• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ICC Cricket World Cup 2015 |OT| The World comes Down Under

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
9XKClQb.jpg

Welcome to the 2015 ICC Cricket world cup thread! The ICC cricket world cup is a once every 4 years event where teams gather together for an ODI tournament to see who will be crowned champion. This year's event will be held in Australia and New Zealand.

What to expect of the venue

Expect fast, bouncy and flat wickets. Bats will dominate, pace bowling to standout and spin to fall into the background.

Fixtures: http://www.icc-cricket.com/cricket-world-cup/fixtures

The Test Playing Nations

kdEbDpr.jpg

Australia

One of the top 3 favourites going in through form, they boast a batting lineup that goes all the way to the number 10 with firepower at the top and in the middle, as well as one of the best pace attacks in the tournament. Stability can be an issue and they probably have the worst spin attack in the tournament, but expect Australia to be strong.

NH6y2uN.jpg

South Africa

The second of the top 3 favourites, South Africa can currently boast to have 2 of the best ODI batsmen in the world: Hashim Amla and AB de Villiers. On their day those 2 can win a match for South Africa single-handedly. They also boast a bowling attack of similar strength to the Australians. The other batsmen aren't as reliable, but make no mistake, if hashim amla or de Villiers fire South Africa will be very hard to beat.

cje6ReL.jpg

New Zealand

The final of the top 3 favourites, New Zealand will enjoy its home ground advantage alongside Australia. Features some of the most explosive batsmen in the world with Brendon McCullum and Corey Anderson, as well as the always excellent Kane Williamson. Another country with an impressive pace bowling attack.

bOhDwU9.jpg

India

Current Cup holders, but they might find the Australian conditions to be not to their liking. Still, one should never count out the Indians in ODI cricket. They boast an impressive lineup, with players like Virat Kohli, Rohit Sharma and MS Dhoni. Definitely has one of the weaker bowling lineups, but expect their batsmen to be able to bat out most targets.

Bv5cBcx.jpg

England

After the Ashes mauling of 2013-2014, the England setup looks decidedly different. While not great at ODIs traditionally, England has an exciting group of young players and there's every chance they could be dark horses.

6q56uGk.jpg

West Indies

Plagued by board issues, controversies and players being left out of the team for dubious reasons, the West Indies come into this world cup slightly shaky. Still, on their day, they have enough firepower to challenge most teams.

9qAi8mA.jpg

Pakistan

Unpredictable as always, while Pakistan might look like a weak side this year, you can never count when they will pull out their best performance. Still, expect them to be the underdogs this year.

k82boxn.jpg

Sri lanka

While they might not have the greatest run in ODIs coming into the World Cup, expect Sri Lanka to step up in ICC tournaments, as they always do. Also expect performances by Sangakkara and Jayawardene, as this will be the final Cricket World Cup for these two giants of Sri Lankan Cricket.

T8f3Uom.jpg

Bangladesh

Bangladesh never fails to underwhelm ever since they entered the test arena. Still, they might pull off an upset or 2 and they still have the world's best allrounder in Shakib Al Hasan.

XFXX6gD.jpg

Zimbabwe

This is a team that has fallen off hard for awhile now. They've beaten Australia recently, but it'll be hard to imagine them pulling off any more upsets this year.

The Associates Teams
3uK1w4O.jpg

It's going to be tough for them as it always is, but Ireland and Afghanistan have real potentials to pull off some upsets. The UAE are a pretty good side too.

Zapages

Is anyone here mad that ESPN has decided to charge 100 dollars for the world cup… The games are already at midnight or way in the morning on the east coast. :\

They announced it to be free a few years ago when they got the contract and now they have decided to charge for it. :|

I think in the future FIFA world cup or any other sport will be a paid thing. :|[

Antiwhippy

Is willow TV not showing the games?

Warm ups are on now btw.

Go South Africa. This is your cup. GO SA GO.

Nice thread whippy. Subscribed. Might wanna put the schedule in op.

I put it in a link, but I guess an image would be better.

Will still do a bit more work with the OP.

Zapages

Is willow TV not showing the games?

Warm ups are on now btw.

I put it in a link, but I guess an image would be better.

Will still do a bit more work with the OP.
Willow is not showing it... As far as I know ESPN has exclusive rights to show world cup.

I was wondering when Australia's warmup game was, turns out it's on now and Warner hit a ton. Shame it looks like only Australia's games will be on free-to-air TV.

wachie

I hope New Zealand wins, all the favs like Australia, South Africa and co choke big time.

Of the sub-continent teams, none of them stand a chance with their recent form.

ranmafan

I've always been fascinated with the cricket World Cup and I'm looking forward to following it. But sadly, living in Japan, looks like, as no surprise at all, there is absolutely no way to watch it at all. Not even some form of stream for people like me who live in countries where cricket isn't popular at all to be able to watch. I find that dissapointing but not really surprised either. Sad but what can I do. Wish there was a solution to that problem.

so rank your teams people

SA>>>>NZ>>AUS>>>>>eng>>>>Ireland>Afghanistan>>IND=SL>WI>PK>zm>BN>ZM

I am very confident that one of the associate is going to upset big team. I love Ireland and Afghanistan.

Chicko's top contenders' Big Questions:
Australia – The favourites. Will their batting be consistent enough?
South Africa – A team of greats, but not a great team. (When) will they choke this world cup?
New Zealand – The underdog, and currently in form. Will the home pressure be too much?
India – the current World Champions. Their batting will keep them in games. Can their bowlers restrict the good teams though?
England – Form is hard to gauge at this point. Six weeks ago they were not a chance at all, however on their day, in these conditions, they have the batting and bowling ability to beat any other team. Will it come together for them when it counts?
Sri Lanka – Similar to India, their batting will keep them in the game. Will their bowlers step up?
Pakistan – you never know what you are going to get. Can they repeat the 1992 success (I don't think so)?
West Indies – Sadly, not much to say about the former powerhouse. Will they make it out of their group?

Antiwhippy

I am very confident that one of the associate is going to upset big team. I love Ireland and Afghanistan.

I rate afghanistan but their batting is too fragile at the moment so I can't say that they're better than india. Funnily enough they probably have a better bowling side than india.

I wouldnt rate SA that highly.

Australia just beat them 4-1 in Australia in November. And that was not including Clarke and Johnson.

New Zealand are good however.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Warner and Maxwell did well in the warm up today, Smith missed one which is a holy shit moment. what's the word on Faulkner?.

AUS will be hard to beat but I might put 50 on Nz.

Antiwhippy

Faulkner might be out for a few weeks, so a majority of the WC. Hoping that he's fit by the quarterfinals.

params7

Banned
India won't be able to hold the cup in Australia. They make it to the semis at best. I'm going to be rooting for Saffies after India.

Tegris

It's a very strange time to be a New Zealand cricket fan. Over the last 20 years I've become accustomed to supporting a team riddled with poor technique and mental fragility, however the current iteration have somehow become a pretty strong and consistent side. The fact that the media are talking up our chances makes me very nervous about this tournament; one suprise loss and I fear that the bad old Black Caps will reappear.

Until then, I will try to enjoy the fact that we have arguably the most in-form batsman in the world in Kane Williamson (last 16 ODI innings: 1114 runs @ 74.26, SR: 90.20), a well-balanced set of quicks, and plenty of exceptional athletes in the field. Having said that, I don't think we'll quite have the quality to beat South Africa or Australia should we meet them later in the tournament.

I can't wait for the tournament to start; I've got tickets for the opening match (New Zealand vs Sri Lanka), and for the other two Christchurch pool games (Pakistan vs West Indies and England vs Scotland) and the Auckland semi-final.

Antiwhippy

I think New Zealand is honestly one of the favourites going in. Brendon and Kane are in insane form right now.

Also made some banners and added a picture of the fixtures. Hope it's better for people to read.

Jezbollah

Yesss.. Cheers AW. *subscribed*

Dont have high expectations for England, which means I'll enjoy this tournament as a neutral probably.

NZ's my main, SA are my backup but after that it's ABIA (Anyone But India and Australia). Aussie because they've already won four bloody tournaments and India because they're India.

I'd love to see some associates show up the big teams too. It'd be a nice send off for a lot of them, since it'll probably be the last CWC some of those teams ever go to (only 10 teams qualify for the 2019 CWC, the lowest since 1992).

The fact that NZ are one of the favourites is fucking bizarre to me and, I imagine, every NZ cricket fan. They've been the butt of our jokes for so long, it's hard to even remember them being any good. That said, I've felt for years that we've had a young team who could potentially be great, so it's great to see them finally start to deliver.

Honestly, I think I'd love for us to win the cup for Martin Crowe than anything else. He doesn't have too long left, so it'd be amazing if one of our greatest cricketers sportsmen ever got to live to see it happen. It'd be reminiscent of how Jock Hobbs, one of our greatest rugby players and contributors to NZ rugby lived to see the 2011 RWC win, before he passed away a couple of months later.

B.O.O.M

ooh nice :D didn't think there would be an official thread. It's almost upon us isn't it.

GO SRI LANKA!

tho tbh I don't fancy our chances given the conditions..and the selectors have made a fine mess of things going into the tourney. Either way hope for a good one :) I would like one of the newbies to surprise everyone (everyone but my team lol) More fun that way

imo the favorites should be between NZ/AUS/SA

That said SL tends to find their way through and beat expectations..hope it happens this time too

oh and also speaking of which don't know who is replacing Prasad yet since he is injured now. Would like to see the new kid Chameera given a chance...just for the heck of it

I've always been fascinated with the cricket World Cup and I'm looking forward to following it. But sadly, living in Japan, looks like, as no surprise at all, there is absolutely no way to watch it at all. Not even some form of stream for people like me who live in countries where cricket isn't popular at all to be able to watch. I find that dissapointing but not really surprised either. Sad but what can I do. Wish there was a solution to that problem.

I mean surely you can find a stream online? There will be plenty during the WC I'm sure

It's a very strange time to be a New Zealand cricket fan. Over the last 20 years I've become accustomed to supporting a team riddled with poor technique and mental fragility, however the current iteration have somehow become a pretty strong and consistent side. The fact that the media are talking up our chances makes me very nervous about this tournament; one suprise loss and I fear that the bad old Black Caps will reappear.

Until then, I will try to enjoy the fact that we have arguably the most in-form batsman in the world in Kane Williamson (last 16 ODI innings: 1114 runs @ 74.26, SR: 90.20), a well-balanced set of quicks, and plenty of exceptional athletes in the field. Having said that, I don't think we'll quite have the quality to beat South Africa or Australia should we meet them later in the tournament.

I can't wait for the tournament to start; I've got tickets for the opening match (New Zealand vs Sri Lanka), and for the other two Christchurch pool games (Pakistan vs West Indies and England vs Scotland) and the Auckland semi-final.

I have money on Williamson to be the leading run scorer this World Cup. He is a belter.

I've said in the many cricket threads that if you can play consistently well at international level before the age of 27, you have to be a bloody good cricketer. Williamson is a bloody good cricketer.

I love how NZ cricket has given him so much time in the set up and stuck with him at three, even when he was a bit down on form. It's paying off now and he'll be one of the best for the next ten years.

NZ's my main, SA are my backup but after that it's ABIA (Anyone But India and Australia). Aussie because they've already won four bloody tournaments and India because they're India.

I'd love to see some associates show up the big teams too. It'd be a nice send off for a lot of them, since it'll probably be the last CWC some of those teams ever go to (only 10 teams qualify for the 2019 CWC, the lowest since 1992).

The fact that NZ are one of the favourites is fucking bizarre to me and, I imagine, every NZ cricket fan. They've been the butt of our jokes for so long, it's hard to even remember them being any good. That said, I've felt for years that we've had a young team who could potentially be great, so it's great to see them finally start to deliver.

Honestly, I think I'd love for us to win the cup for Martin Crowe than anything else. He doesn't have too long left, so it'd be amazing if one of our greatest cricketers sportsmen ever got to live to see it happen. It'd be reminiscent of how Jock Hobbs, one of our greatest rugby players and contributors to NZ rugby lived to see the 2011 RWC win, before he passed away a couple of months later.

What's the latest status on Martin crowe?

It would be good for the kiwis to do well for him, he was a great player and my favourite non-Aussie for a little while after the 92 world cup, until I saw Lara play.

Williamson leading run scorer.

Starc leading wicket taker.

Best innings - Glen Maxwell will hit one at some stage (my favourite Aussie player at the moment)

What's the latest status on Martin crowe?

It would be good for the kiwis to do well for him, he was a great player and my favourite non-Aussie for a little while after the 92 world cup, until I saw Lara play.

The last we heard, not good. A few months left maybe.

The last we heard, not good. A few months left maybe.

A shit.

For all those people that play cricket and enjoy batting, you should all go read Martin crowes series of articles on batting tips on cricinfo from about a year ago. They are really good simple advice but I learnt a few things from them.

Antiwhippy

Gotta say, so glad to see australia back in mostly yellow.

So many goddamn blue and green uniforms this world cup.

A shit.

For all those people that play cricket and enjoy batting, you should all go read Martin crowes series of articles on batting tips on cricinfo from about a year ago. They are really good simple advice but I learnt a few things from them.

Yeah, he has one of the best cricketing minds on the planet and always came across like a good guy. Despite all the bullshit Brendan McCullum's said about him in the past, he was one of the first to congratulate McCullum on his triple century last year. A class act.

Even in his poor health, I think he's still giving advice to Ross Taylor and Guptill. He's been mentoring Taylor for most of his career, helping to turn him into one of NZ's other greatest batsmen.

Whats this pool business? What happened to groups?

2007 happened.

ranmafan

I mean surely you can find a stream online? There will be plenty during the WC I'm sure

I really hope so. Something official of course would be nice, but pretty much can't seem to find any info on that end available to me. But hopefully tyere will be someway to watch it for me. Always wanted to watch the event. When I was younger living in the us it was practically impossible to watch, unless you had access to certain cable systems as well as the insane amount of money they wanted for the event, neither of which then I didnt. Hopefully this time something will come up.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Warm up game but India on the receiving end of another thumping by the looks of it. Ishant Sharma out for the Cup as well apparently.

Johnson, Start, Hazelwood and Cummins getting all the wickets and probably giving the Indian team nightmares.

I've been training here in Dubai with the UAE national team being sent over for the first time. They wont do well.

good on them for qualifying however, but i dont think the team has faced the likes of an Australian caliber team in their lives.

Warm up game but India on the receiving end of another thumping by the looks of it. Ishant Sharma out for the Cup as well apparently.

Johnson, Start, Hazelwood and Cummins getting all the wickets and probably giving the Indian team nightmares.

Mitch is without a doubt the most intimidating and terrifying bowler on the planet.

For those unfamiliar, watch how he destroyed England in the ashes about a year ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzhzQiW4rtY

Excellent thread!

NZ has been playing really well recently, hope they dont choke.

Looking forward to the India vs Pakistan game - hope India losse

Vaddon

Nice, been looking forward to this for months. Although my expectations are low as an England fan, maybe they'll surprise me. Not really sure what to expect from them because they have the ability, it just rarely seems to 'click' when it needs to. One game seems to go very well while the next can be disastrous, inconsistent as hell. Still, I'm cautiously excited! I expect a lot from New Zealand though, Williamson is on fire at the moment and the bowling is no slouch either. Australia and South Africa are the two other favourites, their form is great. Hoping for a fantastic World Cup!

Excellent thread!

NZ has been playing really well recently, hope they dont choke.

Looking forward to the India vs Pakistan game - hope India losse

India have not won a game in the last series and maybe even more. They are terrible. Kohli can bat but he is a terrible captain and i think the entire team hates him.

Australia have this. England are done. Only NZ has a chance to take this from us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom