• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hunter x Hunter Community Thread - OSU!

Ep 71:

Killua: "Biskie what's your power?"
Bisky: *Shows Killua Cookie-chan*
Killua: "That's useless!"
Now that I'm thinking about this why didn't she just use Cookie on Killua's hands to speed up their healing?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Loved this week's chapter. Chapters that are text heavy are so great for me. Love all the fleshed out detail and mind games.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm sure an opportunity will come up soon. I expect Kurapika will speak very deliberately so the Queen knows when to use it and on what.

I expect him to give her a not so veiled warning about it next chapter to make sure she gets to using it.

I don't know, something fishy about Shimano.

I was like, "turn that shit off" the moment I realized he still had ET engaged.
Same. And then I realized he has to keep it active too. Fuck. Just knowing that it is slowly draining your life like that...

I like how tense things are. Kurapika has to teach her while steering clear of suspicion. I can only imagine how things will go once the battles/killings starts.

Bara talks so much shit before Bisky caves his fucking skull in with her fist. That's one of my favorite scenes, Bisky's VA does such a good job during the transformation. Killua vs Sub is fucking hilarious. Killua cake walked that shit, sucks for Gon though. He got the toughest battle, while I'd like to think Killua and Bisky could've beaten Genthru without taking as much damage as Gon did. Genthru is insane and even he thinks Gon is crazy..."stick dinner" is bordering on Gundam name levels of stupid.
So hype...
tumblr_njw0inJPHn1unldwoo1_500.gif

cuz like you know this is a kids show...
latest

I like how they handled that scene better in the 2011 anime.
As did I. It seemed to have more life to it. Bisky dropping truth bombs while she's transforming was cool, loved the gradual change in her voice mid transformation as well. It gave it more of a visceral feel to me.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
As did I. It seemed to have more life to it. Bisky dropping truth bombs while she's transforming was cool, loved the gradual change in her voice mid transformation as well. It gave it more of a visceral feel to me.

I haven't seen them but I don't think the original anime stuff after the York New arc was all that well liked from what I've heard.

I haven't seen them but I don't think the original anime stuff after the York New arc was all that well liked from what I've heard.
I have only seen slight bits and pieces. I tried watching the 99 series after the 2011 series and couldn't. I think it was HxH fatigue and something just felt off about it as well.

After the first two OVAs, the budget or something just fell apart as Nippon Animation was going bankrupt I think?

Btw joking about the voice in tandem with that piece of plastic of an animation being sexy

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
There's some scenes that I really love in the 99 anime. For example, I love the scene where Killua tells Gon he doesn't know what to do with his life on Whale Island better in the 99 version than in the 2011 version. Or when Gon cries in front of Kurapika during the hunter exam. The backgrounds and darker setting in the York New arc were also more beautiful IMO. I love both versions of the anime, really.

Plus, that harmonica song in the 99 version gets me right in the feels every single time. And let's not forget how awesome the opening was for the York New arc. Or that awesome collage of clips at the end of the anime. ❤️

upandaway

My friend doesn't like the way aura sounds in the 99 anime (it sounds very different from the 2011 anime) but I think it's great, maybe it's nostalgia.

HStallion

I prefer the Hunter Exam arc in the 99 version because it doesn't start out as the happy go lucky kids show but has a much more somber and even darker tone. A prime example Mito's whole outlook and reactions to anything Ging. In the 2011 she's apprehensive and worried but in the 99 she is straight up pissed and hateful, and not unexpected as Ging is the biggest asshole out there.

I prefer the Hunter Exam arc in the 99 version because it doesn't start out as the happy go lucky kids show but has a much more somber and even darker tone. A prime example Mito's whole outlook and reactions to anything Ging. In the 2011 she's apprehensive and worried but in the 99 she is straight up pissed and hateful, and not unexpected as Ging is the biggest asshole out there.
Ging is so clean shaven in the 99 anime pictures. In the 2011 one's he's a unshaven bum.

HStallion

There's another image with the pig-ant carrying a cleaver and severed limbs in a bucket with piles of naked people in the background, but I don't think I should show that here XD

Yeah I think the most you see in the show is piles of skulls and bones and the "meat" is basically giant meat balls lol

There's another image with the pig-ant carrying a cleaver and severed limbs in a bucket with piles of naked people in the background, but I don't think I should show that here XD
Holy fucking shit this is worse than the fucking anime!!!! Killua's face after he gets beaten up be beefcake Bisky is amazing. Adding Interest will always be fucking hilarious. Gon's just standing their getting his ass kicked by a mathematical exposition dump.
51c9b75459339b47c98944fbc2167da9.gif

"Yo Pitou, I couldn't take off your fucking head so I respect you now." Considering how Meruem was introduced and how good he was on exit really shows how good Togashi is at writing characters.

Early Meruem may be a dick, but his logic is on point. I don't even hate him while he's taking over the palace of East Gorteau. Killua finding out that his husbando isn't as pure and innocent as he thought... Why can't I find pics of this goth news anchor chick in ep 93? Killua straight up one shotting Nen enhanced Rommet is the first scene that really makes me question how fucking strong Killua really is. God damn Bonolenov dropping a planet on somebody is fucking great. There is no way a person can predict Bonolenov's Nen ability before they see it.
latest

Feitan does sound different speaking his native language when he's preparing to do Pain Packer. His voice isn't anywhere near as soft sounding and he doesn't seem to elongate his tenses. Holy fucking shit. If Pain Packer isn't a top 10 HxH scene then I don't know what is. The music cues, the visuals, actually seeing Feitan cut loose with his Nen, Feitan showing how crazy he really is, it's just too fucking good.
PAIN PACKER!!!!
6b6d7e420e1f2e8b58deac8357fd1000.gif

I've heard that there are actually some people who don't like Chimera Ant. I guess that's technically possible, but it seems like an insane perspective.

If I were to break down HxH arcs into tiers, it would be:

S-Rank: A story that stands out across all mediums = Chimera Ant.
A-Rank: Stories that surpass most found in animation = Yorknew, Chairman Election
B-Rank: Stories that are on par with what you'd expect from a strong animated series = Hunter Exam, Heaven's Tower, Zoldyck Family and Greed Island.

I expect the remaining arcs will be A-Rank due to the political intrigue, cool powers and detestable villains. Nothing, however, will surpass Chimera Ant. It was a pure, flawless, 100% subversion of genre, and I don't think Togashi will ever attempt to do anything like it again.

I've heard that there are actually some people who don't like Chimera Ant. I guess that's technically possible, but it seems like an insane perspective.

If I were to break down HxH arcs into tiers, it would be:

S-Rank: A story that stands out across all mediums = Chimera Ant.
A-Rank: Stories that surpass most found in animation = Yorknew, Chairman Election
B-Rank: Stories that are on par with what you'd expect from a strong animated series = Hunter Exam, Heaven's Tower, Zoldyck Family and Greed Island.

I expect the remaining arcs will be A-Rank due to the political intrigue, cool powers and detestable villains. Nothing, however, will surpass Chimera Ant. It was a pure, flawless, 100% subversion of genre, and I don't think Togashi will ever attempt to do anything like it again.
Every time I see a poster bitch about the Chimera Ant Art I'm like:
giphy.webp

This is my second time watching this and I still fucking love the god damn thing. It's just a damn good story and since I know where the characters go development wise it makes it easier and worth actually paying attention to them. On my first watch I fucking hated Meruem on sight, but now since I know more about how he operates it's quite easy to see that he deals in logical absolutes if I'm using that term right. He's a bit of a Darwinist, but he makes a lot sense with his views, he's just coming at everything from a teenagers perspective. Pretty much I think Meruem and Killua are the best characters in this arc. Gon's mindset is a fucking detriment, but it is interesting seeing people react to it. This arc is also where Nen truly comes into it's own, it's just too interesting in my opinion. I really don't think there's a repeating power. It does make you wonder how much thought Togashi puts into thinking up the powers. On top of this it also reinforces that Kurapika went about getting his powers all fucking wrong.

Without the Chimera Ant arc (especially without it in animated-form), I cannot proclaim Hunter x Hunter to be one of my all-time favorite contributions to media. Period.

Without the Chimera Ant arc (especially without it in animated-form), I cannot proclaim Hunter x Hunter to be one of my all-time favorite contributions to media. Period.
HxH would not be the same show without Chimera Ant arc, it just wouldn't have the same tone or impact to it, the characters wouldn't be the same, there would be less high's, less gut punches, I just can't imagine the show or manga without that arc.

Chimera Ant arc is easily the best thing Togashi has ever done, and I believe the best arc in any shounen manga ever. The ending especially was just perfect.

Chimera Ant arc is easily the best thing Togashi has ever done, and I believe the best arc in any shounen manga ever. The ending especially was just perfect.
Fucking Gon doesn't even know what Meruem looks like. That's not even a complaint since he was never meant to fight Meruem. That would have never made sense.

RR30

I think Chapter Black is right there from his YYH days but I do agree that the CA arc is absolutely phenomenal. This might not top that, but as a fan of political fiction I have high hopes.

I think Chapter Black is right there from his YYH days but I do agree that the CA arc is absolutely phenomenal. This might not top that, but as a fan of politics fiction I have high hopes.
Chapter Black does villain similar to main character trope, but not him too fucking well. Sensui is a villain that probably would go over a persons head on first watch, but when you watch it again and do some thinking he's great.

vypek

I'm hoping I like the Chimera Ant arc more when I see it animated. When I was reading the manga there were certain parts that I found that it felt too long. Maybe it was because I was shotgunning the series and reading so much of it so quickly.

Didn't dislike it but I'm definitely not as excited about it as other people are.

I'm hoping I like the Chimera Ant arc more when I see it animated. When I was reading the manga there were certain parts that I found that it felt too long. Maybe it was because I was shotgunning the series and reading so much of it so quickly.

Didn't dislike it but I'm definitely not as excited about it as other people are.
I have a feeling that the HxH adaptation streamlined it a bit. I've only dealt with the arc animated and loved it so you should be fine...minus certain segments that people like to complain about.

HStallion

Those 366 spoilers
Oh shit. Things are going down very soon. We got assassins scheming, Tserriednich is apparently a Nen genius, more scheming, Bansho, Hanzo and Melody... oh and Chrollo looking pissed!
FUCK!

It's going to be a cool chapter. It has small scenes with many other princes. The battle royale is more and more interesting, Togashi the GOAT.

So, spoilers:

-Halkenburg is still on game! It seems the previous scene was a dream or illusion? provoked by a nen user or nen beast.

-I had to roll my eyes when Tserriednich happens to be a nen genius. But of course! On the other hand, it makes sense, otherwise he would need a pair of years for him nen to be relevant. Togashi needs it to be useful in this arc.

-Lol at Kurapica now noticing the problem with the ability

-Chrollo!

I realize mistakenly called Halkenburg "Bill" in an earlier post of mine. Apologies!

Last year we got a severely pissed-off Machi, which was awesome. But now with Chrollo too!?!?? Ho-ly-Hell

Top Bottom