DF are wrong?

Going to go back to this:
Case in point: Crystal never fixed the input lag issues on the original Xbox One release, while the X port retains the crisper right-stick control of the latest PS4 title update.

I guess we'll have to wait to see if DF make a video about it?

EvB

So NX is right and DF are wrong?

You tell me.

For one we have some evidence, for the other we have 3 or 4 separate articles written by 3 different people with no evidence.

That is of course unless for some bizarre reason NXgamer just made up those numbers for fun.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It is weird to see Nixxes doing a better job than original devs. XB1 version being the ugly face of the game.

I believe they will push the most they can with XB1X port and some gamers will finally face how the input lag was beyond horrendous in original version.

Good news for all.

Nixxes did a better job with CD's code on pretty much all PS3/360 TR games. The remake and the one's before that as well.

Harlequin

knipselt5kvv.png

Xbox One was 175ms.

Why does that chart only have numbers for the X1S, not the X1?

Mr Moose

Well, NX has statistics for input lag for various versions of the game on various plaforms. Where are DF's statistics?

I can't find one for this game, found one for FPS games though:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-console-fps-input-lag-tested

They should do some more like this.

You tell me.

For one we have some evidence, for the other we have 3 or 4 separate articles written by 3 different people with no evidence.

That is of course unless for some bizarre reason NXgamer just made up those numbers for fun.

Ahh no I am not saying that lol

I'm just saying from what they've said (and I think others a while ago on here) that the input lag was improved from the earlier version (which was apparently never fixed for the Xbox One version). The chart might be correct.

ethomaz

Banned
About that...
knipselt5kvv.png
You can play the game on all platforms that basically makes this "test" false... you can even record with your phone and slowdown after to see how the input lag on original version is really that crap compared with others versions (neither version is really ideal).

BTW these numbers showed by NX are basically unplayable.

Edit - 360 input lag should be close to 60-80ms... it is pretty good.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I bought this for PS4 but never played it. Looks like I'll be playing the 1X version instead. HDR support is big.

Why does that chart only have numbers for the X1S, not the X1?

I'd love to know the difference between the X1 and the X1S and if there is one in turns of input lag. I know that certain areas, specifically Geothermal valley are a lot smoother on X1S.

I originally played it on X1 and now own a X1S but obviously can't compare the two directly anymore.

Curious about the resolution of the enriched mode.
They didn't specify if the 60fps mode retains native 4K res, I'm assuming it does.

Rafus

I think they are talking about problems with the right stick controls, wich had some added lag, maybe like Killzone. But it doesn´t imply the whole game has input lag.

JoeLT

knipselt5kvv.png

Xbox One was 175ms.

Digital Foundry recently did an article on input lag and found VERY different results to NX Gamer. Honestly with NXGamers accuracy track record I'd go with DF on this one.

N7.Angel

More games should have multiple graphics options. I wonder how high they could push the 60fps at 1080p? Looking foreard to the video showing the X specific stuff off.

Yeah it should be the norm, I won't play TR again but I will try it to see how it looks on the X.

Gitaroo

As long as all these stuffs comes to pc then I am cool with it. Does looks like they are waiting for the win 10 creator update for hdr+atmos support.

ethomaz

Banned
This is how input lag PS4 was before the patch 1.04 (same input lag than XB1):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxrgaqWkTSA

This is how input lag is on PS4 today (after patch):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uARAxpKm0Sc

This is the comparison between PS4 (1.06 fixed) and XB1 (1.06 but never fixed):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F451eW_SDk

I call this NX test bullshit because they didn't even makes sense... misleading test to make some guys think (and use the graph) there is no input lag difference lol

I call this NX test bullshit because they didn't even makes sense... misleading test to make some guys think (and use the graph) there is no input lag difference lol

Ah! SuperRocketKnight. The go-to guy for all my input lag comparison needs.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Nixxes has done a wonderful job with all of their ports of this game. They go deep into playing to the strengths of each platform.

Hope HDR comes to all compatible platforms too. Should be a nice game for it.

shanew21

Nothing here to convince me to spend £450 an Xbox One X but it's not a bad upgrade for those looking for some improvements over the already great looking XB1 / PS4 / Pro versions.

I believe MS's target is people who don't own a PS4 Pro. It may get a few PS4 people to switch back over, it may get some 360 people to upgrade, and it'll entice a lot of XB1 owners that are looking for that boost in performance. I doubt it'll get a lot of PS4 Pro owners to jump in.

If they market it correctly they may get a lot of people who are upgrading their TVs as well. I can imagine the people in Best Buy saying it's the "perfect match for your new TV" since it's both a 4K Blu Ray player and powerful games console.

mocoworm

Looks great. Many options that go above and beyond expectations AND it's a free upgrade if you already own it.

Let's hope that this is a benchmark that other devs are measured against now when releasing for Pro and XB1X.

DonF

It was the black sheep in that there was a year when there was nothing else to compare it to, except a different Tomb Raider game.

nah dude, the x360 version had less input lag than the xb1 version, day one.

I believe MS's target is people who don't own a PS4 Pro. It may get a few PS4 people to switch back over, it may get some 360 people to upgrade, and it'll entice a lot of XB1 owners that are looking for that boost in performance. I doubt it'll get a lot of PS4 Pro owners to jump in.

If they market it correctly they may get a lot of people who are upgrading their TVs as well. I can imagine the people in Best Buy saying it's the "perfect match for your new TV" since it's both a 4K Blu Ray player and powerful games console.

Sure, it will have it's audience, just like the Pro, it's just not something that interests me personally, now MS are releasing their games on PC anyway. My PS4 Pro, Switch and PC combo is the way I'm sticking.

ethomaz

Banned
This got weird. I'm out.
Of course... nothing against solid arguments.

Input lag is the time you press the button on the controller to the action happens in the screen... why NX hide the controller input on the video? It is easy to understand because if you play both version you will see one delay more the action than the other... the opposite his numbers showed in this graph that goes against his tests... he even claimed Quantum Break was native 1080p without noticing it used temporal retroconstruction from 720p.

Gitaroo

Im am surprised gaf use use nx gamer for anything. I mean it is good to have an alternative to DF but after 4-5 videos from him, all his videos sounded like guess job. I unsubscribed his channel a long time ago, why do I even want tech analysis that is just some dude's guess work.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Really curious to see DF's detailed comparison of CB vs non-CB 2160 implementation.

When applied well, presently DF act as though the differences are negligible.

Of course... nothing against solid arguments.

Input lag is the time you press the button on the controller to the action happens in the screen... why NX hide the controller input on the video? It is easy to understand because if you play both version you will see one delay more the action than the other... the opposite his numbers showed in this graph that goes against his tests... he even claimed Quantum Break was native 1080p without noticing it used temporal retroconstruction from 720p.

I wasn't questioning the assertion that the X1 version has more input lag than PS4, more the suggestion that NX gamers results (which i think do actually show that PS4 input lag is better in some cases?) shouldn't be trusted when faced with random YouTube guys bullet proof testing.

ethomaz

Banned
I wasn't questioning the assertion that the X1 version has more input lag than PS4, more the suggestion that NX gamers results (which i think do actually show that PS4 input lag is better in some cases?) shouldn't be trusted when faced with random YouTube guys bullet proof testing.
He only recorded the controller and TV to see the input lag... you can do that at your home with your cellphone.

Anybody can test the input lag differences... it is easy... I used the first two results.

NX data doesn't match reality.

He only recorded the controller and TV to see the input lag... you can do that at your home with your cellphone.

Anybody can test the input lag differences... it is easy... I used the first two results.

NX data doesn't match reality.

If you've tried all versions and witnessed the differences then your word is good enough for me dude, that's all I'm saying.

Colbert

Banned
And here we go!

So nice. I am excited to replay and finally do those endurance runs!

Oh my gosh Enriched Mode is 4K too! WOW!

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

holy jesus!!! gladly we have a pc version <3

Top Bottom