• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hurricane Season 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Landfall at 65mph, 993mb.

...ANDREA MAKES LANDFALL ALONG THE FLORIDA BIG BEND...

SUMMARY OF 540 PM EDT...2140 UTC...INFORMATION
------------------------------------------------- -
LOCATION...29.5N 83.4W
ABOUT 35 MI...55 KM NNW OF CEDAR KEY FLORIDA
ABOUT 70 MI...110 KM W OF GAINSVILLE FLORIDA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...65 MPH...100 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NE OR 40 DEGREES AT 17 MPH...28 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...993 MB...29.32 INCHES

Sucks for people who are born with names of super destructive hurricanes. Katrina and the Waves just isn't as fun as they used to be.

Sucks for people who are born with names of super destructive hurricanes. Katrina and the Waves just isn't as fun as they used to be.

I had a teacher in school who was pregnant during hurricane Charlie, she gave birth shortly after and named her son "Charlie" after the hurricane.

We have another invest pretty far east in the Atlantic for this time of year. Usually storms don't start forming there until August.

edit: invest dissipated.

Seanspeed

Banned
Sun is coming out in Hampton Roads VA. We just got hit with a lot of rain.

I'm in Virginia Beach. We had rain overnight and into the morning, but since then, its just been little spots of rain, but mostly just cloudy and a bit windy. Now there's actual blue skies and it just seems like a slightly windy day. Looks like the center will probably pass a little bit west of here, meaning we probably wont see much of that, either.

I actually cancelled plans today because I thought it was going to be a messy day. Annoying.

I thought today was going to be a messy day also after yesterday. But the sun was out nearly all day long. Little humid, but honestly thought it was going to be worse.
I can't believe how it picked up strength before landfall. Lucky it didn't stay out building strength an extra day.

It's been a slow start to the seaon so far in the Atlantic, but it looks like we could have a new tropical cyclone soon. Something for the Caribbean and then maybe later the SE US to keep an eye on.

1. A STRONG TROPICAL WAVE LOCATED ABOUT 1150 MILES EAST-SOUTHEAST OF
THE WINDWARD ISLANDS IS MOVING WESTWARD AT 25 MPH. SHOWER AND
THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY CONTINUES TO SHOW SIGNS OF ORGANIZATION...
AND RECENT SATELLITE WIND DATA INDICATE THAT A CLOSED SURFACE
CIRCULATION MAY BE FORMING. ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS ARE CONDUCIVE
FOR FURTHER DEVELOPMENT OF THIS DISTURBANCE...AND A TROPICAL
DEPRESSION OR A TROPICAL STORM COULD FORM AT ANY TIME
...WHICH WOULD
REQUIRE A TROPICAL STORM WATCH OR WARNING FOR PORTIONS OF THE
LESSER ANTILLES. THIS SYSTEM HAS A HIGH CHANCE...60 PERCENT...OF
BECOMING A TROPICAL CYCLONE DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS.

two_atl.gif

Think we'll be looking at another big one this year, GAF?

The Colorado State University forecast thinks so.

CSU stated there was a 72% chance of at least one major hurricane impacting any stretch of coastline on the United States, a 48% chance of at least one major hurricane striking the United States East Coast, and a 47% chance of at least one major hurricane striking the United States Gulf Coast; these values are much above the averages of 52%, 31%, and 30%, respectively

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Atlantic_hurricane_season#Mid-season_outlooks

Waters in the Caribbean still aren't warm enough to cause a storm that enters to grow that much in strength. Chantal will be a nice little storm to follow but probably won't even make it as a hurricane.

Kaladin

Waters in the Caribbean still aren't warm enough to cause a storm that enters to grow that much in strength. Chantal will be a nice little storm to follow but probably won't even make it as a hurricane.

Still enough to fuck up my weekend of camping in the Keys though. At least I can cancel two days if it looks bad and go in on Monday for M / T. Might even be able to pick up a reservation for W/R at the place I have to cancel my Sat/Sun reservation.

luso

Anyone knows if Chatal will be "strong" enough to affect Miami airport traffic? (if current predictions are correct)
If yes, will it be diverted to Atlanta?

Jag

If the current forecast is right, you won't have any problems.

Yep, looks like it will weaken before it hits the Miami area, if it even does. Just be aware that these things are always day to day and the further out we are, the less accurate the forecast.

Man. I was hoping not to have anything worth keeping an eye on until later this year. ;/ Been in Key West for less than 12 months and already I'm missing our last duty station. Ah well. At least the storms that don't threaten to evacuate us at least look cool.

gwarm01

This is my first hurricane season in South Florida. When should I stock up on canned goods and water? Chantal looks to be headed my way, should I be worried or will this just be a rainy day?

~Kinggi~

Banned
This is my first hurricane season in South Florida. When should I stock up on canned goods and water? Chantal looks to be headed my way, should I be worried or will this just be a rainy day?

When something is confirmed hurricane and looks like there are around 3-4 days of possibility it will hit you, go stock up on gas for the car and water and such.

Shit can get messy when the power goes out. Also if you have money buy a generator if you own your own place. Also try and freeze a bunch of water bottles to keep as cooling pieces to keep stuff cold for a few hours longer.

rainy day. a TS or even a Cat 1. is rarely a threat unless it stalls over land which causes flooding risks

Anastasia

When something is confirmed hurricane and looks like there are around 3-4 days of possibility it will hit you, go stock up on gas for the car and water and such.

Shit can get messy when the power goes out. Also if you have money buy a generator if you own your own place. Also try and freeze a bunch of water bottles to keep as cooling pieces to keep stuff cold for a few hours longer.

I also recommend a generator; you don't need a big storm for the power to go out, and having a generator can be really helpful if it does. I lived in Florida for about 6 years, and I think one of the best pieces of advice is to stock up early; you don't want to be stuck waiting around or unable to get access to certain supplies.

Theres a chance this could be a Jacksonville storm. They don't get storms too often, but they had one a couple years ago, almost 50 years after their previous storm.

Kaladin

I hope it stays off the coast and into the Bahamas and other islands west of FL, and gives me a nice lightning show to watch from the beach in the Keys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom