• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ICC Cricket World Cup 2015 |OT| The World comes Down Under

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Happy for Australia (though sad Clarke didn't finish it off), but I feel disappointed somehow. It was very classy cricket, and NZ had an amazing tournament, of that there's no doubt. I'm just deflated that it wasn't more of a fight. Feels like an off ending, somehow.

Eh, that's the thing though, fairy-tales rarely happen. I'd say for most people the ideal finish would be new zealand winning it for the country and martin crowe.

Happy for Australia (though sad Clarke didn't finish it off), but I feel disappointed somehow. It was very classy cricket, and NZ had an amazing tournament, of that there's no doubt. I'm just deflated that it wasn't more of a fight. Feels like an off ending, somehow.

I can see how you'd feel like that, I imagine this is why a lot of cricket fans don't like australia winning. When they have won the World Cup (besides '87), they have been favourite to win it and usually dominate the tournament (which they did here besides that New Zealand group game). All their finals have been boilovers.

Edit - All finals besides 96' have been boil overs when they lost to Sri lanka

Yagharek

This was a tournament dominated by strong batting performances.

And it was a tournament won by the best bowling and fielding team by a mile.

Eh, that's the thing though, fairy-tales rarely happen. I'd say for most people the ideal finish would be new zealand winning it for the country and martin crowe.

Yeah. I guess I was hoping for something a little more magical and less of a one-sided end. Would have been stoked as hell for NZ if they'd won, or if Australia had edged out a win too. After so many amazing close games it just felt a bit anti-climactic.

Having Clarke play so well and having Smith (presumed new captain) finish it off was still storybook-like in its end, so there is that. Just bummed that there won't be more cricket for ages now too, I guess.

I can see how you'd feel like that, I imagine this is why a lot of cricket fans don't like australia winning. When they have won the World Cup (besides '87), they have been favourite to win it and usually dominate the tournament (which they did here besides that New Zealand group game). All their finals have been boilovers.

Edit - All finals besides 96' have been boil overs when they lost to Sri lanka

That too. After the win hubby tried to say that Aus is punching above its weight in sport lately, but I feel like they've been pretty dominating in cricket (Ashes, Tri-series, and now World Cup). I want to see the minnows wreak havoc next time (and NZ). Anything against England is ours, though. :)

That too. After the win hubby tried to say that Aus is punching above its weight in sport lately, but I feel like they've been pretty dominating in cricket (Ashes, Tri-series, and now World Cup). I want to see the minnows wreak havoc next time (and NZ). Anything against England is ours, though. :)

Dunno about punching above our weight, it seems like all our sporting teams and individuals are doing worse than late 90s early 2000s. We have been on a steady decline, I've felt.

Soccer we were above expectations at the World Cup given the young team but we are getting better and will be very competitive next World Cup, really good youngsters coming through. But ten years ago we had far better individual players.

Rugby we have turned to shit. We used to be decent in the eales and Gregan days.

League is ok because no one other than New Zealand and England play.

Afl we are the original and the best.

Cricket, well we have had some recent success but this team would be wiped by the teams of early 2000s.

Motor sport - we used to have world champion Motobike riders, but now we have only one rider in moto gp. Ricciardo is ok in f1 but shit car.

Basketball is about the only sport where I'd say our current national team is better than what we had ten years ago, but even that isn't clear cut and just based on the number of nba players.

Netball still wins though.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah. I guess I was hoping for something a little more magical and less of a one-sided end. Would have been stoked as hell for NZ if they'd won, or if Australia had edged out a win too. After so many amazing close games it just felt a bit anti-climactic.

Having Clarke play so well and having Smith (presumed new captain) finish it off was still storybook-like in its end, so there is that. Just bummed that there won't be more cricket for ages now too, I guess.

England in west indies, IPL....

Cricket never stops!

Well that was an anticlimactic match.

Congratulations to Australia though. Well deserved championship. Clinical finish to an awesome campaign.

RBH

IPL.Newskerala.png

http://www.iplt20.com

:)

Vaddon

Congrats to Australia, great performance by them throughout the tournament and a nice way to top off Clarke's ODI career. Sad to see a number of legends retire after this tournament, they'll be missed. Looking forward to all the cricket to come in the coming months though!

I'll also plug the general cricket thread for any newcomers who might want to join us, lots to look forward to!

hamchan

Yeah it's a really stacked year. Even if you just follow Australia, it's just a few months and it's another huge event with the Ashes. Then after the Ashes it's not long again until the Australian cricket season starts again...

Dunno about punching above our weight, it seems like all our sporting teams and individuals are doing worse than late 90s early 2000s. We have been on a steady decline, I've felt.

Soccer we were above expectations at the World Cup given the young team but we are getting better and will be very competitive next World Cup, really good youngsters coming through. But ten years ago we had far better individual players.

Rugby we have turned to shit. We used to be decent in the eales and Gregan days.

League is ok because no one other than New Zealand and England play.

Afl we are the original and the best.

Cricket, well we have had some recent success but this team would be wiped by the teams of early 2000s.

Motor sport - we used to have world champion Motobike riders, but now we have only one rider in moto gp. Ricciardo is ok in f1 but shit car.

Basketball is about the only sport where I'd say our current national team is better than what we had ten years ago, but even that isn't clear cut and just based on the number of nba players.

Netball still wins though.

Soccer for sure, cricket I feel like Aus is pretty strong (were the early 2000s really that much better?), AFL is AFL (and that will keep me pretty happy in between other sports), F1 I'm getting a little into, basketball no interest but glad to hear things are stepping up, and netball just seems weird to me. So overall... holding steady with a slight incline? :D I find it hard to believe 2000s cricketers would be that much better than what we have now.

England in west indies, IPL....

Cricket never stops!

This is good news! I thought it was all over and I'd only have AFL and random international soccer matches to tide me over until next Ashes or Tri-series or WC or Big Bash or... (there really are a ton of cricket formats)

You're a legend. I will check it out.

Congrats to Australia, great performance by them throughout the tournament and a nice way to top off Clarke's ODI career. Sad to see a number of legends retire after this tournament, they'll be missed. Looking forward to all the cricket to come in the coming months though!

I'll also plug the general cricket thread for any newcomers who might want to join us, lots to look forward to!

Oh ho! Had no idea there was one. Will stop by perhaps. Thanks!

kmag

Yeah it's a really stacked year. Even if you just follow Australia, it's just a few months and it's another huge event with the Ashes. Then after the Ashes it's not long again until the Australian cricket season starts again...

Before the Sri Lankan trip, Stuart Broad was saying he'd worked out if he played in every game England could play (and bear in mind they don't play IPL), he'd be spending around 300 days of the 365 days this year in a hotel room which is madness.

Yagharek

Soccer for sure, cricket I feel like Aus is pretty strong (were the early 2000s really that much better?), AFL is AFL (and that will keep me pretty happy in between other sports), F1 I'm getting a little into, basketball no interest but glad to hear things are stepping up, and netball just seems weird to me. So overall... holding steady with a slight incline? :D I find it hard to believe 2000s cricketers would be that much better than what we have now.

I'm pretty sure Australia won every test series between 1992 and 2005 (last loss was to Windies in Aus in 91/92 and first loss was Ashes in England in 2005). Perhaps with the exception of a tour in India.

well done aus. happy for clarke, he is the only likeable aussie, what a way to retire. aus are just fukin ruthless in finals, the only nz player that deserves any credit is elliot, rest were shambles.

i fell asleep just after aus picked up 3 wickets in the 2nd powerplay, nz totally collapsed. been a great tournament, some classic games like pak vs sa, nz vs aus, nz vs sa.

t20 is still the king of cricket though, odi just drag on for far too long

well done aus. happy for clarke, he is the only likeable aussie, what a way to retire. aus are just fukin ruthless in finals, the only nz player that deserves any credit is elliot, rest were shambles.

i fell asleep just after aus picked up 3 wickets in the 2nd powerplay, nz totally collapsed. been a great tournament, some classic games like pak vs sa, nz vs aus, nz vs sa.

t20 is still the king of cricket though, odi just drag on for far too long

T20 is the reason the game of cricket itself is in shambles

Test cricket tests your mental and physical resolve as well as skills
ODI tests your skills and physical resolve
T20 tests how good you can slog

so this is the latest pakistani scandal from the WC

http://www.web.pk/2015/sohaib-maqsood-scandal-with-australian-girl

The reports of Sohaib Maqsood falling in love with an Australian girl are all over the social media. Not only Pakistan lost the World Cup 2015 in Australia but Sohaib Maqsood is reported to have lost his heart to the Australian girl as well.

According to social media reports, both Sohaib and the Australian lass were found together most of the time. Not only they both kept meeting in the lobby of the hotel where Sohaib Maqsood was residing along with rest of the Pakistan team but reportedly Sohaib Maqsood gifted the girl his World Cup 2015 kit as well.

aWdyWgi.jpg

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I knew the reason Pakistan didn't win was because of a woman. Nothing to do with terrible grass roots cricket, piss poor organisation and the unfortunate domestic situation.

Either that or Misbah.

Congrats to the Australians, a well deserved win. Smith and Starc have been the highlight of the side for me and really pleased to see a bowler bagging the MoT.

dejay

Banned
I knew the reason Pakistan didn't win was because of a woman. Nothing to do with terrible grass roots cricket, piss poor organisation and the unfortunate domestic situation.

Either that or Misbah.

The Australian team were diligent in their avoidance of girl-germs. That's why they won.

master15

Fell asleep while they were knocking of the final runs. Well doe Australia definitely delivered comprehensive performance when it counted.

Early 2000 teams had three players who could easily be picked in any theoretical best team of all time - McGrath, Warne, Ponting

Then there were a couple who were close to that level - Hayden and Gilchrist

Then there were others who, statistically, if they played for other countries at that time, they'd be one of the best in that team - Gillespie, lee, martyn, langer.

It was the best team of all time. One day cricket has changed a lot since then but to give you an indication, only really smith, Clarke, Harris, Warner and Johnson on his good days would get a sniff into those early 2000 test teams.

Soccer we will become very good in a about four years (I follow the junior teams closely) but in the year 2000 we had a lot more players playing top flight football in Europe but we underachieved as a team.

Firstly, They are two different girls. The one on the right is from a football/soccer game. She is wearing the same outfit as some promo girls did at 2010 World Cup for the fanatics (Aussie soccer fan group). The one on the left is wearing a Spanish (I think, maybe Portugal) soccer hat, and doesn't look like the girl on the right.

I reckon who ever started the rumour has googled "Australian female supporter" or something like that and then gone and flogged the soccer pic.

AxeMan

for the WC there was no members area, they had no rights to entry or a seat.

if they wanted to go they signed into ticketek like everyone else and brought a ticket to whatever seat they could get in whatever area of the ground the seats were available.

Wow.

I didn't think that would happen

My grandparents are over from NZ at the moment and they told me how popular the world cup has been over there, really reignited interest in the sport and they say it seemed even more popular than the rugby world cup which is great to hear. A well stocked challenger over the way will only lead to a better Australian team (and a more entertaining competition!).

I doubt it's even close actually. Last I recall, the RWC 2011 final was the most watched event in the history of NZ TV, like 90% of the country were watching it.

It's definitely breathed fresh air into cricket over here though. It went from being our number two sport to a very long period of being probably number four (behind League and Soccer) but has quickly jumped back up to number two again. It's really surprising how quick they've done this too, I guess it might be because there's a good opening for a summer sport, whereas winter ones have to compete directly with rugby.

Anyway, I quit watching the game by the end because the wickets just weren't falling and Bloodborne seemed like a better use of my time before going to bed (Sunday's such a shit day for a big game), then I was busy all Monday, so I'm posting this early Tuesday morning.

Congrats Aussie fans. Starc's incredible performance was to be expected but Hazlewood came into form at the perfect time and then Johnson coming right for the final made for an unstoppable bowling attack trio. Just incredible to watch, even from this side of the fence. And it was a fitting end to Clarke's ODI career leaving the ground with one last half century, while winning the WC.

It was a disappointing end to the tournament for us, we probably did play our final on Tuesday, but that doesn't change the fact that it was still one hell of a great ride. Guptill's 237*, Southee's 7-for, Boult's emergence, McCullum's captaincy, that SA chase and so on. Plenty to be proud of and for the team to continue to build on.

It'll be interesting to see what happens over Haddin's antics during the game, if anything happens at all (doesn't seem like it will). If Wahab Riaz was fined 50% of his match fee for some minor antics in the quarters, how much is fair for Haddin? 100%? I don't really want to complain but while it was nice to see Clarke finish off his career the way he did, it was pretty shit having one of our own greats, Vettori, play his last game and be insulted and mocked by Haddin.

Brendon McCullum named captain of the side that includes five New Zealanders

The International Cricket Council (ICC) today announced the team of the ICC Cricket World Cup 2015 with Brendon McCullum as its captain.

McCullum was chosen as the captain following his aggressive, innovative and inspirational leadership during the 44-day tournament that was the cornerstone of his team’s progression to the final where it lost to Australia by seven wickets.

In doing so, McCullum also scored 328 runs in nine matches with four half-centuries at a strike-rate of 188.50.

The team was chosen by a select group of experts* who were given the task of picking a balanced side on the basis of performances in the tournament. Statistics were used but were not the sole basis for selections.

In addition to McCullum, the side includes four New Zealanders – Corey Anderson, Trent Boult, Martin Guptill, Daniel Vettori – three Australians in Glenn Maxwell, Steven Smith and Mitchell Starc, two South Africans, AB de Villiers and Morne Morkel, with Sri Lanka’s Kumar Sangakkara as wicketkeeper-batsman.

Zimbabwe’s Brendan Taylor, who finished with 433 runs in six matches, was named as the 12th man.

Team of the ICC Cricket World Cup 2015 in batting order:

Brendon McCullum (New Zealand (captain)

Martin Guptill (New Zealand)

Kumar Sangakkara (Sri Lanka) (wicketkeeper)

Steven Smith (Australia)

AB de Villiers (South Africa)

Glenn Maxwell (Australia)

Corey Anderson (New Zealand)

Daniel Vettori (New Zealand)

Mitchell Starc (Australia)

Trent Boult (New Zealand)

Morne Morkel (South Africa)

Brendan Taylor (Zimbabwe) (12th man)

“There were a number of other players that were discussed as possible selections in the team. These included batsmen Mahmudullah (Bangladesh) and Shaiman Anwar (UAE), fast bowlers Umesh Yadav, Mohammed Shami (both India), Wahab Riaz (Pakistan) and spinners Imran Tahir (South Africa) and R.Ashwin (India).

“But there were so many brilliant individual performances during the tournament that it was not possible to fit them into the team. The panel eventually came up with this side, which, in their view, was the most balanced outfit that is capable of beating any side on any given day.”

*The selection panel that chose the player of the ICC Cricket World Cup 2015 consisted of:

Geoff Allardice (ICC General Manager – Cricket)

Andrew Alderson (Journalist, New Zealand Herald)

Harsha Bhogle (Broadcaster)

Richard Kettleborough (Member of Emirates Elite Panel of ICC Umpires and ICC Umpire of the Year 2014)

Chloe Saltau (Journalist, The Age)

Michael Vaughan (Former England captain and broadcaster)]

I don't agree with McCullum selection. He scored less runs than four other openers and in one more game: Warner, Dhawan, Gayle, and Amla. He also didn't score a century.

They said that his captaincy was the the corner stone of the team progressing to the final, but New Zealand had the most players selected in the xi, so was it his captaincy or the others five's performances (I'd go with the latter).

And he failed with the bat in their most important game.

Also don't agree with morkel. He took some wickets but he didn't bowl great. The two he bowled in the semi were chopped on, and the other wickets were all short of good length. RIaz troubled better batsmen and in more matches (against India, South Africa and Australia).

It'll be interesting to see what happens over Haddin's antics during the game, if anything happens at all (doesn't seem like it will). If Wahab Riaz was fined 50% of his match fee for some minor antics in the quarters, how much is fair for Haddin? 100%? I don't really want to complain but while it was nice to see Clarke finish off his career the way he did, it was pretty shit having one of our own greats, Vettori, play his last game and be insulted and mocked by Haddin.

Nothing will happen because the icc is racist towards whites...just kidding.

We don't know what he said but it can't have been deemed obscene or insulting (which is what riaz was fined under) given they haven't announced any thing on the icc, it's usually the next day at the latest.

wachie

Callback to my earlier post that peaking has been the key to every WC and this was no different. The way Australia played the last two games, it looked like they were in a completely different tier than the rest of the teams (even the top 4). So them winning the cup was fitting. Australia becomes the second host to win a WC. Looks like the jinx that comes with being a host is not valid anymore. England will like this for 2019 :) I really think that Starc won them this WC, especially since his was operating in a different class than even the rest of his squad. Johnson only had tenacity for a brief while in the game against India and Faulkner in the final but it was Starc that who was consistently on the minds of the opposition's batting. It will be really interesting to see how he goes from here. He should definitely watch his mouth though. Overall, this side is still very young. I can only see Johnson and Watson missing out on the next WC (Haddin will retire and Clarke already has), so all they need to do is bring in Cummins for Johnson and possibly bring Mitch Marsh for Watson. Replacing Haddin isnt a big hole and they could have won this cup even with Wade, so I'm sure they can find a suitable replacement in the next few years.

For India, it was always a case of doing better than the expectations and they did just that. Win a game against Pakistan, progress to the knockouts and we can blame the rest on such and such factor. Dhoni's post match statements mirror this and this is the wrong approach. Overall if they continue working on their bowling, they will be a good side. I definitely dont think Kohli should succeed Dhoni. They also need to get rid of Jadeja or atleast get him to improve his bowling/batting more. India also needs to be more flexible, as shown by Australia. If they needed a quick hit, they should send in Raina/Jadeja rather than the same batting order irrespective of the situation.

South Africa, man watching AB in the post match conference was painful. He looked like he personally lost the game for SA, which he might have but you cant always burden the responsibility on one person, it is after all a team game. They have a lot of holes to fill, DeKock is not player for them. Scoring three consecutive hundreds against a shitty Indian bowling attack is no reason for believing in him so much. Put Faf up with Amla, bring up Duminy at 3 and AB at 4 with Miller at 5. Get in Behardien or some other fellow who can bit hit and roll his arm over. AB also needs to take a leaf out of Smith's captaincy, he was so defensive throughout the tournament.

New Zealand, well I was hoping that they dont have their bad day on Sunday and it happened. McCullum's approach for his second ball was right but not his third. He should have done a Gayle and played very defensive as soon as he saw the amount of swing. Same with Guptill, he was too casual with his shot and Maxwell is hardly a bowler better than Kohli or any other part timer. I was very impressed by Elliot and believe that they should send him higher up the order since he's a busy player. Kane at 3, Elliot at 4 and Taylor/Anderson at 5/6 with Ronchi at 7. Thats one awesome batting attack. McCullum should hopefully play the next WC so I dont think barrign injuries a lot of the current lot will miss the next.

Pakistan just appointed Azhar Ali to succeed Misbah. I have no idea about his temperament or his approach and if he's well respected by the rest of his team to follow him. At the same time, the more experienced players like Afridi, Younis etc should give him proper guidance and not force themselves on him. If Aamir can come back and Irfan can time his match appearances to prolong his career then they could possibly bring the venom back in their bowling as Wahab Riaz definitely needs all the support he can. In terms of batting, stick with Sarfaraz and give Shehzad a good kick in the butt. To me Shehzad looks like he's in the mould of Rohit, they seem to have a lapse somewhere during the innings and throw it away. Rohit has to an extent got it under control and Shehzad should also be able to do it, do it better. Bring Malik back and they also need a few all-rounders like Mehmood or Razzaq. The Pakistan team always relied on a couple of key all-rounders like Imran, Wasim and other two I just mentioned. It will give their frail batting more depth and their bowling options also become so much better when one of their main bowlers is having an off-day.

I could care less for Srilanka, West Indies and England. Their boards embroiled in politics and/or most of the respected players on their way out. It will be an interesting rebuilding phase for these teams and they should coach their youngsters with patience and more opportunities.

params7

Banned
So Steve Smith is set to take over ODI captaincy from Clarke? Hope the rest of the team listens to him. Along with Starc, he showed some great talent in this tournament.

wachie

So Steve Smith is set to take over ODI captaincy from Clarke? Hope the rest of the team listens to him. Along with Starc, he showed some great talent in this tournament.
Why do you doubt this? The team showed no issues playing under him in the tests. He's the logical and most obvious choice.

Callback to my earlier post that peaking has been the key to every WC and this was no different. The way Australia played the last two games, it looked like they were in a completely different tier than the rest of the teams (even the top 4). So them winning the cup was fitting. Australia becomes the second host to win a WC. Looks like the jinx that comes with being a host is not valid anymore. England will like this for 2019 :) I really think that Starc won them this WC, especially since his was operating in a different class than even the rest of his squad. Johnson only had tenacity for a brief while in the game against India and Faulkner in the final but it was Starc that who was consistently on the minds of the opposition's batting. It will be really interesting to see how he goes from here. He should definitely watch his mouth though. Overall, this side is still very young. I can only see Johnson and Watson missing out on the next WC (Haddin will retire and Clarke already has), so all they need to do is bring in Cummins for Johnson and possibly bring Mitch Marsh for Watson. Replacing Haddin isnt a big hole and they could have won this cup even with Wade, so I'm sure they can find a suitable replacement in the next few years.

For India, it was always a case of doing better than the expectations and they did just that. Win a game against Pakistan, progress to the knockouts and we can blame the rest on such and such factor. Dhoni's post match statements mirror this and this is the wrong approach. Overall if they continue working on their bowling, they will be a good side. I definitely dont think Kohli should succeed Dhoni. They also need to get rid of Jadeja or atleast get him to improve his bowling/batting more. India also needs to be more flexible, as shown by Australia. If they needed a quick hit, they should send in Raina/Jadeja rather than the same batting order irrespective of the situation.

South Africa, man watching AB in the post match conference was painful. He looked like he personally lost the game for SA, which he might have but you cant always burden the responsibility on one person, it is after all a team game. They have a lot of holes to fill, DeKock is not player for them. Scoring three consecutive hundreds against a shitty Indian bowling attack is no reason for believing in him so much. Put Faf up with Amla, bring up Duminy at 3 and AB at 4 with Miller at 5. Get in Behardien or some other fellow who can bit hit and roll his arm over. AB also needs to take a leaf out of Smith's captaincy, he was so defensive throughout the tournament.

New Zealand, well I was hoping that they dont have their bad day on Sunday and it happened. McCullum's approach for his second ball was right but not his third. He should have done a Gayle and played very defensive as soon as he saw the amount of swing. Same with Guptill, he was too casual with his shot and Maxwell is hardly a bowler better than Kohli or any other part timer. I was very impressed by Elliot and believe that they should send him higher up the order since he's a busy player. Kane at 3, Elliot at 4 and Taylor/Anderson at 5/6 with Ronchi at 7. Thats one awesome batting attack. McCullum should hopefully play the next WC so I dont think barrign injuries a lot of the current lot will miss the next.

Pakistan just appointed Azhar Ali to succeed Misbah. I have no idea about his temperament or his approach and if he's well respected by the rest of his team to follow him. At the same time, the more experienced players like Afridi, Younis etc should give him proper guidance and not force themselves on him. If Aamir can come back and Irfan can time his match appearances to prolong his career then they could possibly bring the venom back in their bowling as Wahab Riaz definitely needs all the support he can. In terms of batting, stick with Sarfaraz and give Shehzad a good kick in the butt. To me Shehzad looks like he's in the mould of Rohit, they seem to have a lapse somewhere during the innings and throw it away. Rohit has to an extent got it under control and Shehzad should also be able to do it, do it better. Bring Malik back and they also need a few all-rounders like Mehmood or Razzaq. The Pakistan team always relied on a couple of key all-rounders like Imran, Wasim and other two I just mentioned. It will give their frail batting more depth and their bowling options also become so much better when one of their main bowlers is having an off-day.

I could care less for Srilanka, West Indies and England. Their boards embroiled in politics and/or most of the respected players on their way out. It will be an interesting rebuilding phase for these teams and they should coach their youngsters with patience and more opportunities.

Some good points there but some I disagree with also.

Australian analysis is pretty much spot on except it wasn't just Starc winning them the world cup. Johnson bowled very well in the semi and final, Smith was great in the second half of the tournament, Maxwell was arguably the best allrounder in the tournament, and overall the fielding was well above the rest. Yeah, one or two others from every team are very good fielders, but there is still not other team that has bowlers that can outfield as well as Australias. Not even close. And run-outs make huge differences, think of Australia hitting two in the semi and South Africa missing two (and easier ones too).

Indian analysis I also agree with, Kohli and captaincy doesn't mix.

Id stick with DeCock for SA. He is very young and has good temperament. The pressure got to him this world cup but he will be international standard. They will also need him as so many of their team is over 30. They need to ask if AB wants to be at the next world cup, then drop Philander, Steyn, Faf, Morkel and Amla all from the ODI team, to prolong their test careers. This is why they will need to keep DeKock in, though maybe drop him down the order as keeper first, batsman second. And yeah, SA are not only defensive team, but very overrated.

I agree with your NZ analysis, however, Maxwell is a far better bowler than Kohli, AB, other part timers. He will take test wickets and is improving in this area a lot.

I cant comment much on Pakistan cricket as I don't know enough regarding who else there is to pick. However, I hope Amir comes back as good as ever.

wachie

Some good points there but some I disagree with also.

Australian analysis is pretty much spot on except it wasn't just Starc winning them the world cup. Johnson bowled very well in the semi and final, Smith was great in the second half of the tournament, Maxwell was arguably the best allrounder in the tournament, and overall the fielding was well above the rest. Yeah, one or two others from every team are very good fielders, but there is still not other team that has bowlers that can outfield as well as Australias. Not even close. And run-outs make huge differences, think of Australia hitting two in the semi and South Africa missing two (and easier ones too).

Indian analysis I also agree with, Kohli and captaincy doesn't mix.

Id stick with DeCock for SA. He is very young and has good temperament. The pressure got to him this world cup but he will be international standard. They will also need him as so many of their team is over 30. They need to ask if AB wants to be at the next world cup, then drop Philander, Steyn, Faf, Morkel and Amla all from the ODI team, to prolong their test careers. This is why they will need to keep DeKock in, though maybe drop him down the order as keeper first, batsman second. And yeah, SA are not only defensive team, but very overrated.

I agree with your NZ analysis, however, Maxwell is a far better bowler than Kohli, AB, other part timers. He will take test wickets and is improving in this area a lot.

I cant comment much on Pakistan cricket as I don't know enough regarding who else there is to pick. However, I hope Amir comes back as good as ever.
I did note that Johnson bowled well against India. In the final he was bowling against a NZ that was already on the backfoot, heck Faulkner of all people was bowling well in the final. I credit all of that to the opening burst by Starc and to an extent the stingy lines from Hazlewood. Maxwell didn't have as much impact as most expected, heck he scored big against the associates and rode his luck with Pakistan. He performed well on par for what I expected but below of the how the Australians would have wanted him to.

Regarding DeKock, I think they rushed him. Threw him under the spotlight too quick and burned him. I see some parallels with him and another Indian debutant last summer (forgot his name) who Dravid had picked out as the test batsman for his spot.

I did note that Johnson bowled well against India. In the final he was bowling against a NZ that was already on the backfoot, heck Faulkner of all people was bowling well in the final. I credit all of that to the opening burst by Starc and to an extent the stingy lines from Hazlewood. Maxwell didn't have as much impact as most expected, heck he scored big against the associates and rode his luck with Pakistan. He performed well on par for what I expected but below of the how the Australians would have wanted him to.

Regarding DeKock, I think they rushed him. Threw him under the spotlight too quick and burned him. I see some parallels with him and another Indian debutant last summer (forgot his name) who Dravid had picked out as the test batsman for his spot.

well I guess it speaks for how highly people are beginning to rate Maxwell, given he didn't perform as expected (even for my expectations), yet found his way into many of the best XI's for the tournament. I hope he has a good winter in India with Australia A as I want him playing test cricket sooner rather than later and he needs some long for cricket in him now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom