• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN, tomb raider ps3 vs ps4 comparison video

Those who are saying there isn't much of a difference surely aren't being serious. You can tell even by those images that Lara looks a lot better and you can see in the video the upgrade of textures, particles etc.

If you haven't played the game then I would suggest buying it on next gen.

Ahasverus

Did they really scale back the hair strands from the TressFX on PC?

Here's a shot I took a while back:

How much perfomance hit it took on your expensive video card? yeah. I'm impressed by the new tress fx, however I don't see a $60 improvement. The thing is, the original looked too good and unless extreme makeover is made it would be difficult to impress in new consoles, and hair is not going to make the trick.

Shin-Ra

Me too. With the first trailer for the ps4 version I hated her new face. The ps4 face looks so much better now.
I'm not convinced it's evolved since that debut trailer, just different angles, lighting and facial expressions portray the same model differently.

The fire-explosions still look low res and flat in the updated game, that could've done with some more attention.

Ysiadmihi

Banned

Whether he's joking or not, he's not entirely wrong. TressFX looks better than her normal hair in stills but during actual gameplay it looks so over-the-top cartooney to the point of being distracting.

If anything, it's no where near worth the framerate hit it causes.

Camilla Luddington master race.

I never got round to playing this on last gen (but did actually really want too). I could have picked it up by now, but figured I'd just wait for this new one!

Next gen pro tip: If they don't mention a framerate it's 30 or lower. If they don't mention a resolution it's 720p. Mayyyyyyyybe 900p, but in general I think Ryse/BF4-ps4 took the sting out of 900p.

Also, I played this on the PC on ultra. I'm not going to say this looks better, as the framerate and other textures look lower, but the new effects look cool.

Not buying for $60. They are insane. And i'm one of the people around here that loved it on the PC.

keuja

Surely the next-gen consoles could handle this model in the game? They should just use this model in the sequel. It's perfection (Done by Square Enix's FF Visual Works studio)

untitled-29zcx9.jpg

Is it modeled on a real person?

Harlequin

Surely the next-gen consoles could handle this model in the game? They should just use this model in the sequel. It's perfection (Done by Square Enix's FF Visual Works studio)

untitled-29zcx9.jpg

You're joking...right?

@keuja: Crystal say they used a multitude of references when they created Lara's face. This picture is of the Visual Works model which is, again different from Crystal's original face. Crystal sent Visual Works their Lara face and VW put their own spin on it, then Crystal liked some of the changes they did and implemented them into their ingame model.

I kinda see what he means. Her hair and her head appear to be separate entities. It's like someone standing in front of a green screen image. You can tell something is off.
Ehh, sorry, don't see it...it looks far superior to the last gen version. Each his own though!

frogg609

Whether he's joking or not, he's not entirely wrong. TressFX looks better than her normal hair in stills but during actual gameplay it looks so over-the-top cartooney to the point of being distracting.

If anything, it's no where near worth the framerate hit it causes.

I agree. Until they learn to make TressFX move hair naturally, and not like a separate breathing entity of it's own, it will look weird.

I think the PS4 edition looks good. Not 60 dollars good, especially with a lack of additional content or locked 60 GPS. If it had been more feature rich, I may have bought it. Guess I will stick with my pc version.

CalebW

Banned
Ehh, sorry, don't see it...it looks far superior to the last gen version. Each his own though!

What's funny is that when her hair glitches in the PC version, she's completely bald, which was a nice look too. Don't mistake me though, her 360/PS3 hair is much worse.

The improvement I like the most so far are her eyes. They look good.

MilkBeard

Compression is so bad in their video that I can't really tell much difference besides the hair, face, and lighting differences. I'm sure once you actually play you'd be able to notice the textures and other elements. But IGN should think about doing higher quality video at least for these graphical comparisons.

I can't see shit captain!

Harlequin

I am amazed that they spent years creating a new Lara and then started redesigning her face within months.

They didn't completely redesign the features by the looks of it. I'd say they tweaked it a bit. Whether those tweaks were for the better in terms of facial features is another question but the new face is not THAT different to the old one. I think the main difference beside the added detail are the eyes. They seem to have a different shape. Other than that the facial features mostly just seem slightly changed from the previous version instead of completely redesigned.

EDIT: As to TressFX: that technology is still in its early days. I'd rather have Crystal get more familiar with it while working on a relatively insignificant rerelease of an old game than have it look bad in the next pillar release. I'm sure once that comes around they'll have gotten it to look and move way better.

Roo

Lara's model looks great and all but the rest looks.. basically the same with deeper darks/higher contrast IMO.
Not impressed.

Darknight

Really not feeling that new face.

The old one had more character. This new one just looks like standard supermodel X.

Old model has dead eyes on her face/look.

New model may look like a super model but LC in general does so thats a mood point. They fixed the dead eye look, looks ok now. Still not worthy of $60.

Edit: Holy shit I dont know how you guys think this is better:
tumblr_mzddxlmEy81qi0854o4_500.gif

Terrible from the eyes to the hair that looks like it came out from a looney tunes cartoon.

MilkBeard

untitled-29zcx9.jpg

I wish we were to the point where we could get character models that looked that good. This is also, in my opinion, the best of the new Lara faces.

The Tress fx hair in the high end versions looks so...wirey.

benzy

You're joking...right?

@keuja: Crystal say they used a multitude of references when they created Lara's face. This picture is of the Visual Works model which is, again different from Crystal's original face. Crystal sent Visual Works their Lara face and VW put their own spin of it, then Crystal liked some of the changes they did and implemented them into their ingame model.

Why would I be joking? It looks a lot better than Crystal's Lara doll model. Surely they could use that model and scale it down a bit to work on the hardware.

looks pretty good, I missed PS3 version so I defs will buy :)

Sidenote: Lara's actor is really good looking in real life
look her up, name's Camilla Luddington

tressfx always did kill the immersive factor with how perfect shampoo commercial looking it looked.Kinda wish 2.0 could add more 'grime' somehow.

MilkBeard

Lara's model looks great and all but the rest looks.. basically the same with deeper darks/higher contrast IMO.
Not impressed.

Yeah I noticed as well...it almost looks like they just Xbone'd it a little bit with the contrast. It makes some shit stand out more but it doesn't actually look better. But who knows, that could be because of how the video was captured. Also IGN's video compression is terrible. It will look much clearer on your home tv.

The upgrade is substantial. If I hadn't already finished the game last year I'd be buying it. I might even buy it if it wasn't $60.

$30, $40 is much better for this type of experience.

And what's up with the PC Defense Force coming out to play on this one? It's not even available on PC. So... yeah.

MilkBeard

looks pretty good, I missed PS3 version so I defs will buy :)

Sidenote: Lara's actor is really good looking in real life
look her up, name's Camilla Luddington

Yeah, they should have just modeled her, because she's quite beautiful and could look the part too. But I guess there's a lot of potential issues that can happen when you do that (for example, the secret nude model in Beyond: Two Souls).

Harlequin

Why would I be joking? It looks a lot better than Crystal's Lara doll model. Surely they could use that model and scale it down a bit to work on the hardware.

I assumed you were joking because you left out the "and scale it down a bit" in your original post. And I'm pretty sure that that model would have to be downgraded significantly in order to work even on PS4/Xbone.

I wish we were to the point where we could get character models that looked that good. This is also, in my opinion, the best of the new Lara faces.

The Tress fx hair in the high end versions looks so...wirey.

They can look this good. It's just not worth the decrease in everything else and that face-model benefits from set hdri based lighting on a static mesh.

ramuh

The upgrade is substantial. If I hadn't already finished the game last year I'd be buying it. I might even buy it if it wasn't $60.

$30, $40 is much better for this type of experience.

I would recommend the full price game for the next-gen port for those that didn't play it before. It was a good game to me but I completed it already, so the full retail price has put me off.

MilkBeard

I assumed you were joking because you left out the "and scale it down a bit" in your original post. And I'm pretty sure that that model would have to be downgraded significantly in order to work even on PS4/Xbone.

yeah, that's next-next gen unfortunately. Unless they scale down the gameplay and size of the maps significantly.

benzy

Oh yeah, I wasn't expecting it to be exact with that kind of shader work and high poly, especially with all of that hair rendering. I'm talking more about what Nomura's team is trying to do with FFXV in having the in-game models match the CG. It'll be close enough even if not perfect, and that CG model is something they should be striving for in terms of looks and modeling facial features.

Nomura-Finaland-Interview-JE13.jpg

CalebW

Banned
Yeah, they should have just modeled her, because she's quite beautiful and could look the part too. But I guess there's a lot of potential issues that can happen when you do that (for example, the secret nude model in Beyond: Two Souls).

Well Camilla is definitely not shy about nudity. She bared it all a few times in Californication.

Top Bottom