• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you're grabbing an Xbox One X, Why? & What games are you looking forward too?

Yes, I am going to buy an XB1X.

I prefer console gaming.
I have a Samsung KS8000.
I want the best possible visuals & performance available on console.
I have a lot of friends on Xbox.
Back-compatible

From the conference, I'd say I'm looking forward to Metro, Anthem, Ori, Crackdown, Forza, PUBG.

Of course there are many other games that I'm interested in, just too many to list or think of atm. I'll be happy knowing that whatever I'm playing, it will be the best version, or at least it should be, if the developer takes advantage of the extra power, which I believe most will.

Gowans

That's great to read, and refreshing compared to the usual rhetoric surrounding Xbox on here, which is why I asked. No agenda here. Really considering jumping back in with the Xbox One X (which will no doubt look glorious on my 4K OLED), but £450.. my word. I better get saving.. :)

Yeah get £20 a week in the piggy bank and you'll be sorted.

Honestly I've loved this gen on Xbox, I keep holding off on getting other platforms because of the size of my library and my social group.

Theres plenty of opinions on GAF and still plenty of room for differences, I'll keep following xbox and joining in the thread and posting whats doing it for me. Still looking forward to the Sony conf tonight, excited to see if I'll jump back into Call of Duty after a good few year break.

Because I like new shiny toys. Despite owning a PC and PS4 I play most of my games on Xbox. Am very into the Forza franchise.

I've also got some spare fun money sat around from a tax rebate and ppi refund (Brits will know what that is).

So I will trade in my Day One XB1, give my kids my S, and have the X in my study on my 4K TV.

Very much looking forward to Forza Motorsport 7. Anthem looks interest. I'm bound to pick up Assassin's Creed at some point. My boys always ask for FIFA so I'll be playing that too.

Expect RDR2 and BF2 will be spectacular on the format.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
I'm totally down with an Xbox One X. I expected $500 so I'm not terribly surprised by the price for what they said they were going to achieve-4K/60fps games.

*HOWEVER* while we were being wowed by the games and the pretty graphics/performance...something started to cross my mind.

Will MS try to re-introduce the disastrous DRM policies it initially had in place for the Xbox One? Random internet checks or your system gets bricked? Physical games? Will they be tied to user accounts and untradeable(remember they weren't going to allow physical disc trade ins any longer)?

These are the things I need to know before going "all in". If they so much as *hint* at any of the above, I'm out.

Only did I pick up an Xbox One after they swore off all the horrible drm practices and Kinect(which they eventually admitted could in fact be subject to invading someone's privacy without them knowing it, say if the government wanted records!).

Has any of this stuff been covered? Or are they going to wow everyone with the awesome sights and sounds then low blow us with the drm crap again?

I prefer playing on a console, and even if I didn't all my friends are on console so I don't buy games on PC (even single player games for the most part). I don't like running my PC, heating up my room, and messing with game configurations endlessly, and always feeling like the game could run better or look better if I tweaked it more.

The benefits they've laid out with the One X are compelling for new games and old games going back to OG Xbox now, and I don't even have a 4k TV of my own yet. I'm excited to play Blood and Wine, Wolfenstein The New Order, Halo 5, and tons more Rocket League on it.

Xbox will probably be my primary multiplatform console from here on out and I will keep it updated instead of my PC. I prefer the controller and their platform interface and services much more than Sony's, so it's always been my go to for that.

I haven't decided what new games I'm getting this year. Wolfenstein 2 seems like a fairly sure thing, and Assassin's Creed has my interest. Maybe Battlefront 2 for a graphical showcase and because the DLC is free. I'll be busy with Mario Odyssey as well, so I don't need a lot of new Xbox games to justify the purchase, and I have plenty in the backlog to finish that will be getting upgrades.

PooBone

Yes.

I have a 4K TV. Xbox One X will be the machine I use for everything, I have a PS4 for any Sony exclusives I want and a Wii U for Breath of the Wild. All set.

don't know yet, because i will play Anthem likely on PC

Crackdown maybe, if the games looks and is better than the trailer yesterday
I want Path of Exile. Maybe that game will get a nice 4k XBOX treatment

It's honestly more about the 2018 games.
Halo 6, Forza Horizon 4 and what else we can get

I'm totally down with an Xbox One X. I expected $500 so I'm not terribly surprised by the price for what they said they were going to achieve-4K/60fps games.

*HOWEVER* while we were being wowed by the games and the pretty graphics/performance...something started to cross my mind.

Will MS try to re-introduce the disastrous DRM policies it initially had in place for the Xbox One? Random internet checks or your system gets bricked? Physical games? Will they be tied to user accounts and untradeable(remember they weren't going to allow physical disc trade ins any longer)?

These are the things I need to know before going "all in". If they so much as *hint* at any of the above, I'm out.

Only did I pick up an Xbox One after they swore off all the horrible drm practices and Kinect(which they eventually admitted could in fact be subject to invading someone's privacy without them knowing it, say if the government wanted records!).

Has any of this stuff been covered? Or are they going to wow everyone with the awesome sights and sounds then low blow us with the drm crap again?

I would hope they've learned their lesson about that the first time around. However, if they get into a dominant position again - who knows?

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
We're trying to defer reaction threads until after E3. PM a mod after Friday to have this thread be reopened.

Gowans

Thanks for the unlock.

I've been thinking over the next few days and glad I bought my 4k to early now but no way I can buy all of these, going to have to be selective and reading up more then ever.

Bgamer90

Banned
*I have a 4K TV
*I use my Xbox One regularly

And that's pretty much it in terms of why I'm getting it. I replaced my PS4 with a PS4 Pro even though I only used my PS4 for console exclusives. Would be strange to not replace my Xbox One S with the X considering I use Xbox for more than just its console exclusives (multiplats, backwards compatible titles, media, etc.).

EBE

i skipped the One S and want 4k uhd blu ray playback. not interested in any game in particular, i just want whatever i happen to get, or already own, as in the case of forza horizon 3/gears of war, to look better/sharper.

Xenoflare

Most of my games that I bought are Xbox One games, and I intend on playing the multiplat games there.

I like the controller better

dreamfall

I'm thinking about it, and probably will save up.

I'd like to play Assassin's Creed Origins on a 4K t.v. and have it optimized around a stable 30 fps framerate, even though I could probably play it on my standard PC monitor. The same goes for the new Middle Earth game - it would be nice to experience that at a 4K resolution. I want to see how the updates to Forza Horizon 3 really make the game pop, and I'm excited about Crackdown 3.

I bought a fat XBO in a deal with a laptop for cheap, and most of my multiplatform library is on PC first and then PS4. I've used the console almost exclusively for backwards compatible games, and for Gears of War 4 on occasion. Hopefully if I do bite, this will be worth it.

Why?

Love the Eco system
Love the controller
Bc
Most of my friends are on Xbox

Crackdown
Halo
SOT
Ori
Anthem
FH
Ashen

I basically play all 3rd party games on Xbox and with the 1X they'll load and look even better now.

Refused

Neo Member
The prospect of Forza at 4k60 is too good to pass up, I couldn't achieve that on my PC without an upgrade that would cost more than the One X.

EvB

I'll be grabbing one.
I want shiner graphics and a the best Xbox experience I can get, the same reason I end up with a new iPhone every year.
Whilst I could go PC for even shiner graphics many of my friends won't which would mess with my online social life. I also simply don't want the PC settings tinkering life again. I've done that before when I was a young'un and spent longer replaying he first level of a game over and over as I adjusted settings and never actually played the games.

I'm particularly looking forward to Crackdown, also the Dishonored 2 expansion pack this year

Yes, because I have a really good 4k/HDR TV and a bunch of friends on Xbox.

I would just buy a better computer monitor but the friends on Xbox thing kinda makes it necessary to own one.

Day 1 purchase for sure. Might trade in my OG xbox1 or just move it into bedroom.

All my friends are on Xbox
Own a 4k tv already

Games:
Destiny 2
Crackdown
Forza 7
Assassins creed
Ori
Cuphead

Plasma

Banned
I'm still on the fence but if they give Halo MCC and Halo 5 a 4K update I'll pick one up because I want to do a Halo marathon and play them all through back to back.

MysteryM

Why:

Xbox caters perfectly to the types of games I play, which is predominately competitive online gaming. Halo, gears, cod, battlefield are all coming and most will look best on the x. I already have 2 Xbox ones (I have adult kids who also game a lot) and a PS4 and switch, but the PS4 is the least played in our house. Indeed I'm the only one who plays it and only then for a handful of games.

The best controller, the best online service and now the best graphics. There is no question that the x will be at my home on day one - and I'm so looking forward to it.

Doffen

I'm getting Xbox One X.

Why?

- I'm invested in the ecosystem (games library, Live, Achievements, etc.)
- Best controller for me
- I want to upgrade my launch XB1
- I want the visual updates for games I currently enjoy.

Games:
- Smite
- Forza Horizon
- Ark (got friends already playing it, but it was too janky for me on XB1)
- Anthem
- Minecraft
- Crackdown
- PUBG

What is it about Xbox that keeps you as a 'Huge Xbox Fan'?

I want to answer this as well:
The complete package. From Xbox Live to gems like Forza Horizon 3. Like others have mentioned I also got a group of friends I play with on Xbox, the focus on MP and coop made us stay.

I really can't wait to make the switch back from the PS4 Pro. I can't stand it's erratic fan profile. It may be sad but that's one of my biggest annoyances with the box. Of course it remains to be seen if MS doesn't also fuck that up.
Xbox pad is a given. Ergonomics and battery life. It's the best controller.
Being able to just upload uncompressed screenshots to the cloud again will be heaven. Fuck digging out a USB stick.
4K recording sounds cool and, if the bitrate isn't terrible, will be a necessary functionality to properly convey how a game actually looks for the player.
Sony had some of my favorite titles this generation on their platform this year, but a) showed nothing at E3 to convince me that would continue and b) I already have the box for those exclusives, should they come out. The majority of year round gaming consists of multi platform titles for me and I just want the highest quality there. The additional RAM and memory bandwidth will help with texture filtering and higher res textures which I keep saying is the thing that really makes 4K shine.

In terms of games I'm really looking forward to Crackdown even though it's not the most beautiful game I could really go for that type of gameplay right now. Other than that it's multiplats. (Evil Within and Wolfenstein 2 this year, maybe Destiny 2)

Edit: Forgot about UHD. want to check that out too.

I'm grabbing the X on Day 1. Why?

Majority of friends play on Xbox Live or PC. With Crossplay/buy, I can play with both.
Best controller (elite pad)
I can afford it.
Invested in the eco-system and like the exclusives they do produce (although they need to improve in this area.)

I have a group of friends I've been playing Xbox with since Halo 2 in 2004. There's been weddings/divorces/children and sadly, even a death along the way, but we're all still together and playing games.

CaptainClaw

Why

Halo alone...I mean here me out, the thought of a Halo Game on the most powerful console just like Halo 1+2 during the OG days they really were gorgeous looking games at the time and even Bungie and 343s attempts on the 360 and OG One were brilliant with the power restraints they had.

My Friends are getting it

Also getting a 4K TV around the fall

Jessensor

Yes.

Why?
- I would like to use my 4K HDR TV even more than what my One S and Pro can offer.
- All my friends are on Xbox.
- Console gamer and I want the best experience.

Games?
- Forza Horizon 3
- Anthem
- Battlefront II
- Red Dead Redemptiom 2
- Sea of Thieves

Day 1 for Me.

I have a 200+ Digital Game Library on Xbox one (including 360 games)
I have a Samsung KS8000
I have a backlog of games I'm never going to finish (a lot of those games are getting 4k upgrades)
Love my Xbox Elite Controller
Love the ECO system
All my Friends are on Xbox.

Games I'm most excited to play

Resident Evil 7 4k
Titanfall 2 4k
Anthem
Gears 4, 4k
Ori 2
Cuphead
Halo 6

mcmanic

why
i have a KS7000 and want more 4K stuff
I have a PS4 PRO but it has no 4K UHD DVD support
Because i have the cash and i buy every release day console and heldhand

C4Lukins

I really only have time for one system in my life. I still have a backlog going back to the 360, PS3, Wii era. Not to mention Steam.

So I decided to go with XBOX One this generation for better or worse, and still I have a huge backlog of games to play.

But I also bought a 4K, HDR television set last year, and still enjoy the best and the brightest in technology.

So for me I will buy the new system for the better performance and to see the new games in all of their glory. Plus Crimson Skyies!

MilkyJoe

Why?
Most powerful by a country mile
Best controller
Backwards compatibility
UHD blu ray
Fair price

Games
Forza 7
Battlefront
CoD WW2
Ace Combat 7
Metro
Life is Strange
Project Cars 2
Strange Brigade
Cup Head

Ushay

Being someone who started any and all gaming on PC this console is perfect for me. I used to be that guy who needed bleeding edge visuals and the best looking games all the time. At some point after wife and kids came into the equation (and work) it became a little frustrating dealing with expensive parts, drivers and the endless wave of bugs and incompatibilities PC brings with it.

So at this point I made the switch to Xbox 360,things were simple again for me.

I have come to love many aspects of the Xbox system like the UI, controller, online (loads of friends, some even here on GAF) and some great exclusives.

Now Xbox One X gets announced, and it solves that one niggling issue I have always had with consoles. Power.

As for games I want to play?
- Witcher 3
- Middle Earth
- Fallout 4
- Anthem (easily my most anticipated)
- Crackdown
- Ori 2
- Metro

There is a Lot to look forward to, contrary to what many claim here. There is an issue with exclusives, I freely admit needs addressing. But Spencer and his team have done an incredible job with hardware and platform that I have zero reservations these games will come.

piggychan

I have already sold my xbone S to a buddy so picking up the X later this year as I want to replay fallout IV, Sunset O etc which I hope will get patched with better image quality and frame rates.

Chumley

Banned
Selling my OG Xbox One for one because I want a UHD player and my TV is too far to connect my PC to, so play anywhere games like Forza will get lots of use.

Ghostage

Why?
I have a 4K TV
All my friends have now returned back to Xbox after switching to PS4
Game-sharing with my brother instead of borrowing his console
I´ll be able to cross-play Minecraft at home with my nieces as i already have a Switch
Multiplats will perform best on the console

Games
Ori & The Will of the Wisps
Forza 7
Assassins Creed Origins
Fifa 18 (hopefully in 4k)
Sea of Thieves
Backwards compatibility
MCC and replaying all Halo games in co-op with my brother

bede-x

At the beginning of the generation most of my friends chose to replace the Xbox with other platfroms, mostly PS4, due to the online DRM, weak hardware and Kinect, but some still remained that I'd like to play with. It wasn't until backwards compatibility that I started getting into games with my Xbox friends that I couldn't get on PS4. That kinda brought me back because I have a ton of 360 titles that I'd still like to play, but Microsoft abandoned them at the beginning of the generation, making them easy to give up.

So I guess the reasons are:

Friends
Backwards compatibility

I might not technically need the One X for those, but I like buying new systems and if I'm gonna use the ecosystem why not have the best hardware to do it?

As for games I look forward to, my most wanted is Super Lucky's Tale. I know it's a low budget platformer that won't do much to set the world alight, I just happen to love that genre. I expect Crackdown 3 to be great as well, considering I loved the old games, even the second one that wasn't much more than a zombie reskin of the first.

CrayToes

I'm undecided as of yet. But if I were to buy one it would be primarily due to the fact that I have a nice big 4K TV that I want to use as much as possible. Other factors would include Forza 7, Red Dead and Wolfenstein all potentially being native 4K. Plus the fact that recent MS products have been stunning and I have a hardware fetish.

£450 is a lot of monies though.

Why

- Xbox is my system of choice. I have a Wii U, a Surface, and my phone I can game on also (to a different degree)
- Was all in from official Scorpio announcement
- I'll be upgrading my TV to an OLED and new receiver with Atmos - Xbox One has HDR and games will bring Atmos
- Gaming is my main hobby. Outside of work and family, it's where I spend a lot of my time, so happy to invest in it
- A top spec PC can be better, of course. Although I've had a top spec PC and found myself playing with settings more than playing games

Pre Release Patched Games
- Forza Motorsport 7 / Horizon 3
- Middle Earth: Shadow of War - possibly
- The Witcher 3*
- Gears of War 4
- Doom*
- Fallout 4*
- Killer Instinct
- Tekken 7*
- Titanfall 2

*Games which Ive either paused a current play through or holding off for One X release.

Games After X Release
- Sea of Thieves
- Metro Exodus
- State of Decay 2
- Crackdown 3
- ANTHEM
- Ori and Will of the Wisps
- Halo 6

Games I Hope Get Patches
- Pro Evolution Soccer 2018
- Halo 5 / MCC
- Rocket League

Bookman

Why ?

Because I'm a grown man with fulltime jobb. It's not that expensive for me but I can agree that it's not worth the extra money if you have ... I don't know.. a life?

I want to play assassin's creed, gears 4, shadow of mordor and some uppcoming stuff.

It's not really necessary to buy it a t launch but my reasoning is that I'm going to buy it at one point and the money it cost me to buy it at launch is the difference in price between launch and ca a year later? Its probably not that much money?

Edit: o yea, witcher 3. That could be cool.

TB12

Banned
Why xbox one x

- i preferred console
- i already have 4k oled hdr tv
- i want to play the best version of multiplats
- i dont care about backwards compatible
- i dont care about cross platform multiplayer

Most anticipated games for the xbox one x

- ori 2
- forza horizon 4...
- anthem