• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think it's time to shed the idea that Street Fighter V is a bad game.

meerak

This is the norm in all fighting games, and this is how the Tokido vs Punk finals was also played, but this is far from how most SFV matches go.

This is true, but in my opinion - as a casual fighting game player of some 20 years or so - is that in most games the spacing element is heavily obfuscated by other systems or becomes secondary/tertiary to other mechanics or Meta in the game. I think SFV is quite "pure and simple" and that's it's appeal to both viewers and lifelong scrubs like me. It's why some people deride it - and I get that, but that's not how I feel. At my low level, playing both in locals and in online, I do feel like that is how most matches go. For low level players, they need to shut down the gimmicks first to allow spacing to happen, or play offline with real humans who don't want to just RTSD 24/7. But I really strongly disagree with your assertion. I've watched enough pro matches to also not really think that's the case there, but, I dunno. I'll give it a thought I suppose.

That just rubbed me the wrong way. It's their own way of saying 'git gud scrub'. And then a couple posts later they handwave away requests of arcade mode because they don't personally want it. I play a lot online but even I want arcade mode.

It's not my way of saying get gud scrub. Barely in Super Silver playing the game nearly every day (offline I admit - I love training, survival and trials for practice) since it came out makes me an official scrub I think. My point was that I think a huge % of negative SFV reaction comes from people who would never play a FG longer than that 7 Day Rental period. Arcade modes have historically sucked, forever. The good single player modes that anyone names, in almost any fighting game, NRS, ArcSys or otherwise, are not arcade modes. I just feel like arcade mode is this easy out for people who really don't play the game to be able to shit on it.

I was handwaving arcade mode because I think it is, by principle, a poor SP experience. A new take on survival, time trial, combo challenge, in-depth tutorials, any one of those has greater longevity/replay-ability, and is actually worthwhile as a player.

DR2K

Banned
Which other mainstream FG gives you the ability to obtain characters and stages for free? None.

When I bought Injustice 2 it already cane with 28 characters, I didn't have to pay for them in game or wait months on end for the base roster to fill out.

When I bought Tekken 7 it came with 35 characters. I didn't have to pay or wait for the roster to fill out either.

They're in game fight money systems constantly reward you and give you plentiful options just playing the game.

Realistically you're not earning the entire roster in SFV, that's not going to be the experience most people will have. Survival mode is still busted. Story modes only give you money once. The new trials are just confirm into jab on CH bull shit. Playing the game naturally only earns you so little that it's a joke. These new challenges are better, but they're very stupid. This isn't good or fair design.

Well its hard for me to say its a bad game cause I like it, but Im not blind to where its faults lie.
Single player is clearly lacking even with the updates for the past 1.5 years, gameplay needs some tweaking and few overhauls on certain systems, and online still could use more work.
After the 1.5 years its certainly more solid as product, but its got quite a ways to go to bring people back on board.

But yeah I think that those who consider it a bad game are going to continue to consider it a bad game until the issues that make the game bad to them are fixed.

Hojaho

again, those who kept on harping on this are truly not understanding how casuals play fighting games...they don't play fighting games so that they can play it 'properly'...they play it to have fun...i.e....almost like a 15-20min rollercoaster ride with an ending and be done with it for the day.

When will you competitive players understand they casuals DO NOT WANT to play online competitive or practice combos in practice mode?

Hey..i can hang on with my pals in the basketball court every so often to 'play' basketball but you bet your ass i've never ever practice and me and my pals have never 'challenged' anyone..we just want to throw some balls in the hoops.....

Same mentality for fighting game casuals.

how do you feel if a basketball player (professional or recreational) come to you and tell you that you must practice your b-ball skill and play competitively if not, you might as well stop playing b-ball?

You read half what Zenspider said. He said, for vs AI was added long ago in Versus mode, you could make your own arcade mode. That's not training or having anything to do with playing in a competitive way.

MrCarter

Yeah, I think they really dropped the ball on singleplayer content.
The Story modes are a one trick pony and the mode that should have been the singleplayer savior(survival mode) is nothing more than a miserable pile of crap. When people ask me to recommend a fighting game one the premise that they only like to play singleplayer, SFV is on the lower end on my list of recommendations.
Though to be honest, KoF and Tekken don't fare that much better.

The criticism around it is very valid in my opinion, especially when Capcom themselves delivered things like World Tour Mode ages ago, not to forget that Rival Schools was incredibly far ahead in terms of content. The japanese version even had 2 games in one, i.e. fighting game and school life sim, which included a very poor create a character, but the character could learn other characters special moves + a small amount of fun mini games.

I think the same can be said for T7. They seriously dropped the ball when it came to content and even omitted modes that have been in those games since T3. Now you have to pay $10 for some bowling mini bowling game when it should have been in the game in the first place. I do agree with you, SFV content at launch was awful however it seems like that didn't really affect it in the scene apart from sales. This is why I think SSFV needs to happen, I mean of course it won't stop people from whining as evidenced by this very thread, but for the existing and new consumers it will go a long way.

cordy

Banned
I got as far as "...in my opinion that doesn't really matter anyway..."

Not the best line of defense, OP.

Pretty much.

OP shat on a group of people who play differently than he does and that backhanded "oh do this instead it's the same thing" kind of logic is silly. Let people play like they want to play.

jett

D-Member
Nice, so because you liked the Top 8 at Evo, it's time to say the game is good, which you believed from the start anyway. Got it.

They fixed the PSX load times between everything and menu changes/matchmaking/VS screens now load in times befitting the year 2017? Sweet. They fixed those "touching but not hitting" hitboxes that are everywhere? Dang, Capcom is doing things. They decided to amend their store pricing to make it less of a pure money grab? Capcom, you've finally changed! And those DLC characters are so appealing right now, the big guy and the weird kid, future franchise staples. Arcade mode and not "you can versus CPU! Same thing!" and not the weird story mode thing? Complete. Polished. Product.

All this because of your enjoyment of Top 8, I see the light now. Who knows how good this game will be after Capcom Cup! Greatest game of all time? It's not like you're being intentionally tonedeaf about the issues people have with the game, instead pretending like the majority dislike it from a gameplay perspective.

How many fighting games have you played, fam? SFV and ten minutes of SF4 is my guess based on this Combofiend-esque PR piece. Get out more, get some perspective and maybe you still feel it's the champ, maybe you don't.
You're a low quality troll.

Dartastic

So the issue I face mostly is I think SFV deserves some shit because I believe the game has issues. I don't think deserves all the shit it gets and it irritates me that people can effectively get away with libeling the game because most people won't challenge whatever untrue shit is spouted.
Totally. A perfect example of people libeling the game is a few pages back when a poster was talking about how it takes like, four months to get enough fight money to get a character, and when pushed, they then revised their statement to be like, "well, once you get the first couple characters..." and THEN in the next sentence they say they don't care about the fight money system that allows them to get them characters for free. Like, fucking hell.
When people say SFV is a bad game and you immediately talk about it's gameplay, you're already misunderstanding why they say it. Somebody needs to make a new thread because this thread is not, I can't stress this enough, is not getting down to the point of why people say it's a bad game.

I understood what you were saying.

The problem with this thread, and most of the SFV defense threads, is the fact that people keep talking about gameplay when they mention it being a good game. No. Shit. The. Gameplay. Is. Good. If you mention gameplay when people say "SFV is bad" then you don't get why people say it. It's clearly a disconnect.
Yeah, but at the same time that lack of modes has fostered a sense of hostility that make people just outright lie about the quality of the mechanics or write it off entirely. Maybe instead of saying that it's a "bad game" which implies that the systems and fighting itself isn't good, they should say it "lacks content" because that's a better way of communicating it.

Pompadour

Totally. A perfect example of people libeling the game is a few pages back when a poster was talking about how it takes like, four months to get enough fight money to get a character, and when pushed, they then revised their statement to be like, "well, once you get the first couple characters..." and THEN in the next sentence they say they don't care about the fight money system that allows them to get them characters for free. Like, fucking hell.

Yeah, that's the most infuriating part about these discussions. They can be as hyperbolic as they want because SFV is a flawed game. When called out for lying they'll just backpedal to a fairer criticism.

Poster A: Here's some patently untrue criticisms of the game, revealing my knowledge of what I'm criticizing is slim at best.
Poster B: Here's why your criticism is patently untrue.
Poster A: lol whatever it's still shitty.

Or if one avenue of criticism fails, they'll jump to another.

Poster A: SFV's netcode is horrible. Even KOFXIV has better netcode.
Poster B: No truthful person who's played both games thinks this.
Poster A: Yeah, well, KOF had 50 characters at launch and SFV still only has 25.

Banned
The gameplay for street fighter 5 was never a problem. It was the lack of content, including missing modes being able to use fight money, and that laughably bad story mode that got patched in months after launch.

The game was obviously rushed and cut corners to make it before FGC 2016. And the gameplay was great because it's mostly an iteration the same gameplay of IV.

fresquito

The real harm is that no real discussion can be risen from that. I mean, the game has some flaws, like the whole online experience is serviceable at best (when you are not hit by five bars teleporters, of course, in which case is garbage), the odd PC problems that will never be patched (like incompatibility issues with tablet devices), gameplay design flaws (light AAs still being a thing or CC being positive on block) and even system flaws (V System really underused for some chars).

Then you have all this nonsense that everything is 50/50 or rushdown or there's no fireball game (surprise, Tokido reset the brakets in the EVO finals with a fireball!!) and suddenly it's so hard to have fair talk about the problems the game faces.

Rmagnus

Banned
Well I am not sure if it's a Sony thing or a capcom thing but you can't earn coins without PSN plus. SFV basically forced me to sign up for PSN plus cos of juri... Fing con job

The gameplay for street fighter 5 was never a problem. It was the lack of content, including missing modes being able to use fight money, and that laughably bad story mode that got patched in months after launch.

The game was obviously rushed and cut corners to make it before FGC 2016. And the gameplay was great because it's mostly an iteration the same gameplay of IV.

This exactly. Completely this!!!

sephi22

The gameplay wasn't a problem in Season 1. It was bland but not bad or broken by any means.
It absolutely got worse in Season 2. They tried to make the game more explosive and exciting but ended up making it stupid. I don't have enough grasp of 2.5 but it seems they've managed to rein it in a little.

I agree with what you've said, every sfv thread has been toxic.

While I do understand the complaints I think it gets ridiculous.
It becomes a mix of people invested in the game who want it to be good, but are frustrated by Capcom's decision making, mixed in with posters who were never interested or will never be, but still like shitposting. I was as miffed with SFxT when that disaster happened, but I gave props when they fixed the issues in v.2013. And trust me, I'll go from a staunch opposer to a staunch defender if Capcom ever prove they deserve it.

I've come to accept that SFV will never be my ideal game. ie: the flexibility and personality of SF4/3 or other games isn't going to come back. Alternate CAs and V-Triggers/V-Skills won't ever happen. So all they need to do is keep the top tiers where they're at, but give good enough tools to the bottom tiers to make it to that level. Some of the DLC characters like Guile, Ibuki, Akuma are fun and powerful designs. No reason why Fang, Juri, Alex, Ryu etc have to slum it with bad tools.
And of course, some QoL changes like P2 rematch and arcade mode. Good balance, QoL changes, and some nerf to the CC system is good enough for me.

I've come to accept that SFV will never be my ideal game. ie: the flexibility and personality of SF4/3 or other games isn't going to come back.

I think this is the mature, reasoned response to take. I booted up SSF4 last night after seeing it was added to Xbox One backwards compatibility and it was like going to an old friend. My favorite characters that haven't made the SFV cut yet were there and the characters I like played in the fashion that made me like them (Ibuki and Juri), plus there was so much more to choose from.

I don't think SFV is a bad game, and I think the gameplay is both fun to play and entertaining to watch, but it doesn't feel like a step forward from SF4 in a way that I want and enjoy. I would rather play SSF4 than play SFV, but as someone who wants to get better in fighting games and keep up to date with the latest of what's going on in Street Fighter, it feels like I'm forced to keep playing the game I don't prefer and have to leave the game I like more behind.

I think a lot of people feel that way. SFV is a good game, but it's a disappointing one in the shadow of what we've already enjoyed and a personal disappointment that we're stuck with it.

qcf x2

Ain't that the truth. It's especially funny coming from him when KOF14 is literally non-existent in the FGC with only 375 entrants at EVO. This is the sort of stuff that is pathetic and damaging, "Oh your game is more popular and well received than my game, so I will find a way to jump on the bandwagon and completely ignore the issues my game has, to bring it down".

Why are you guys mentioning KoF? I surely didn't compare it to SFV. It's like the instant defense against technical criticisms from day 1 has been "but but ______ videogame has a smaller fanbase!" You guys are fictionalizing points, arguing against things I didn't say instead of pointing out where I said something incorrect, I suppose based on an avatar? Don't take this videogame (or any) so personally, guys. If you can't be real about the criticisms then you probably shouldn't discuss it. If you like the game, that's fine. But if your justifications are "I enjoyed Evo top 8, it's good now" well, sorry, that no make it magically better. I will absolutely call out misleading posts. That does not constitute trolling, shitposting, etc. It does not have anything to do with one game vs another. It's being honest about the situation. If you can't deal with an opposing view then cool, move on.

Forward

Why are you guys mentioning KoF? I surely didn't compare it to SFV. It's like the instant defense against technical criticisms from day 1 has been "but but ______ videogame has a smaller fanbase!" You guys are fictionalizing points, arguing against things I didn't say instead of pointing out where I said something incorrect, I suppose based on an avatar? Don't take this videogame (or any) so personally, guys. If you can't be real about the criticisms then you probably shouldn't discuss it. If you like the game, that's fine. But if your justifications are "I enjoyed Evo top 8, it's good now" well, sorry, that no make it magically better. I will absolutely call out misleading posts. That does not constitute trolling, shitposting, etc. It does not have anything to do with one game vs another. It's being honest about the situation. If you can't deal with an opposing view then cool, move on.

Precisely this.

Unfortunately, they just do not get it. It's like they inexplicably link the quality SFV to their own egos and self-worth. It would be worrisome were it even remotely worth worrying about.

Pompadour

This post itself is misleading unless you forgot to what I was referring. You responded to meerak's lengthy post about SFV's gameplay and your response was questioning how many fighting games he's played, implying that he hasn't played many otherwise he wouldn't have his opinion. That has nothing to do with "fictionalizing points, arguing against things I didn't say instead of pointing out where I said something incorrect."

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you either assumed I was talking about your response to OP or that you're not referring to me. But what I quoted originally was most definitely a shitpost.

Precisely this.

Unfortunately, they just do not get it. It's like they inexplicably link the quality SFV to their own egos and self-worth. It would be worrisome were it even remotely worth worrying about.

Please. I've said throughout this thread that the reason people like you get away with shitposting is because SFV is flawed enough that they don't want to put the effort into debunking bullshit. Feign apathy all you want, you're still posting here even if our defense of SFV is "worrisome were it even remotely worth worrying about" whatever that means.

Pro tip: don't shitpost and you won't have to pretend like you don't care when people disagree.

Forward

This post itself is misleading unless you forgot to what I was referring. You responded to meerak's lengthy post about SFV's gameplay and your response was questioning how many fighting games he's played, implying that he hasn't played many otherwise he wouldn't have his opinion. That has nothing to do with "fictionalizing points, arguing against things I didn't say instead of pointing out where I said something incorrect."

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you either assumed I was talking about your response to OP or that you're not referring to me. But what I quoted originally was most definitely a shitpost.

Please. I've said throughout this thread that the reason people like you get away with shitposting is because SFV is flawed enough that they don't want to put the effort into debunking bullshit. Feign apathy all you want, you're still posting here even if our defense of SFV is "worrisome were it even remotely worth worrying about" whatever that means.

Pro tip: don't shitpost and you won't have to pretend like you don't care when people disagree.

Passing amusement =/= caring. Not that I'd expect you to understand, given your inexplicably emphatic investment in your attempts to disprove the fact that SFV is a bad game make mountains out of molehills... so, um, yeah, sure guy - why not? You win for losing. Pro tip: it's not the detractors you are actually fighting with.

MrCarter

Why is this silly, obnoxious troll not banned yet? Mods I don't know how to flag up people like him (ironic that his name is "Forward" when it should be "Backwards") but if you can do a bit of pest control here it would be most welcome.

because all it boils down to is "lol daed gaem" and you can't say shit about a more popular game without the actual reason behind it being that you're salty your game doesn't get the entrants

never mind the fact that I've never settled and if at any given time no fighting game appeals to me I will simply play nothing

Queue toxic YouTube comments (from his very own fanbase) accusing Max of being a shill for putting it number 1 lol.

I know Max is a KI and Mahvel shill but when he drones about losing casuals when he was a big fan of SFIII, which failed commercially, it irks me a little due to the hypocrisy. Then to round it off, he says he won't cover any new characters unless he likes the look of them, even though a lot of misinformed people go to his channel to see the character breakdowns.

No way....

Bought it on day one and I am still disappointed. You just cannot release a full price game with that little content. Right now its quite lackluster, but does anyone remember how barebones it was at release?

It's probably a decent bet if you happen to be American, Japanese or from some european countries. But in South America it's really hard to find people to play. And since it does not have single player content, it's been on my digital shelve since the days the Story mode was released. I may play it 10 minutes each friday to get 5.5k FM and that's it. Probably an hour or so whenever a new character is released to get some more FM.

Forward

Why is this silly, obnoxious troll not banned yet? Mods I don't know how to flag up people like him (ironic that his name is "Forward" when it should be "Backwards") but if you can do a bit of pest control here it would be most welcome.

If disagreeing with you were a bannable offense, 3/4 of this thread would be grey. Get over yourself. You'll be better for it.

Big0Bear

Ain't that the truth. It's especially funny coming from him when KOF14 is literally non-existent in the FGC with only 375 entrants at EVO. This is the sort of stuff that is pathetic and damaging, "Oh your game is more popular and well received than my game, so I will find a way to jump on the bandwagon and completely ignore the issues my game has, to bring it down".

Popular doesn't always equal good. Sfv is mainstream had a ton of entrants at evo but micheal bays transformers movies make a crap ton of money and yet have negative reviews and are usually garbage

SephLuis

No way....

Bought it on day one and I am still disappointed. You just cannot release a full price game with that little content. Right now its quite lackluster, but does anyone remember how barebones it was at release?

It's probably a decent bet if you happen to be American, Japanese or from some european countries. But in South America it's really hard to find people to play. And since it does not have single player content, it's been on my digital shelve since the days the Story mode was released. I may play it 10 minutes each friday to get 5.5k FM and that's it. Probably an hour or so whenever a new character is released to get some more FM.

Hello, I play the game since the release (even before if the betas count) and I'm Brazilian.

I have no issues finding opponents every day and playing for as long as I want (or until I am too salty to continue).

I just searched for Brazilian communities inside Discord and there's enough (won't say plenty) people in there that play every day. Wish I could say the same for Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator, which is another game that I would like to dedicate myself more, but it's much harder to find training partners there, even on Discord.

MrCarter

I wouldn't be surprised if you and Backwards were some of those people in those YouTube comments lol.

Popular doesn't always equal good. Sfv is mainstream had a ton of entrants at evo but micheal bays transformers movies make a crap ton of money and yet have negative reviews and are usually garbage

Comparing a game that people and pros might heavily invest in their life with something that you passively watch in a couple hours is night and day. If you look it up, journalist reviews have been generally good for the game, it's just the "casuals" and the Capcom hate brigade that don't like it as usual.

Durden77

I've loved it since release, and I love it now. It's problems at release were undeniable, and it still has some issues, but I have more hours in that game already than probably any other game this generation. Good, fun, meaningful hours that I don't want to spend anywhere else. And I will continue to play it.

I completely understand the flak it got at launch, and how people were saying it was unfinished, but I really just don't care. The 60$ I spent on it at launch has paid off dividends. But I do know that could be something more specific to my tastes.

I would love for more people to enjoy it, and realize just how fucking awesome it can be, because nearly everything, not just the gameplay, is clean as fuck while you're actually playing the game. But sadly, it's hard considering all the issues it's had. I think it's time to move on too, but I don't know if the world will be ready until a SSSFV or something.

Big0Bear

I wouldn't be surprised if you and Backwards were some of those people in those YouTube comments lol.

Comparing a game that people and pros might heavily invest in their life with something that you passively watch in a couple hours is night and day. If you look it up, journalist reviews have been generally good for the game, it's just the "casuals" and the Capcom hate brigade that don't like it as usual.

But pros play to make money doesn't actually mean they enjoy it. The game isn't transformers bad. I just used that to show you that popularity doesn't mean it's good.

And I do owe capcom for my love of fighting games back snes. I loved that company but they have fallen that's why I'm being so critical. I feel other companies are doing what cap used to do. They show extra love add tons of things just for fun. Cap milks with Dlc and has released a few unfinished games and looks like they are going to do it again soon.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I don't think oneida is projecting his own feelings because he didn't care about 4 either. That's 100 percent his observation.
nah full transparency i was really into SFIV from 2009-2012. but i do believe that in 2010 spirits were much higher than they are in 2017 wrt SF.

painey

uHVfw54.jpg

nah full transparency i was really into SFIV from 2009-2012. but i do believe that in 2010 spirits were much higher than they are in 2017 wrt SF.
No doubt about that. It was a honeymoon period for the franchise with a new generation of people getting into it.

cordy

Banned
Yeah, but at the same time that lack of modes has fostered a sense of hostility that make people just outright lie about the quality of the mechanics or write it off entirely. Maybe instead of saying that it's a "bad game" which implies that the systems and fighting itself isn't good, they should say it "lacks content" because that's a better way of communicating it.

The majority of people who say SFV is a bad game aren't talking about the gameplay mechanics, that's a minority and a small minority at that. Not many people actually lie about how many the game's played. When people say it's a "bad game" that doesn't necessarily translate into "well the game doesn't play well", that's just your assumption due to what you're used to. If somebody says something is a bad game my mind doesn't automatically go into gameplay, I wonder why they say it. It could be story, it could be characters, it could be length compared to price, it could be graphics, it could even be gameplay but overall it varies. That comment does just doesn't imply gameplay and if someone thinks so then they're used to the FGC mindset of "well gameplay's what matters most and what dictates if something is bad" when that's far from true.

I literally have seen almost everyone on GAF who has ever disliked SFV say it doesn't deal with how the game's played. You must be looking elsewhere because you're speaking from a pov of the minority. Some people have said it but that's a small amount compared to others like myself.

Personally, my issues with this game aren't with the gameplay as the game's great in action. I'm not playing due to the characters I want in. I'm not playing due to the lack of modes aka Arcade Mode which I'm heavily involved in other games with ala Tekken 7. I'm not playing due to the fact that I'm not invested enough in this game to play with what's bad attached to it. It's gotta give me more and granted I know for a fact I'm not the only one as most of those against this thread has said the exact same thing as I have. The problem is a lot of SFV defenders keep acting like what they think is great automatically means it'll work for others when it's false. Most of yall were defending this game last year when it was heavily fucking up over every report so trying to say "well look at it now" doesn't mean a thing to those who were against the comments then.

It's again a disconnect. Once it gets these extra characters, modes and somehow get the stink off it people's opinions will change. That's not dealing with how the game's played though as I have fun when I'm beating someone's ass. It's just outside of the rush moments I think to myself "wow, eh, I guess that's it."

If you look it up, journalist reviews have been generally good for the game, it's just the "casuals" and the Capcom hate brigade that don't like it as usual.

so everyone who likes fast games and strict inputs and timings and expansive movesets and automatically can't fuck with this as a result is either a casual or part of a "Capcom hate brigade"

I don't like how it plays. I don't like how it continues the trend that had started with IV and I don't like how even games from other, non-Capcom franchises that I otherwise still enjoy are following suit even if it's to a lesser extent still. It's not fucking hard to understand and has nothing to do with hating Capcom for the sake of it. I'd be back on board in a split-second if they made fighting games the way I enjoy them but they're not doing that and their statements regarding MvCi about how SFV of all games might be considered hard to get into don't give me any hope that I'll enjoy their future games.

I mean I want this fucking "previous game was too hard, let's remove shit and make it more lenient and slow things down" cycle to just fucking stop regardless of the developer involved.

SephLuis

Says every troll whose favorite game was ignored and it blames SF lol

People don't like the game because of the mechanics, mind games, characters and everything else. People like it because of Stockholm Syndrome and we all should be playing Shaq Fu

Top Bottom