• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm at a Japanese wedding and see this....

Status
Not open for further replies.

NukeLaser

I've been trying to stifle a laugh for the past twenty minutes.

I'm getting really strange looks on the bus.

"golden niggas", quote of the year

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Ya I always though Japan was super racist and xenophobic.

Thought they were mistrustful towards outsiders and disliked foreigners.

Xenophobia doesn't really imply racism. Ignorance and sometimes even insensitivity towards outsiders yeah, but mostly due to lack of influence. There is no outright want to hate though.

Xenophobia doesn't really imply racism. Ignorance and sometimes even insensitivity towards outsiders yeah, but mostly due to lack of influence. There is no outright want to hate though.

Yeah I'm getting "ignorance and insensitivity" vibes from this, not overt or intended racism.

Not all black people are "African American" (the OP isn't from the US), nor do you have to be from the US (or even black) to have an issue with this skit. And it doesn't matter what group/segment of black people this skit was targeting, it's still using exaggerated black face to poke fun at a group of black people.

People poke fun at other cultures all the time. It seems to be poking fun at another culture rather than poking fun at black people specifically.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I took a break from studying to come to this thread. Was worth it.

Holy fuck at that Wii Avatar pic and the real Mii after. LOL.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
.......JJ what am I doin here..golden niggas too.

tumblr_ma0p8fkI9O1qjz0qbo1_500.gif

Kreed

Yeah I'm getting "ignorance and insensitivity" vibes from this, not overt or intended racism.

People poke fun at other cultures all the time. It seems to be poking fun at another culture rather than poking fun at black people specifically.

Racism generally is "ignorance and insensitivity". I don't think anyone in this thread thinks or is trying to imply these performers are secret Grand Wizards.

And I know they may not be poking fun at black people specifically, that's why I made the clarification about a group or segment of black people being targeted in the post you quoted. The "issue" however is that they are using black face to do it, not making fun of the culture. IMO Zwarte Piet has even less to do with black people than this skit, and it was still offensive to most people outside of the country where the holiday is celebrated simply because it's black face.

Racism generally is "ignorance and insensitivity". I don't think anyone in this thread thinks or is trying to imply these performers are secret Grand Wizards.

And I know they may not be poking fun at black people specifically, that's why I made the clarification about a group or segment of black people being targeted in the post you quoted. The "issue" however is that they are using black face to do it, not making fun of the culture. IMO Zwarte Piet has even less to do with black people than this skit, and it was still offensive to most people outside of the country where the holiday is celebrated simply because it's black face.

I don't think black face is something inherently racist.

jaxword

I don't think black face is something inherently racist.

Well...you could say that in different countries and cultures, the intent is different. In America, if you did blackface, you'd have to be deliberately racist because of the history and cultural connotations.

In Japan, they don't have that history, and simply don't know or care about blackface's message.

Both are racist, but one is malicious and one is ignorant.

Well...you could say that in different countries and cultures, the intent is different. In America, if you did blackface, you'd have to be deliberately racist because of the history and cultural connotations.

In Japan, they don't have that history, and simply don't know or care about blackface's message.

Both are racist, but one is malicious and one is ignorant.

That's what I mean.

Japan doesn't have the same history. They don't do blackface with malicious intent. I guess I just don't see it as racism in that case?

needs to be repeated

Japanese people can certainly be racist and xenophobic. I just fail to see the malicious intent in this particular instance.

jaxword

That's what I mean.

Japan doesn't have the same history. They don't do blackface with malicious intent. I guess I just don't see it as racism in that case?

Well, they are very racist towards black people in general, so it's a good idea to not disregard that. They may not have the history of slavery or the political/social past, but they still are unnecessarily mean to black people. And white people, really.

So the malice is there, just not the SAME type, if that is clear.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Japan views black people as the goofy black guy from Die Hard.

I'm not joking. That movie was big in Japan. And you see goofy black guys all the time in Japanese games.

edit: There were two goofy guys in Die Hard. I meant both of them lol

edit2: Damn I forgot the cop. He was goofy too. There you go.

SkyOdin

That's what I mean.

Japanese people can certainly be racist and xenophobic. I just fail to see the malicious intent in this particular instance.

Most racism isn't rooted in malicious intent or hate, it is rooted in ignorance and stereotype. Fundamentally, racism is seeing people as "other" or "different", and letting those sentiments control their interactions. The vast majority of racism is subtle and unconscious, but that doesn't blunt the tremendous damage that it does.

Racism isn't just the product of a few particular cases in human history. It is the result of fundamental aspects of human psychology that people need to guard against on a constant basis. Yes, this portrayal is racist. It is a group of people engaging in creating a caricature of a different race of people in order to entertain as clowns. It is a fundamentally racist action. Mocking different people as ridiculous or backwards in the most basic and oldest form of racism there is, since it presents the targeted group of people as "sub-human".

So no, you can't forgive racism because it is based on "ignorance". All racism is. That is what racism is. Ignorance is the fundamental root of stereotype and hate.

Kreed

That's what I mean.

You don't have to be/have malicious intent to do something racist, discriminatory, or offensive. That's why I mentioned Zwarte Piet. That holiday has nothing to do with black people at all (at least the modern version of it) and no one performing in black face is trying to offend black people on purpose. But it is generally considered racist and offensive because of the act itself, not the intent.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.

It's not malicious, and this thread has been hilarious. But I'd just say it's ignorant if anything.

SkyOdin

It seems to be a caricature of a culture that just happens to be African, not a caricature of an entire race of people based off their skin.

That still qualifies as racism, since it is still a caricature. Doesn't matter what the basis of the caricature is.

That still qualifies as racism, since it is still a caricature. Doesn't matter what the basis of the caricature is.

Wut...

Racism specifically is about race. If you are making a caricature of a CULTURE without any consideration for race it is by definition not racism.

SkyOdin

Wut...

Racism specifically is about race. If you are making a caricature of a CULTURE without any consideration for race it is by definition not racism.
Race is an invention. It is nothing more than a broad grouping of cultures. Concepts such as "black" and "white" are fluid and ill-defined, and they are constantly being changed. Less than 100 years ago, Irish and Italians were not considered "white" in America.

Concepts such as "white" and "black" are hardly defined by skin color in any case. Many people of Chinese or Japanese descent probably have paler skin than more Europeans, who often have tan or ruddy complexions. "White" is just a means of saying "descendant of various Western\Northern European cultures that have been accepted by the predominant culture". You can't separate race and culture, since race is an invention by culture.

Could have danced with them while slanting your eyes and holding a carrot in front of your groin.

It wouldn't have been racist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom