• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN, tomb raider ps3 vs ps4 comparison video

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
I've been watching a few 1080p vids of PC on Max settings, and I'm not convinced it looks better than this. It shouldn't be full price though.

Have it on preorder for £37, and have never played it, but there's too many current and past gen games to complete, so will have to pass on this.

I actually don't think the price is that bad, but there should be an upgrade option for PS3 owners.

Qassim

Hopefully there is a demo of some kind. I have already played it through on Ultra+TessFx on PC @1080p60, but I'd like to see the differences for myself on the console.

I suspect they have prettied up some things on an asset and effects level that weren't in the PC version at the time.

Kysen

These devs just don't get it, why waste all the additional hardware on minor visual details and a resolution bump. When they could have doubled the framerate and kept it 720p instead. Its basically the same game and not worth the $60. Glad I bought this for PC the first time around.

These devs just don't get it, why waste all the additional hardware on minor visual details and a resolution bump. When they could have doubled the framerate and kept it 720p instead. Its basically the same game and not worth the $60. Glad I bought this for PC the first time around.

After playing Assassins Creed on PS3 and PS4, I would MUCH rather have the 1080P resolution - it makes a huge difference!

I would not be able to go down to 720P on the PS4 now.

Dabanton

And yet again they ask us to have a look at the difference between versions and put up a compressed shitty video.

Even the '1080p' stream is shoddy.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So much hate on so many pages.

I will pick this up, it's pretty cheap here in sweden actually.
PS3 or 4 version?

IvorB

And yet again they ask us to have a look at the difference between versions and put up a compressed shitty video.

Even Digital Foundry uses YouTube for comparison videos. This is all so pointless really.

TheYanger

Is it as good as comparing them in person? No. But it's really apparent how big the difference is anyway. Such strong hyperbole here.

I feel I'm in a good position for this. Played only 2 hrs of the PS3 version and I've been hearing nothing but good things since GOTY discussions. I'm starving for PS4 content too.

Dunno about full price though........ I can wait.

I could see this selling well just because it came out at the right time. People want something to play on their PS4.

Mocca-Bear

Neo Member
Really wonder if this version is going to sell, this could be a pretty important release in determining what the "correct" price point is for other re-releases in the future. Here at least 60 bucks seems to be a bit on the hefty side, but I wonder what the general consensus will be once the game is on shelves...

That said I would pay top bucks for an Alan Wake re-release on PS4. A man dreams...

spekkeh

Banned
Really not feeling that new face.

The old one had more character. This new one just looks like standard supermodel X.

I think supermodels need more protecting.

Anyway, I like new Lara but apart from that it looks like they just increased the contrast mostly. The game was designed around not needing huge accurate draw distances, so its addition is pretty inconsequential. More particles, meh.

I just wish they'd hurry up with the new game.

puzl

Banned
If only the framerate was per-dollar.

I love the game, but couldn't forgive myself to pay full-price for half (or rather, 1/4 since I got my 780) the framerate I get on full with the PC... and don't kid yourself, this is going to be 30fps people.

spekkeh

Banned
I never bought the last gen version of the game. I'd be interested in this version since to me, it's obvious that the next-gen port looks more detailed and beautiful. However, that $60 price tag does NOT look appealing whatsoever. I've seen the Xbox 360 version go up on sale for $10, brand new. I am going to wait for a price drop, personally.

It is worth the full price though. It's a fantastic game I thought. Very Hollywood blockbuster of course, but that sometimes makes it easier to justify full price. I don't think you'll feel cheated if it's the first time you play it. Then again, it's quite possible the price will drop off shortly after, so waiting is not a bad idea either.

Jack cw

If only the framerate was per-dollar.

I love the game, but couldn't forgive myself to pay full-price for half (or rather, 1/4 since I got my 780) the framerate I get on full with the PC... and don't kid yourself, this is going to be 30fps people.
Regardless of the price, a locked 30fps on this game on a console would be great. It helped AC Black Flag so much to be actually enjoyable.

R_Deckard

Even Digital Foundry uses YouTube for comparison videos. This is all so pointless really.

YT can go higher which Is what i cannot understand, I render all my YT videos at 4K and this gives you a really good Bitrate and thus a clean and much Nearer the Original 1080P seen on PC/Console...For Square and DF not to be doing this is ridiculous..

PBY

Banned
Just watched the footage on my mobile screen and my God does it look beautiful! I dunno if the small screen does all the beauty, but isn't this the prettiest looking game next-gen so far? In this genre, at least?

Laras model is WOW.

This is definitely not the prettiest next gen game. Lara looks good, but the environments look decidedly last-gen.

JawzPause

disparity between consoles maybe? just a wild guess
I don't think we'll see any games where the frame rate is 60fps on one and 30fps on the other. Although it'll be very interesting to see the reaction if this is the case. I'm sure MS wouldn't be too happy about it.

Griss

Well, I was impressed, anyway. Never played it before, so now might be a good time. There are a bunch of games I've held off on in the hope that they'd get this treatment. GTA5 is the big one, though. The difference between AC4 on the PS3 and PS4 was simply huge - to me (a guy without a PC) anyway. I imagine this will be similar.

I preferred Lara's old face, but I think the new one is probably more suited to her character, if that makes sense.

Respawn

Banned

Nope. TR at 30fps will do. Don't want some pixelated upscale mess on my HD set.

puzl

Banned
Regardless of the price, a locked 30fps on this game on a console would be great. It helped AC Black Flag so much to be actually enjoyable.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but i'd genuinely prefer an unlocked framerate (say between 30-45fps, which I imagine is all the PS4 could muster) with triple-buffered vsync to prevent tearing. It'll be even better once GSYNC/FREESYNC comes around.

I can see the appeal of a locked framerate, but for me, if I can get higher frames, I'll take em. Just as long as it doesn't drop below the 30fps minimum threshold that is.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
rather tempting
expecting it to be lower a few weeks after release
Tempting indeed... I need a new PS4 game, man :(

Might pick up when it's 9.99
I loved it last year, but the price they're charging for this is just a joke and they won't be rewarded by me for such a scam. Current gen is just a cashgrab at the moment, especially here in the UK.

Might pick up when it's 9.99
I loved it last year, but the price they're charging for this is just a joke and they won't be rewarded by me for such a scam. Current gen is just a cashgrab at the moment, especially here in the UK.

Yep, they are charging a lot of money.

If it were not for that great PS3 Assassins Creed 4 deal, and PS4 upgrade, I would not have got it. Seriously impressed with it though!

Cannot wait to play titles like Infamous and Driveclub.

TheZjman

Banned
Missed this last year so wanted to get the XB1 version.

Discovered it's full price.

I can justify Wind Waker because at least it improved the game(i never played the original of that either) but £50 for a graphical update? That really sucks, Squeenix.

Alienous

Missed this last year so wanted to get the XB1 version.

Discovered it's full price.

I can justify Wind Waker because at least it improved the game(i never played the original of that either) but £50 for a graphical update? That really sucks, Squeenix.

Wind Waker is as bad.

Top Bottom