• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ICC Cricket World Cup 2015 |OT| The World comes Down Under

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

ICC-Cricket-World-Cup-2015-Logo.jpg

reminds me of

rooting for not-Australia

3Sixty

England aren't making it out of the pool stage.

From a betting perspective I'm looking at AB for top batsmen at 14/1

Top Bowler is a tough one, I'd go Mitchell Johnson if they could play England every game. Steven Finn at 33's looks a big one if England get out of the pool.

wachie

Nice, what provider is available in japan? Actually kinda surprised there's one considering that japan isn't a cricket country.
If anyone's interested, you can buy the Star Sports web package for around 2-3 bucks for the whole tournament. Then get an VPN (for India) for another 4-5 bucks and you're set.

A battle of two mediocre teams. I think not
An evenly fought contest + most electric buzz = hottest match of the tournament. Whoever wins will have won a greater achievement than actually winning the cup :D

Aditya

Neo Member
South africa lost to us when they came over but they absolutely cleaned up the windies at home.

New Zealand swept through sri lanka and pakistan at home.

Oh, the dark horses, I'll be happy if one of them makes it to the finals this time. In South Africa's case it's more of a mental hindrance than anything.

In no tournament should south africa be considered one of favs, they are complete chokers and no way in hell are they winning this.

Honestly its very hard to get excited about one day, t20 is just so much more superior in entertainment but I will check a few games out for an hour or two

In no tournament should south africa be considered one of favs, they are complete chokers and no way in hell are they winning this.

Honestly its very hard to get excited about one day, t20 is just so much more superior in entertainment but I will check a few games out for an hour or two

SA got this. sorry haters.

elfinke

ODI has become third-tier cricket entertainment in my house, though that isn't saying much. I watched about 45 minutes of the BBL during its run, and watched not much more than that of the ODI tri series. I guess India being a woeful team is partly to blame for that, but also, there is no getting away from just how boring the middle stages of the 50-over game can be on TV.

All that said, of course I'll tune into this. Any cricket in March is good cricket in my books. My local competition will have ground to an end by then and I'll only have indoor cricket to keep my going.

I hope NZ have a good tournament, I've always had a soft spot for the Kiwis. I see Clarkey has been named captain for our hit out against the UAE, so that's something. This tournament ought to make or break a few of the pretenders in the short form Australian squads (Maxwell in particular), but I wish them all well.

As long as a Pietersen-less England go shit I'll be happy. Can't hate on SA, Amla is too godlike to not want to watch. Which is to say nothing of the sublime De Villiers.

wachie

Jaysus

fG0wNzP.png

I get ONE free match, India vs Pakistan on Saturday. yeesh.
Are you in Canada?

Try starsports.com (you'll need an Indian VPN) and you can watch the whole tournament for around 10 bucks including the cost of VPN. If you have a roku, try enteroku.

For those not keeping up.

Aus vs UAE warmup @ MCG

Aus 8/304 from 50. (that's with Warner not playing)

UAE need 305 to win. I dont think they will get 200 TBH.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Man, it's almost a shame to keep on seeing misbah batting on as the rest of the pakistan lineup crumbled around him.

ok this pak vs England game is pretty damn exciting!

England 8/250 and Pakistan 4/191 off 41 overs. They should be able to do it from here.

does anyone else here play cricket? we should post pics of our kits and gear haha. Wish there was more cricketers posting on here.

it is off topic for the World Cup thread but here is my bat:

bat.jpg

Its pretty good, very nice pick up and a big middle.

However, its the second one I have had this season, the first one broke after about 6 games. This bat feels a lot nicer back lift and sweeter off the middle, so hopefully the previous one was just a bad piece of wood.

I used to be a Kookaburra man, this is the first non Kookaburra bat I have had. But I have to say, it is a very, very good bat.

does anyone else here play cricket? we should post pics of our kits and gear haha. Wish there was more cricketers posting on here.

Played grade up until 2 years ago, my shoulders are gone. Had surgery on my bowling shoulder, but it's probably time to admit defeat. Or possible take up batting instead of lower order slogging!

Nice GM!

Here is my stuff from when it was all new:

10346203_10152554064214512_8051543176170723805_n.jpg

10550888_10152554064104512_1711578401386205405_n.jpg

10574536_10152554064434512_4347640527155686522_n.jpg

10534735_10152554063944512_5219671558502933796_n.jpg

1964794_10152554064309512_6416849664443368739_n.jpg

Kookaburra Left handed Pads, thigh pad. Segmented LH gloves. GM kevlar helmet, GM Icon F2

Man, it's almost a shame to keep on seeing misbah batting on as the rest of the pakistan lineup crumbled around him.

Misbah is so awesome I can't really find the words to describe it. The bullshit he has to put up with constantly would have crushed anybody else by now.

Stopped playing years ago due to a combination of being crap, focussing on other sports, being crap, injuries and also being crap.

Now that my body has fallen apart to the extent that playing other sports is probably beyond me I may have to return to cricket as a wily old spinner.

man i hear you. i picked up the bat for the first time in 10 years about 6 months ago. Your body falls apart bowling now! you revert to spin after about 3 hours!

Also, every time the ball hits you - it fucking hurts so bad!

Also, everyone is just so damn fast!

im heading off to play tonight in 1 hour - wish me luck!

New Zealand beat South Africa! Man NZ has turned around big time. What a team! Also, Zimbabwe beat Sri Lanka! They also played well against NZ before the rain hit

Nice GM!

Here is my stuff from when it was all new:

Kookaburra Left handed Pads, thigh pad. Segmented LH gloves. GM kevlar helmet, GM Icon F2
Phat Michael said:
man i hear you. i picked up the bat for the first time in 10 years about 6 months ago. Your body falls apart bowling now! you revert to spin after about 3 hours!

Also, every time the ball hits you - it fucking hurts so bad!

Also, everyone is just so damn fast!

im heading off to play tonight in 1 hour - wish me luck!

Nice gear. I am now a big fan of GM bats. Ive owned 6 Kookaburras in my life but the best sounding and feeling bat I have had is this GM. How is yours?

As for getting back into cricket, it was about 3.5 years ago I got back into cricket after a 10 year break.

At junior level and up to First XI at school, when I last played, I was the opening bowler that I became through default.

In primary school I was the best player in the team, won the best player awards in yr 5, 6, and 7. As I moved into high school I was still the best bowler but other new kids thought they were batsmen (because they couldn't bowl). One of their dads became coach and as such I became the opening bowler who batted at 6 or 7. By the time First XI came around, I was pushed down to 9 but I always maintained I was a better batsman than half the team.

As usual in cricket, politics won out and I was the opening bowler and lower order batsman. So I went and played district cricket and same thing happened. A few people saw me bowl and knew me as a bowler in school cricket so I stayed as a bowler at district cricket.

I ended up getting sick of that and quitting for 10 years.

Then my mate started a cricket club about 8 years ago and bugged me for years to go and play with him. They started their b-grade team four years ago and I decided to go and play on the provision that I didn't have to bowl quick (moreso because I am too fat and unfit to these days).

So now I am early 30s, opening the bat and bowling leg spin and finally loving my cricket like I did in the backyard. Its low grade turf cricket, one-dayers so I get a bowl and bat and pretty much take the reins of captain when we are in the field.

For the last two years, I am averaging about 35 with the bat and low 20s with the ball, and funnily feel like I am improving.

Im turning into one of those Wiley old cricketers who all the young players get annoyed at playing against.

To anyone who is thinking about going back to play cricket after a long break, I can say that it can be done, is very fun and is very rewarding.

elfinke

I've made that same comment before in the cricket OT! I play both indoor and outdoor cricket, and occasionally umpire. I'll post pics of my gear later.

First amazing fielding gif of the tournament.

236085231151068216121139159161163239128134194207.gif

May there be many more.

Great catch but wow, the 1980's called, they want their on-screen graphics back. Doesn't sound like they're going anywhere, sadly, so we'll have to deal with the hideous TV presentation for the whole world cup.

Nice gear. I am now a big fan of GM bats. Ive owned 6 Kookaburras in my life but the best sounding and feeling bat I have had is this GM. How is yours?

As for getting back into cricket, it was about 3.5 years ago I got back into cricket after a 10 year break.

At junior level and up to First XI at school, when I last played, I was the opening bowler that I became through default.

In primary school I was the best player in the team, won the best player awards in yr 5, 6, and 7. As I moved into high school I was still the best bowler but other new kids thought they were batsmen (because they couldn't bowl). One of their dads became coach and as such I became the opening bowler who batted at 6 or 7. By the time First XI came around, I was pushed down to 9 but I always maintained I was a better batsman than half the team.

As usual in cricket, politics won out and I was the opening bowler and lower order batsman. So I went and played district cricket and same thing happened. A few people saw me bowl and knew me as a bowler in school cricket so I stayed as a bowler at district cricket.

I ended up getting sick of that and quitting for 10 years.

Then my mate started a cricket club about 8 years ago and bugged me for years to go and play with him. They started their b-grade team four years ago and I decided to go and play on the provision that I didn't have to bowl quick (moreso because I am too fat and unfit to these days).

So now I am early 30s, opening the bat and bowling leg spin and finally loving my cricket like I did in the backyard. Its low grade turf cricket, one-dayers so I get a bowl and bat and pretty much take the reins of captain when we are in the field.

For the last two years, I am averaging about 35 with the bat and low 20s with the ball, and funnily feel like I am improving.

Im turning into one of those Wiley old cricketers who all the young players get annoyed at playing against.

To anyone who is thinking about going back to play cricket after a long break, I can say that it can be done, is very fun and is very rewarding.

Hey man. In my high school in Perth i was was on the 8A's, 9A's, 10A's - then only managed to make the 2nd XI because the competition was so fierce back then., I was averaging about 25-30 and had a top score of 59. Bowling my best day was 3/18 of 6 overs but i was more an allrounder.

The GM is nice. such a sick sounding sweet spot and it's incredibly light for what it is. When i was growing up i had the GM Maestro Superstar (Steve Waugh's one)

Cricket seriously does take a toll on the body though - especially if you are a bowler i guess! when batting though, the little knocks here and there add up!

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Ireland and Scotland should be given some level of test membership. Both countries have long histories, start them off slowly, Bangledesh, Zimbabwe against each other. Only way they will improve.

Ireland, Scotland, Afghanistan, UAE etc should all be in a division, winner moves up to the big league for a year. Something like Football or whatever.

Ireland, Scotland, Afghanistan, UAE etc should all be in a division, winner moves up to the big league for a year. Something like Football or whatever.

I agree there needs to be a second division, however, the gap between the big nations and any associates is huge. This gulf between abilities is only accentuated over five day cricket.

Test cricket is so hard because a team can grind another into the ground because of the time involved (think about Australia in recent series at home or when India play at home, or Pakistan recently in the UAE).

A top team like Australia or Sth Africa would bat for two days and then bowl them out in less than a day. There would barely be a match.

Unfortunately, the associates need way stronger domestic first class competitions (three days min) to get a player pool big enough, before they could consider matching a full member over the course of a test series (min 2 matches these days).

Of the associates in this world cup, only Ireland has its own first class competition and that was started in 2013. And Ireland's first class competition only has three teams, playing three day cricket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom