• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ign decides to rank FF series

Pachinko

Is this really worth even making a mainstream article for? Kind of the stuff of blogs more then major update.

Plus, ranking them in a top 12 doesn't really work, using a 4chan style tier system is probably more accurate to the fans tastes.

Example -

God Tier (chances are you like one of these 2 or haven't played them)- FF6 and FF7

Divisive Tier(it's either as good as god tier or you think it's crap) - FF5, FF8, FF11, FF12

Nostalgia tier (only good because you played it before) - FF1, FF4

Forgettable tier (maybe you played it , maybe you liked it but every other entry does something better) - FF3 , FF9 , FFX

Crap tier(not even worth playing) - FF2

orioto said:
Mission accomplished.
Correct. I think I would have switched FFIX with FFVIII. I really liked 8 a lot. And FFVII, no matter what anyone says, 7 is still very playable today, story still holds up fairly well and the game just oozes charm and the soundtrack is fantastic!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
12. FF2
11. FF1
10. FF3
9. FF5
8. FF10
7. FF8
6. FF11
5. FF9
4. FF12
3. FF4
2. FF7
1. FF6

KtSlime

Damn all you 8 haters, I think it is about right on the list, maybe could be a bit higher. 7 is okay, but way overrated, no way does it deserve top, either 6 or 4. I don't think 7 is as influential to the series as many like to make it out to be. And no matter how much I liked 9, I don't think it added anything to the series, it was kind of a 'lets go retro' game.

7 and 8 should be lower, 9 and 1 should be higher, 4 should be number one instead of 6.

Obviously you have to look at the games as they were the time they were released. I always find FF4 to be the most accessible, fun game in the series - for the 16-bit era games it's a bit more simple than FF6 but it's a very nice tight package. I don't know why 9 gets a bad rap, it's the only PS1 Final Fantasy that's playable today IMO (replayed it on my PSP not too long ago) it's get a little warped, weird, and drawn out near the middle but no worse than 7 does. Well... maybe a little worse but the first disc at least is so much better than FF7 that it doesn't really matter.

iidesuyo

I'll never get the FFX hate. Maybe because I played it years after the release and wasn't caught in the initial hype. Beside V it's my favourite one.

I'm actually perfectly content with this list. Since everyone else is doing it, here's mine. (Not counting 11 since I didn't play it)

11. XII
10. II
9. V
8.III
7.I
6.IV
5. IX
3/4 (Tied). X and VI
2. VIII
1. VII

7Th

My Final Fantasy series ranking in no specific order:

V
X
XII
XI
III
I
II
VI
VII
IV
VIII
IX

Rez said:
if you liked the super-linearity of FF10, but thought, "you know what this game needs less of? exploration, side-quests, mini-games and towns", then you'll LOVE FFXIII.

You know what other FF game had no exploration, towns or mini-games? Final Fantasy Tactics! And we all know how Tactics is considered, in terms of gameplay, easily the best FF game out there.

Haunted

LiK said:
preorder still on!
I've played all proper mainline FF games and I won't make an exception for XIII, but I'm seriously shocked by how bad some of the impressions seem (compared to my expectations for what I want an FF game).

Fox the Sly said:
Um, did they forget about Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings?
They've probably considered it a spinoff project like Dirge of Cerberus or Before Crisis, or Crisis Core, or the After Years.

GaussTek

IMO, the list is pretty good, just a few games that need to be changed.

12. FF11
11. FF2
10. FF3
9. FF1
8. FF5
7. FF12
6. FF9

5. FF8
4. FF4
3. FF10

2. FF7
1. FF6

Edit. What no one can deny is that the best four are 4, 6, 7 & 10. Followed by 8, 9 and 12. Then the rest.

Edit2.
Damn google translator lol

Haunted

madara said:
Rofl, IGN loves it controversy
?

VI and VII high up, XI at the bottom... there's no way to play it any safer!

Hero said:
Where the fuck is Tactics?
Where the fuck is Dirge of Cerberus!!?

oh wait, probably on the same pile as all the other spinoffs.

cartman414 said:
Lol at people agreeing with "list is incorrect because FF7 isn't #1".
Yeah, but for this series being somewhat of a hot button issue for a lot of gamers, there are an awful a lot of people agreeing generally with the "oh, FF(--) should have been one spot higher".

Generally I hate lists, but this one isn't bad. Now come 5 years from now I wonder where FFXIII ends up? I was not a fan of FFXII. I am not saying that I hated it or anything, it was just a lot different but I did like the Gambit system in that it really worked well with the real-time battles as far as keeping you on top of everything and not feeling frazzled.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i more or less agree with the list...there's a couple id switch but they're generally in the correct position.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Haunted said:
?

VI and VII high up, XI at the bottom... there's no way to play it any safer!

Where the fuck is Dirge of Cerberus!!?

oh wait, probably on the same pile as all the other spinoffs.
There is a way to play it safer.

Do not publish stupid lists.

jeremy1456

GaussTek said:

12. FF11
11. FF2
10. FF3
9. FF1
8. FF5
7. FF12
6. FF9

5. FF8
4. FF4
3. FF10

2. FF7
1. FF6

Edit. What no one cant deny is that the best four are 4, 6, 7 & 10. Followed by 8, 9 and 12. Then the rest.

But FFV is better than everything on that list save for IV, VI, and VII.

Brazil said:
There is a way to play it safer.

Do not publish stupid lists.

Makes sense to me. I mean look at how butt hurt everyone here is. For every group complaining about IX and XII not being high enough, there would be just as many complainers if they were in the top 2 and VII and VI were low.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Agh, too freakin' many roman numerals and relevant opinions in just one thread.

I'm outta here.

XII should be ranked a lot higher for the simple fact that it has no random battles. Just remembering the road onto the way to ride the shoopuff is giving me horrid memories. Took me like an hour the first time. When I came back with an item with the 'no encounters' property it took me around two minutes.

Fuck you random battles.

Synless

That's a good list. My only problem is final fantasy X should be where final fantasy IV is. Also FFXII sucked it deserves its place.

bengraven

ssoass said:
For me it's VIII > VII = VI > IX > XII > X > V > IV.

chupon.gif

?!?

GaussTek said:

12. FF11
11. FF2
10. FF3
9. FF1
8. FF5
7. FF12
6. FF9

5. FF8
4. FF4
3. FF10

2. FF7
1. FF6

Edit. What no one cant deny is that the best four are 4, 6, 7 & 10. Followed by 8, 9 and 12. Then the rest.

Well I deny it. (The part about 5 being one of "the rest". Better than any of the non-6 entries in my book.)

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
sphere grid saves FF10. otherwise toss it to the freakin' dogs.

FF6 and FF9 are resplendent and endlessly replayable. do more of that.

shuyin_

Banned
FFChris said:
The horrible, horrible characters and VA practically killed it for me.
I agree with you on VA, but horrible characters? Are you high? X has a great cast; the characters are well developed and they grow throughout the story
the Tidus that narrates the story is more mature, wiser and has a more serious tone than the Tidus that you play as, which is goofy and careless and immature.

Ceebs said:
11 and 12 being ranked that low is criminal. Say what you will about 11, but if you put the time in, it is by far the most enjoyable of the series.
Agreed, I would put XI @ #1.....and XII @ #12 because it was horrible.

Luigison

This is depressing. I haven't finished a FF game since the NES and SNES titles. From these lists it ooks like I should go back and play VI and VII.

Top Bottom