• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm on Route B of Nier: Automata and I've completely lost interest

Ricker

Just rush through the main story of Route B. It's definitely the lowest point of the game, but Route C makes it so worth it.

Basically this...I liked B but those hacking bits near the end...mggrrrr...almost stopped playing there because there was a few I could'nt do...

I don't mean in a offensive way. You guys never told me I had to replay the game to finish it for real. I was only told the game had a good story and combat, two big lies in my opinion, since the story is locked behind playthroughs and the combat is very repetitive and simplistic.

But yes, Nier did get me banned and I should leave this thread before I get banned again lol. Bye!

The story isn't locked behind playthroughs. As much as I don't like the game this is wrong. It's presented as such but it's basically just one playthrough.

True Fire

What the fuck, wow. Are the side stuff relatively important for the story?

People will tell you that the side stuff is important, but it's not.

There's some quests that flesh out NPCs you don't really need to worry about, and there's a quest that foreshadows Ending C/D, but only the most hardcore players care about that stuff.

I recommend going back to the theatre after the boss though. That "side quest" was a blast.

LotusHD

Banned
The entire game has been a horrible chore for me. I take multiple month breaks after only a day or two of playing because it's so frustrating. Whenever I get to ending E it better be so effing amazing that I spontaneously combust.

You have been amusing to keep tabs on, because I don't think I've ever seen you have anything good to say about your experience so far, which sucks to read from afar. So I was actually surprised that you came back to finish it lol

I guess it probably really is just a difference in philosophy. Honestly I'd prefer it if sidequests are something I can tune out or have truly be optional to having a fully well-rounded experience. If there's a game and people are all, "oh, you can't truly grasp the full story unless you do all these repetitive fetch quests", I'll zone out. Games are supposed to be fun, is I think the key thing here. The narrative can be amazing as hell, but if the game itself just can't support it then I really do believe that's a fundamental issue from a design standpoint. I totally get this is something everyone's going to feel different on, and I appreciate that they did try experimenting a bit more with tying everything together, but I'm trying to articulate why it would've been better if the sidequests themselves were just designed tighter.

I mean, they are optional though, they're not necessary to understanding every little thing. It's just stuff like dark twists, some foreshadowing, Nier 1 fanservice, stuff like that. You won't like, be lost if you don't do them lol

But at the same time, I still obviously need developers to try when it comes to sidequests, I don't want it to be something that I'd tune out, where I don't give a shit about who I'm helping (barring the sidequest offering a good reward of course), otherwise what's the point.

That said, I enjoyed the general gameplay, so that's another factor, but yea, I don't really ever expect much in terms of pure "fun" regarding the sidequests. Even with Witcher 3, which is considered to have the most consistently rewarding ones in terms of narrative, is all stuff that I could easily say can be just as tedious as what Nier and other games have me do.

Hektor

They're important to the themes but not to the story if that makes sense.
They basically offer new and different viewpoints than the main story on the same topics and build the world of Nier, however, the plot can be experienced in it's entirety through the main story alone.

Arkeband

Banned
The story isn't locked behind playthroughs. As much as I don't like the game this is wrong. It's presented as such but it's basically just one playthrough.

I can guarantee people like that have clocked thousands of hours into Overwatch or Destiny, yet the moment a single player RPG asks them to repeat a task in a different way, it's suddenly betrayed their trust and their precious time has been stolen.

I played this and forced myself through the first playthrough, which is like a B-tier platinum game that took itself too seriously with a lame open world and cool music, because it was my understanding that my mind would explode after I started the second. It didn't explode so after a couple of hours into the second playthrough I stopped. It does have some fun ideas though.

EDIT: oh I see, I have to finish it twice, and then my mind will be blown

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

Yeah to me side quests really add to story.

for example the Quest for 210.
you are gathering data from old world for 210. as she learns about how humans live together as family. Then beginning of Route C 210 starts treating 9S like a child and later on when she gets infected with logic virus you will how 210 wanted have family like human used to have and she saw 9S. has her son.

LotusHD

Banned

This is why I just don't really bother with that poster regarding Automata threads, he made a thread where all of this was explained to him repeatedly, but the simple fact is that he just simply never comes in good faith.

I had 36 hours with 83% sidequests. There's a post on GAF (I think it already got shared in this thread) of which sidequests are the best to do. Most of them are their own little self contained stories that reveal a bit about the world, some foreshadow later events.

Hektor

I played this and forced myself through the first playthrough, which is like a B-tier platinum game that took itself too seriously with a lame open world and cool music, because it was my understanding that my mind would explode after I started the second. It didn't explode so after a couple of hours into the second playthrough I stopped. It does have some fun ideas though.

EDIT: oh I see, I have to finish it twice, and then my mind will be blown

No, you need to finish it exactly once, because the thing you describe is not finishing the game.

Sygma

Look up how to actually wreck shit up as 9s without hacking. Not gonna lie it got tedious real quick and he's insufferable as a character.

wmlk

I can guarantee people like that have clocked thousands of hours into Overwatch or Destiny, yet the moment a single player RPG asks them to repeat a task in a different way, it's suddenly betrayed their trust and their precious time has been stolen.

Well, people come in with different expectations. If people are experiencing a story repeatedly then that's annoying.

With games like Overwatch and Destiny, it's repetitive but you play the game for that repetition. You know what it is going in. It's only about the gameplay in those games.

I don't know about Automata, but Replicant/Gestalt started with immediate new content for Route B that was better than anything in the first playthrough. There's a boss battle that builds off of that right after that offers you a different perspective. Automata sounds much worse than what Replicant/Gestalt had, so that's sucky.

EDIT: Actually wtf, that comparison makes 0 sense.

killatopak

It's not very important but it fleshes out the story and sometimes alludes you to what will happen in the future. I platinumed the game in 55 hours. That's guideless until the final 5 hours.

You can get through the repeated content in route B in about 2 hours if you plow through it. Plus they give you new ways of dealing with foes and new characterisation for the events of route A.

I think I enjoyed route B as much or more than route A, maybe I'm just weird though.

made my way through it (& everything that followed), but didn't really enjoy it. seriously? i think i would've been happy enough just passing on it all after finishing route a :) ...

It's like you don't know what context is

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
You can get through the repeated content in route B in about 2 hours if you plow through it. Plus they give you new ways of dealing with foes and new characterisation for the events of route A.

I think I enjoyed route B as much or more than route A, maybe I'm just weird though.

I also really enjoyed Route B.

I like playing as 9S more than 2B.

Get a good spear, put on some Stun and Combust chips, become as Gods.

The side-content isn't good, just focus on the main stories. I dashed through most of the game with all endings in under 30 hours. And I normally do most side-quests in RPGs.

hrab

Automata is not only about story and combat. It takes fantastic use of the fact that it is a game and makes it part of the experience and has so many clever little things that make it so unique(at least for someone who plays Yoko Taro game for the first time like I did).If you can't enjoy and appreciate them (if you even notice), don't force yourself, give your copy to someone that might instead.

Route B might actually be a good indicator of whether you should play further or quit - if after reaching the bunker and meeting 2B you have a big smile on your face because of what's happening - lucky you, since you know how to enjoy what the game does. If not, i think there is no point in playing anymore.

Mesoian

I honestly don't understand the appeal of this game at all. Replaying it 26 times to get different endings sounds like torture with a game that mediocre. I'm convinced the only real reason people play it is because they like anime girls, because that seems like the only appeal that game has.
Hey look. Someone who never touched the game.

Power through b op. Route c is WORTH IT.

bosh

So I was enjoying this game to begin with. Its weird tone and dramatic soundtrack made an instant impression on me, and the dynamic switching of perspectives and mechanics during combat made for some really engaging set-pieces. And because I was having a good time, I felt compelled to complete as much side content as my level would permit before it was time to move on to the point of no return.

BIG MISTAKE!

I'm on Route B now and I already feel burned out. I've sunk too many hours into optional stuff because I wanted to explore the smaller vignettes of lore and world building, but the problem is that said optional stuff comes straight out of the Dragon Age: Inquisition textbook of stock fetch-quest design. "Please go to this part of the map and collect this item/fight these enemies and come back to me." I can only tolerate so much of that, but by the end of Route A I had only cleared approximately 48% of the quests! So moving on, I hesitatingly resorted to skipping everything outside the main plotline, because doing anything more would be masochism at this rate. But the other major problem, and this is pretty well documented at this point, is that Route B features a lot of recycled content. There are some entirely new segments, but more than half of it involves playing through the same game again. Yeah sure, you can approach fights in a different way via
hacking
, but that new mini-game mechanic has lost its lustre very quickly.

Needless to say, my opinion of this game has taken a steep decline. The overarching problem for me is that Nier: Automata can't sustain its own length. The combat was gratifying to begin with, but is ultimately too simplistic to hold the attention for such a long duration, and the narrative is scattershot and borderline episodic to the extent that even the main story has lost its appeal now. And there's still Route C to go! I can't help but feel this is yet another example of a game that's too bloated and could've benefited from some serious editing. It's somewhat dispiriting to have my impressions of a game go downhill like this, considering how things started out, and I just had to vent.

Yah that can happen. I enjoyed the game but can understand people's frustrations like yours above.

I would agree with others, just do the main story and skip the side stuff. It's open after the game ends still and isn't really necessary. The game is relatively easy so I wouldn't worry about being under level. The final is actually pretty awesome and worth pushing through if you can .

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
At the end they go for different things, Route B doesn't pretend to be Nier 1 NG+, so it's not comparable.

I agree with you in the sense that Route B doesn't go for the emotional jugular that Nier's NG+ does, but they do work on the exact same principle and serve the same function of giving the player a different perspective on things.

There are some pretty big revelations in Route B, its just that the whole situation is a lot more "shades-of-grey" to begin with, so it isn't such a gut-punch.

For me though, there's some absolutely killer stuff in there particularly if you are invested in the whole drakenverse meta-story; The first picture-book harkening back to the "Fire Of Prometheus" short-story in the DOD3 anniversary set is massive for example.

I really think as ruthlessly effective as Nier's NG+ approach was, what Yoko does in Automata shows real creative growth and advancement from it.

This is a bit of left field comparison but people just get stuck too much on the whole “ending” thing.

Timeaisis

Nier Automata is an exhausting videogame, in more ways than one.

Personally, I hate it. Some people seem to love it to death, though, blemishes and all.

You are comparing apples to oranges here. An online game is dynamic in the way that each match, while you are partaking in mostly the same actions, is extremely different because of the human factor. You could play 1,000 matches and not have an identical experience. In single-player games, this is just not the case. AI gets predictable, mechanics wear out their welcome, and you fall into a similar, tireless routine. Yes, Route B is different mechanically, but it's only different...at first.

Lost interest half way in? Forcing yourself to play the rest? My advice is to drop it for now. Maybe at some point you will feel inclined to beat the game. There's no point to keep playing a game just to complete it. It will probably leave you a with a bad taste even if you complete it, regardless of how you feel about the story by the end.

And this goes not only with Nier but also pretty much every game out there.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I like playing as 9S more than 2B.

Get a good spear, put on some Stun and Combust chips, become as Gods.

Yes! I fully agree. His best spear is absolutely amazing as a weapon and hacking can destroy any enemy more quickly than any melee fight could.

If Route B is such a pain for so many, then you could put the game on Easy, equip auto-chips and just mainline the route. That'd be, what? 4 hours, tops?

LotusHD

Banned
Yes! I fully agree. His best spear is absolutely amazing as a weapon and hacking can destroy any enemy more quickly than any melee fight could.

If Route B is such a pain for so many, then you could put the game on Easy, equip auto-chips and just mainline the route. That'd be, what? 4 hours, tops?

Yea I told my friend to start using spears, he's enjoying the game a lot more now.

Top Bottom