• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think MF DOOM is the greatest hip hop artist that ever lived

His copycats aren't even close to touching him btw.

Like for real dude, I have listened to probably every one of them, not even Earl Sweatshirt gets close. MF DOOM is the real deal in my eyes, a lot like how I view people like Lemmy Kilmeister, David Bowie, Iggy Pop, The Who collectively.

Like the dude is a legend to me, as for people talking about the Live show controversy that is the first time I've heard of that, although after googling that is super interesting, and a pretty shitty thing to do. Not gonna defend that, but I will defend the dude's studio albums, his stuff has a soul and a sound. It doesn't sound like trash, It is extremely well produced which as an audiophile that is very important to me. The dude will forever me a legend to me.

Village

I might be weird.

But I like the weird madvilliany 2 remix album than the normal one. Its super weird, and has a lot of better takes on songs

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
he's definitely up there. Take me to your leader and Mm...Food are gold in my eyes.

Shame he doesn't make much music anymore... another time and place, I guess

Schattenjäger;237748047 said:
It was his last "official" release

Madvillain throwaway

Give me DoomStarks already wtf

I know, Angels was fire. I need more of that in my life right now, new Gorillaz and Iggy Pop is not enough. :(

Honestly, I would even take a lo-fi effort from him that is more back to basics, like I need more MF DOOM in my life.

I listen to plenty. I choose to give money to artists who actually show up to concerts instead of sending fakes.

That has nothing to do with actually listening to music, and you know what I mean. You could still choose to just listen to studio albums, which is something I do because I have several anxiety disorders and issues with large crowds. The thing is, I prefer the studio performance because there is no variation. It always sounds like I expect it to.

Now I don't expect anyone to be beholden to the same rule, I'm just saying appreciation of music is about the artist and not necessarily about ethics or politics.

I understand that you have a personal grievance, that is cool man that is fine, but you can't disregard the entire mans legacy because he used a body double, was absent, or too drunk on a few occasions. I think from there, you could form a pattern to a persons behavior, be like "I appreciate your art, but I won't be going to your live shows" instead of just not supporting someone as groundbreaking as MF DOOM.

I can understand if the case is someone being morally reprehensible, but I hardly find what DOOM did to be that bad, since you know, Fyre festival. That is a case in ethics.

DOOM's like classic classic to me was DangerDOOM but Born Like This is probably underrated

I'll tell you, the song Caskets on NehruvianDOOM is vintage Dumile

Mesoian

joelseph

ANTWON---Press-Pic-2-by-Cali-Dewitt.jpg

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
I listen to plenty. I choose to give money to artists who actually show up to concerts instead of sending fakes.
From what I understand, he always attends concerts where he sends fakes .. he's just by the bar chillin

It's a play off his Doom moniker... Dr Doom has a lot of fakes in comic books
Maybe ask Slayven to describe

Guy is a legend

November has come is dope.

See, the saddest thing for me about this is the sheer fact:

DOOM never performed live with Gorillaz, and the simple plain fact that it left me wanting an entire album of Gorillaz and DOOM tracks.

I am saddened that in the alternate reality where there is no Donald Trump as President, there is also an entire album by the Gorillaz and MF DOOM.

In my dreams, it is amazing. Then I wake up, realizing the thirst for Tony Starkz and MF DOOM will never be quenched.

I'm lost dude.

damn not even all caps and rhinestone cowboy?
You don't like Figaro? That song is insane.
Seriously, Accordion hit me in the fact right of the bat and had an easy rhythm/flow for me to follow while he methodically laid out his bars in a way that made it so multiple lines still stick with me even though I'm not a DOOM fan.
No other song sucked me in that much and the rest of the album felt to far into well, his style, and as his style isn't for me that's just how my listening panned out.

Stop poisoning the well for the rest of us, OP. Now I gotta think twice before ever mentioning him again.

I'm sorry, I just love music. I guess I will go make an Iggy Pop thread to distract everyone from the MF DOOM thread, so that it can fade into non-existence, and you can have your day.

Exr

Yeah hes fantastic but Im sick of him hocking bullshit merch on Facebook. When is the guy going to release new stuff

jetsetrez

He's great, but I think people don't give enough credit to the amazing producers and beats he is constantly given too. He has some of the most aesthetically pleasing sound scapes in all of hip hop.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
He's a good lyricist, but I prefer it when rappers vary up their delivery and pitch more. Doom has a kind of monotone delivery that gets old after a while.

Mahonay

Banned
He's great, but I think people don't give enough credit to the amazing producers and beats he is constantly given too. He has some of the most aesthetically pleasing sound scapes in all of hip hop.
Yup. I fucking love MF DOOM and the production has a lot to do with it.

Magus1234

I was never a huge hip hop guy, though I mostly listened to underground stuff but I could never figure out why he was so loved. I tried giving him a listen a few times and just couldn't get into it.

You mean the beats from his dead brother Sub-roc? or all the special herbs & spices that Metal Fingers himself produced?

DOOM himself is the primary reason his sound scape is so glorious. Operation DOOMSDAY, MM FOOD, Take Me To Your Leader were all primary produced by the villain himself

I do think that he rhymes even better when he hands off the production for a project.

Top Bottom