• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just bought Morrowind. What should I do before diving in?

Crayon

I'm not sure if it works like this in every version, but bitd I bought it as a set with blood moon and tribunal expansions. I installed them all at once and shit from the expansions just started happening. Stuff I would liked to have start later in the game. So I should have been playing the base game then layered on the expansions later. Maybe I misunderstood what was going on but that was my experience.

And prepare yourself for the walking speed. Line up a podcast or something. Bring a snack.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Refund it
Install it.
MtZ9N.gif

Maddux4164

That game got me into RPG’s and was a true revolution

I say just enjoy it and do whatever you feel.

Catch a sunrise and sunset on the mountains. Fish some in the sea of ghosts. Kill a shop owner and take their goods. Buy a home. It’s up to you 😎

Crayon

Iirc it’s 200 speed, but it makes you blind unless you use resist magick or something to counter the effect before you equip them.

I’d say definitely faster than a “normal speed”.

But they make you blind lol. That is somehow so perfect

Hey 64bitmodels- I'd personally rather have my eyes gouged out irl than be lapped by snails so keep a lookout for these boots.

Not the most threadworthy thing I know. I'm just wondering what i should do, mods i could install for a first time playthrough before I get started. I didn't have much cash on me, I had to choose between this, Oblivion & Skyrim so i chose Morrowind.
Uninstall it and go play Starfield instead. Morrowind is unplayable with its ugly ass visuals.

Last edited:

anthraticus

Banned
Uninstall it and go play Starfield instead. Morrowind is unplayable with its ugly ass visuals.
fhU3AFq.png

Lol...it beats Turdfield's bland and sterile artstyle any day. Don't give a shit about how much more 'technically advanced' it is. Talk about having such a boring and unimaginative vision of the future. Just awful.

Remember when sci-fi art was actually cool back in the 70s and 80s ? The Toddler sure doesn't.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Prepare to wonder what all the fuss was about.

cireza

Memories are quite old, but I remember playing a kind of lizard creature and I think that Endurance was a pretty great stat to raise, as it helped moving fast, spears were the only weapon indexed on Endurance but luckily they existed so I was not forced on raising several stats for equipment. And probably other advantages I forgot about.

And that's a Bethesda game, so Eloquence + Stealing of course.

I also remember that wandering on the road to the North North-West from the first town led to a funny event and getting 3 tomes of a magical book with a very fun spell to use at the beginning.

Last edited:
fhU3AFq.png

Lol...it beats Turdfield's bland and sterile artstyle any day. Don't give a shit about how much more 'technically advanced' it is. Talk about having such a boring and unimaginative vision of the future. Just awful.

Remember when sci-fi art was actually cool back in the 70s and 80s ? The Toddler sure doesn't.

The joke and sarcasm really went over your head didn't it? Lol.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

Played 6 hours of it again earlier this year. Aged poorly. People put far too much stock into "you actually have to read the quest text!! i am so smart for reading" but once you quickly get over that one nice feature, most of the plot and writing is incredibly flat. As an RPG you're funnelling points into the thing that lets you actually hit the enemy and then left clicking on it.

The golden age 2D CRPGs that are even older than Morrowind are WAY better even today. It was a transitionary period that was impressive at the time, but today? Negative.

Dr.Morris79

The golden age 2D CRPGs that are even older than Morrowind are WAY better even today.
True they are still good and some were better than Morrowind, there is no question that it was an excellent transition to a proper big, first person RPG!

Thinking back to it and what came next.. (Oblivion..), it's no contest. Oblivion was a babies first RPG..

A game is a sum of it's parts. When you have quite a few people still saying Morrowind is one of the greatest RPG's of it's time and in a lot of ways, still is, then it stands to reason the parts made a great game. Not many games these days even come close.

So again..!

35Cs8Y6.gif

whether you love or hate it, Morrowind IS, still! One of the best RPG's of our time.

..Don't hurt me.

Prepare for a useless chronological quest log (unless there are mods for that).
Prepare for boring af story and background bits in books and much talk, ie text, about some Nerevarine shite which never feels important despite being the main story.
Prepare to google for command line inputs that might be needed to get some stuff unstuck or whatever. ra was iirc reset actors.

Imho the game was not really good at release and it hardly aged well. Have fun though.
I liked collecting stuff and since the game saves every piece of junk, I amassed a collection of weapons and armor in my home and never finished it due to not knowing where I left off, see point 1.

Top Bottom