• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think MF DOOM is the greatest hip hop artist that ever lived

DOOM is by far my favorite rapper and one of my favorite producers. His run from Operation: Doomsday to Madvillainy is pretty fucking good, and I don't know what happened that made him lose the spark, but he's been hit or miss since.

There's an occasional track here or there where some of that magic comes back out, and I hold out hope that he's got one more amazing record in him somewhere.

Schattenjäger;237749418 said:
From what I understand, he always attends concerts where he sends fakes .. he's just by the bar chillin

It's a play off his Doom moniker... Dr Doom has a lot of fakes in comic books
Maybe ask Slayven to describe

Guy is a legend

Yup, he really is a supervillain.

IDK if he's GOAT, but give me Doom over Ye or Drake any day (and I really like Ye & Drake)

He's no Macklemore.

Is this joke still relevant?

Anywho, love DOOM. It's actually been a minute since I listened to one of his albums. I'll have to remedy that.

Jakoo

Doom had an amazing run of productivity but he hasn't put anything really that astounding out as of late.

If the dude retired after Madvilliany I'd consider his output near perfect, but the recent output of Born Like This, JJ DOOM, and NehruvianDoom were pretty damn clunky IMO.

Been listening to Doom for over a decade now, and he surprises me more every time. Not everything that the dude drops is magnificence, but his good tracks are exceptional.

My favorite is Rhinestone Cowboy, but I ain't mad if pretty well anything else he's done queues up on the playlist.

Love Doom. Latest thing I listened to was a remix of some tracks with Sade. It's called Sadevillian and it's smooth. It's on SoundCloud.

phanphare

Banned
just gonna give a shout to the DangerDOOM album

rarely hear people talk about that one but it's one of my favorites of his. just good stuff front to back.

noquarter

I really like DOOM, but don't think I can go with greatest. Definitely in my top 10 though, maybe even top 5.

I was never a huge hip hop guy, though I mostly listened to underground stuff but I could never figure out why he was so loved. I tried giving him a listen a few times and just couldn't get into it.
What albums did you listen to? I really think The Mouse and the Mask is probably one of the easiest to get into. Has some Adult Swim 'skits and Old School with Talib Kweli is fantastic with DOOM only really on half the song, maybe giving you an easier time to 'get his flow.

Operation: DOOMSDAY is also really easy to get into, IMO. MM..FOOD also flows pretty good.

Madvillian I had to listen to a couple times to get the whole album and enjoy it all the way through, same with King Geedorah.

just gonna give a shout to the DangerDOOM album

rarely hear people talk about that one but it's one of my favorites of his. just good stuff front to back.

I feel like DangerDoom demonstrates a level of mastery, but the source material (Adult Swim) dragged it down for me. Some of those beats were ridiculous though. No Names dropped my jaw wide open.

phanphare

Banned
I feel like DangerDoom demonstrates a level of mastery, but the source material (Adult Swim) dragged it down for me. Some of those beats were ridiculous though. No Names dropped my jaw wide open.

yeah I have some nostalgia for all that golden age adult swim stuff so that helps. loved the harvey birdman and space ghost bits.

Bolivar687

Banned
I just started listening to Doomsday again this morning. The four album run from Doomsday - Gheedorah - Vaudeville Villain - Madvillainy, where he had a different role in each one, is pretty much a flawless string of albums. Unfortunately, as perfect as it is, you do hear the laziness start to set in on Madvillain and I haven't been able to get into any of his music since. Those four though are so good that they definitely put Doom firmly within the top echelon of my favorites.

see5harp

I don't think he's the greatest, but he's released a few incredible projects, which is more than I can say about most rappers. I just wish Madvillainy 2 would come out already.

StylusX

What the fuck happen to Kookies! Listen to it on Spotify and they changed the beat, it's awful. One of my fav Doom track ends up like that. Disgraceful. Gonna guess sampling issue, when did it change?

Indelible

MF Doom is way to hit or miss for my tastes, he has equal amounts dope and bad shit in his discography. Vaudeville Villain is a classic though.

Madvillainy is one of the best hiphop albums ever made. Its as simple as that really.

his rhyming and flow would leave most rappers heads spinning. He's incredibly funny and intelligent. Unique.

He's in my top 3 MC's of all time and depending how i feel on the day you ask me he maybe my favourite.

He has the ability to flow over some of the most unconventional beats and make it sound effortless. There is a great video of mos def dissecting his lyrics. Its a must watch.

Magus1234

I really like DOOM, but don't think I can go with greatest. Definitely in my top 10 though, maybe even top 5.

What albums did you listen to? I really think The Mouse and the Mask is probably one of the easiest to get into. Has some Adult Swim 'skits and Old School with Talib Kweli is fantastic with DOOM only really on half the song, maybe giving you an easier time to 'get his flow.

Operation: DOOMSDAY is also really easy to get into, IMO. MM..FOOD also flows pretty good.

Madvillian I had to listen to a couple times to get the whole album and enjoy it all the way through, same with King Geedorah.

Thanks I'll check it out, I am actually a Talib fan so at least there is that. I can't remember what albums, it was years and years ago.

Jakoo

Never heard of Doomposters, amazing concept. And really shitty if you paid money and waited for hours.

I don't even know how mad I'd be; it's such an interesting artistic statement that is so in line with his persona, even if it was just a lazy cashgrab from his perspective.

I think the only problem was that I heard Doomposter wasn't that good of a performer, which would be a bumout.

Big fan of his work, and I just bought Madvillainy on vinyl. And really, Take Me To Your Leader is criminally underlooked when people talk about Doom's catalog and hip-hop albums in general.

But no, Doom is not a top tier artist in hip-hop, imho. So many more charismatic MC's out there.

phanphare

Banned
always loved this one, one of my favorite DOOM tracks

Scared of a bunch of water, then get out the rain
Order a rapper for lunch and spit out the chain
Then kick a lungee off the tip of his Timbo
And trick a honey dip into a game of strip limbo
Odd - he couldn't find no remorse
A wink is as good as a nod to a blind horse
Of course his technique was from a divine source
Never knew the price of ice, or what swine cost
One guy tried to bite the heat
That's when he discovered the other other white meat
Ohhhh! The one they hate so well
He sure keeps it psycho like the old Bates Motel
They came to ask him for at least some new tracks
But only got confronted by the beast with two backs
Knock - Mouse is a made man
Villain laid it down like the best laid plan
Belle the Cat, who the hell is that near the middle
Got y'all but it's not all beer and Skittles
Prepare the vittles, got riddles and spittles
Crystal clear to the jot, or the tittle
Sssst! It's hot off the griddle
Came to take the cake whether it's a lot, or a little
Kaboom; DOOM is nervous large
You could tell by his blooming room service charge
... Dark and tall to boot
The only thing was wrong was he was bald as a coot
Used to rent a van from Peter Pan, the red and tan
And keep the human foot for his dead man's hand
This was when the mask was brand spanking new
Before it got rusted, from dranking all the brew
Stanking too, pew
Kept all his earnings in the bank and his shoe
Spat what he knew, energy for true
To all fake rappers, twenty-three skidoo
Excuse you, any room in the class front?
For a blast of the blunt, shrooming since last month
Doom a human in the Mask, born to stunt
Danger zooming past mad fast on the hunt
Keep your streets, we got the city neatly conquered
Discretely with the CD till they be completely bonkered
The fans demanded it, handled it, swallow it
His own brand of shit, if only he could bottle it
Hmm... Nah, shit could get messy
The feds tried to torture him for the secret recipe
He said it's no use, I only know half
No speaka de english, I only do the math
... BZZT! Felt no pain