• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm at a Japanese wedding and see this....

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Sloth

Banned
jJ5w8N2.png
Uncanny.

Someone please send EMT's to my home.

As an Australian I'm pretty surprised by the different response this is getting compared with the various instances of similar things from my country.

Dali

As an Australian I'm pretty surprised by the different response this is getting compared with the various instances of similar things from my country.

Apparently a lot of people feel by virtue of being Asian its ok to plead ignorance in a developed nation in the year 2013. I don't.

Apparently a lot of people feel by virtue of being Asian its ok to plead ignorance in a developed nation in the year 2013. I don't.

I think the fact that it's a gaming board with a big anime following helps too. There tends to be a more romanticised view of Japanese culture which makes people tend towards a desire to overlook or ignore the darker side in favour of maintaining that view. It's interesting that folks see these examples as indicative of a broader view within either population but in one case it's unforgivable and in the other just amusing.

Makoto

In the case of Japan, the country has effectively closed itself from immigration. The xenophobia instituted by the government has led to societal cases (as we see here) of cultural ignorance and insensitivity. Not that I'm trying to defend this behavior, mind you.

The other reasons you'll hear from people as to why some give Japan a pass to criticism is that their racism is "not as bad" as compared to other developed countries and that the topic of the thread is not as bad as having your home vandalized for your race, or getting driven out of town.

MasLegio

Banned
In the case of Japan, the country has effectively closed itself from immigration. The xenophobia instituted by the government has led to societal cases (as we see here) of cultural ignorance and insensitivity. Not that I'm trying to defend this behavior, mind you.

The other reasons you'll hear from people as to why some give Japan a pass to criticism is that their racism is "not as bad" as compared to other developed countries and that the topic of the thread is not as bad as having your home vandalized for your race, or getting driven out of town.

you mean like the chinese and korean experienced during the second world war where the japanese were superdupernice to them?

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Just had to view again. One of the greatest threads I've ever seen in my life. Virtually everything brings a tear of laughter to my eyes.

akira28

Why did this happen at a wedding, was the groom black or something?
I can't really call this racist unless they were deliberately poking fun at something. Also I'm African-American and don't find this racist because this is towards Africans and not African-Americans like me. So I don't know what to think.

Go into safe mode, bruh, and run those updates, quick.

RM8

Well, I do think this is racist and there's no way around it.

On the other hand, as a Mexican I found this pretty hilarious and harmless. I'm torn about this - of course I think racism is wrong and no country/culture should get a free pass, but I don't think I'd be too pissed off about this particularly if I were on the receiving end.

What exactly can be done so Japan begins to realize this stuff is not exactly okay? I legit don't know what can be done about it.

Qvoth

Op shouldn't be offended because those guys aren't playing as Africans/blacks
Pretty sure that horned dick culture is something from New guinea, Wikipedia days they're papuan and austronesian people

Ratrat

Being verbally harassed doesn't leave much for interpretation. Not that that won't happen in Japan. It's a foreign culture to most reading this thread so it's seen more as ignorance/amusing. Like this would never happen elsewhere and so many are too baffled.

I can't really call this racist unless they were deliberately poking fun at something. Also I'm African-American and don't find this racist because this is towards Africans and not African-Americans like me. So I don't know what to think.

Say wha?

What about a African african american?

That's blame space.
That aint blame space. And even if it was how would blame space be a black man poison?

ArjanN

Eh, it's less people defending glorious nippon or something, it's more that blackface isn't really a thing outside the US.

There also isn't really any malice in it, it's ignorant at worst.

Brofist

Eh, it's less people defending glorious nippon or something, it's more that blackface isn't really a thing outside the US.

There also isn't really any malice in it, it's ignorant at worst.

Why do Japanese get a pass though? And I would say blackface is most definitely not exclusive to the US.

Being verbally harassed doesn't leave much for interpretation. Not that that won't happen in Japan. It's a foreign culture to most reading this thread so it's seen more as ignorance/amusing. Like this would never happen elsewhere and so many are too baffled.

Well for starters I'm not talking about verbal harassment, just similar examples of this kind of cultural ignorance like the guys doing blackface on a variety show and the KFC ad where a white guy gives fried chicken to West Indians, both of which caused a big and largely negative reaction here on GAF. Secondly, isolated examples of racial harassment happen in the US as well. Around the same time that the incident I believe you're referencing was being discussed here a whole bunch of white supremacists were arrested for a plot to assassinate the President in 2010.

The thing I find confusing is that, in both this and the Australian incidents, people think that these things are indicative of a culture of ignorance and racism (which is kind of a racist assumption in itself), but in one case the majority of replies are "oh Japan", and the other they're "THAT'S RACIST".

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
It's the new jROCK trend. Black people. Who remembers their latest portrayal of a black man in FFXIII? 70's style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom