• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(If you are) Why are you getting a PS4?

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
It's released in tier 2 countries this year. :p

The Last Guardian hopefully which is the number one reason why I bought a PS3 but also Naughty Dog & Quantic Dream.

Yeah. It seems to come down to genre preference.

I am all about the CODs and Titanfalls of the world and the TV functionality while everyone who seems to be in for a PS4 day one is in not (gross generalization but you get the drift).

Did you really not know that before this thread? I mean... really?

EdgeXL

So why are you picking up Sony's next console?

Two caveats:

1. Don't mention price.
2. Don't mention negatives about any other platform.

Just give me the positives of the PS4.

Full disclosure: I am getting an Xbox One day 1 and have no interest in the PS4 but want to hear the positives about it from those who are getting it.

To play video games. Is this a trick question?

Nozem

The exclusives on PS4 will be great, if the PS3 is anything to go by.

And Resogun looks fucking amazing.

9555998682_b45b976da3_o.png

Yazuka

I want one, I have always had good experiences with and on Sony game console. Plus I miss buying a console on release. And I am hyped for Infamous Second Son.

Skilletor

You're way off the mark. I actually think that MS are a bunch of cowards for backing off everything they did. They should have thrown the disc drive out and lowered the price. Digital downloads and virtual sharing sounded great.

MS is doing the smart thing by trying to widen the audience. The Wii (which I also owned and sold) did it and they got to over 100M sold. I believe MS will do it with the One.

The Wii wasn't 500 bucks. But since you're ignoring the price argument...um...

I got nothing.

HeelPower

I have some money available right now.I feel like i need to secure a PS4 console as soon as possible and buy games later as they release.

Getting the console is sort of the hard part for me right now and i feel grateful for the reasonable pricing.

The launch titles seem considerably good even though I maynot buy more than 2 of them.

Also hype since feb 20 can't be quenched xD

PS4, when compared to the rest of the console playing field (XB One, Wii U) looks to be the best investment and the one that will be supported the most by third parties.

It even has a few advantages over the wider field of gaming devices (PC)

Dramos

Brand loyalty: I owned a PS1, PS2, PS3 and soon to own a PS4.
Particular exclusive franchises: Uncharted, Gran Turismo, God of War, Little Big Planet

Caode

I'm not gonna beat around the bush, I've been a Sony head from the start with the PlayStation. I've always loved the Sony philosophy when it comes to games, it's always been about great games and great gaming experiences across a broad range of genre's.

That philosophy faltered slightly in the PlayStation 3's infancy, when this generation kicked off, the Xbox 360 was the 'new PS2' to me, it had everything that hearkened back to that philosophy and system, it was all about the games. As this generation has gone on though, Microsoft's philosophy has completely changed from those day's in to something that just doesn't appeal to me any more (I honestly haven't played my 360 in around 2 years), whereas Sony have gotten back to the core of theirs. They're producing unrivalled first party experience's but at the same time they're providing us with unique and original IP's, they might not always work... but that's something I just can't see Microsoft taking a similar risk with; producing those kind of games in the same way that Sony does. I don't think Journey would have happened on the 360, or The Unfinished Swan for example.

There are a lot of factors in there:

- Sony has had a crystal clear and transparent policy from the start
- Sony exclusives
- Indie games

In the most simple of terms it boils down to this:

The 'PlayStation 4' Sony reminds me of the 'PlayStation 2' Sony, and I'm more interested in that.

...also Naughty Dog!

Gun Animal

Because the most impressive looking game I've ever seen (Infamous: Second Son) is coming out for it in the launch window and I want to make sure I have the console when that drops.

OP might not want to hear about price, but that will be a huge factor come holiday buying season. They were talking about the PS4 this morning on the news (because of gamescom) and mentioned the $400 price and the folks baulked at the price, what do you think they will say to $500?

I'm getting a PS4 because I was thoroughly disappointed in XB1 when it was announced. They have reversed their policies I didn't like but it is still less powerful and costs more. I want a next gen console and do not want to pay more for what I perceive as less hardware and value. I only owned a 360 this gen, why? It was cheaper, xbl was/possibly still is better and games ran better on it. I see the same potential in the PS4 that I did in the 360 and I'm willing to give Sony my money to see if I am correct.

Crawl

Japanese games that dont come to PC, certain console games that don't come to pc & of course Sony's first party studios. All multiplatform games will be played on my PC.

Variety: I am a very picky gamer, I like to have lots of choice, while others may buy 50 games a year, I may buy 20, but I enjoy every last one of them. There has always been more choice on playstation, and not just 3 or 4 blockbusters that are good. There isn't one game that I would buy any console for.

Ftp: I like the fact that many of the ftp games are coming to ps4, lots of things for me to try while I decide what games to spend my money on.

Value: Instant game collection. Means I don't have to run out and buy every game day 1, games that I am unsure about can wait until they hit PSN, either with a big discount or free, I don't have to spend as much to be a gamer.

Brand loyalty, fanboyism ect can take a hike, I go where the best value is for me, for now that's with Sony.

Quasar

I like Sonys first party studios generally and their overall philsophy. And more of it won't also appear on PC compared to MS, especially things of interest (I'm the anti Guns/Football guy and kinect is impractical for my living space asde from voice controls).

That said, once the whole 'every xbone is a dev kit' thing starts and we start seeing software I'll revisit the xbone.

It seems to have interesting games that may not be available on other systems.
I do not require amazing graphics or 60fps with no drops, and for 400 dollars the PS4 seemingly has a lot of power.

If japanese developed games like MGSV and FF15 don't come to PC, then I'll pick one up in a few years. I don't give a shit about sony's first party (or MS's for that matter) and most other games I can play better on my PC.

dmr87

Copy paste from old thread, added some.

The DRM policy
Used games
(Price)
Indie support
Region-free
PS+ value/Netflix etc not behind paywall
Superior hardware, technical and design
Sony first party studios
DS4
No forced movement/kinect bullshit
No backpedal/clear messaging
Genuine people
Vita remote play

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
There are plenty of reasons why I am preferring to go with PS4 over Xbox One for the foreseeable future.

Keep in mind that I am platform-agnostic (I eventually buy all consoles), I have been a XBL Gold subscriber since 2004, and I believe that the 360 was the superior console in most respects for the first 3-4 years of this generation.

- Breadth and depth of game library.
I enjoy playing games of all sizes and scales across most every genre. I thrive on a variety of experiences. Just last night, I played some WipeOut HD, some Fire Emblem on 3DS, then a dozen matches of Black Ops II with some friends on 360, and finished the night off with some PixelJunk Monsters HD on Vita.

I still don't see either side having much of an advantage on first-party exclusives so far, but Sony's consistent stance on open indie development and self-publishing has lead to a great lineup of indie and F2P games at and near launch that appears to have filled out their lineup quite nicely. This kind of variety may come now that MS flipped and allows self-publishing, but the fruits of those labors will still be quite a ways off.

PS4 will be offering the variety of experiences I want from games at launch. If I weren't interested in shooters, racing, or sports, there would be precious little to be interested in on XBox One. PS4 has all those bases covered and more.

And you say, "Well, won't all those indie games make it to Xbox One eventually?"
Most likely, just like how Titanfall will make it to PS4. :p

- Value of PS+ > XBL
PS+ has been well worth the cost to me. Through discounts on content and free games I would've bought otherwise, I routinely save well over $100 a year on PS+, and I've discovered a few games that I really like that I would have ignored had they not been free on PS+. The money I will save from PS4 games free on PS+ that I would've bought otherwise in the first few months will alone cover the cost of a year's sub. While it bothers me that online play for retail games is now behind a paywall, I had no qualms about the value of PS+ before then.

MS has done a poor job in the past few years at justifying the cost of XBL Gold, and little has changed with XBL on XB1. The only reason I still have it is because I have some friends that only play on 360 because it offers the best online experience on a console. (Most of them are getting a PS4 btw...) I find the practice of locking separate subscription apps behind a paywall and the deluge of advertisements on the dashboard to be reprehensible.

And while the Xbox One may have better online play than the PS4, the gap will be much smaller than it was with the 360 to the PS3.

- Technological superiority
I always make an effort to get the best looking and best performing version of a game. It's why I played so much on the original Xbox (because all the third party games looked and ran best there) and it's why I play most multiplatform games on my PC these days.

Every indication we have shows that at least, the PS4 version of a multiplatform game will be as good looking as the XB1 version, and will likely have many games look better there. It unquestionably has a more powerful GPU and has a superior RAM setup to XB1, and doesn't have an arcane architecture like the one that often dragged down the PS3. The similarities between the PS4 & XB1 architectures to PC should actually make it easier for devs to properly exploit the spec advantages the PS4 has on paper.

- Sony appears to have fixed much of what the PS3 did wrong with their interface
One of the big reasons why the cost of XBL Gold was justifiable to me was because the interface and online offerings on PS3 were so lackluster compared to what the 360 had.

But with the PS4, Sony has a quick interface that includes all the features that made the 360 so easy to use (cross game party chat, quick join MP, music in all games). The massive updates and patches will download in the background.

The only big question I have about PS4 is how solid the online server infrastructure will be. How rare will server outages be, and how many games will have dedicated servers?

- The unique features of the Xbox One need to be proven or just don't interest me
I don't watch sports or TV really much at all, so their current half-assed cable box integration is of no interest to me.

The original Kinect was a resounding failure in consistent input and in delivering unique experiences. For Kinect 2, none of the applications or games shown so far are all that innovative, and I've seen no applications of motion control with Kinect enhancing traditional games.

Also, I have serious doubts about Microsoft's first parties and their commitment to supporting the console long-term with games. With both Xboxes so far, first-party game support has trickled to a crawl after four years or so. I don't want this pattern to continue.

As for their first party strength, Microsoft has either let go of (Bungie, Bizarre Creations, Real Time Worlds), closed (Ensemble, FASA), or squandered (Lionhead, Rare) most of their best talent in the past few years. Aside from the Forza studios, all of their first-party studios have to prove themselves. And I just can't get hyped about a Halo game again after the across-the-board failure that was Halo 4.

Maybe the OP is saying that price doesn't matter to him, so he doesn't want people to use it in their arguments. This thread is more specific to the OP rather than a general discussion about the next gen. I'm in the same boat and was interested to see what people were going to say here, but it didn't turn out to be that much of a help. I'm actually not very interested in the Sony first party games. I know most people aren't like this, but it is my opinion after all. I would actually like to hear what you are specifically referencing about the Playstation ecosystem. Since I was a primarily 360 gamer this generation, I was just going to stick with Microsoft. I'm not against considering the major positives Sony is putting forth this generation, though. This is another reason I also don't want to hear about the negatives of the other systems, just the positives here.

That's totally reasonable, and I can relate. I don't see either side having a distinct advantage for next gen with the AAA games they've announced so far, and I firmly believe that the 360 was the superior console across the board for the first 3-4 years of this generation.

There are plenty of reasons besides first-party exclusives why the PS4 is seeming like the more attractive proposition to most gamers. While there's plenty of fanboy talk (from both sides) in this thread, there are also plenty of valid reasons for why Sony is offering a stronger console versus the XB1 than they did with the PS3 versus 360.

Dizzy

Banned
Because PS2 was quite possibly the best console ever, PS3 ended up being by far the best console this gen. Sony consoles deliver, and Sony itself puts out the best exclusives overall in my opinion.

I'm actually planning to go more PC this gen if I'm honest, but I want a console for the exclusives. A lot of the stuff from Sony, and then the Japanese games a lot of which end up being exclusive to consoles.

Because Xone will not launch this year where I live. Maybe a couple of million people will say the same if they read GAF.

But I don't know if I will get what I want:
I'm mostly interested in a better console that is responsive, is easy to use, does not bother me with lengthy updates, has great multiplayer features.

Have no idea if the PS4 is like that. The Vita and PS3 honestly suggest otherwise.

But I'll get a PS4 anyway. Because I love the new direction from Sony and their renewed efforts to be the home of innovative games.

Spongebob

Banned
System Longevity

Sony support their consoles to a great length. Even the Vita, which has struggled in its market to put it politely, is still getting consistent support. They don't suddenly ditch their consoles when making the transition to next gen like some companies are known too, and even in it's seventh year, the PS3 is still getting terrific looking games.

First-party Studios

I like weird games, and I like variety. With this in mind, I feel Sony cater to my tastes the most, as they splash out cash on risky and offbeat projects more than any other publisher. They don't rely solely on a singular franchise, so I can't accuse them of constantly milking an IP (which is something I personally cannot stand), but rather there's a breadth to their catalogue of releases. We're not really seeing that so much at the start of the PS4's life cycle as we are the end of the PS3s, at least not with the bigger titles, but it'll happen. They're willing to fund and put a hefty budget behind unconventional ventures like Quantic Dream's interactive dramas, Team ICO's minimalist approach to story-driven gaming and MediaMolecule's eccentric brand of platformers, and I'm greatly appreciative for it.

Oh, and they've got Naughty Dog - the greatest video game developer there is.

PS4 Exclusives

inFamous: Second Son, Rime, Killzone: Shadow Fall and The Order: 1886 are all games I really want to play.

The Dual Shock 4

My hands will rest on that thing as snug as a bug on a rug. Look at it, it's perfection in the form of a controller.

The Hardware

It's the most powerful next-gen console, at an affordable price, and there're no tacky, unwanted add-ons you're forced to shell out extra cash for.

The Message

They haven't put a foot wrong. Like House said at Gamescom, Sony have been consistent in presenting their message towards consumers. The most anti-consumer policy they've enforced is that multiplayer is now behind a paywall, but seeing as how I have PS+ already and its a brilliant service, that's not much of an issue at all. Everything else has stayed the same or is being made better.

Remote Play

I'm honestly not too interested in this, but I have a Vita so... it's a bonus I guess!

History

If the past has taught me anything, it's that the Playstation is generally the way to go. Loved Sega, but obviously they aren't in the hardware race anymore. Microsoft started well, but they didn't deliver with the 360 in my opinion, and they've totally lost any good will I had for them with the Xbone fiasco, and Nintendo... well, they just haven't done anything for me in years. They're far too safe and conservative these days, both with firsty-party output and cheap, underpowered hardware. Sony have been consistent though. Out of the big three, the PS3 is the best console I've owned this gen, easily, and the PS1 remains my favourite console of all time. PS2 was outshone by the Dreamcast imo, but hey, 2 out of 3 ain't bad. Based purely on preferences built from years of playing games and buying consoles, I know which company my best bet is when it comes to delivering the gaming goods.
Excellent breakdown.

njean777

Because I trust Sony more then MS, and I have been a Sony fan since the ps1, so may as well continue with Sony.

KupoNut

Picking it up because I've had a great history with older Sony consoles. PS4 will eventually have a great library of games. Also I'm excited about the game sharing features and Unity support.

Also I'm loving little things like the audio jack and touchpad on the controller, or Vita remote play, could really become super handy.

Alchemy

Hardware is better and cheaper, Kinect does nothing for me.
PS4 is simply a better gaming device even if it is a small difference, and the entire package is cheaper. I wouldn't mind paying more but the only reason the Xbone is more expensive is because of a useless (for gaming) peripheral. If the Kinect did anything special for gaming we would have started to see it on the 360, it just would have had accuracy and latency problems. Instead the entirety of content built for the device is lackluster and uninteresting.

Sony has better in house developers.
Naughty Dog trumps any developer under Microsofts flag, and that is just the tip of the iceberg. I trust Sony on its own to build up a decent library of exclusives much more than I do Microsoft. 343 really killed Halo for me, and Fable hasn't been an interesting IP since the first game.

Top Bottom