• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hunter x Hunter Community Thread - OSU!

Genthru doesn't stand up to other villains in the series, but he was honestly fine in his role in that arc. Him and his gang are pretty much there for Gon and Killua to test out their new moves.
So Greed Island, the arc where they're stuck in a JRPG exists solely for Gon and Killua to level grind in?

remz

I hated greed island the first time through (well as much as I hate anything in hxh which is admittedly not that much) but I find myself liking it a lot on repeat viewings/readings. The dodgeball is probably the peak yeah, esp as it's a weird detour into sports anime during what is mostly until that point a training arc, but I like a lot of other stuff about it to. I like Bisky a lot so she's golden, the stuff with the cards whilst initially overwhelming and seemingly pointless (esp. in the anime when you can't read them) comes to a nice conclusion at the end during the plot to get Genthru and the payoff of that list bit as great, as Gon, Killua and Bisky all get cool moments.

Genthru is probably the weakest part of the whole thing as he's basically just a sociopath/psychopath. I think he extra stands out for this as most of the other antagonist characters in HxH are really memorable, which strong personality or motivations. Genthru is against our boys because he's a psycho, wants the prize and they're trapped in the game with him, rather than any complex reason

Worst thing about Genthru is that he has Killer Queen, but his Nen can't pose.
tenor.gif

How the fuck does Feitan of all people know how a Playstation even works?

Bisky was part of the level grind. :p

I liked the conclusion of the dodgeball match, but by that point it was around the time I started mentally checking out of the arc.
Yeah it's not the best arc. Probably just Togashi taking a chill pill as he randomly thought up the Chimera Ant arc. Fuck I miss the Hunting for your Dreams transitions...

Worst thing about Genthru is that he has Killer Queen, but his Nen can't pose.

latest

hqdefault.jpg
MONS_1025.png

(Missing one image of Genthru showing off his expansive aura WHILE posing. What the hell, screen-cappers!? I can't find it
or make my own
XD)
Gon at least gets him to do something about that, lol

Now I have to deal with Nen Yugioh and half ass Kira, it has it's good points, but...ugh maybe I'll have some appreciation for it this time around.

I could lead you through some interesting tidbits the anime missed in this arc (and a few at the beginning of CA) to save you trouble from reading the manga. Starting at episode 61 (where Gon's hair-highlights change), G.I. is 5 chapters per episode (dodgeball match aside being 4 per ep), while a good chunk of the other arcs would do at most ~3.5 per ep. But, it was necessary for a weekly anime watch-through imho

Man it sounds like the anime skipped some minor but I guess important details. I guess every HxH villain strikes a pose. This really is alt universe Jojo.

Man it sounds like the anime skipped some minor but I guess important details. I guess every HxH villain strikes a pose. This really is alt universe Jojo.

If there's any pet peeve I have with the anime, it's the stuff with Kite, those other minor things in Greed Island being left out, and just one other at the start of Chimera Ant (latter being a bit more understandable, but does leave watchers in the dark about something quite major that could occur by the end of the series' run). Greed Island is supposed to be a laid-back arc for Gon & Killua (arguably more-so for them than Heaven's Arena was until, of course, the ending segment) yet the main parts adapted were the plot-relevant points pertaining to them beating the game. The stuff I personally liked in the arc (in its beginning, mainly) weren't really there - save for a couple of fun things around when Hisoka is grouped in & that's just before the true fun of the arc happens, as we all know.

But, as we saw with Aleczander's outlining of Gon's character, we could already infer a few of which were left out so it's actually fine in the end. The other bits were on making a tad more sense out of the Hatsu training, and some of the other sillier moments - both of which are comparable to a few pieces left out from the DiU anime, funnily enough

From what I have said, there honestly is a chance that most of these peeves can be canceled out/are negligible by the end

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The only real thing they fucked up was cutting Kite's scene on Whale Island from the beginning.

Daingurse

I like Genthru, and his Toguro glasses. It was interesting seeing how warped some of these Hunters are. The Bombers just gave no fucks. Genthru also gave Gon a great fight. That final Jajanken was hype. OSU!

Their official given name is "The Bomb Devils"

I wonder if the dub will call them that. I don't recall that name being said in any incarnation of the series

HStallion

I still would love to see the conversation about setting up Greed Island.

Ging: Hey we're gonna make a horribly dangerous game that is stupidly difficult to win just to put a gigantic roadblock in front of my estranged son in case he comes to find me because... well I'm fucking Gina that's why. OH yeah and all you guys are my best friends and are going to be stuck running it while I fuck around digging up artifacts.

Ging: Hey we're gonna make a horribly dangerous game that is stupidly difficult to win just to put a gigantic roadblock in front of my estranged son in case he comes to find me because... well I'm fucking Gina that's why. OH yeah and all you guys are my best friends and are going to be stuck running it I fuck around digging up artifacts.
I guess being stuck with Pariston is his penance. Still hilarious that he gave a convict permission to fight his son to the death. "You can't kill my son, cause he's my fucking son." At least Ging was confident in the genes he passed on.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Ging: Hey we're gonna make a horribly dangerous game that is stupidly difficult to win just to put a gigantic roadblock in front of my estranged son in case he comes to find me because... well I'm fucking Gina that's why. OH yeah and all you guys are my best friends and are going to be stuck running it I fuck around digging up artifacts.

Well, the game is only dangerous because no one but Gon/Killua are playing it right. Like 90% of the danger comes from the players own bullshit.

HStallion

Well, the game is only dangerous because no one but Gon/Killua are playing it right. Like 90% of the danger comes from the players own bullshit.

Well to actually win the game you'd have to defeat Razor and I'd say that is dangerous for even most of the Pro Hunters.

HStallion

I figure just involving Pro Hunters means you're expecting a lot of wanton violence, death and destruction. That kind of comes with the territory.

I figure just involving Pro Hunters means you're expecting a lot of wanton violence, death and destruction. That kind of comes with the territory.
I mean you have half the fucking Phantom Troupe playing this game, with the other half being serial killers and a cannibal...and Josephine Joestar. I really do enjoy how Killua and Bisky interact. She's like the mother he never had because Biscuit would never put up with his shit the way his actual mom does.

RR30

IS THIS REAL LIFE!?!? Blessed are we for this most glorious gift. Truly we arent worthy. Now if you could write about 10 to 12 chapters before going on break thatd be the best.

If we're lucky we'll get 10. I just wish he'd go monthly instead. Even if he misses some months having it somewhat consistently would be so nice.

Biskenshiro

Btw, here is a scene from the OVA that was part of the manga, but not in the 2011 anime. Explains both why Gon, with his super-human senses, adapted so well to Rock-Paper-Scissors and why Killua won that match there. All on watching the subtle hand-motions!
That scene really showed how observant Gon is and how once Killua grasps the concepts of something he'll think on his feet and figure out a work around to his advantage. Bisky can't be Kenshiro cause she can't ATATATATATATATA!!!!

Jigolo

Does anybody know a good place to buy Vol 0

EDIT: Fuck. Viz is uploading the Manga covers in 320x480 instead of the old 300x450 that all the other covers in this thread are.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That scene really showed how observant Gon is and how once Killua grasps the concepts of something he'll think on his feet and figure out a work around to his advantage. Bisky can't be Kenshiro cause she can't ATATATATATATATA!!!!

Bisky doesn't need to ATATATATATATATATATAT to blow someone up with her fists, one blow is enough.

HStallion

Kenshiro and Bisky's stand both know how to hit pressure points. I've found the link!

god, Toagashi should give her stand has a "bad massage" mode that makes people's heads explode

While she's built like Jonathon Joestar she isn't sporting a stand lol

Though at this point I'm surprised Togashi and Araki haven't just done a cross over story.

Before Beefcake Krueger could finish explaining to him why she looked that way, Bara was already unconscious from an already concave face in the shape of her fist

HStallion

Because still anticipating the new releases later this month, a random question for all to ponder since what better do we have to do? So here we go. Who would win? Prime Phantom Troupe or the Three Chimera Ant Royal Guards. When I say Prime Phantom Troupe I mean at the start of York New so that means Uvogin is still alive and Hisoka is a part of the troupe and no doubt sporting a red wood of a boner for taking on foes like the Royal Guard. This also means Chrollo is involved.

As to the RG themselves lets say its after they all have fully developed their personalities and Nen abilities. To make it a bit simpler you can break it up into 3 groups of 4 Spiders per a single guard so Hisoka, Machi, Kortopi and Shalnark versus Shaipouf. Chrollo can be a spoiler I suppose since he's rather OP even for the troupe or we can take him out of the equation to keep it simple, which ever you want. And go!

I would still say Royal Guard. Youpi is sturdy as fuck, Pitou took well Gon-san to kill her and Pouf well...I think they could at least take him since he didn't seem too suited to actual fights.

HStallion

I mean I don't think its so black and white. As tough as the Royal Guard are if they fucked around with someone like Feitan and he could unleash Pain Packer I think even they would have trouble dealing with something like that. Much the same if they were smart and grouped users together with powers the could combine to outdo even the brutal raw strength of the Royal Guard I think it could give them a real fighting chance.

This is basically the issue, the Royal Guard are so insanely strong that it'd take someone with incredible nen to beat them.
Knuckle, Shoot, Morel and Knov couldn't really deal with them. Fuck they only reason why they are still alive was because Youpi evolved an honor code mid fight and spared them. Even with Uvogin and Pakunoda it's still not that much help. They had to nuke Meruem to really do some damage for example. Zazan had to be fucking melted to really kill her and she was weak by comparison. Netero didn't even think he could kill Pitou. Granted he could probably out smart her during the fight, but clearly Pitou is not a easy kill.

I don't think Feitan could do much against Pitou cause Pitou would probably kill him before he could unleash Pain Packer.

Yeah, even taking into consideration that he dropped his guard, Feitan still almost got royally fucked up by Zazan. I don't think he could hang with any of the Royal Guards.

Yeah, even taking into consideration that he dropped his guard, Feitan still almost got royally fucked up by Zazan. I don't think he could hang with any of the Royal Guards.
I consider him really dangerous against fleshy targets, but the Ants are too armored in my opinion. Yeah sure Gon crushed one to death, but he was not that high on the food chain.

Philippo

Those who think the Troupe could handle the Royal Guards are insane. Yeah, not even Hisoka. Probably just Chrollo, and that's with prep time.

It was made clear that Meruem and the Ants are simply beyond humanity. Physically for sure, and on a raw Nene quantity too. That's exactly why they were invented, and why we had to rely on a fucking nuke to do some damage.

The only thing that could come remotely close is full sacrifice Gon or any other top tier Hunter using the same method, but seeing the result i wouldn't even call it a win.

Philippo

Maybe Ging's dad and Maha Zoldyck could fight the Chimera Ants?

We know literally nothing about them.

But still, i think Togashi created the Ants with the sole purpose of something humans could never beat. If the characters were to reach that level, it would ruin the manga's deconstrucion of shonen tropes.

We know literally nothing about them.

But still, i think Togashi created the Ants with the sole purpose of something humans could never beat. If the characters were to reach that level, it would ruin the manga's deconstrucion of shonen tropes.
I don't think it's that humans can never beat them, they just more or less can't beat them without giving in to the deepest and darkest aspects of humanity. Gon beat Pitou...and well it pretty much killed him. Netero couldn't beat Meruem, humanities darkest creation killed him. The Troupe can kill Chimera Ants, just not the ones on the level of the Royal Guard.

Yeah even still post arc they still exist, they're just hidden and less of a threat now since they reconnected with their latent humanity. Perfect Cell would've mopped the floor with humanity...then again he's not 1:1 Perfect Cell since Cell could eat a nuke and not biologically deteriorate. Thank God Togashi made nukes still lethal.

Top Bottom