• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN, tomb raider ps3 vs ps4 comparison video

I mean it looks fine.

Just not $60 fine. Maybe at $29.99 like a Platinum Collection game or something. I respect the work and effort, but...nah.

Roo

Yeah I noticed as well...it almost looks like they just Xbone'd it a little bit with the contrast. It makes some shit stand out more but it doesn't actually look better. But who knows, that could be because of how the video was captured. Also IGN's video compression is terrible. It will look much clearer on your home tv.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now but I'm definitely waiting for a price drop.
$30 at most.

Codeblew

Surely the next-gen consoles could handle this model in the game? They should just use this model in the sequel. It's perfection (Done by Square Enix's FF Visual Works studio)

untitled-29zcx9.jpg

Looks good but getting a bit of an Uncanny Valley feeling if I stare at the eyes too long.
Next gen pro tip: If they don't mention a framerate it's 30 or lower. If they don't mention a resolution it's 720p. Mayyyyyyyybe 900p, but in general I think Ryse/BF4-ps4 took the sting out of 900p.

Also, I played this on the PC on ultra. I'm not going to say this looks better, as the framerate and other textures look lower, but the new effects look cool.

Not buying for $60. They are insane. And i'm one of the people around here that loved it on the PC.

I disagree. 900p and especially 720p look like ass on 1080p native TV's.

MadSexual

It's definitely an improvement, but since I played this on PC, I'm actually really surprised to how well the original PS3 stacks up with the lighting and effects, even if they are mostly pre-baked. It's not as drastic an improvement as I expected to see.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Her model definitely got a sizable upgrade (technically - which version of Lara you actually think looks best is of course subjective), but other than that it seems pretty subtle. Small upgrades here and there which combine to make a whole that is absolutely nicer to look at, but nothing mindblowing. Which is to be expected of a cross-gen port. Kind of like AC4 PS3 --> PS4 (although this upgrade looks a bit bigger overall). The resolution bump will be nice as well, of course.

PBY

Banned
Her model definitely got a sizable upgrade (technically - which version of Lara you actually think looks best is of course subjective), but other than that it seems pretty subtle. Small upgrades here and there which combine to make a whole that is absolutely nicer to look at, but nothing mindblowing. Which is to be expected of a cross-gen port. Kind of like AC4 PS3 --> PS4 (although this upgrade looks a bit bigger overall). The resolution bump will be nice as well, of course.
Based on that vid I think asscreed looks better.
Dat water

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Yeah I don't care what they say; they are insane to sell this version for $60.

They should have locked in 1080p60fps while keeping it looking as good as possible and charge $30, imo. At least with 60fps the game would feel drastically different to people who played it on console previously.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Based on that vid I think asscreed looks better.
Dat water

Yeah, some things in AC4 (like, yes, dat water) do look better, but the character models definitely don't. Those look decidedly last-gen in AC4, just with a bit better textures. Lara's new model here is far superior. So, yeah, it kind of feels like what we've got here is a next-gen character model (although I don't think this is the best they could possibly do on these consoles) in a cross-gen port.

Wonko_C

If I'm playing this on PC... Any guesstimates of what settings should I set it to match the PS3/360 versions, and which should I use to match PS4/Xbone? (Especially the "Level of Detail" one since that's the one that tends be the one that stresses the PC more)

Codeblew

Not for me; actually this face model looks a lot like someone I know, especially the eyes and eyebrows. They are almost exactly like this.

It is a beautiful model but I dunno something just looks odd to me but I can't put my finger on it. Maybe I have been staring at it too long. heh.

UnrealEck

1080p video of definitive vs PC maxed plz.

Oh and turn the contrast down slightly on PC for that definitive edition lighting.

Injustice did the same and no one batted an eye.

Did they? Don't play fighting games, so i wasn't aware. That's awful too. It's just a cheap cash grab by developers.

60 bucks for some extra eye candy and multiplayer DLC for a multiplayer nobody liked, is awful.

PC version is the "definitive" version and you can buy it for 5-10 bucks on a Steam sale. I look forward to seeing the comparisons between the PC version and the "definitive" version.

really curious why they chose tomb raider over say sleeping dogs definite edition, a game that has a bunch of dlc and also looks quite 'next gen' at times on pc. Just a bit more texture polish would have made a more compelling $60 'remaster' imo...

MilkBeard

It is a beautiful model but I dunno something just looks odd to me but I can't put my finger on it. Maybe I have been staring at it too long. heh.

Yeah there is something about the skin tone I think, it's like one of those really accurate looking wax models or something, where the skin looks kind of hollow.

Still, I think it's better than what we've gotten yet.

Toa TAK

Banned
Surely the next-gen consoles could handle this model in the game? They should just use this model in the sequel. It's perfection (Done by Square Enix's FF Visual Works studio)

untitled-29zcx9.jpg

I feel that would be pretty pathetic if we don't get models looking this good by the end of this generation.

There is a difference between the two editions, but I don't see myself justifying a double dip purchase when nothing else has been added to the Single Player's open world. Plus, I dig the old face better (or hell, get us the one above SE). And the multiplayer is still in.

I really like Tomb Raider, but I'm gonna hold out for the sequel instead.

Pretty interesting to see the $60 flip out considering this will most definitely drop to $40 two months after launch and even more so thereafter. Don't see how this is any different than ultimate/goty editions for other games.

Not feeling it at all. Definitely not enough to justify this game's existence, especially with the PC version out there.

I played the crap out of it on 360 but I would have a hard time dropping $20 on this, let alone full price.

Grisby

Wasn;t a fan of her new look when it was revealed but I'm liking it more in new shots.

I might check this out for 40. I've been meaning to replay it.

Milennia

Ill buy this after a price drop to 40$, i already double dipped due to a psn sale, not paying 60$.

It does look great imo, so im looking forward to picking it up.

quaide

Banned
The game was good. Even though it stole a lot from Uncharted. I personally liked the combat/shooting in TR more than Uncharted. I played it on PC so I know how good this can look.

Good for them. But I think asking full price is criminal.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Watched the video again. Face looks good to me.

It definitely looks better in a more natural lighting. The previous main face shot made her skin color look way too orangeish.

Going from the footage, don't think I can justify the double dip from PC, though. :/

KingJ2002

if i never played it on 360 i would bite... but it's tough,... the novelty of better graphics wears off after the first section... then it's the same game at 40 bucks wasted.

ill wait for the REAL next gen lara croft game

TheJLC

So what if I'm a first time buyer? Is it worth the $60? I ask this as many people are saying they are not buying a second time at $60 as it's not worth it.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
So what if I'm a first time buyer? Is it worth the $60? I ask this as many people are saying they are not buying a second time at $60 as it's not worth it.

Depends on how much you can stomach lame cutscenes, boring scripted sequences and QTEs. If that's your thing...well, you might like the game.

No late port is worth $60 though.

nubbe

It is a well made and fun cinematic take on tomb raider.
But it has almost no replay value since it is pretty linear QTE game

RedAssedApe

Banned

I don't think most people would pay full price for a double-dip. That being said...a lot of people complain about paying full price even for new releases. :p

If you like Uncharted you will like this game.

Top Bottom