• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just bought Morrowind. What should I do before diving in?

Drizzlehell

Banned
Played 6 hours of it again earlier this year. Aged poorly. People put far too much stock into "you actually have to read the quest text!! i am so smart for reading" but once you quickly get over that one nice feature, most of the plot and writing is incredibly flat. As an RPG you're funnelling points into the thing that lets you actually hit the enemy and then left clicking on it.

The golden age 2D CRPGs that are even older than Morrowind are WAY better even today. It was a transitionary period that was impressive at the time, but today? Negative.
To me it was less so about the fact that you had to pay attention to your surroundings and more about the freedom to go anywhere and do anything, which I don't think any other game at the time allowed the player to do. Even games such as Gothic kinda funnelled you towards a certain path by populating late-game areas with overpowering enemies.

Although it was still a neat design choice to have to cross-check your journal entries with road signs, and you seldom see this in RPGs even today. Most of them typically fall back on the dumbed down solution of having a compass and objective markers, and that's no fun. Having to interact with the game world in such a manner simply enhances the immersion and I don't think that it suddenly supposed to make you some kind of savant. Anyone who can rub two brain cells together can figure out a road sign. It's more about enhancing the sense of presence within that weird-ass but magical world and that's what I think made Morrowind such a memorable game for many, and why it still remains a very unique RPG experience. There simply aren't that many RPGs today that would give player as much agency as Morrowind and that's what makes it special.

Whether intentionally or not, but Bethesda created a sandbox game in the most real sense of the word, while most of their later games felt progressively more restrictive and measured.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

This, install Open Morrowind and play it this way, the engine is ancient. No mods needed. Enjoy the best ES title.
Yes on OpenMW, no to no mods. There are a ton of QoL mods that should be used.

Edit: Autocorrect on iOS is complete trash.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Uninstall it and go play Starfield instead. Morrowind is unplayable with its ugly ass visuals.
videogame from 20 years ago that's the price of a sandwich that everyone colloquially agrees is the bee's knees

VS

70 dollar videogame released a month ago that half the population likes and half the population hates.

Also i'm of the opinion that many 20, 30, even 40 year old games still look appealing to the eye. So long as Morrowind isn't a butt ugly mess like New Vegas i'll enjoy looking at it enough

Cyberpunkd

Uninstall it and play a better game instead, game has aged horribly
jurassic park deal with it GIF

StereoVsn

videogame from 20 years ago that's the price of a sandwich that everyone colloquially agrees is the bee's knees

VS

70 dollar videogame released a month ago that half the population likes and half the population hates.

Also i'm of the opinion that many 20, 30, even 40 year old games still look appealing to the eye. So long as Morrowind isn't a butt ugly mess like New Vegas i'll enjoy looking at it enough
q8N7WAJ.gif

The first part of this post is correct. However, New Vegas is one of the best RPGs ever made and worth playing more vs anything Bethesda made or most of Open World RPGs.

There are also mods and ENBs that can help with how the world looks.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
However, New Vegas is one of the best RPGs ever made and worth playing more vs anything Bethesda made or most of Open World RPGs.
Who said i was disputing that? I'm simply saying New Vegas is pretty fucking ugly to look at. Bethesda held back that game with the terrible Gamebryo engine, if it were made with something like UE3 it'd be a visual treat.

MH3M3D

Not the most threadworthy thing I know. I'm just wondering what i should do, mods i could install for a first time playthrough before I get started. I didn't have much cash on me, I had to choose between this, Oblivion & Skyrim so i chose Morrowind.
Say Bismillah obviously. Have a blessed journey my son.

StereoVsn

Who said i was disputing that? I'm simply saying New Vegas is pretty fucking ugly to look at. Bethesda held back that game with the terrible Gamebryo engine, if it were made with something like UE3 it'd be a visual treat.
It’s not a pretty game but again, can be made much more attractive visually.

I think Fallout 3 and NV suffer more from art direction and crappy visual filters.

Doom_master1122

Neo Member
If I had to give actual advice for playing the game. I'll admit its hard to get into, but I love the game.
1. Don't Custom class until you know how the game functions. Pick one of the classes and star sign and go with the skills they give you.
2. Learn how the skill system works as opposed to Oblivion and Skyrim. It's closer to Oblivion with the "Minor" and "Major" skills, but with an addition to "Misc" skills. A lot of it boils down to "If you are efficient/high enough stats in a certain skill", you'll be infinitely more likely to hit an enemy. Picking a Mage class, but then trying to stealth and use marksmanship isn't gonna work (At least not without a bunch of work)
3. Explore, pay attention to things. There are no quest markers, so take notes on things in the world and what people say for quests.
4. You will never experience everything in 1 play through. Do what interests you. This game has dispositions based on which factions you join. Meaning certain factions hate others, locking you out of their quest lines.
5. Have patience. As much as I love the game, its clunky, but I feel the effort you put into playing it, it awards you back equally.

Also, OpenMW. Absolutely the best thing to use. In terms of mods it boils down to your preference. There are mods that make the combat a non-dice roll style combat. Plenty of visual mods. There are patches for a lot of the random bugs Morrowind has (Like pick pocketing being utterly broken).
I generally just play vanilla with visual mods. I still find it very enjoyable that way.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Tbh with all the Gothic 1 & 2 suggestions wait a bit on that, Gothic Classic and Gothic II Classic have released/announced for Switch and have some enhancements that the PC is going to get but it's unknown if it will be a patch to existing versions and/or a new release (but I bet on the former).

They have some enhancements like Gothic II's inventory/GUI in Gothic, gamepad controls (duh) and there were nicer shadows seen in the initial trailers for both even though the launch trailers and actual releases on the Switch don't have any of that so it's probably part of the PC enhancements.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Tbh with all the Gothic 1 & 2 suggestions wait a bit on that, Gothic Classic and Gothic II Classic have released/announced for Switch and have some enhancements that the PC is going to get but it's unknown if it will be a patch to existing versions and/or a new release (but I bet on the former).

They have some enhancements like bringing Gothic II inventory/GUI to Gothic 1 and there was also some nicer lighting seen in the initial trailers for both even though the launch trailers and actual releases on the Switch didn't have any of that so it's probably part of the PC enhancements at least.
By the time I'm done with Morrowind we'll have an answer to whether or not that update will come to PC, so yea.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
By the time I'm done with Morrowind we'll have an answer to whether or not that update will come to PC, so yea.
The launch trailer for Gothic Classic on Switch said at the end the enhancements will come to PC, yes, just not how. But by the time you're done with Morrowind maybe we'll know if the full Gothic remake is good or not :p

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Not the most threadworthy thing I know. I'm just wondering what i should do, mods i could install for a first time playthrough before I get started. I didn't have much cash on me, I had to choose between this, Oblivion & Skyrim so i chose Morrowind.
First thing you should do is get your money back.

LOL, joking. I never played Morrowind on PC, only on Xbox and it was not a good experience for me. I just didn't get it, compared to contemporary games it looked so bad. I didn't understand the draw as it was my first Bethesda game.

Interested to see how you make the experience your own.

Drizzlehell

Banned

They have some enhancements like Gothic II's inventory/GUI in Gothic, gamepad controls (duh) and there were nicer shadows seen in the initial trailers for both even though the launch trailers and actual releases on the Switch don't have any of that so it's probably part of the PC enhancements.
I'm guessing that it will be an update to existing versions and you won't have to buy them again. Piranha recently released console versions of Risen and on PC it came out in a form of an update. Which was cool because the PC version didn't have achievements before, lol.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
LOL, joking. I never played Morrowind on PC, only on Xbox
this is the same experience I had, this isn't my first time playing morrowind but it will be the first that I take the game seriously. I didn't care much for it on Gamepass, i'm trying it again now.

I think i'm liking it so far besides the slow walking speed and static looking world.

Last edited:

Tarnpanzer

1. Don't Custom class until you know how the game functions. Pick one of the classes and star sign and go with the skills they give you.

Nah, custom class is the way to go, since there is for example no use for more than one armor or weapon skill what most of the pre defined classes have.

If you want a beginner friendly experience, go Redguard, Starsign Lady, Major Skills: Long Blade, Heavy Armor, Block, Athletics, Security. Minor go with what u like. I took Speechcraft and 4 Magic Schools.

With this u start afair with Long Blade on Rank 45 with makes u consistently hit things even if your character is level 1.

Last edited:

VS

Another reply that missed my obvious sarcastic and humorous joke. Scroll up a bit.

Humdinger

I remember using a guide to help me through it. It was my first RPG, so I was very confused. I'm not sure if you would need a guide or not, but don't feel bad if you need to consult one. Some of Morrowind's quests can be pretty obscure, and the disorganized journal doesn't help matters.

Skifi28

Do what I always do with Bethesda games.

Step 1) Spend 20 hours looking up and installing mods.

Step 2) Spend another 50 hours testing and fixing conflicts, crashes etc.

Step 3) You're finally ready to play, everything is perfect just the way you want it after two weeks.

Step 4) Aaaaand you're done. You can't even be bothered to play the game anymore.

Tams

Refund it.

It has aged terribly. And not just graphically. It was fantastic at release and up until about 2012 still worth a play as nothing really compared. But now... nah.

Dithadder

Spears are great.
Thrust, thrust, thrust, repeat (to quote the excellent gamefaq). OP, dont read any faqs or guides or things like that before you complete a playthrough, is what i would suggest.

A positive suggestion? I dont know, maybe drop acid or eat some mushrooms.

anthraticus

Banned
Just having to navigate and enjoy proper 'organic exploration' without following idiot markers around is incline enough and will get you acclimated to proper RPG design, not bs handholding for non RPG fans, popamolers, etc..

Top Bottom