• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors: new info from Famitsu [Up: Famitsu preview]

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

zulux21

for those worrying about zant being playable.... there is a very very very very high chance...
in general the only people in the warriors games that have real names are the playable characters... it's rather rare to have a character with a real name that isn't playable...

I am curious about agitha though... given her history and body type though I can see her as a low hp AOE spell casting character aka the type of character who will absolutely destroy at higher levels.

Either way I am looking forward to this, more then the new zelda even...

Daschysta

Agitha has a fanbase but she is still extremely niche, many zelda fans even here apparently forgot who she is. I can't see Chars like Saria, Ruto, Groose, Tetra, Ghirahim, Mallon, Fi and any other number of chars as outside the realm of possibility in light of agitha.

WarRock

This dude
Ricky.png

or bust.

Thanks Fox and Smiles, I was starting to wonder if my post was even showing XD

Agitha has a fanbase but she is still extremely niche, many zelda fans even here apparently forgot who she is. I can't see Chars like Saria, Ruto, Groose, Tetra, Ghirahim, Mallon, Fi and any other number of chars as outside the realm of possibility in light of agitha.

Well, even beyond fans, it seems this 'iwata asks' indicates even the staff who worked on Twilight Princess were somewhat fond of her:
Asakawa: In that case, I'd like to mention something that we can show. There's a girl in this game called Agitha who loves bugs, and I really like the way she was designed. She's dressed like a little girl, but with a gothic twist, and I think female players will find her appealing. I don't think there's been a character like her in the Zelda series as of yet, and I hope everyone likes her.

Again though, she's a one-off NPC and not a main story character so I'm not expecting absolutely everyone would remember her :3

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
YAAAAAAAAS.

If the Oracles only gets one rep, I'd definitely say it should be Ricky. There's a critical lack of being able to mollywhop somebody in this game so far, and who better to fit the bill?

I'd rather take Veran and Onox thanks.

That interview snippet sort of gives me a Pete Campbell vibe.

"Gothic Lolita? I came up with that! Turns out it already existed, but I got there myself!"

Heh, well, as far as the Zelda universe goes that's pretty much true ;D
Agitha: Hyrule's first gothic lolita :3

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm expecting zero handheld Zelda references for this to be honest. Outside ALBW and LA, the handheld games aren't as well liked as the console installments.
Isn't Phantom Hourglass on of the best selling Zeldas in Japan and didn't they say this title was to try and attract the Japanese market to the Zelda brand more? I'd say they have a chance. What's holding them back is the need to rreimagine the characters with more realistic proportions vs their WWesque ones.

foxuzamaki

That interview snippet sort of gives me a Pete Campbell vibe.

"Gothic Lolita? I came up with that! Turns out it already existed, but I got there myself!"
He is saying that Agitha is the first gothic lolita ins the zelda universe, which is true.

TreIII

I'm expecting zero handheld Zelda references for this to be honest. Outside ALBW and LA, the handheld games aren't as well liked as the console installments.

Isn't Phantom Hourglass on of the best selling Zeldas in Japan and didn't they say this title was to try and attract the Japanese market to the Zelda brand more? I'd say they have a chance. What's holding them back is the need to rreimagine the characters with more realistic proportions vs their WWesque ones.

Additionally, the Oracle games were cited as selling almost 4 million copies each. Someone had to like them!

I'm hoping the Oracles gets its fair share of representation, too. But I imagine the thing to see is if Omega Force is actually going to represent a healthy range across the Zelda brand, or if they're just going to mainly focus on say, OoT/MM, TP and SS.

SkyOdin

What I meant was that it killed the idea that being a minor from a single game or being a non-combatant were barriers to someone being playable. Before, people didn't really expect sidequest characters from a single game to be on the table. Now we have a sidequest character from a single game. That means that any well-loved character, no matter how plot-important, has a chance.

I don't think anyone was saying that Agitha didn't deserve it or didn't get in based on her popularity, but it does mean that any fan-favorite character is a possibility. We don't have to limit ourselves to major or recurring characters in our hopes and random speculation now.

In any case, as long as we get a Zora and a Goron I will be happy with the game's cast.

Additionally, the Oracle games were cited as selling almost 4 million copies each. Someone had to like them!

I'm hoping the Oracles gets its fair share of representation, too. But I imagine the thing to see is if Omega Force is actually going to represent a healthy range across the Zelda brand, or if they're just going to mainly focus on say, OoT/MM, TP and SS.

I mean yeah they sold a huge amount, but the public really doesn't know or talk about those in the same breath as the console games.

Linebeck (the only ST/PH character who should really even be considered from those games) already has pretty normal proportions.
20130907130834!Linebeck.png

I guess Tetra from WW is a bit more difficult but they could probably get away with just leaving one character with the strange body shape.

Neiteio

I'm not sure what to think about characters from the cel-shaded games.

I mean, they're awesome and all, but would they bother with them when they'd have to retool their proportions?

What I meant was that it killed the idea that being a minor from a single game or being a non-combatant were barriers to someone being playable. Before, people didn't really expect sidequest characters from a single game to be on the table. Now we have a sidequest character from a single game. That means that any well-loved character, no matter how plot-important, has a chance.

I don't think anyone was saying that Agitha didn't deserve it or didn't get in based on her popularity, but it does mean that any fan-favorite character is a possibility. We don't have to limit ourselves to major or recurring characters in our hopes and random speculation now.

In any case, as long as we get a Zora and a Goron I will be happy with the game's cast.

Fair enough :3
I'd definitely expect them to have a few non-humans playable, especially at least one from each of the more iconic races. I'm kind of hoping they steer clear of the skyward sword kiwis and crash bandicoots but outside of those I'm game for anything they add now... with Midna and Agitha I'm already covered XD

BY2K

Membero Americo
So out of the 6 playable characters we know of so far, 5 are females.

Is Ubisoft calling bullshit yet?

foxuzamaki

So out of the 6 playable characters we know of so far, 5 are females.

Is Ubisoft calling bullshit yet?
Not only are these female characters, but they're of all shapes and sizes, mannerisms and personality, and all people were asking for was just a female in the assassin's robe from ubisoft.

NeonZ

3 is the important part though, most musou games start with few and eventually end up with many and Orochi's thing is to have a bunch of characters. Again, Pirate Warriors 1 had a tiny roster and was full of unplayable bosses, Kens Rage as well I believer though that might just have been a small roster.

That might not be the case here but it'd still be wise to temper expectations.

I didn't even know about Pirate Warriors 1 and Ken's Rage 1 situations. Pirate Warriors had 13 playable characters vs 22 unplayable bosses. That's something pretty much unseen in the main Dynasty/Samurai Warriors games, even the early ones.

The unique NPCs in DW and SW also generally just had generic movesets, while at least the ones in Pirate Warriors seem to have unique movesets too...

RiggyRob

I guess Tetra from WW is a bit more difficult but they could probably get away with just leaving one character with the strange body shape.

Midna's in the game, doesn't get weirder body shape than 'imp riding shadow wolf'. The real problem would be the Wind Waker artstyle clashing with the Hyrule Warriors artstyle.

foxuzamaki

Midna's in the game, doesn't get weirder body shape than 'imp riding shadow wolf'. The real problem would be the Wind Waker artstyle clashing with the Hyrule Warriors artstyle.
midna isnt super stylized like WW is, she matches the TP world which had more realistic proportions in the first place, you cant just leave that bit out.

This is the same Tecmo Koei that butchered all the Fist of the North Star characters. I'm sure they have no problem shitting out monstrosities based on the Cel-Shaded Zelda characters.

Agitha being playable is fucking hilarious

It really is. There's no way I would have ever seen that coming. Ever.

If you would have told me that Malon was playble, I would have believed that before fucking Agitha from Twilight Princess got in.

Day one purchase for me. I'm diving straight into the madness.

RiggyRob

midna isnt super stylized like WW is, she matches the TP world which had more realistic proportions in the first place, you cant just leave that bit out.

Right, but Midna hardly has realistic proportions, does she?

life_size_midna_papercraft_by_studioofmm-d5v8ydn.jpg
compared to
Tetra.png

Midna's not only smaller than Tetra proportion-wise, but she has a much more different body shape, whereas Tetra's just small really.

MAtgS

Right, but Midna hardly has realistic proportions, does she?

Midna's not only smaller than Tetra proportion-wise, but she has a much more different body shape, whereas Tetra's just small really.

Mida's also not human & was originally designed to appear alongside TP humans. Tetra would be a human that looks very different from the other humans.

CTLance

I'm kinda hoping for a return of the announcer/sales clerk from Malo Mart in Castle Town (Twilight Princess). Not necessarily as a playable character - although that would probably be hilarious. Dude had moves.

Extra double super bonus if there's a bunch of mobs dancing along to the jingle in a secret shop area or something.

You know the drill. Buy one, get one.

shaowebb

-LoZ-
Link, Zelda, Ganon, Old Man (the hint guy), Darknut, Wizzrobe, Stalfos

-LoZ 2-
Dark Link, Horsehead, Error

-LttP-
Agahnim, Sahasrala, Link's Uncle, Blind the Thief

-LA-
The Shop Keeper,Marin

-OoT-
Sheik, Impa, Ganondorf, Rauru, Saria, Darunia, Ruto, Nabooru, Malon, Mido, Running Man, Dampe, Phantom Ganon, Twinrova, Iron Knuckle

-MM-
Fierce Diety Link!, Goron Link, Deku Link, Zora Link, Skull Kid, Odolwa, Mask Salesman, Tingle, King of Ikana, Zubora and Gabora

-Oracles-
Farore, Din, Nayru, Onox, Veran, Ralph, Ricky, Dimitri, Moosh, Maple, Subrosian, Pippin

-WW-
Tetra, King of Hyrule, Niko, WW Ganondorf, Medli, Makar

-Minish Cap-
Vaati (in Wizard form), Swiftblade

-TP-
Zant, Midna,Agitha apparently, Ashei, Rusl, Darbus or Dangoro, Purlo, Colin, Hero's Shade

-Phantom Hourglass-
Linebeck, Jolene

-Spirit Tracks-
Byrne, Cole, Phantom possessed by Zelda?

-SS-
Ghirahim, Groose, Fi, Demise, Koloktos, Scervo, Batreaux

-LBW-
Ravio, Hilda, Yuga, Gramps

Bolded my hopefuls outta your list. Could you even imagine how awesome it'd be to refight Koloktos in this then get to keep his giant sword to use as an item on that map the rest of the stage? GOD YES!

Top Bottom