• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN, tomb raider ps3 vs ps4 comparison video

Um that is a huge difference. Image on the right looks human, the one on the left doesn't.

Glad I missed this on the ps3.

Glad someone else in this thread has decent eyesight. Saying it doesn't look $60 good is a perfectly reasonable reason not to buy this, but saying it doesn't really look much better than previous gen (consoles) makes me think you need an eye exam. :)

It seems all the focus went to Lara and graphics. I would have liked some new tombs, that would be the only reason I would justify double dipping.

It really would've been great if they could have made another half-dozen or so. That really would have put this version over the top, IMO.

webkatt

I just want to know the framerate...

Why is it so hard to get a solid answer on this 2 weeks before release? :(

Also, it might be telling that they are using the PS4 version to showcase the game everywhere.

That basically confirms it is not 60FS.

Most likely locked 30.

benzy

They definitely fixed up her face a bit since the next-gen reveal trailer. She looks a little closer to new CG Lara now, and a lot closer compared to the last-gen model. Still not exactly the same and as good as the CG modeling, and also not worth $60 when everything else is basically the same.

untitled-7kje6s.jpg

untitled-103gd6l.jpg

untitled-9h7cfh.jpg

untitled-8wxda0.jpg

untitled-29zcx9.jpg

Melchiah

I skipped the PS3 version, so I might pick this up when it's 40€ or below, unless there's something more interesting available by that time. Definitely won't be buying a next gen version of an old game at day one price.

ZSeba

I just want to know the framerate...

Why is it so hard to get a solid answer on this 2 weeks before release? :(

Also, it might be telling that they are using the PS4 version to showcase the game everywhere.

because it's 30 fps of course.

benzy

Wow, that looks terrible. The new one is much better but she still looks like a barbie doll.

Surely the next-gen consoles could handle this model in the game? They should just use this model in the sequel. It's perfection (Done by Square Enix's FF Visual Works studio)

untitled-29zcx9.jpg

Lara's new face is SO MUCH better. Her old face couldn't display any emotion but this one puppy-dog, woe-is-me, protect-me-pls expression that got so grating before the end of the game. New Lara looks like an actual person.

REV 09

environment looks nice, but Lara looks worse. She looks like a doll now due to the face changes and her skin tone is too red.

RELIGHT

Banned
Thanks for this.

I think I'll pick it up for PS4. You made sure to articulate your critiques and I appreciate it.

Side note: not toward the poster I responded to.

When will threads involving PS4/XBone games and graphics stop becoming PC evangelist shitfests?!?!

If I wanted a PC for gaming, I'd get one. I don't care if the fancy whiz-bang 4000 can run at ultramax settings and a steady 1,202,048 FPS. It has nothing to do with the topic. I don't get how that irrelevant discussion/latent port begging hasn't been more banworthy?

I don't trounce into 3DS topics or Vita topics trumpeting vice versa or WiiU, PS4, etc....

Edit: in the context of the video, the game looks better than the PS3 comparison. I'm pleased, Lara no longer looks like an automaton.

damn-o.gif

TyrantII

They definitely fixed up her face a bit since the next-gen reveal trailer. She looks a little closer to new CG Lara now, and a lot closer compared to the last-gen model. Still not exactly the same and as good as the CG modeling, and also not worth $60 when everything else is basically the same.

untitled-7kje6s.jpg

untitled-103gd6l.jpg

untitled-9h7cfh.jpg

untitled-8wxda0.jpg

untitled-29zcx9.jpg

Don't forget IGN's crap videoplayer is terribly compressed. Youtube's bitrate starved videos are considered terrible and IGN is even worse.

You're really not seeing anywhere near the difference until a high-bitrate video is released without the crayon smear.

You can tell draw distances are much further, there's more assets and assets are much higher poly; but that's about it. The increased particle and texture work get lost in the compression.

I will get this when it's cheap (or free on ps+)
If that'd happen it would be just before Tomb Raider 2 hits.

Or maybe instead they'll make the multiplayer free. *snort*

Maybe I can be sold on the face if I could see more scenes with it animating. What little there was in the video looked all kinds of wrong, but they were only the briefest of snippets.

"Pores and bumps..."

I guess God of War III was next gen.
It was, and is.

Cartman86

Banned
lol the amount of times she looks like a different person between the CG trailer, original game, reveal for HD version, this footage is amazing. I like the new one in that it seems pretty expressive.

-Deimos

Totally unrelated but I just fired up the game and noticed v-sync was on, so I turned it to off and my fps went down by a few frames. I changed it to triple buffered and it went back up. Weird.

On-topic, I actually like the PC version of Lara better than both console versions. On PS3 it looks like crap and I'm not a fan of the new face and skin of the PS4 version. It's like there's a constant orange light being cast on her. Anyway, looking forward to the master-race edition which includes the CG model of Lara.

Drool.

where can I buy a $300 computer that can do that? seriously.

Where can I buy the 300 dollar upgrade for my ps3 to turn it into a ps4+++ which also still plays every single ps3 game I ever bought at better framerates , image quality and settings

These arguments always go round and round, go on move that goalpost you can reference the rebuttal from any older thread so you don't have to post it here

Bought my ps3 in october 2008 for 400 euros, my current pc in june 2009 for 600 euros and I'm just a 150 euro upgrade away from it matching a ps4 while retaining full BC, sadly there is no such option for my ps3 :\ (and if there was I'd now have to pay extra to play my games online, heyoo)

Shin-Ra

Lara's cheeks are a little strange, facelifty, even in the Visual Works render but the updated realtime head model looks a lot better.

IconGrist

I had this paid off for PS4 the second I had the funds for it. Not happy about having to do the multiplayer over again. That was one Platinum trophy I was extremely happy to be done with. Looks like more solo medpack deliveries. =/

The one on the right is noticeably better in pretty much every technical way.

Looks honestly like those old ATi-like demos with a vixen where you would say to yourself, "one day, graphics will look like that….someday"

Maybe I'm just feeling nice today, I dunno….

KAP151

Not blown way by any stretch.

Better textures and some nicer lighting and environment effects here and there, but that's about it.

Slightly upgraded cross-gen version of the game. It's about what I expected.

On a different note, I'm sure there's a comparison video behind all that compression. If they don't offer higher quality vids this gen, IGN's comparison videos are going to be pretty useless.

sn00zer

Square Enix release character skin DLC and color filter for $60

Sorry thats all I saw....plus some fog....this is really a smash and grabat $60

Not blown way by any stretch.

Better textures and some nicer lighting and environment effects here and there, but that's about it.
That's literally what the team set out to do, nothing more, nothing less. I think people are putting words into their mouth.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Did they really scale back the hair strands from the TressFX on PC?

Here's a shot I took a while back:
I thought so at first too, but there was some vs. PC thread few days ago where it seemed to look the same between the two trailer shots. They said they've changed how it animates in the new release though, suggesting an improvement.

I'm always baffled by the amount of hate this game gets.

I think it looks great, and the $60 price doesn't really bother me much.

It's a legitimately great playing game with an absurd setup/character/plot.
It was constantly at odds about what the piss it wanted to be. I found the plot so meaningless and characterization so, well, just dumb, that I couldn't even finish it.

…that being said, I did dig the hell out of the gameplay and could see myself give it another try…. but not for $60

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I remember really enjoying this game last year. Tempted to double dip since nothing of note is coming out until March.

Top Bottom