• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN rumour: PS4 to have '2 GPUs' - one APU based + one discrete

Sony is tough to read. The Vita is an absolute beast in terms of hardware, but then one could turn around and say, "Cell was a money sink and Sony will NOT go down that road again."

I recall reading some comments in the past where Sony took pride in having great hardware and someone within the company stated that that won't be changing any time soon.

I remember that quote as well.

An A8-3850 plus discrete 7670 and 2 GB unified GDDR-5 pool seems like the lower limit of what I expected from next gen. I was hoping for closer to 7850 performance.

I wonder if this rumored Orbis spec is the low end option, and by going with it, they can launch with a low price by late summer/early fall of 2013. Whereas the high end PS4 option would have sold at a possible loss, and wouldn't be ready for production until 2014, missing the first critical holiday season in 2013. I can imagine them being willing to sacrifice hw superiority if it meant being late again.

So many conflicting rumors. If the Orbis specs are correct, they aren't that impressive, and I will expect MS to do better. A 16 core Xenon with an HD7000/8000 hybrid or two in a CrossFire arrangement sounds all powerful. But others say they expect PS4 to be more powerful. Maybe the Orbis specs are disinformation ? Some actual developer kits should be out in the wild. So the leaks could be real. Maybe neither system will be a super beast like we hoped. Maybe they will get upgraded kits later ? Very interesting.

Triple U

Banned
That old marketing spend is a sunk cost, but marketing is an ongoing expense. Sony didn't just stop advertising after their initial ad buy.

But yeah, marketing costs are absolutely a factor in determining the viability of a product. Stuff like marketing and R&D are crucial costs to take into account before determining if a product will ever actually be profitable or not, and whether or not the product itself is even worth pursuing.

Just ignoring that and looking at it on a day-to-day basis is fine for the current quarterly accounting records, but you've now got that loss (and debt) sitting on your books for years to come.

Yay, I'm making 5 cents per unit. I'll just happily ignore the fact that I'm now $3 billion in the hole because of all the marketing and R&D I did - but hey, I'm making that 5 cents per unit! (sarcastic comment not referring to Sony in particular here).

Yes of course but they won't spend 50 million every quarter on it. The initial ad campaign is different from what they do regularly every quarter or so. But yes there are definitely two different kinds of profitability. There is the day-to-day kind and there is the absolute kind. It makes it confusing to discuss.

I would be ok with a "under powered" console if they ditch the 5-7 year hardware cycle for a shorter 2 - 3 year incremental cycle.

Tech is moving so fast now and yeah we get software updates that add features but eventually the hardware is holding stuff back.

If they have a long term plan to stick with AMD and can keep a level of hardware compatibility.

Have games that look better on the newer hardware just like iOS games that are designed to run on everything from the 4s to the 3g.

The PSP kind of had this. newer models had more RAM that reduced load times and once they got the battery life good enough in newer models that they turned the CPU clock speed up which also kind of killed battery life on the older models.

With consoles becoming more media and internet hubs the 5 year console cycle needs to die.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I would be ok with a "under powered" console if they ditch the 5-7 year hardware cycle for a shorter 2 - 3 year incremental cycle.

Might as well stick to pcs, and do regular hardware upgrades each 2-3 years. Atleast then you're guaranteed BC.

I don't know if I said it in this thread or not, but Sony is likely to go big. They need to stay competitive with MS. Otherwise, they are putting themselves on a playing field with Nintendo... and that's likely a more difficult competitor to overcome.

theBishop

Banned
I don't know if I said it in this thread or not, but Sony is likely to go big. They need to stay competitive with MS. Otherwise, they are putting themselves on a playing field with Nintendo... and that's likely a more difficult competitor to overcome.

I don't think there's any chance of this. Most signs point to Nintendo releasing a console that plays current-gen games. Sony (or MS) could go with a modest design and still be in another stratosphere. There was a sizable performance gap between PS2 and Xbox1. Xbox1 even had enough power to start to play games that we might consider "next-gen" (Doom3, Half-Life 2, etc), which PS2 simply could not handle. But you'd never compare PS2 to N64. That's how big these gaps are. We go through this every 5-7 years.

Sony and MS's next consoles are going to make the current ones look OLD. That's the great circle of life. Based on the technological progress since 2005, there's no reason to think it won't happen again.

Maxrunner

can they really continue to bleed as they have? that's the question...

Maxrunner

I don't think there's any chance of this. Most signs point to Nintendo releasing a console that plays current-gen games. Sony (or MS) could go with a modest design and still be in another stratosphere. There was a sizable performance gap between PS2 and Xbox1. Xbox1 even had enough power to start to play games that we might consider "next-gen" (Doom3, Half-Life 2, etc), which PS2 simply could not handle. But you'd never compare PS2 to N64. That's how big these gaps are. We go through this every 5-7 years.

Sony and MS's next consoles are going to make the current ones look OLD. That's the great circle of life. Based on the technological progress since 2005, there's no reason to think it won't happen again.

i really doubt this....

SERIOUSLY HOW MANY MORE RUMORS CAN WE POSSIBLY SQUEEZE INTO ANOTHER DAY?

Wait dont answer that.

IM NOT TALKING TILL I SEE THE REAL SPECS AND THE MACHINES IN MY POSSESSION.

i-Lo

SERIOUSLY HOW MANY MORE RUMORS CAN WE POSSIBLY SQUEEZE INTO ANOTHER DAY?

Wait dont answer that.

IM NOT TALKING TILL I SEE THE REAL SPECS AND THE MACHINES IN MY POSSESSION.

Yea, you do that till the end of next year. We can all live without entire sentences being capitalized.

Raistlin

Its not relevant because your never gonna see a console MB that is inherently comparable to a PC MB. The apu design wouldn't be exotic because the PC already has had a similar design, the video memory is still in-house on the card and there are still DDR slots. Again, consoles don't use cards and memory is soldered on to a board.
Just because the form factor is different for some of these components doesn't mean the high-level architecture inherently changes. Look at laptops. There are designs that incorporate MoBo designs that are more akin to a console than a PC - memory soldered on, discrete GPU's that aren't using a conventional PCIe slot, etc. Laptop designs are quite different from PC's in terms of physical interfaces, yet they don't require some exotic memory architecture in order to communicate.

An APU isn't some mythical beast. From a high-level it's pretty similar to Intel's integrated graphics - it's an SoC that includes both a CPU and a GPU. In both cases, the GPU uses main memory. They don't have anything that would automatically require a complex new memory architecture. What mostly differentiates ATi's design is processing power and the fact it supports the current shader model.

And yeah, consoles don't use drivers.
That's not strictly the case any more, and if anything I'd expect things to increase.

I also don't know which part of their Xfire design would transfer into a console. A multi-gpu design doesn't make sense in a modern console.
Whether it makes sense or not depends on what the manufacturer is trying to do. As armchair architects, our first inclination is to always assume that a single, more powerful GPU makes the most sense ... but we have no idea what their end goal is or what sort of issues they're seeing.

It's possible that in terms of heat/reliability, they can do better doing a split design than a single GPU even if that means they aren't quite as efficient. I suspect the bigger issue is one of usage intent. They may envision a situation where a low power mode will be quite useful. Basically the console will use the APU-only for certain situations like media, specific arcade games, social stuff, etc. I'm sure there are plenty of other reasons to do something like this we haven't even though of.

No no non no no. NO. The Xbox, PS2, GCN, and 360 all had what is essentially unified memory.
Ugh, you're right. For some reason I remembered Xbox having dedicated VRAM, but it looks like it was 64MB unified.

For PS2 and GCN though, Panajev2001a and Fafalada should be able to answer exactly how those architectures worked. From what I recall of some of their posts, I'm not sure you can really call them unified in the same way that 360 was. The eDRAM on Xenos was for a very specific usage and performance goal. However they could have went without it and rendering/game design wouldn't have changed all that much. For PS2 and NGC, the rendering architecture was quite different from traditional PC or unified IIRC.

Also PC games are designed with Direct X and a Windows Kernel. Its a very poor choice to compare that with console development.
What does that have to do with anything? Direct X is an API for graphics and sound and Windows is an OS. Any modern PC or console has its own functional equivalents. While many times console manufactures allow some level of 'coding to the metal', that doesn't mean a higher level API doesn't exist.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. Direct X isn't tied to split memory or anything. You can use PC's without a dedicated GPU. Moreover, the Xbox was called Xbox as a short-hand for Direct X Box. MS's goal was to make a console with API's and dev environments that were closer to PC development than traditional console development. Xbox and 360's API is essentially a modified subset of Direct X.

No. PS3 has essentially the same amount as the 360. The problem with the PS3's memory is that it used two different types, with different read speeds. The GPU had access to the XDR but it adds extreme latency making it unpractical.
I didn't say it was literally less, I said effectively less. The big issue with PS3 development is that many games coming from PC or being ported from the 360 (360 being the lead console) are more GPU memory bound than CPU. Since the PS3 has 256MB of VRAM, that presents a problem for the games on 360 where they were dedicating more of the unified memory to GPU than CPU.

Also, the issue was made worse by the fact the OS footprint is bigger on PS3 than 360. So even more of the memory is getting eaten up particularly on the GPU side.

These are all issues that could pop up with a two-gpu design. I can't imagine the BW issues of console that would have three separate processing units.
What issues ... I haven't seen any that you've brought up.

Raistlin

Why? When are we even getting 4k TVs? 2025? That doesn't really make much sense to emphasize.
Some have already hit, and they'll be plenty available during next gen.

Is it just me, or does the CPU in that APU suck?
Compared to what? The fact it's OoO makes it quite nice versus previous console CPU's depending on what they plan to do with it.

As of Feb. 1, 2011, the Playstation division had lost $4.7 billion since launching the PS3.

That has only just recently become profitable and I don't believe has come anywhere close to eliminating those losses.
With that line of thinking, MS can't afford a powerful console either since they haven't eliminated their loses from the last 2 generations.

Obviously they try to learn from mistakes, but that doesn't mean the best long-term solution is an underpowered console. In the case of Sony, their biggest issue with PS3 was using too many high-risk components at one time - and having Murphy's Law basically hit all of them.

3 major components had yield and/or delay issues that made the prices crazy. CELL, BluRay (specifically the blue laser diodes in the laser assembly), and HDMI 1.3. Moving forward, BD (even upgraded ones supporting XL and faster read speeds) are a known commodity. There is major economy of scale there. Same can be said of HDMI. Silicon Image began fabbing their 300MHz HDMI 1.4a Tx and Rx parts (they support 1080p60 FP 3D and 4K resolution). They will be in millions of devices by the time PS4 and 720 launch.

So in both of those cases, there is no real concern for yields, and the fact they're used in tons of devices outside of consoles means they'll be continued pricing reductions over time due to scale (not that they're particularly pricey to begin with). Obviously other stuff like Blue Tooth, WiFi, Ethernet, and Hard Drives are not a big deal either. They are all known commodities with HUGE scale and continue to become cheaper and better (well obviously HDD's hit a hiccup due to the tsunami but that should be resolved before next gen).

Really the only major cause for concerns are the CPU and GPU(s). But since they don't have to worry about all those other issues, they can stand plenty of risk here and not end up with a PS3-level fiasco. That said, I suspect they won't even be facing as much risk here as they did with CELL. CELL was a bleeding edge design at the time, and I'm not sure this will be to the same extent. Yes it does sound to be a unique design, but it also seems to be derived from tech AMD already has or has in the pipeline. Even if it's customized a lot for the console, it sounds like a lot of the core tech is derived from stuff they've already been R&Ding.

Another issue with CELL was economy of scale. IBM et al did a pretty good job of shrinking it over time, but they were never able to get it into widespread use outside of PS3 - at least not to the level they had originally intended. If it's true that many of the core technologies used here are derived from things AMD has used or plans to release later ... that means it will likely price-scale better over time. AMD makes processors for a wide variety of uses and will therefore be very proactive in trying to price-reduce them over time (and they're very good at it). It's likely that would spill over to their console designs to at least some extent.

To me, this is a very different situation than PS3.

theBishop

Banned
i really doubt this....

Is this your first console transition? Every generation has made the previous look old. Not just a little worse, but visibly dated. And it's not an SD/HD thing either. PS3 still makes PS2 look like a dinosaur on an SD TV. Every console from NES->Xbox spit out the same NTSC standard, and nobody worth discussing said a word about "diminishing returns".

We now have Vita, a handheld capable of near 360/PS3 performance at a pretty affordable price. This is a milemarker showing us that everything is still on-track. Technology hasn't slowed in the last 10 years.

WrikaWrek

Banned
I don't understand those who think we've hit the wall, or that the next generational leap is going to be small....

No it won't. It will be big like always.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
To be honest, though, everyone was going ga-ga for Samaritan when it was released and I didn't really see the big deal about it.

For me, at least, diminishing returns is real. If next generation is pumping out those graphics and thinking they're getting me to buy a $400 console it's not happening unless they give me a unique way to play it.

Way off topic, though.

I still expect this generation to turn out just like the last one, with Nintendo's being the weakest (although not appearing to be as big of a gap because of the SD/HD difference last generation) and the PS4/Nextbox in the same realm of power.

i-Lo

I assume most of you would like to know how capable a configuration like this is. Well as blind luck would have it I have a video review with the identical (6670 instead of 7670 which happens to repackaged version of the former) setup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxlQLzOCxEc&feature=related

This was posted on 29th of July 2011 and makes me wonder if it helps or hurts the credibility of rumour. I mean it's a bit too similar in configuration.

I hope the thread starter can post to the OP.

StevieP

Banned
I don't understand those who think we've hit the wall, or that the next generational leap is going to be small....

No it won't. It will be big like always.

Although the CGI E3 videos will tell you otherwise, even with 2-4GB of memory, 4-6 core AMD CPUs/APUs and a GPU range that goes from all the way from Turks to Pitcairn, the leap isn't going to be as stratospherically large as the last couple generations. Especially if you guys want 1080p to be the same soft standard that 720p was this gen (i.e. "subfullHD")

i-Lo

Although the CGI E3 videos will tell you otherwise, even with 2-4GB of memory, 4-6 core AMD CPUs/APUs and a GPU range that goes from all the way from Turks to Pitcairn, the leap isn't going to be as stratospherically large as the last couple generations. Especially if you guys want 1080p to be the same soft standard that 720p was this gen (i.e. "subfullHD")

I expect CG esque graphics to be reality in the next 15-20 years. That said, I wonder if it would be realistic to expect Samaritan like graphical quality and tech at 30fps@720p....

onQ123

I assume most of you would like to know how capable a configuration like this is. Well as blind luck would have it I have a video review with the identical (6670 instead of 7670 which happens to repackaged version of the former) setup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxlQLzOCxEc&feature=related

This was posted on 29th of July 2011 and makes me wonder if it helps or hurts the credibility of rumour. I mean it's a bit too similar in configuration.

I actually watched that video a few days ago.

Wow, dirt 3 with max settings, no anti aliasing, however 1080 @ 60fps, without console optimization. Not bad.

salpa

Banned
Some have already hit, and they'll be plenty available during next gen.

Compared to what? The fact it's OoO makes it quite nice versus previous console CPU's depending on what they plan to do with it.

With that line of thinking, MS can't afford a powerful console either since they haven't eliminated their loses from the last 2 generations.

Obviously they try to learn from mistakes, but that doesn't mean the best long-term solution is an underpowered console. In the case of Sony, their biggest issue with PS3 was using too many high-risk components at one time - and having Murphy's Law basically hit all of them.

3 major components had yield and/or delay issues that made the prices crazy. CELL, BluRay (specifically the blue laser diodes in the laser assembly), and HDMI 1.3. Moving forward, BD (even upgraded ones supporting XL and faster read speeds) are a known commodity. There is major economy of scale there. Same can be said of HDMI. Silicon Image began fabbing their 300MHz HDMI 1.4a Tx and Rx parts (they support 1080p60 FP 3D and 4K resolution). They will be in millions of devices by the time PS4 and 720 launch.

So in both of those cases, there is no real concern for yields, and the fact they're used in tons of devices outside of consoles means they'll be continued pricing reductions over time due to scale (not that they're particularly pricey to begin with). Obviously other stuff like Blue Tooth, WiFi, Ethernet, and Hard Drives are not a big deal either. They are all known commodities with HUGE scale and continue to become cheaper and better (well obviously HDD's hit a hiccup due to the tsunami but that should be resolved before next gen).

Really the only major cause for concerns are the CPU and GPU(s). But since they don't have to worry about all those other issues, they can stand plenty of risk here and not end up with a PS3-level fiasco. That said, I suspect they won't even be facing as much risk here as they did with CELL. CELL was a bleeding edge design at the time, and I'm not sure this will be to the same extent. Yes it does sound to be a unique design, but it also seems to be derived from tech AMD already has or has in the pipeline. Even if it's customized a lot for the console, it sounds like a lot of the core tech is derived from stuff they've already been R&Ding.

Another issue with CELL was economy of scale. IBM et al did a pretty good job of shrinking it over time, but they were never able to get it into widespread use outside of PS3 - at least not to the level they had originally intended. If it's true that many of the core technologies used here are derived from things AMD has used or plans to release later ... that means it will likely price-scale better over time. AMD makes processors for a wide variety of uses and will therefore be very proactive in trying to price-reduce them over time (and they're very good at it). It's likely that would spill over to their console designs to at least some extent.

To me, this is a very different situation than PS3.

Microsoft makes money elsewhere, Sony doesn't.

Yeah this shows that this type of configuration would be fine for todays PC games. The question is though, will it be enough to run graphically intensive next generation games such as games using unreal engine 4?

onQ123

Yeah this shows that this type of configuration would be fine for todays PC games. The question is though, will it be enough to run graphically intensive next generation games such as games using unreal engine 4?

in a console? yes

do you think The Last Of Us could run on a PC with 252mb of main ram & a GeForce 7800 with 252mb of Vram?

i-Lo

Imagine the APU but with a modified Pitcairn (>O O>) \o\ |o| /o/

If PS4 can't run UE4 (though it probably will), Epic will be a lot more fucked than Sony will. Not many devs will want to buy licenses for an engine that can only run on one console.

CLEEK

Not quite true (Sony's most profitable division recently has been its financial/insurance wing), but the Playstation division has historically been the company's cash cow and they can't afford another PS3 result.

MS can continue to throw (and lose) billions into Xbox and still turn a healthy profit as a whole. Sony aren't in the same boat. Unless their TV and Gaming divisions turn around their financial positions, Sony are teetering on the edge of the fucked-abyss.

then marketing is not a sunk cost, it is a cost most definately intended to be recovered through sales
All costs are eventually meant to be recovered through sales. That doesn't mean that they're all included in the per unit profit margin calculations of a product.

Direct production costs are included afaik. And marketing isn't a direct production cost.
If you are talking about whether or not a product has made money, sunk costs count just the same as everything else.

Now if you want to talk about how a product will do in the future, you can go ahead and discount sunk costs since they won't be recurring however marketing isn't a sunk cost as they will have marketing costs every quarter. Every company on the planet has marketing costs included as an operating expense.
Yes, it's an operating expense, I don't think you can include it in the margins on each Vita like you're trying to.

If you're talking about whether they're making profit per unit sold then I still fail to see why and even how marketing and R&D - indirect costs - can be included.

Does that mean the profit margin increases gradually on each Vita sold as the per unit marketing spend decreases? Was each launch Kinect sold for a $200 loss?

If you're talking about a return on the investment made in the venture as a whole then sure, marketing, R&D, throw it all in there.

It's why there are those two quotes that people thought were contradictory, but really aren't. They projected the Vita would be a profitable venture in 3 years, but they also expected the Vita to be profitable from launch.

Respawn

Banned
I remember that quote as well.

An A8-3850 plus discrete 7670 and 2 GB unified GDDR-5 pool seems like the lower limit of what I expected from next gen. I was hoping for closer to 7850 performance.

I wonder if this rumored Orbis spec is the low end option, and by going with it, they can launch with a low price by late summer/early fall of 2013. Whereas the high end PS4 option would have sold at a possible loss, and wouldn't be ready for production until 2014, missing the first critical holiday season in 2013. I can imagine them being willing to sacrifice hw superiority if it meant being late again.

So many conflicting rumors. If the Orbis specs are correct, they aren't that impressive, and I will expect MS to do better. A 16 core Xenon with an HD7000/8000 hybrid or two in a CrossFire arrangement sounds all powerful. But others say they expect PS4 to be more powerful. Maybe the Orbis specs are disinformation ? Some actual developer kits should be out in the wild. So the leaks could be real. Maybe neither system will be a super beast like we hoped. Maybe they will get upgraded kits later ? Very interesting.

Try not comparing Consoles to PC's to much. Consoles are built to take advantage of the raw power of there parts. Sony will never release a machine that lags in performance to the other guys.

kuroshiki

Not quite true (Sony's most profitable division recently has been its financial/insurance wing), but the Playstation division has historically been the company's cash cow and they can't afford another PS3 result.

MS can continue to throw (and lose) billions into Xbox and still turn a healthy profit as a whole. Sony aren't in the same boat. Unless their TV and Gaming divisions turn around their financial positions, Sony are teetering on the edge of the fucked-abyss.

While MS has load of cash, MS is also not so liable to throw cash away as it pleases right now. They are setting up massive amount of marketing campaign for Windows phone and Windows 8. They are heavily betting on Windows phone 8 too, since they do NOT want to lose against google and apple.

MS is fighting in entertainment, operating system, and mobile area, along with search engine market. They are fighting in multiple fronts and they are not as rosy as some people may think they are.

CLEEK

MS is fighting in entertainment, operating system, and mobile area, along with search engine market. They are fighting in multiple fronts and they are not as rosy as some people may think they are.

True, but these are now fronts of the same battle. Where as during the development of the Xbox and 360, they were effectively distinct, seperate markets.

MS are now pushing Windows 8 on PCs, tablets, phones and likely, the next Xbox. With it will be a unified app store and Bing ingrained in each one. Live will probably cross over to all devices too.

As such, ensuring market share for the next Xbox will be a key drive for MS. Really, the underlying goal for the Xbox - to get MS into the living room - is only just taking effect with the success of the 360 in the US and the heavy use of Live services.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Considering these consoles don't come out until late 2013, I wouldn't be surprised.

I'm thnking this too. First devkits are just for 1st parties and key 3rd parties to play with the archtecture then final spec will be the 8000 series pictairn or step below equivalent and the APU will be the late year refresher. The 7000 series is nice for the downsizing of decent mid range parts. If the 8000 series does the same then we could get a pretty decent GPU in next gen systems without breaking the bank.

WrikaWrek

Banned

2tzcj6.png

Now think even better!

Sony is in far more trouble than some seem to think. The PS4 will most likely not be a full generational update simply because of the financial trouble Sony finds itself in.
Providing a half assed upgrade is the worst thing they could do. You need to spend money to make money, you won't go anywhere by sitting down and hoping the market comes to you. Sony know this, as does any company. Sony will put everything they can into the next system because they HAVE to. Their most important product is going to get all their attention.

That is not to say they won't be alot more efficient about it. They will. The only way I can see them offering weak hardware is if they have an especially innovative catch that will overcome those deficiencies as Wii did

Personally I'd like to see them succeed that way and gain a couple billion in profits to sustain themselves as Nintendo did this gen

Companies tend to do their best work when backed into a corner. Nintendo did. Apple did. I hope Sony does too.

Raistlin

Wouldn't that be all the more reason for them to try to make PS4 as successful as it can be?

While they're trying to right the ship for underperforming sectors ... TV's comes to mind as the standout ... sabotaging the area they have been successful with (PS3 cost issues aside) is hardly a smart way to go about business. It's not like they need to assume the same risk they did with PS3 in order to have a powerful system. The post you quoted states why that won't be the case this time.

Sony is in far more trouble than some seem to think. The PS4 will most likely not be a full generational update simply because of the financial trouble Sony finds itself in.
Considering Sony's game division is one of the few that's making a profit, they'll continue following the same blueprint that they have been using for the past 16 years. Minus a brand new optical media drive that costs more than their cpu & gpu combined.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Now think even better!
I... don't think that looks so great :\ But some parts of BF3 on PC are highly impressive.

Providing a half assed upgrade is the worst thing they could do. You need to spend money to make money, you won't go anywhere by sitting down and hoping the market comes to you. Sony know this, as does any company. Sony will put everything they can into the next system because they HAVE to. Their most important product is going to get all their attention.
Rally well said and I really hope they realize this. If they can't provide a console that meets people's expectations, they should bow out of the hardware game and start making games for others. They have set certain expectations themselves over the years and now they have to meet that. If they can't, they'll create a product that absolutely no one will care about, especially since their mindshare is tarnished now compared to PS2 days, and especially if competing hardware from MS proves notably better.

The only way the specs like this would be OK is if they plan on providing smartphone style yearly hardware updates (with older games working on newer hardware, and newer games working on older hardware at a lower framerate, lower effects etc) I'd actually be OK with, as long as the hardware is not too expensive. Much more worth spending money on than a "slim" console or a new color.

I... don't think that looks so great :\ But some parts of BF3 on PC are highly impressive.

Rally well said and I really hope they realize this. If they can't provide a console that meets people's expectations, they should bow out of the hardware game and start making games for others. They have set certain expectations themselves over the years and now they have to meet that. If they can't, they'll create a product that absolutely no one will care about, especially since their mindshare is tarnished now compared to PS2 days, and especially if competing hardware from MS proves notably better.

The only way the specs like this would be OK is if they plan on providing smartphone style yearly hardware updates (with older games working on newer hardware, and newer games working on older hardware at a lower framerate, lower effects etc) I'd actually be OK with, as long as the hardware is not too expensive. Much more worth spending money on than a "slim" console or a new color.
I do think a model like that could work, especially if they design it so graphics automatically adjust based on the system being used. That way it doesn't have to be retooled or patched every time a new increment comes out, and developers can just design to the highest level and still have their games available on first gen devices

Of course the problem is then that you are selling to an enthusiast crowd. If the enthusiasts know that a much better version is coming out in the future, they might be inclined to wait. In any scenario, I still think they need to come out of the gate as strong as possible. But the thing Sony can't do is waver in the middle undecided. If they come out with half assed hardware and a PS Move controller and an upgraded Eyetoy they might as well count themselves out of the generation.

I'm personally not convinced extreme hardware is the best way to go. Wii proved it isn't really. If Sony have a game changing idea they should go for it, the market has proven itself very receptive to new ways of playing games.

i-Lo

I wonder if there is any chance of a mid range HD 8000 part ? Seems doable to me.

Precisely my thoughts. If AMD come out with 8-series at a similar time next year, then I'd expect them to put it in PS4. The reason is that it should have better power to performance ratio. Hence a 8850 Sea Island may consume power that is between 7850 and 7770. It is possible and lower heat would mean better reliability from the start. Things can only get better as the generation passes.

Wouldn't that be all the more reason for them to try to make PS4 as successful as it can be?

While they're trying to right the ship for underperforming sectors ... TV's comes to mind as the standout ... sabotaging the area they have been successful with (PS3 cost issues aside) is hardly a smart way to go about business. It's not like they need to assume the same risk they did with PS3 in order to have a powerful system. The post you quoted states why that won't be the case this time.

Given that they are competing directly against MS, they'd be stupid not to. It'd make a lot more sense to go 180 on their philosophy of power had they come with a new console this year to compete with the Wii. And as aforementioned, customization of an existing or its future derivative will be far less of a cost burden compared to producing another bespoke piece of tech as was done for PS3.

z0m3le

Banned
PS1, PS2 were about half as powerful as the most powerful consoles in their generation, PS3 is the only system Sony released that changed that... (the mobile market has had stronger hardware, there is also stronger hardware than the vita in devices coming out this year) I don't think Sony believes that to be successful, you need the best hardware, they know that it comes down to the games, which is how they have won those previous generations, through massive 3rd party support, and that doesn't mean the most powerful box, or history would look QUITE different.

PS1, PS2 were about half as powerful as the most powerful consoles in their generation, PS3 is the only system Sony released that changed that... (the mobile market has had stronger hardware, there is also stronger hardware than the vita in devices coming out this year) I don't think Sony believes that to be successful, you need the best hardware, they know that it comes down to the games, which is how they have won those previous generations, through massive 3rd party support, and that doesn't mean the most powerful box, or history would look QUITE different.
PSX and PS2 got outdated by hardware that came out much later, that's hardly the same thing. They were both cutting edge the day they came out.

Sony might have an advantage with what you're saying if they were coming out this year, but they aren't.

There is alot of Historical revisionism in this post.

ps1 & ps2 were the least or one of the weakest systems in their generation because they released earlier than the competition, PS3 was the only system that changed that. Yet was still roughly identical to the 360 in power despite coming out a year later.

As much as people want to pretend otherwise, nothing has changed in the past 16 years with Sony's approach to consoles besides adding blu ray. And it probably won't change in the foreseeable future.

z0m3le

Banned
PSX and PS2 got outdated by hardware that came out much later, that's hardly the same thing. They were both cutting edge the day they came out.

Sony might have an advantage with what you're saying if they were coming out this year, but they aren't.

To make that statement true, all they would have to do is beat out the Wii U, which is likely to be the most powerful console released so far (it is something like 8 years newer, so this isn't really a surprise) They plan to release before Microsoft, which should tell you that they aren't going to push tech as hard as Microsoft might.

The PS2 wasn't out years before the GCN and Xbox, yet Xbox was roughly twice as powerful, making the PS2 hardly cutting edge if you actually look at how the tech of the time grew.

To make that statement true, all they would have to do is beat out the Wii U, which is likely to be the most powerful console released so far (it is something like 8 years newer, so this isn't really a surprise) They plan to release before Microsoft, which should tell you that they aren't going to push tech as hard as Microsoft might.

The hell? That doesn't tell us anything, at all. Was sony not pushing tech as hard as Nintendo when they released the ps3 before the wii? Planning to release before microsoft could very well be a few weeks apart. 360 releasing a year before the ps3 hardly made a difference tech wise.

Seems what you WANT to happen, and what actually will happen don't correlate.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

Let's do a little thought experiment.

Which of the three console of this generation has made the most money for the creators this generation?

Which has made the least?

So which, by the single measure of 'success' that companies care about, is the most successful?

So why are you blithely assuming that success = most powerful?

The PS2 wasn't out years before the GCN and Xbox, yet Xbox was roughly twice as powerful, making the PS2 hardly cutting edge if you actually look at how the tech of the time grew.
Uh yes it was. PS2 came out March 2000. Xbox came out November 2001. Just a few months shy of two years.

At that time hardware was growing extremely fast. PS2 hardware was finalised just before some major shifts in hardware utilising shaders and lighting were made which Xbox and Gamecube's hardware took advantage of.

z0m3le

Banned
The hell? That doesn't tell us anything, at all. Was sony not pushing tech as hard as Nintendo when they released the ps3 before the wii? Planning to release before microsoft could very well be a few weeks apart. 360 releasing a year before the ps3 hardly made a difference tech wise.

Seems what you WANT to happen, and what actually will happen don't correlate.

What I "want" to happen, is what this rumor points too, for instance that quad core is single threaded (all AMD cores are) meaning that both Wii U and 720 will have extra threads... There is plenty of reason to assume Sony isn't going cutting edge, so I am not sure why you know the future, when this thread doesn't support your assumptions.

Top Bottom