• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Sony Released a 'PSX Mini' with 20 Games (no disc drive), Which Would You Include?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I guess your point is on discount in the summer sale too.
Yeah.

Even at full price I'd say VII has long ago been devalued to the point that it would easily deign to appear on a compilation mini console.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
My vote goes to:

7hKYSdQ.jpg

Klonoa
Crash
Spider-Man
Crash Bandicoot
Policenauts
Crash Team Racing
Tomba
Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Medieval
Snatcher
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2
Rayman
Legend of Mana
Silent Hill
Chrono Cross
Bust a Groove
Street Fighter Alpha
Metal Gear Solid

Snatcher? That didn't come out on the PS1.

liquidtmd

Banned
Metal Gear Solid
Tony Hawk's 2
Ridge Racer Hi-spec demo
V-Rally
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Resident Evil 1 - 3
Tekken 2
Tomb Raider
Final Fantasy VII
Vagrant Story
Chrono Chross
Time Crisis (with a mini gun con)
Silent Hill

Fuck me, that would do me all day long

mejin

1. Breath of Fire 4
2. Legend of Legaia
3. SotN
4. MGS
5. Parasite Eve
6. Gran Turismo
7. CTR
8. Wild Arms
9. Ridge Racer 4
10. Alundra
11. Dino Crisis
12. Resident Evil
13. Suikoden 2
14. Spider-Man
15. Ape Escape
16. The Legend of Dragoon
17. Tekken 3
18. FF IX
19. Silent Hill
20. FF Tactics

borges

Banned
-Final Fantasy VII
-Ridge Racer (original)
-Pro Evolution Soccer (or Goal Storm 97)
-Pandemonium
-Crash Bandicoot
-Gran Turismo (although I have recently played it and it definitely didnt aged well at all)
-Parappa The Rapper
-Metal Gear Solid
-Chrono Cross
-Castlevania SOTN
-Tekken 3
-Resident Evil I
-Resident Evil II
-Vagrant Story
-Twisted Metal (YEAH!)
-Vigilante 8 (not sure if its a PS2 or PSX game though)
-Grandia
-Dino Crysis (YEAH! x2)
-Bushido Blade (MY BEST FAV FIGHTING GAME ON PSX, we need a sequel in the future of this gem)
-Tomb Raider (another game that didnt age well)

It's a pipe dream, but if I were able to get the licensing for any number of PSX classics and have them on this machine, it would be:

1. Metal Gear Solid
2. Final Fantasy VII
3. Castlevania: SotN
4. Tekken 3
5. Chrono Cross
6. Gran Turismo 2
7. Xenogears
8. Crash Team Racing
9. Resident Evil 2
10. Parasite Eve
11. Legacy of Cain: Soul Reaver
12. Street Fighter Alpha 3
13. Vagrant Story
14. Twisted Metal 2
15. Oddworld: Abe's Odyssey
16. Final Fantasy Tactics
17. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
18. Breath of Fire IV
19. Super Puzzle FIghter II Turbo
20. Um Jammer Lammy

Which would you include?

1. Castlevania: SOTN
2. Final Fantasy VII
3. Metal Gear Solid
4. Tekken 3
5. Vagrant Story
6. Resident Evil 2
7. Silent Hill
8. PaRappa the Rapper
9. Gran Turismo 2
10. Ape Escape (I miss the series...)
11. Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver
12. Tomb Raider 2
13. Street Fighter Alpha 3
14. Wipeout
15. Spyro The Dragon (Trilogy >_>)
16. Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2
17. Suikoden 2
18. Crash Bandicoot (Trilogy)
19. Syphon Filter
20. Xenogears

xam3l

I just realized/remember that last night, somehow, I dreamed about a re-release of the original Playstation in this kind of format. Oo

killatopak

1. Medievil
2. CTR
3. Medievil 2
4. Crash Bandicoot Warped
5. Spyro
6. Dino Crisis 2
7. Resident Evil 2
8. Final Fantasy VII
9. Xenogears
10. Legend of Legaia
11. Legend of Dragoon
12. Resident Evil 3
13. Parasite Eve
14. Silent Hill
15. Brave Fencer Musashi
16. Twisted Metal 2
17. Castlevania Symphony of the Night
18. Suikoden 2
19. Tekken 3
20. Valkyrie Profile

When it gets hacked to allow more
Vagrant Story
Star Ocean 2
Dragon Ball GT Final Bout
Syphon Filter
Army Men Air Attack 2
Metal Slug X
Megaman X5

FUCK there's so much to list. Can't I just have them all?

BocoDragon

Star Fox 2 never came out officially anywhere.
I think localizations and unreleased finished games are fair game.
StarFox 2 was already finished and in English. All they have to do is release it

Basically, any time the company has to do extra work to localize an old retro release, it's very unlikely to happen.

There were a tiny handful of new translations of games on VC, but at least then the cost of the game directly (and barely) justified the extra work.

I don't see them translating Snatcher for a PS1 mini with other games on it, no doubt.

Dereck

Question, how difficult or how easy is it for companies to actually do this?

Nintendo for example, is it easier for them to do a whatever classic with 1st party games only?

If so, does that mean that a PSX classic, realistically, in theory would only include first party games because getting the license to second party or third party games would involve more hoops to jump through?

Here's what I'm getting at, lets assume that a Sega Saturn classic wouldn't sell, besides that reason, would it be difficult for Sega "licensing wise" to do something like that?

Instro

In putting together a list for such a device you can kind of already see the big issue it would face to get made. Basically no Sony 1st party games to fill the list that people remotely care about, so they'd have to license everything from 3rd parties.

borges

Banned
In putting together a list for such a device you can kind of already see the big issue it would face to get made. Basically no Sony 1st party games to fill the list that people remotely care about, so they'd have to license everything from 3rd parties.

Didnt think about this... makes sense.

_Ryo_

StarFox 2 was already finished and in English. All they have to do is release it

Basically, any time the company has to do extra work to localize an old retro release, it's very unlikely to happen.

There were a tiny handful of new translations of games on VC, but at least then the cost of the game directly (and barely) justified the extra work.

I don't see them translating Snatcher for a PS1 mini with other games on it, no doubt.

In the end Its a list of games I want on a hypothetical ps1 mini. As per OP asks for. Its staying. :p

Question, how difficult or how easy is it for companies to actually do this?

Nintendo for example, is it easier for them to do a whatever classic with 1st party games only?

If so, does that mean that a PSX classic, realistically, in theory would only include first party games because getting the license to second party or third party games would involve more hoops to jump through?

Here's what I'm getting at, lets assume that a Sega Saturn classic wouldn't sell, besides that reason, would it be difficult for Sega "licensing wise" to do something like that?

There are two hoops: rights and price.
Rights is the third party agreeing to their game being in the collection, and price is how much they get (either flat fee or more likely £/% per sale).
Some of them can be further complicated by more rights issues (capcom disney games need disney's agreement as well for instance, and disney will need to be paid, so licensed third part games would be the most expensive to add to one of these collections).
Nintendo obviously don't pay anything for their own first party games.

Sony is in the worst postion as so many of their biggest games are third party, and this is especially true in the PSX gen. It would be absurdly difficult for them to put out a good collection at anywhere near the price nintendo has.

Conversely, it wouldn't be hard at all for sega as tons of the best saturn games were made by sega - they would be in the same position as Nintendo are where they pile on a load of first party classics and then pick and choose from the best of the third parties. Emulation may be an issue though, as the Saturn was complex - you'd need a pretty good SoC to do them justice.

BocoDragon

In the end Its a list of games I want on a hypothetical ps1 mini. As per OP asks for. Its staying. :p
Then wouldn't you just say "I want all the games ever made... and I also wish for a million wishes!" :p

J/k

Mxrz

SotN
Ape Escape
FF 7, 8, 9.
Crash
Spyro
Medieval
King's Field.
SFA 3.
Resident Evil 1 * 2.
Gran Turismo
Twisted Metal
Destruction Derby

Good grief. Just thinking of a list with so many games to choose from. How can anyone not think this is the greatest library of any console ever.

Dereck

There are two hoops: rights and price.
Rights is the third party agreeing to their game being in the collection, and price is how much they get (either flat fee or more likely % per sale).
Some of them can be further complicated by more rights issues (capcom disney games need disney's agreement as well for instance, and disney will need to be paid, so licensed third part games would be the most expensive to add to one of these collections).
Nintendo obviously don't pay anything for their own first party games.

Sony is in the worst postion as so many of their biggest games are third party, and this is especially true in the PSX gen. It would be absurdly difficult for them to put out a good collection at anywhere near the price nintendo has.

Conversely, it wouldn't be hard at all for sega as tons of the best saturn games were made by sega - they would be in the same position as Nintendo are where they pile on a load of first party classics and then pick and choose from the best of the third parties. Emulation may be an issue though, as the Saturn was complex - you'd need a pretty good SoC to do them justice.
Thanks

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I would but 20 games just doesn't do the PSX justice. Unlike the other NES or SNES minis where you can actually list 20 games with confidence, there are just WAY too many good games on the PSX.

They could do like a subscription service where you can download games off of a PSN-lite for it.

Seeing as I just sold MediEvil 1 and 2, I wanna see what's the hype for those games.

Parappa the rapper da 🐐
Butter butter butter joins the bowl

FF7,8,9 will make the list
Metal gear solid will make it
RIP Crash 1-3, Spyro 1-3
Blasto hype

liquidtmd

Banned
I would but 20 games just doesn't do the PSX justice. Unlike the other NES or SNES minis where you can actually list 20 games with confidence, there are just WAY too many good games on the PSX.

They could do like a subscription service where you can download games off of a PSN-lite for it.

Or they could just put them on PSN :( :( :(

killatopak

Stretched it thin with the sequels but it's possible.

1. Alundra
2. Ape Escape
3. Arc the Lad
4. Colony Wars
5. Bust a Groove
6. Legend of Legaia
7. Gran Turismo 2
8. Medievil
9. Medievil 2
10. Parappa The Rapper
11. Syphon Filter
12. Legend of Dragoon
13. Twisted Metal 2
14. Tomba 1
15. Tomba 2
16. Twisted Metal 3
17. Bust a Groove 2
18. Jet Moto
19. Jet Moto 2
20. Ridge Racer
21. Warhawk
22. Crash Bandicoot
23. Crash Bandicoot 2
24. Crash Bandicoot Warped
25. CTR
27. Wipeout 2097
28. Bloody Roar
29. Bloody Roar 2
30. Grandia
31. Syphon Filter 2
32. Syphon Filter 3
33. Crash Bash
34. Spyro
35. Spyro 2
36. Spyro 3.
37. Wipeout 2
38. Wipeout 3

There's more but they're pretty obscure.

Head.spawn

I never really paid attention for PSX/PS2, but I feel like the vast majority of games I played were 3rd-party titles, save for Twisted Metal, Wipeout and God of War series.

What would a REALISTIC example of a PSX Mini collection look like with MOSTLY first party titles?

killatopak

I never really paid attention for PSX/PS2, but I feel like the vast majority of games I played were 3rd-party titles, save for Twisted Metal, Wipeout and God of War series.

What would a REALISTIC example of a PSX Mini collection look like with MOSTLY first party titles?

look at my post above.

There are a lot of co-published game that bordered on first party though. Like if Ni-oh is considered first party then some of the games in this(List of SIE games) is considered as well

Top Bottom