• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think MF DOOM is the greatest hip hop artist that ever lived

Listening to King Geedorah Take Me To Your Leader, after having revisited most of his other albums recently since I felt like a groovy time.

c0a80e3098696bdf600f54a76667c069.1000x1000x1.jpg

Operation DOOMSDAY 1999

This album is pretty much the start of it all, even though DOOM made his original debut with KMD and later some stuff with Monsta Island Czars, 1999's Operation Doomsday is a bombshell of a record. This was the first hiphop album that made me appreciate a genre I largely disregarded, despite loving classic Soul and funk. Nothing could hold my attention, nothing was as layered or as beautiful as Operation Doomsday, the other thing was that as much as DOOM was on the album, he had a lot of guest acts that straight fucking killed it on every track. He uses obscure samples, as well as a lot of references to and from classic marvel and DC shows occasionally, but it is pretty clear MF DOOM is a Marvel fan, which honestly makes me appreciate him even more. He creates this persona as the supervillain of the world, of rap, of hiphop, of injustice. Like Dr.Doom of the Marvel Universe, he cares about his people, he sees the vast injustices of the system and oppression and calls it out. The man is a fuming lyricist of brilliant venomous delivery, the man is incredibly talented with his beats and usage of samples, his sense of rhythm and appreciation for classic soul, funk, and electronic as well as jazz(considering he samples tons of Sun Ra).

King Geedorah- Take Me To Your Leader 2003

King_Geedorah_-_Take_Me_to_Your_Leader_album_cover.jpg

This time DOOM, raps under different personas and invites his fellow Monsta Island Czars to create what is probably one of DOOM's most prolific albums, it will only be topped by his further creative efforts, in 2004 with both Madvillain and Vaudeville Villain under the guise of Viktor Vaughn and Madvillain respectively.

The different personas combine to create the different "heads" of Geedorah, and the songs culminate in a sinister way that only DOOM can create. Borderline Lovecraftian dread, with truth bombs designed to obliterate.

I don't think any other albums quite approach the sound of this one though except for parts of MM..Food?, Occult Hymn, The Mouse and The Mask, or my other personal favorite, MF DOOM BORN LIKE THIS. Which features more of that psychedelic layering that King Geedorah, NehruvianDOOM, and Operation Doomsday all have.

So, instead of going on a breakdown of each album I want to know GAF what is the general consensus of DOOM and his creative output?

What are your favorites?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
He's got a lot of shit but there are a lot of gems in there. I love a lot of his really random and nerdy shit like some of the stuff he did with Adult Swim.

Vaudeville Villain is my favorite album of all time, beside like, Illmatic

DOOM is a personal deity, if I'm being honest. The way I evoke his rhymes & profess his greatness...

MF DOOM is easily the best of all time

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
While I do not agree, it is not an insane argument. He is one of the most influential emcees I have ever heard and he changed how I make music. STILL, Top 15 on a safe list.

Man I remember paying like $60 for an "original pressing" of Doomsday like 10 years ago or so. Worth every dam penny
Vaudeville Villain is my favorite album of all time, beside like, Illmatic

DOOM is a personal deity, if I'm being honest. The way I evoke his rhymes & profess his greatness...

MF DOOM is easily the best of all time
All true.

Real talk. Here's a fucking awesome analysis of his flow, dude is next level

I mean listen to this shit.

He is next level compared to anyone else, you have dudes like Mos Def who, honestly are respected in their own right, throwing mad love to the dude because MF DOOM is next level. Like most real artists he will probably be forgotten or disregarded for whatever big fad is out there but people who really appreciate music will love MF DOOM, and the stuff he creates. He's like the David Bowie or Iggy Pop of Hip Hop, the dude is constantly creative, reinventing himself with a familiar sound, but always takes it to the next level.

mortal

Gold Member
DOOM all capitals, no trick spelling.

While I don't care much for lists, he's one of my favorite Emcees ever.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
2 hot solo records, 5 dope instrumentals and 2 great "before he was known records" the rest is booty and he can't put together a coherent project together in the last 10 years.

I was also at one of his imposter shows. dude can get fucked. There are way harder working rappers and producers out there than DOOM. he's just coasting on an aging legacy that is shorter than his huge list of reasons why he can't drop a proper project that is worth the 50 cents worth of plastic it gets burned onto.

Village

I don't think so. He's one of my favorites, don't get me wrong. He's up there, but there are so many for me up there in my " Weird rappers are my favorite" category I can't choose a winner.

We aren't even going to mention people who do hip hop who just produce, because then I have to decide whether I like madlib or MF doom better, and that's hard.

His last album was mostly forgettable, he skips out on concerts, and his production technique doesn't have tons of versatility.
He's put out some classics for sure, but I don't think he passes the test.

Village

How can one opinion be so wrong.

I think as a guy who also can make a beat I feel like he is extremely limited in hwo he does his stuff. I think that's why a lot of his best songs, he isn't producing.

Or they are remixed.

He mentioned wanting to work with Kanye multiple times. I'm interested if I can ever hear what the fuck that even is. Because I want to hear it

Top Bottom