• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN, tomb raider ps3 vs ps4 comparison video

Jedi2016

Oh, I see. So because different markets tend to result in different price points, somehow there's less merit to porting last gen games to current gen consoles? And because the PC already has plenty of video games, and current gen consoles do not, that means there's less reason for such efforts?
This isn't about PC, it's about releasing the same game again, with only a few half-assed graphical tweaks, at full price.

This is not a next-gen game, and it never will be, no matter how much they try to tell us otherwise.

We've already played these games. I don't want the whole of last-gen all over again, thanks. Why not give us new games instead of, especially in this case, just making the same game over and over and over and over again. Fuck this. I won't be buying any of these so-called "Definitive Editions".

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Oh, I see. So because different markets tend to result in different price points, somehow there's less merit to porting last gen games to current gen consoles? And because the PC already has plenty of video games, and current gen consoles do not, that means there's less reason for such efforts?

Or are you actually arguing the opposite of what I think you're trying to?

The point is not that they shouldn't port last gen games to new consoles but that they should price them appropriately and not drop it in a period where gamers are starving for something to play.

You can port a 360/PS3 game to XBO/PS4 and not do it as a gigantic "fuck you" to consumers.

The point is not that they shouldn't port last gen games to new consoles but that they should price them appropriately and not drop it in a period where gamers are starving for something to play.

You can port a 360/PS3 game to XBO/PS4 and not do it as a gigantic "fuck you" to consumers.

What does it matter when it drops? I understand the price, especially given how I've waited this long in putting off buying the original game, but I don't get why the timing is so offensive when otherwise there wouldn't be anything in that spot for that system.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
PS4 version is noticeably better. More textures, details and appears sharper. Looks like they did a pretty good job improving it for next-gen rather than just a few minor updates.

Nerokis

This isn't about PC, it's about releasing the same game again, with only a few half-assed graphical tweaks, at full price.

This is not a next-gen game, and it never will be, no matter how much they try to tell us otherwise.

We've already played these games. I don't want the whole of last-gen all over again, thanks. Why not give us new games instead of, especially in this case, just making the same game over and over and over and over again. Fuck this. I won't be buying any of these so-called "Definitive Editions".

You're exaggerating, but either way, it probably has something to do with the following: there's an audience for it, there's something to be said about a game being playable on the console you'll be primarily using for the next half a decade, and games aren't made in a vacuum totally free of any financial considerations. It's probably much easier to invest lot in a game if you can justify doing so financially, and things like this TR: DV represent one of the healthiest, most win-win ways of doing so. If what you'd like is for this particular developer to be making a new Tomb Raider game, this port isn't keeping them from doing that. Actually, it's exactly the opposite.

You're very arbitrarily deciding the effort put into it is "half-assed," by the way.

One doesn't at all follow from the other.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
What does it matter when it drops? I understand the price, especially given how I've waited this long in putting off buying the original game, but I don't get why the timing is so offensive when otherwise there wouldn't be anything in that spot for that system.

It's the combination of the two. They wouldn't be charging $60 for this if it were being released when a lot of other software is hitting stores.

Nerokis said:
One doesn't at all follow from the other.

lol are you really trying to make it sound like they're doing gamers a favor?

I hope we will see the new model on PC.

30fps for a old gen game is a joke (don't care about the hair)

the hair is the difference between ultra graphics at 30+ and ultra at 15 fps so I guess they didn't spend much time optimising because it's a quick port for easy cash.

gioGAF

I don't understand the hate for this "definitive edition". If you don't see the value in it, then don't buy it! Very simple really.

I certainly wouldn't mind "definitive editions" of games from last gen (crosses fingers for Demon's Souls "Definitive Edition").

the hair is the difference between ultra graphics at 30+ and ultra at 15 fps so I guess they didn't spend much time optimising because it's a quick port for easy cash.
Which makes me wonder whether this version will be actually have rock solid 30fps or not. I had to put some tweaks in on PC to get a smooth experience and that was without the hair physics.

RedAssedApe

Banned
We've had GOTY editions being released all the time a year from or less than a year from original release.

Batman
Uncharted 2/3
Borderlands

To name a few off the top of my head. Not sure about the price points but most of those didn't require any extra work on the part of the developers. So the pricing kind of (not saying I like it) makes sense if they had to do extra work to port the game instead of just repackage.

But like many have pointed out...if you don't like the price point DO NOT BUY IT AT LAUNCH. Its not that hard to vote with your dollars guys. Some of you act like this PS4 "game drought" is like you wandering the desert without water and that you must buy this game or you will die from thirst. smh

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
By far the narrowest generational shift we've had. Most people will have to make a pretty close comparison to make out the difference. Most people will probably not care once all is said and done.

MaLDo

I will say again that the sss is a great addition to Lara skin, but what happened with tessellation in characters and objects? (in hair?)

trde01.png

trde02.png

They're working on a sequel right now. This game was actually the kind of project they farm off to a small internal team to help get up to speed working on these new consoles.

So it's a learning experience as well as an opportunity to offer the original game on the new consoles.

This is not keeping you from getting the sequel, and I'd bet it's out next year sometime.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Which makes me wonder whether this version will be actually have rock solid 30fps or not. I had to put some tweaks in on PC to get a smooth experience and that was without the hair physics.

A locked 30fps may be possible on the PS4.

Xbox One with TressFX? I can't imagine...but we'll see.

Tagyhag

Aside from Lara, I really love all the little additions, would be an absolute shame if they couldn't hit 60fps locked.

But as I keep on saying, they're only charging $60 because they know early adopters are starving for games and I don't believe that's right.

Good cross gen port, but I'm not fond of the price at all.

I don't understand the hate for this "definitive edition". If you don't see the value in it, then don't buy it! Very simple really.

I certainly wouldn't mind "definitive editions" of games from last gen (crosses fingers for Demon's Souls "Definitive Edition").

I agree. I have no idea what the problem is. You don`t like? Don`t buy! It´s that easy.

It's ridiculous all that bitching.

I will say again that the sss is a great addition to Lara skin, but what happened with tessellation in characters and objects? (in hair?)
Looks like they're not doing tessellation. If that's the case, the PC version still has a significant advantage there.

MaLDo

Looks like they're not doing tessellation. If that's the case, the PC version still has a significant advantage there.

There are a ton of tessellated objects and rocks in TR PC. I wonder what will happen to them if they don't put tessellation in the main character. And why they claim that increased polycount. Or that cinematic DOF is a new added feature when it's crearly visible in my pc screenshot above (blurred Lara's hand).

SmokyDave

Really looking forward to this. So glad I didn't get around to playing it before.

I hope this bombs so everyone just doesn't start up ressing their ps3/360 games for a quick buck.
I hope this game does well so everyone jumps on the train and my PS4 library explodes.

velociraptor

Really looking forward to this. So glad I didn't get around to playing it before.

I hope this game does well so everyone jumps on the train and my PS4 library explodes.

I couldn't care less about 99% of multiplatform games but I would like Dark Souls II, The Last Of Us and God of War 3 on the PS4. Those games deserve to be on a new system.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I noticed people saying full priced game a lot, but who's charging full price?
My preorder for this is £17 less then other PS4 games.

tmarques

Not sure why people are complaining about the price. The price of this one is going to collapse even faster than the original game's.

ViciousDS

Banned
Big price difference between the generations GotY editions

R9O4Zts.png

I wouldn't take this as GOTY pricing.....not even close when the company put work into the title and not reformatting a disc with no effort and bundled dlc for $30.

Remember next gen is a little dry they are trying to capitalize on the market. If no one bites the bait the price will drop fast.

Kysen

How come its only PS footage again? is it going to be like the Ass creed previews where they only show one version for "obvious" reasons.

bobot

Neo Member

This. My preorders 30 dollars aud (that's oceanic dollars. ) cheaper than a new release game here

Not impressed. These are mostly very minor changes to the graphics.

We have seen many PS4 games now at not one was truly impressive, like the first PS3/Xbox360 games had been. And I don't think we will get much better graphics on PS4 (or XOne) in the coming years. Both consoles are have a very PC-like architecture, there is no hidden power, like the PS3 got with its exotic CPU.

NahNever

Banned

Woah. Where from? Lowest I could find is £37 on amazon, and even that has now gone up to £45.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Amazing... This sentiment really couldn't be more backwards. It's not like this is entirely different from porting a game to PC, except that new console generations are much less of a routine thing. The capacity to breathe new life into a game through a legitimate porting effort should totally be part of any healthy business model, and there are so many games from the Wii/PS3/360 era that could probably use it (Lost Odyssey immediately comes to mind). Nothing good would come from this particular effort bombing, unless you're a big fan of mobile titles, game developers being hurt, and other things along these lines.

Also, Laura's new face is sort of interesting. I wonder if part of the motivation for it was to have something that clearly differentiates the Definitive version from other versions, since otherwise the next generation jump isn't very dramatic to most people's eyes.

Agreed, good points there.

dock

I wish every good 360/PS3 game from 2012/2011 was available on the PS4/XBO, running better. Price point doesn't matter, I just want games to have a longer shelf life, especially with the option of download purchases.

If someone picks up a PS4 in 2015 and wants to play this game, they ought to be able to.

How come its only PS footage again? is it going to be like the Ass creed previews where they only show one version for "obvious" reasons.

Probably. This seems to be a trend since the new consoles arrived. The PS4 version is shown. The XB1 version is not.

Takuan

NOTE: Youtube browser screencaps below, and not directly from the original source video and only @ browser-sized resolution.

New face model.

02hr.jpg

0l0i.jpg

Top looks quite different from the bottom; is that the old face? I like the face in the second screenshot.

Either way, I'll give it a shot at $20. Not a dime more.

Top Bottom