• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In 2017, Peter Parker isn't really an underdog anymore

Why though? He isn't consumed by his uncles death. He died, he grieved, he moved on with his life. He is a hero because the words Ben said to him are important and mean something too him not just because he's some whackjob with a costume.

I guess I relate more to the wackjob than the well adjusted happy go lucky guy.

I like a Peter who questions if the spider bite also took away his ability to be happy, rather than some kid who already has it all figured out months later.

Slayven

I like a Peter who questions if the spider bite also took away his ability to be happy, rather than some kid who already has it all figured out months later.
Wait what? The whole point Homecoming was him figuring out who he wanted to be

Strongly disagree. I felt Peter social outcastness in this movie way more than the various others. I guess he didn't seem as poor, cash strapped.

LionPride

Banned

But he doesn't have it all figured out, he's just learned how to not let it manifest itself into something negative and instead use it for positive. Like a well adjusted human being.

Seesaw15

The fact that his quiz team has all the hot girls of the high school is also funny and geek.

Why can't hot girls do extracurricular activities or are they just supposed to stand on a pedestal and be listed after? Ton of cute girls in my school were on student government/debate etc. Liz even says she's doing this for her college resume. Hot girls wanna go to college too.

Peter Parker is only in high school in the cartoons and the movies.

He hasn't been in high school since the 60's (ultimate doesn't count). Like, yeah, when he's being portrayed as a kid his whole schtick is figuring things out but.

He hasn't been that in the primary medium of his existence for the vast majority of his existence which is why I find this whole critique to be weird.

Why do people have change so much in comic book movies?

If they always stuck to the same idea and every last detail of the comics, it'd be pretty boring.

I loved comic Spidey and it's nice to see things different on screen. I go to see a NEW Peter Parker and a NEW Spiderman, not the same one we've been used to for decades.

Slayven

Peter Parker is only in high school in the cartoons and the movies.

He hasn't been in high school since the 60's (ultimate doesn't count). Like, yeah, when he's being portrayed as a kid his whole schtick is figuring things out but.

He hasn't been that in the primary medium of his existence for the vast majority of his existence which is why I find this whole critique to be weird.

I did the math, he was in high school in comics for like 18 months real time, the vast majority of his time as a character was an adult. Even his college years wasn't that long. That is why thye had a solid opportunity in Miles, but Miles is boring.

wazoo

Why can't hot girls do extracurricular activities or are they just supposed to stand on a pedestal and be listed after? Ton of cute girls in my school were on student government/debate etc. Liz even says she's doing this for her college resume. Hot girls wanna go to college too.

I did not refute that. I said that there is no social trauma attached to the fact your main social activities at school is shared by people that the movie industry considers as "non losers". As I said in the same message, how do you consider him a loser when he is dating the hottest girl in the school, which is a criterion for social acceptance when you are a kid.

He is even so cool that he can date a girl 2 year older than him.

wazoo

Why do people have change so much in comic book movies?

If they always stuck to the same idea and every last detail of the comics, it'd be pretty boring.

I loved comic Spidey and it's nice to see things different on screen. I go to see a NEW Peter Parker and a NEW Spiderman, not the same one we've been used to for decades.

I would love to see movies not made on the same list of heroes for ever.

LionPride

Banned
Hold up

Peter and Liz never date btw

They went to Homecoming

She knows he likes her

She likes him

They ain't cuffed, they ain't goin together, so he ain't datin shit

He's 15 in Homecoming, with an an aunt who is young enough that she can work and isn't constantly dying of old age. Just the decision to make it a realistic age gap, instead of a biological mystery where an 80 year-old woman has a 16/17 year old nephew, is going to limit some of the soap opera melodrama. Also a year or two makes a difference. It's not that believable that a 15 year old gets job as a photographer any more.

Rosstimus

Banned
This video sums up the movie's tone pretty well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC_AqezinXM

Its a safe feeling, fluffy, feel-good film that eschews anything sad, pathetic, or pitiful about Peter Parker (even Uncle Ben's death doesn't get so much as a mention). This a Spider-Man that's been put through the MCU machine. These movies are simple, light, and disposable to a fault.

Wait what? The whole point Homecoming was him figuring out who he wanted to be

Everyone has to figure out what they want to be. What I'm saying, is the classic struggles that define the Peter Parker character, to me, are absent

The Parker I like didn't just grieve Uncle Ben and was done with it months; he never lets it go, even if he should, it drives him.

Not being immediately accepted into the Avengers just isn't that strong an acceptance narrative, to me.

LionPride

Banned
He's 15 in Homecoming, with an an aunt who is young enough that she can work and isn't constantly dying of old age. Just the decision to make it a realistic age gap, instead of a biological mystery where an 80 year-old woman has a 16/17 year old nephew, is going to limit some of the soap opera melodrama. Also a year or two makes a difference. It's not that believable that a 15 year old gets job as a photographer any more.

Ain't believable a high school student becomes a photographer for something unless they networked hard as fuck the summer between Junior and Senior years tbh

Everyone has to figure out what they want to be. What I'm saying, is the classic struggles that define the Peter Parker character, to me, are absent

The Parker I like didn't just grieve Uncle Ben and was done with it months; he never lets it go, even if he should, it drives him.

Not being immediately accepted into the Avengers just isn't that strong an acceptance narrative, to me.
He is literally driven to be Spider-Man by his uncle dying

He is driven to face Vulture not only because he wants to prove himself to Tony and be seen as something past a circus act by the people of Queens, but also because it's the right thing to do. No version of Peter is gonna be constantly saying "Well I gotta stop this dude because Unc told me I gotta and he died so I have to protect the city." No after a while you use it as motivation but it ain't gon be reasons 1-5

Slayven

Something can drive you without you dwelling on it.

His need to constantly please Stark who comes off as a surrogate father figure is a sign of that

Seesaw15

I did not refute that. I said that there is no social trauma attached to the fact your main social activities at school is shared by people that the movie industry considers as "non losers". As I said in the same message, how do you consider him a loser when he is dating the hottest girl in the school, which is a criterion for social acceptance when you are a kid.

He is even so cool that he can date a girl 2 year older than him.

Like I never saw Parker as a loser but a lovable flack who always fucks himself over. Even in the Rami films he wasn't a loser, everyone liked him they were always disappointed in him for never being around. I think Tom Holland is doing the same thing as Tobey but Tobey brought a weird energy with his performance.

MartyStu

you wanna talk whackjob with a costume who never got over his parents death, he's probably the most popular DC hero

We should also have a thread about this. Batman will never be 'well-adjusted' but he has been written as being 'over' his parents death plenty.

First off, please remember that this isn't a Raimi film or a Ditko comic and nor is it trying to be. It is its own thing.

Peter hasn't been an outcast for 50 years or so, and it's not like he was exactly trying to not be one. Early Pete wanted to not be involved in everyone else's fun. Shit, wasn't Ditko making Peter a little bit Randian in his views? I remember something like that. Early Peter was a dick, from what I remember. Nobody likes a dickhead. Flash may not have been some big dumb jock stereotype but he was definitely a realistic portrayal of a bully. Heck, even I had someone like Flash being an asshole to me in school and it would bother me. His dickishness drives Peter to make choices.

Tough choices? Yeah, Peter makes tough choices for a kid his age. Go to Liz's party as Spidey and prove that you, Peter, know him and are therefore cool? Nah, gotta stop crime. Go swimming with your friends and Liz, your number one crush? Nah, gotta stop crime. Go to the decathlon and help win it for your team? Nah, gotta stop crime. Go to the Homecoming dance with Liz? Nah, gotta stop crime. He may not have the weight of the entire friggin' world on his shoulders but he's a kid and these are difficult things to give up when you're that age. Also, MCU Aunt May isn't about to die after picking up a spoon because she's so old and frail so there's no need to worry about her except for the secret identity thing.

As for being poor, Homecoming Peter shows no signs of not being poor. I grew up poor and can tell you it isn't all some melodramatic Raimi type stuff that yells "I'M BROKE AS SHIT". You can have nice looking but basic clothing that fits, a cheap phone and cheap laptop. Doesn't mean you're living a life where you don't have to worry about finance in the future, because let's please remember that MCU Peter is a 15 year old kid going to a genius high school, part of the academic team and being Spidey. He doesn't have to worry about finances at his age. The only mention of money we get is him mentioning that he only has $5 (at the bodega), which is around how much my broke ass would have on a schoolday. Also, let's not use that Raimi line about wanting to earn what he gets. Dude is literally living in his best friend's father's big apartment rent free when he says that line.

One last thing: Penis Parker.

Like I never saw Parker as a loser but a lovable flack who always fucks himself over. Even in the Rami films he wasn't a loser, everyone liked him they were always disappointed in him for never being around. I think Tom Holland is doing the same thing as Tobey but Tobey brought a weird energy with his performance.

What? Dude, the bus driver ignored him and the entire school bus laughed at Peter running to catch them. A group gathered to watch Flash beat his ass. The girl he liked dated Flash & Harry before him. Everyone did not like him.

In Homecoming, Flash & MJ(who likes him) tease him. A group of kids laugh at Penis Parker, but it's a clever pun and it isn't used against him in a way that would honestly make the audience feel bad for him. Basically everyone does like him in this film.

LionPride

Banned
First off, please remember that this isn't a Raimi film or a Ditko comic and nor is it trying to be. It is its own thing.

Peter hasn't been an outcast for 50 years or so, and it's not like he was exactly trying to not be one. Early Pete wanted to not be involved in everyone else's fun. Shit, wasn't Ditko making Peter a little bit Randian in his views? I remember something like that. Early Peter was a dick, from what I remember. Nobody likes a dickhead.

Tough choices? Yeah, Peter makes tough choices for a kid his age. Go to Liz's party as Spidey and prove that you, Peter, know him and are therefore cool? Nah, gotta stop crime. Go swimming with your friends and Liz, your number one crush? Nah, gotta stop crime. Go to the decathlon and help win it for your team? Nah, gotta stop crime. Go to the Homecoming dance with Liz? Nah, gotta stop crime. He may not have the weight if the entire friggin' world on his shoulders but he's a kid and these are difficult things to give up when you're that age. Also, MCU Aunt May isn't about to die after picking up a spoon because she's so old and frail so there's no need to worry about her except for the secret identity thing.

As for being poor, Homecoming Peter shows no signs of not being poor. I grew up poor and can tell you it isn't all some melodramatic Raimi type stuff that yells "I'M BROKE AS SHIT". You can have nice looking but basic clothing that fits, a cheap phone and cheap laptop. Doesn't mean you're living a life where you don't have to worry about finance in the future, because let's please remember that MCU Peter is a 15 year old kid going to a genius high school, part of the academic team and being Spidey. He doesn't have to worry about finances at his age. The only mention of money we get is him mentioning that he only has $5 (at the bodega), which is around how much my broke ass would have on a schoolday. Also, let's not use that Raimi line about wanting to earn what he gets. Dude is literally living in his best friend's father's big apartment rent free when he says that line.

Fucking thank you

Slayven

Peter hasn't been an outcast for 50 years or so, and it's not like he was exactly trying to not be one. Early Pete wanted to not be involved in everyone else's fun. Shit, wasn't Ditko making Peter a little bit Randian in his views? I remember something like that. Early Peter was a dick, from what I remember. Nobody likes a dickhead.

Tough choices? Yeah, Peter makes tough choices for a kid his age. Go to Liz's party as Spidey and prove that you, Peter, know him and are therefore cool? Nah, gotta stop crime. Go swimming with your friends and Liz, your number one crush? Nah, gotta stop crime. Go to the decathlon and help win it for your team? Nah, gotta stop crime. Go to the Homecoming dance with Liz? Nah, gotta stop crime. He may not have the weight if the entire friggin' world on his shoulders but he's a kid and these are difficult things to give up when you're that age. Also, MCU Aunt May isn't about to die after picking up a spoon because she's so old and frail so there's no need to worry about her except for the secret identity thing.

And let the church say Amen

You guys have to stop discounting Ultimate Spider-Man as if it hasn't been the biggest influence on the general vibe & tone of most recent Spider-Man films & shows. 15 years ago, a modern Peter Parker was getting food thrown at him & being picked on by guys bigger than him.

Ditko didn't really infect Peter's personality with much Rand nonsense beside one panel where Peter doesn't join a war protest where Stan would have had him do so. Other than that, Peter was just a dude really wrapped up in himself and his own problems, which were many.

If you guys insist that Penis Parker makes the guy some outcast, I guess you're lucky if that seems like a huge deal. Again, if they had half the school constantly calling him that, it would be different

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
If you guys insist that Penis Parker makes the guy some outcast, I guess you're lucky if that seems like a huge deal. Again, if they had half the school constantly calling him that, it would be different
Plenty of them were chanting it at Liz's party.

Seesaw15

What? Dude, the bus driver ignored him and the entire school bus laughed at Peter running to catch them. A group gathered to watch Flash beat his ass. The girl he liked dated Flash & Harry before him. Everyone did not like him.

In Homecoming, Flash & MJ(who likes him) tease him. A group of kids laugh at Penis Parker, but it's a clever pun and it isn't used against him in a way that would honestly make the audience feel bad for him. Basically everyone does like him in this film.

I'm talking post bite Peter was never a loser. Day after he's bitten he gets in a fight with flash and the next scene we see at school is graduation.

Everyone likes Peter in Rami's films. They give him so many chances and when they have to fire him/collect rent/ tell him he's failing a class/end a friendship there's always a speech about how they like him but he's not reliable. Even his boss at the pizzeria feels bad having to fire Peter.

Homecoming does the same thing but since the movie starts the beginning of sophomore year and not the end of senior year he's gonna be liked in high school vs college/work.

Raziel

"Penis" Parker is like what a 30-40 yo screenwriter thinks high school kid humor is like. My classmates in HS would have looked at anyone making that joke like they were stupid. Seems more like a joke for grade 5 and below.

LotusHD

Banned
This. I feel like people just checked out during this film.

Lmao, right?

Peter hasn't been an outcast for 50 years or so, and it's not like he was exactly trying to not be one. Early Pete wanted to not be involved in everyone else's fun. Shit, wasn't Ditko making Peter a little bit Randian in his views? I remember something like that. Early Peter was a dick, from what I remember. Nobody likes a dickhead. Flash may not have been some big dumb jock stereotype but he was definitely a realistic portrayal of a bully. Heck, even I had someone like Flash being an asshole to me in school and it would bother me. His dickishness drives Peter to make choices.

Tough choices? Yeah, Peter makes tough choices for a kid his age. Go to Liz's party as Spidey and prove that you, Peter, know him and are therefore cool? Nah, gotta stop crime. Go swimming with your friends and Liz, your number one crush? Nah, gotta stop crime. Go to the decathlon and help win it for your team? Nah, gotta stop crime. Go to the Homecoming dance with Liz? Nah, gotta stop crime. He may not have the weight of the entire friggin' world on his shoulders but he's a kid and these are difficult things to give up when you're that age. Also, MCU Aunt May isn't about to die after picking up a spoon because she's so old and frail so there's no need to worry about her except for the secret identity thing.

Thank you!

Fucking thank you
And let the church say Amen
Thank you!

tenor.gif

You guys have to stop discounting Ultimate Spider-Man as if it hasn't been the biggest influence on the general vibe & tone of most recent Spider-Man films & shows. 15 years ago, a modern Peter Parker was getting food thrown at him & being picked on by guys bigger than him.
We're not discounting its influence but we are discounting its depiction of bullying. Getting food thrown at you is done by, what, 11 year olds now? From my experience and observation, kids move on from physical bullying to mental torment once they start hitting puberty. It's an outdated stereotype of what bullying is.
Ditko didn't really infect Peter's personality with much Rand nonsense beside one panel where Peter doesn't join a war protest where Stan would have had him do so. Other than that, Peter was just a dude really wrapped up in himself and his own problems, which were many.
Alright, you got me with the Rand thing. I can't recall it all that well.
The entire crowd were enthusiastically chanting it when prompted by Flash. That's a good number of people that Peter knows.

LionPride

Banned
Also it's not like a magnet school for some of the smartest motherfuckers in New York City is gonna be some big ass 3000 kid school

It's gonna be a bit smaller

MartyStu

What is even the point of wanting Peter bullied and tormented at school? This chapter in his life pretty much has little major impact on him as a character beyond the scenes/pages it happens.

I'm talking post bite Peter was never a loser. Day after he's bitten he gets in a fight with flash and the next scene we see at school is graduation.

Everyone likes Peter in Rami's films. They give him so many chances and when they have to fire him/collect rent/ tell him he's failing a class/end a friendship there's always a speech about how they like him but he's not reliable. Even his boss at the pizzeria feels bad having to fire Peter.

Homecoming does the same thing but since the movie starts the beginning of sophomore year and not the end of senior year he's gonna be liked in high school vs college/work.

People like him, but they recognize that there is something off with this kid. People are like "what's up with Parker?"

Jonah & his landlord both take advantage of him.

There's the whole working poor issue that also isn't a issue for MCU Parker.

LionPride

Banned
Peter is a Senior in HS for all of five minutes in Raimi's movies but we gon compare him having to work and be poor as a college student to a 15 year old Sophomore in HS who is poor?
Okay

Dalek

The most you could say is he kept to himself. People have this weird idea he was some neckbeard weirdo in highschool or something

I find that the people that seem to have the strongest opinion of what "Peter Parker" is and should be - are people who don't read the books and instead based their entire opinion on the Raimi movies and maybe a few episodes of a cartoon.

Spider-Man has been around forever. There are multiple versions of his life and multiple phases and emotions that we get to see him explore. We're not just locked down to the themes that's Raimi explored.

Sojgat

"Penis" Parker is like what a 30-40 yo screenwriter thinks high school kid humor is like. My classmates in HS would have looked at anyone making that joke like they were stupid. Seems more like a joke for grade 5 and below.

I mean yeah, and I think it works because it makes Flash look like the juvenile douchbag he is. The other kids go along with the chant at the party, but no one else is randomly coming up to Peter and calling him that.

LotusHD

Banned
What is even the point of wanting Peter bullied and tormented at school? This chapter in his life pretty much has little major impact on him as a character beyond the scenes/pages it happens.

On the other side of people wanting a more "quippy", comic accurate Spiderman, people want a Peter Parker that is absolutely struggling on virtually every level I guess.

Peter Parker's issues in the comics, outside of Flash, are mostly from his consistent and constant failure to balance his life as Spider-Man with his life as Peter Parker. Spider-Man could solve Peter's problems, but to do so would negate the lesson he learned at Uncle Ben's death. So, Spider-Man is a selfless hero, but that same selflessness causes his life as Parker to suffer.

That's it. That's the core of Spider-Man.

Let's look at early Spider-Man (IMAGE HEAVY, click the images to enlarge), and thus early Peter Parker.

Amazing #1: Back to Peter is his day-to-day. Bullying? Nah, he opts out on his own. Why? So he can make some money as Spider-Man. (Yep, he doesn't give that up immediately after Ben dies.) In fact, if you look at all the early Amazing issues, Parker is a part of the Flash clique, except he has to dip constantly and Flash always gives him a hard time.

In two issues, Parker has a job at the Bugle as Spider-Man photographer - remember he's in high school - and as the top scientist in his class, professors are always asking him to join them. And what? He gives Flash as much as he gets? Shock!

What about that blonde girl? Liz Allen! Oh wait! Let's jump to Amazing #4. He has a date with her. He blows it because of Spider-Man stuff, but again, he has a date with Liz Allen! Even at the end when Flash is throwing shade, Liz tells him to stop.

Amazing #7: Here's Peter taking a break from highschool and Spider-Man problems to mack on Betty Brant, the Daily Bugle's secretary.

In ASM (the film), people got in on the scene where Peter with power publicly takes on Flash, except, you know that happened in the comics. Again, this is issue #8, where Peter is openly fighting with and making fun of, Flash Thompson.

Flash even starts to soften (Issue #9), but alas Peter's too busy thinking about other stuff and he gives him the cold shoulder. Same issue, Pete's already A) hot, because Flash crushed his glasses and B) in a relationship with Betty.

Liz and Flash comes visit his aunt in the goddamn hospital!

Issue #12: Liz steps up again to make a play. Peter shoots her down, because he's dating Betty.

This is 12 issues in, if you don't count Amazing Fantasy. By #15 he has two women fighting over him almost full time (Liz and Betty hate each other). That's how long Peter Parker was a sad sack in the way that some see him. It's a flanderization, pure and simple. People have this conception of Spider-Man that simply doesn't match up to anything and Raimi's films were a part of that.

LionPride

Banned
Peter Parker's issues in the comics, outside of Flash, are mostly from his consistent and constant failure to balance his life as Spider-Man with his life as Peter Parker. Spider-Man could solve Peter's problems, but to do so would negate the lesson he learned at Uncle Ben's death. So, Spider-Man is a selfless hero, but that same selflessness causes his life as Parker to suffer.

Let's look at early Spider-Man (IMAGE HEAVY, click the images to enlarge), and thus early Peter Parker.

Amazing #1: Back to Peter is his day-to-day. Bullying? Nah, he opts out on his own. Why? So he can make some money as Spider-Man. (Yep, he doesn't give that up immediately after Ben dies.) In fact, if you look at all the early Amazing issues, Parker is a part of the Flash clique, except he has to dip constantly and Flash always gives him a hard time.

In two issues, Parker has a job at the Bugle as Spider-Man photographer - remember he's in high school - and as the top scientist in his class, professors are always asking him to join them. And what? He gives Flash as much as he gets? Shock!

What about that blonde girl? Liz Allen! Oh wait! Let's jump to Amazing #4. He has a date with her. He blows it because of Spider-Man stuff, but again, he has a date with Liz Allen! Even at the end when Flash is throwing shade, Liz tells him to stop.

Amazing #7: Here's Peter taking a break from highschool and Spider-Man problems to mack on Betty Brant, the Daily Bugle's secretary.

In ASM (the film), people got in on the scene where Peter with power publicly takes on Flash, except, you know that happened in the comics. Again, this is issue #8, where Peter is openly fighting with and making fun of, Flash Thompson.

Flash even starts to soften (Issue #9), but alas Peter's too busy thinking about other stuff and he gives him the cold shoulder. Same issue, Pete's already A) hot, because Flash crushed his glasses and B) in a relationship with Betty.

Issue #12: Liz steps up again to make a play. Peter shoots her down, because he's dating Betty.

This is 12 issues in, if you don't count Amazing Fantasy. That's how long Peter Parker was a sad sack in the way that some see him. It's a flanderization, pure and simple. People have this conception of Spider-Man that simply doesn't match up to anything and Raimi's films were a part of that.
Won't he do it!

No one in my theater laughed at that shit. Kind of embarrassing

Slayven

This is 12 issues in, if you don't count Amazing Fantasy. By #15 he has two women fighting over him almost full time (Liz and Betty hate each other). That's how long Peter Parker was a sad sack in the way that some see him. It's a flanderization, pure and simple. People have this conception of Spider-Man that simply doesn't match up to anything and Raimi's films were a part of that.

MHW, don't hurt them.

Top Bottom