• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN, tomb raider ps3 vs ps4 comparison video

Matriox

I hope this bombs so everyone just doesn't start up ressing their ps3/360 games for a quick buck.

Or atleast NOT charge full price. I was genuinely interested in getting this for less than $40 (hadn't played it previously), but I will wait until it drops until I pick it up.

Edit: sheesh messed that one up twice. Fixed

I hope this bombs so everyone just doesn't start up ressing their ps3/360 games for a quick buck.

Any 360/PS3 games being ported to next gen consoles would already be underway. Those decisions have already been made, as the window for such ports is basically the first year on the next consoles. So if you don't see a game port announced in the next few months, chances are it's never coming to PS4/XB1.

Melchiah

Or atleast charge NOT full price. I was genuinely interested in getting this for less than $40 (hadn't played it previously), but I will wait until it drops until I pick it up.

Same here.

that too. You can get this game for as low as 10 if you had been looking.

30-40€ would have been perfectly reasonable for me, as I haven't played the original version. Now, I'll either wait for a price drop, or pass on it completely, if it stays at 60€ for long.

iy2u.jpg

New Lara looks gorgeous. From what I saw in the IGN video, the PS4 version looks nice, not near as nice as it would be if it was made solely for PS4/XBO, but a step up from COD: Ghosts. Which I thought was a marked improvement over the last-gen versions because of the consistency of the 1080p image (frame refresh problems aside). Some of that TR PS3 footage looked kind of gritty, and I would much rather play through this version if I was going to replay the game.

Not paying sixty dollars for it though. I could reason with a forty dollar price tag, since I only payed twenty dollars for the PS3 version, and that would amount to the sixty dollar asking price if I would've bought it on day one. And I know I would've been satisfied with that purchase, so in my head it's not that bad. Full price though, naw.

From a business perspective, this makes sense. I'm sure that there was a good case made for pricing it at $60: They probably looked at the 'next gen' market and realized there was a lack of AAA software available to new console owners. There are also gamers like myself who haven't experienced the game on any platform (surprise!!). Add in the fact that it looks as if significant effort went into the port and it doesn't seem outrageous. I don't think their primary target is would-be double-dippers.

Salz01

I'm not even sure why they are making this. Why not just put in the effort into making a new game that fits on next gen. Well unless you want to do a quick cash grab to fund your next game. I think I just answered my own question.

CalebW

Banned
I'm not even sure why they are making this. Why not just put in the effort into making a new game that fits on next gen. Well unless you want to do a quick cash grab to fund your next game. I think I just answered my own question.

The interns need to do more than fetch coffee.

iammeiam

It's worth noting, I think, that most if not all of the upgrades will almost certainly be used in the next game. This gives them a way to get paid while getting the hang of next gen development. Lara 2.1 had the most obvious upgrades because all work on Lara 2.1 can be directly used in the sequel.

Basically I think the vast majority of the effort here is going towards things that will benefit the sequel; somebody realized they could do a little more work and cash in.

Looks really good, The difference in her face is night & day, Her current one looks awfull in comparison. I didn't bother with the current gen version in truth, But i'll pick this up as not a lot else to choose from yet for the ps4 and can sell it on after completion.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
TressFX is the ugliest thing that happened to hairs in video games.

in screenshots it look ugly and like steel wire ropes and in motion it just wrong and hair move completely wrong all the time like a squad of crazy snakes on Lara's head trying to attack eachother. this crappy tech might be good if someone decided to make Medusa the video game.

Ragnarok

in screenshots it look ugly and like steel wire ropes and in motion it just wrong and hair move completely wrong all the time like a squad of crazy snakes on Lara's head trying to attack eachother. this crappy tech might be good if someone decided to make Medusa the video game.

Wow hyperbole much?

Nethaniah

I thought it looked pretty bad as well until i turned it off and saw the original hair behave just as bad, said to myself ''might as well have it on''.

SkylineRKR

I bought Injustice for 39 a few weeks ago so if thats any indication the price of TR might drop after a month or so as well.

I would want this game, but not for 60.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Visual update is really noticeable in parts of the vid and in others I had to watch a few times to really catch what was being discussed. Regardless, the lighting, physics, and texture adjustments on Lara look great. Looking forward to revisiting the game, a shame at full price.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Any 360/PS3 games being ported to next gen consoles would already be underway. Those decisions have already been made, as the window for such ports is basically the first year on the next consoles. So if you don't see a game port announced in the next few months, chances are it's never coming to PS4/XB1.
Some ports could be saved for closer to release of sequels in order to build up hype.

Seems very similar to last gen plus some pretty particle effects. The thing with the "faking" they do is that they're good at it, so restoring textures or pushing out level of detail doesn't actually have that much of an impact. You'd need to re-architect the game and create new assets to get dat true next gen feel, which isn't going to happen on a cross gen port.

RiZ III

The new model for Lara looks really good and it looks like they're adding more than most developers add in when porting an old game to next gen. That said, the original game already looked fantastic even on PS3/360, so I can't imagine buying this again. If it eventually becomes free on PS+, I would definitely try it.

Newboi

I'm not sure if anyone noticed, but the revised PS4 model for Laura looks a lot more like the CG Laura model from the intro CG cutscene of the ship being torn apart.

This might be what the developers intended Laura to look like in the first place.

Either way, I'm in the crowd that has played it on the PC, but I can definitely see the value proposition for people who haven't played the previous-gen version. This is a substantial upgrade and the definitive version compared to the PS3 and 360 versions.

I do hope that the team can reach 60fps with this edition though as playing the game at 60fps with everything maxed out and tressfx on on PC is marvelous.

Timeaisis

Looks nice on PS4. Haven't played Tomb Raider yet, but the $60 price seems a little steep for a re-release. Might pick this up when it's reduced, eventually.

Subaru

If you're so hung up on 60fps just stick with PC. If these consoles had 3tf GPUs we'd be having just more bells and whistles at 30fps.

It's not about power, it's about making choices.
They prefer hair. I prefer 60 fps. It's simple.

I bet that if the hair wasn't made with tressfx we would see a 60fps game on XBO/PS4

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I hope that for the PS4 version there is the deal where if you got the game on PS3, its $10 for the next gen version.

That I wouldnt mind at all.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It's not about power, it's about making choices.
They prefer hair. I prefer 60 fps. It's simple.

I bet that if the hair wasn't made with tressfx we would see a 60fps game on XBO/PS4
Haha its kinda hard to sell 60fps to people who can't tell the difference
And ya probably right too about tressfx, afterall the next Tomb Raider is likely to be way beyond what we're seeing with this version
And will have more impressive hair too, not too sure about 60fps thou
But ya right, it's not like they're pushing the nextgen console's at the moment so why not 60fps, unless they don't see it as important.

Side by side I can see a difference but not enough to warranty double dipping.

The tressfx hair looks worse to me, it's actually quite distracting.

I agree and for a few reasons. It doesn't flow around her shoulders right and and it's often lit weirdly. The shadows from the hair are way too strong and blocky. It's the right direction to be moving in but it isn't quite ready yet. I imagine one day we'll have hair/fur like we saw on Sully in Monster's Inc but in real time but what's in Tomb Raider right now just isn't even close.

thatJohann

The game looks gorgeous and it's a day one for me as it was one of my favorite games on ps3.

That being said, why is her tressfx hair black and not brown?

SHzuJYN.jpg

Moofers

I have this pre-ordered on Amazon and am starting to think the negativity in this thread may be some foreshadowing of a price drop a month later. The fact that its a PS4 game makes me think it won't drop for a while though, and I want to play it now.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I have this pre-ordered on Amazon and am starting to think the negativity in this thread may be some foreshadowing of a price drop a month later. The fact that its a PS4 game makes me think it won't drop for a while though, and I want to play it now.

I dunno. gaf impressions are just as hit and miss for me as some gaming media reviews. I don't really think they are the target audience for re-releases/GOTY editions since many if not most of us have already played this game a year ago. :)

Also certain launch titles have already seen $10-20 deal of the week price drops so I wouldn't be surprised if Tomb Raider got one even if it sells well the first week.

X-Factor

NOTE: Youtube browser screencaps below, and not directly from the original source video and only @ browser-sized resolution.

New face model.

02hr.jpg

0l0i.jpg

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I dont think that follows.

Don't think "cross gen". Think "HD remaster".

I have no doubt we'll see PS360 ports coming to PS4/Xbone throughout the generation.

Nerokis

Amazing... This sentiment really couldn't be more backwards. It's not like this is entirely different from porting a game to PC, except that new console generations are much less of a routine thing. The capacity to breathe new life into a game through a legitimate porting effort should totally be part of any healthy business model, and there are so many games from the Wii/PS3/360 era that could probably use it (Lost Odyssey immediately comes to mind). Nothing good would come from this particular effort bombing, unless you're a big fan of mobile titles, game developers being hurt, and other things along these lines.

Also, Laura's new face is sort of interesting. I wonder if part of the motivation for it was to have something that clearly differentiates the Definitive version from other versions, since otherwise the next generation jump isn't very dramatic to most people's eyes.

jamsy

New Lara model looks great, but to be honest, I didn't see any significant differences elsewhere.

I mean, maybe they are there, but it's very subtle stuff for the most part. Also, I wish they actually added stuff - at the very least maybe a few extra tombs and a new weapon or two - instead of particles you may or may not notice. Also, as much as I loved the game, even if I had a next-gen system, I wouldn't really be interested - don't have time to replay games nowadays.

Amazing... This sentiment really couldn't be more backwards. It's not like this is entirely different from porting a game to PC, except that new console generations are much less of a routine thing. The capacity to breathe new life into a game through a legitimate porting effort should totally be part of any healthy business model, and there are so many games from the Wii/PS3/360 era that could probably use it (Lost Odyssey immediately comes to mind). Nothing good would come from this particular effort bombing, unless you're a big fan of mobile titles, game developers being hurt, and other things along these lines.

Also, Laura's new face is sort of interesting. I wonder if part of the motivation for it was to have something that clearly differentiates the Definitive version from other versions, since otherwise the next generation jump isn't very dramatic to most people's eyes.

yup. agreed.

Nerokis

It's entirely different for a gazillion reasons but most importantly because late PC ports aren't full price and the platform doesn't suffer from software droughts.

Oh, I see. So because different markets tend to result in different price points, somehow there's less merit to porting last gen games to current gen consoles? And because the PC already has plenty of video games, and current gen consoles do not, that means there's less reason for such efforts?

Or are you actually arguing the opposite of what I think you're trying to?

Top Bottom