• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ICC Cricket World Cup 2015 |OT| The World comes Down Under

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome effort Aussies. Today is an example of why I thought the Aussies had more room for improvement than the other final three teams. All performed except for finch and they have dominated the second best team.

Thank you Michael Clarke, a great odi career and now a World Cup winning captain. Go and win the ashes in England and then have a great retirement.

My team of the cup:

Dhawan
Guptil
Sanga (wk)
S. Smith (c)
ABDV
B. Taylor or mahmadullah - one of these deserve to be in the World Cup xi.
Maxwell (I love him, I want to boof him) - the best fifth bowler/ batsman of the tourney.
Starc - man of the World Cup
Vettori - best slow bowler, toss up between him and tahir
Boult
Riaz

Plenty of names there you wouldn't have picked before the cup.

Mitchell Starc unbelievable tourney. Average under ten in the World Cup with the most runs and centuries.

It's a young team (youngest final four team by a couple of years) and there are a heap of good young players to come into th steam over the next four years, so the rest of the world have a lot of improving to do to catch us. Go away and get gud world!

Australia world champions in one day cricket - normality finally restored!

Rezbit

WOOO!!

Well done Australia! So happy with that performance! Well done to the Kiwis as well though. Hopefully they can put that form in tests!

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
I don't know if I would say it was boring. More it was a masterclass performance. Australia where just too good at everything.

Fielding they where sensational.
Bowling they where amazing, everyone played their part, no fucks ups.
Batting, good, and so much depth.

ranmafan

Good job Australia, great performance today. Well deserved champions. New Zealand one day it will be their turn, but Australia was the better team today. Great tournament, even if the final wasn't the greatest. I'm going to miss watching lots of cricket. It's been a great time watching it all.

I don't know if I would say it was boring. More it was a masterclass performance. Australia where just too good at everything.

Fielding they where sensational.
Bowling they where amazing, everyone played their part, no fucks ups.
Batting, good, and so much depth.

Yep, the World Cup is about peaking at the right time. Aussies peaked at the right time.

I also think New Zealand played their final last week, mentally were not on the same level as Australia in their batting innings.

Bowling was almost perfect by the Aussies. Really won the match for us.

Smith & Clarke played a smart, mature partnership to get us to victory in the end.

Unhappy with the kiwi bowling aside from Boult (and Vettori since he was obviously injured). Really wasn't much pressure on the Aussies and Southee was terrible.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Thing is I don't even feel like this has been a domineering Australian team. Doesn't inspire awe like the sides that went 3 in a row.

AxeMan

I reckon that it hampered NZ by playing all their games in NZ. I understand why they did that but they weren't ready to play in Australia

Thing is I don't even feel like this has been a domineering Australian team. Doesn't inspire awe like the sides that went 3 in a row.

It's a youngish team, has the ability to dominate until the next World Cup.

Smith, Starc, Faulkner, maxwell, Warner, hazelwood, cummins, and maybe finch, if he improves, will all be there next cup

I reckon that it hampered NZ by playing all their games in NZ. I understand why they did that but they weren't ready to play in Australia

I said this earlier in The thread before the game.

kmag

Awesome effort Aussies. Today is an example of why I thought the Aussies had more room for improvement than the other final three teams. All performed except for finch and they have dominated the second best team.

Thank you Michael Clarke, a great odi career and now a World Cup winning captain. Go and win the ashes in England and then have a great retirement.

My team of the cup:

Dhawan
Guptil
Sanga (wk)
S. Smith (c)
ABDV
B. Taylor or mahmadullah - one of these deserve to be in the World Cup xi.
Maxwell (I love him, I want to boof him) - the best fifth bowler/ batsman of the tourney.
Starc - man of the World Cup
Vettori - best slow bowler, toss up between him and tahir
Boult
Riaz

Plenty of names there you wouldn't have picked before the cup.

Mitchell Starc unbelievable tourney. Average under ten in the World Cup with the most runs and centuries.

It's a young team (youngest final four team by a couple of years) and there are a heap of good young players to come into th steam over the next four years, so the rest of the world have a lot of improving to do to catch us. Go away and get gud world!

Australia world champions in one day cricket - normality finally restored!

Well done Australia.

ODI and 20/20 I think they're set.

Test wise they've got a lot of pieces to replace after this Ashes series (Rogers, Haddin ,Harris and perhaps Clarke), but they've got the bowling, and some decent batters to come (although they'll have to take a flyer on a few of them)

Great minds Chicko :)

Looking back I think they'll rue that decision

Haha, here was my quote

Great match by Aussie bowlers.

Can't wait for Sunday. I want and think australia will win, I've always thought they were the best in team in the cup, but if we lose to New Zealand I won't be too upset. I don't know any kiwis well so I could live with them winning.

Kiwis not having played in Australia for a long time will be a bigger factor than people realise I think.

In hindsight it looks a bad move, but I still think for this kiwi team not playing in Australia will, in the long run, be better for them. They made the final, got the country inspired by cricketers and beat Australia, the team that goes on to win, at home.

Hopefully they continue to improve, it will be good for the next chapell hadlee trophy for sure.

Rezbit

It may not have the big names that previous Aussie teams had, but it is such a well balanced team. No real weak batting links at the moment, all can hit big, sensational bowling options for all 50 overs, and dat fielding. Couple that with being a young side and having Cummins and Marsh on the bench - future looks good!

Well done Australia.

Test wise they've got a lot of pieces to replace after this Ashes series (Rogers, Haddin ,Harris and perhaps Clarke), but they've got the bowling, and some decent batters to come (although they'll have to take a flyer on a few of them)

They need maxwell to step up now and become a middle order test batsman that he should.

Mitch marsh hopefully will continue to improve and Faulkner is another to possibly come into the test team.

The bowling is set and you can build a top order around Warner and smith. I hope burns hits his potential, but yeah, they will have to take some risks on young players and keep them in the team. Can probably carry the younger batsmen by playing more allrounders, which we have in marsh, maxwell, and Faulkner.

AxeMan

Hopefully they continue to improve, it will be good for the next chapell hadlee trophy for sure.

Agree with this. I hope all countries get stronger and all tours are tough for all teams.
Imagine a strong Aust, NZ, SA, WI, SL, Ind, Pak, Eng. No easy tours or matches across a test series to a T20 and ODI match.

Would be awesome

Agree with this. I hope all countries get stronger and all tours are tough for all teams.
Imagine a strong Aust, NZ, SA, WI, SL, Ind, Pak, Eng. No easy tours or matches across a test series to a T20 and ODI match.

Would be awesome

That would be an awesome dream. We are a long way away for that happening though.

Srilanka, England, windies and South Africa will have to regenerate massively to stay competitive by the next World Cup.

I think India, New Zealand and Australia have shown enough good young players to remain strong for the next four years.

bomma_man

Would be awesome

Shame ind, aus and eng never play those other teams anymore

kmag

They need maxwell to step up now and become a middle order test batsman that he should.

Mitch marsh hopefully will continue to improve and Faulkner is another to possibly come into the test team.

The bowling is set and you can build a top order around Warner and smith. I hope burns hits his potential, but yeah, they will have to take some risks on young players and keep them in the team. Can probably carry the younger batsmen by playing more allrounders, which we have in marsh, maxwell, and Faulkner.

You reckon Wade for test keeper? Who'd be the other opener, Burns?

Well spoken baz, a very good captain and speaker.

Faulkner, geez, forget he almost was dropped from the squad due to injury.

Mitchell Starc Man of the World Cup - I did predict he would be the leading wicket taker but even I did not expect this tournament form, unbelievable, well done.

Lightning

Banned
Well done Australia.

Rodgers is not that great anyway, Haddin is a solid keeper but it's not like trying to replace Adam Gilchrist. Harris will be a loss but Australia have options in bowling and if Clarke is only going to play tests then I doubt he's looking to retire after the ashes unless his injuries get further out of hand.

I don't see the big issue here. Got a very solid core team that just needs a few holes filled, goes for most of the teams.

Well this is the worst day ever, the only joy I had was Clarke being bowled out by a peach of a delivery in his final game (in addition to McCullum being bowled out in the NZ innings).

legend166

No wonder this country has a problem with alcohol. Every single interview had a question along the lines of "So just how drunk will you get tonight?"

You reckon Wade for test keeper? Who'd be the other opener, Burns?

Nah, I'd look for a wicket keeper first, batsman second. In our test team the keeping skills need to be top notch. I'm not sure who is the stand out in first class cricket at the moment as I don't watch too much domestic first class these days.

Burns would bat at five in my test team until rogers retires. Then him and Warner open. After Clarke, Watson, Johnson, Haddin and Harris go, Id like something like:

Warner, burns, smith, a top order batsman, maxwell, Mitch marsh, Faulkner, Lyon, plus a wicket keeper then two strike bowlers from hazlewood, Starc, Pattinson, cummins, sandu etc.

That assumes that maxwell and Mitch marsh keep their rate of batting improvement to become world class, which I believe they can.

sharath_kumar

Neo Member
Congrats Australia !!! You guys were way above the rest. In the end, it all comes down to handling the pressure and NZ buckled as do other teams facing the Aussies. The match was lost in the first 5 overs.

seanoff

Would have been a sell out but it depends on how many MCC members show up to get it up to capacity.
Don't forgot that the site screens take seats out as well so the capacity for a cricket game would be under 100,000

for the WC there was no members area, they had no rights to entry or a seat.

if they wanted to go they signed into ticketek like everyone else and brought a ticket to whatever seat they could get in whatever area of the ground the seats were available.

McCullum is pure class, fucking fantastic speech as always. Impossible not to love the dude.

In hindsight it looks a bad move, but I still think for this kiwi team not playing in Australia will, in the long run, be better for them. They made the final, got the country inspired by cricketers and beat Australia, the team that goes on to win, at home.

My grandparents are over from NZ at the moment and they told me how popular the world cup has been over there, really reignited interest in the sport and they say it seemed even more popular than the rugby world cup which is great to hear. A well stocked challenger over the way will only lead to a better Australian team (and a more entertaining competition!).

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
WB5seNo.png

Good to see him going out on top.

Happy for Australia (though sad Clarke didn't finish it off), but I feel disappointed somehow. It was very classy cricket, and NZ had an amazing tournament, of that there's no doubt. I'm just deflated that it wasn't more of a fight. Feels like an off ending, somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom