• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ign decides to rank FF series

KtSlime

As much as I like 7, and that it moved the series in the 3d direction, and helped sell millions of PlayStations, I can't help but think the only reason so many people have it at the top of their list is because they were too young to play the older games first. 7 is good, but not great, and it really didn't do much for the mechanics of the series. 4 with ATB should be higher than 7. But it's probably not high on the list because 4 wasn't released until after 7 in the US.

TheExodu5

Banned
FF VI had the best:

Characters
Villain
Art
Music

While the battle system wasn't great, the World of Ruin was like a mini-Suikoden, where you're trying to find all the characters to recruit again. That was the gameplay! You really felt connected to the world after traveling it all over again and reuniting your friends.

FF VII does have one leg up on it though:

Pacing

LiK

TheExodu5 said:
FF VI had the best:

Characters
Villain
Art
Music

While the battle system wasn't great, the World of Ruin was like a mini-Suikoden, where you're trying to find all the characters to recruit again. That was the gameplay! You really felt connected to the world after traveling it all over again and reuniting your friends.

Pacing

and tits :p

Rpgmonkey

silverbullet1080 said:
FFVI is by far the best mainline FF game in every way shape and form.

I found the gameplay and the majority of the characters average or boring. World of Ruin also caused everyone to have a lot of generic dialogue besides their one little part, which annoyed me.

Almost everything else is top-notch however.

Jigsaw

Banned
cant wait for ff13 to be released so the stupid ff12 hate will stop,all will hate ff13 then

ff12 was great,ff6 was way too short to be the best ff ever

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
silverbullet1080 said:

I didn't like VI all that much, found it to be vastly inferior to VII, IX and XII
I didn't play VI until 2001 or so, when it was officially released in Europe for the first time

Tellaerin

ivedoneyourmom said:
As much as I like 7, and that it moved the series in the 3d direction, and helped sell millions of PlayStations, I can't help but think the only reason so many people have it at the top of their list is because they were too young to play the older games first. 7 is good, but not great, and it really didn't do much for the mechanics of the series. 4 with ATB should be higher than 7. But it's probably not high on the list because 4 wasn't released until after 7 in the US.

Buh?

Um, FF IV was one of the first RPG's released for the SNES in the US...

KtSlime

Tellaerin said:
Buh?

Um, FF IV was one of the first RPG's released for the SNES in the US...

Haha, so you're right my mistake, I haven't played it in the english, got my numbers confused.

*edit* So I guess that makes me more curious about the lack of 4 love.

8 should be a couple spots higher and ahead of 10, 4 needs to be lower. I had to give up on 4 DS because I hated it.

How different is it from the normal version of the game?

ugh more lists

I definitely think VI is the best, and that VII is hugely overrated - but it's certainly good, still.

VI > IV > VII would be my top 3.

I actually like FFX a lot for its battle/level-up system, disregarding its horrible story.

TheExodu5

Banned
Aaron Strife said:
I actually like FFX a lot for its battle/level-up system, disregarding its horrible story.

Same here. The post game monster-arena stat maxing really bumps the game up on my list.

DR2K said:
No, not really. As VII was the superior of the 3. IV was laughably bad, and VI I remember playing and giving up not too far along, very forgettable. I did think Terra and Kefkla were amazing in Dissidia, so I want to give it another shot.

So, 6 is a forgettable game because you gave up part way through. Got it.

Tellaerin

ivedoneyourmom said:
Haha, so you're right my mistake, I haven't played it in the english, got my numbers confused.

*edit* So I guess that makes me more curious about the lack of 4 love.

I think it's because FF IV and VI were the only two Final Fantasys to get a NA release during the SNES era. North American gamers who first got into FF back then tend to pick VI as their favorite, since it sort of overshadowed IV in terms of size, presentation, etc.

rataven

Besides the obvious switch-a-roo of the placements of VI and VII, VIII is WAY to high. VIII shouldn't be on a list of anything. It should go away.

IV is also to high. I find that game...boring. It's not bad. Just dull.

Forget it. I disagree with this entire list. FFX is the only one that seems to be in the right place. The positions of V and IX make me sad :(

TheExodu5

Banned
SlipperySlope said:
So, 6 is a forgettable game because you gave up part way through. Got it.

Yeah...FF VI is probably the least forgettable of the series. :eek:

FF VII, although being my 2nd favorite FF, is quite forgettable. I can't say I remember what happens in between Nibelheim and Disc 3 at all.

TheExodu5 said:
Yeah...FF VI is probably the least forgettable of the series. :eek:

FF VII, although being my 2nd favorite FF, is quite forgettable. I can't say I remember what happens in between Nibelheim and Disc 3 at all.

You seriously forgot one of the most iconic deaths in gaming?

Final Fantasy 6 was the best out of all of the series. It introduce the Summons, it also introduce multiple character (13 characters to play as), and the villain did what he suppose to do...
"IT" TOOK OVER THE WORLD.
Come on people, 7 did some things that a lot games never had done, but 6 was the game that made Final Fantasy jump up to the next level in RPG.

4 was great, but that "SPOONY BARD!!!" was not enough.

Kronotech

I feel they got #1 and #2 spot on although I'm not sure why FFXI was last. Maybe only because it didn't fall under normal console rpg material.

Word up to IGN.

bengraven

silverbullet1080 said:

TheExodu5 said:
FF VI had the best:

Characters
Villain
Art
Music

Pacing

virtual-high-five.GIF

TheExodu5

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
You seriously forgot one of the most iconic deaths in gaming?

I remember going to the Ancient village, and me just watching Sephiroth kill Aeris. Then I remember going to the Temple of the Ancients. I can't remember why we did either of those, even though I've played the game through twice. :lol

Was it to get Holy and Meteor?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Amongst core Final Fantasy fans, 6 is mostly considered the best in the series anyway, yes? And I agree, so there you go. I don't really debate lists, my only "complaint" is that FF12 should be higher, but to each his own.

Glad for 6 though. It's almost sacred as far as RPGs go. I wonder if Square will ever touch it again.

depward

Seems like those that put FFXI as one of the worst FFs never actually played FF or put enough time into it to appreciate it. It being last on this list is laughable.

sh4mike

To summarize:

1) Folks putting FF6 at #1 have good, mature taste.
2) Those putting FF7-FF12 above FF6 either missed the SNES generation during their gaming prime (forgiveable) or suffer from unforgiveably bad taste (generally based in anime obsession).
3) If you are one of the rare breed who played FF6, FF7, and FF8 at release, and ended up enjoying FF8 the most, you are a douche.

TheExodu5

Banned
sh4mike said:
To summarize:

2) Those putting FF7-FF12 above FF6 either missed the SNES generation during their gaming prime (forgiveable) or suffer from unforgiveably bad taste (generally based in anime obsession).
3) If you are one of the rare breed who played FF6, FF7, and FF8 at release, and ended up enjoying FF8 the most, you are a douche.

*high five*

TheExodu5 said:
I remember going to the Ancient village, and me just watching Sephiroth kill Aeris. Then I remember going to the Temple of the Ancients. I can't remember why we did either of those, even though I've played the game through twice. :lol

Was it to get Holy and Meteor?

See, you remember something. It was to get the black materia before Sephiroth got it (a lot of good that did).

sh4mike said:
To summarize:

You're mean :/

FF6 was my first one in the series and I would still put 7 and 8 slightly higher.

Volcynika

Kusagari said:
If by on top you mean listed first because it's the worst FF game ever then you're correct.

Nah, #1 as the best. That's where it belongs.

Also I played VI close to release and VIII like a few years after release. VIII edges it out.

sh4mike said:
To summarize:

QFT!:lol

TheExodu5

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
See, you remember something. It was to get the black materia before Sephiroth got it (a lot of good that did).

Well yeah I remember the main story elements, which is what matters. Not saying it's entirely forgettable...there's just stuff like the snowy mountains where I can't even remember how we got their in the first place.

Fimbulvetr said:
Summons have been around since 3, they just didn't have as much plot significance as in 6.

Except in Final Fantasy VIII, where summons make them forget that they were all orphans under Edea's care. :lol

Top Bottom