• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In-depth review of the Samsung KS 8000

We got this Wednesday to replace our old Sammy and today I sat down and had a good mess with it and I have to say, I'm not really impressed.
The picture is fine, it's generally a match for my Sony in my bedroom but viewing 4k and I'm not seeing it.
The picture quality is as detailed as a good blu-ray and at double the resolution that can't be right, it says 4k but I don't know what I'm supposed to be looking at.
Also I tried that HDR+ and it seems to double the refresh rate too which makes things look off.
Any ideas or was I expecting too much
HDR+ is essentially artificial HDR for non HDR content. Don't have to use it with HDR UHD Blu ray films. This may explain. http://www.samsung.com/global/tv/news/samsung-announces-hdr-update.html It shouldn't double the refresh rate to 48hz (using 24hz as a standard). It may look odd because settings need to be adjusted.
As for quality, hard to say. Often the film itself is the issue. When I saw Deadpool it was stunning. Warcraft not so much.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
What kind of content are you viewing on it?
Amazon Prime Video, Netflix and YouTube
I'm guessing a 4k Blu-ray will probably be the real deal
^^
Yeah I mean I pop onto Youtube to check other other film trailers because I thought maybe it's just what I'm watching,I know Youtube ain't the best for 4k content but I thought I'd see the difference still
The quality of the picture on YouTube is better but it's nothing you don't see on a good BD disc

Elios83

I looked up crushing black and I'm definitely getting that.

How do I prevent it?

Crushed blacks happen if the RGB range in the console is not the same used for the TV input.
If you have full RGB on the PS4 you need to set HDMI Black level to normal.
If you have limited RGB on the PS4 you need to set HDMI Black level to low.

If blacks still look crushed to you, you might want to increase either brightness or gamma or turn down dynamic contrast by a notch.
If I set dynamic contrast to high for example blacks look crushed to me as well. With medium it looks fine to me.

SeanR1221

Crushed blacks happen if the RGB range in the console is not the same used for the TV input.

If blacks still look crushed to you, you might want to increase either brightness or gamma or turn down dynamic contrast by a notch.
If I set dynamic contrast to high for example blacks look crushed to me as well. With medium it looks fine to me.

Appreciate the help but I'm still getting issues like this when indoors and I'm not standing in the light

0V8cN7Ah.jpg

Rbk_3

^^
Yeah I mean I pop onto Youtube to check other other film trailers because I thought maybe it's just what I'm watching,I know Youtube ain't the best for 4k content but I thought I'd see the difference still
The quality of the picture on YouTube is better but it's nothing you don't see on a good BD disc

You're never going to get a true 4K experience with streaming, the bitrate is just too low. I find that a regular blu ray is just as good if not better than anything I have streamed in 4k.
Download some 4k HDR demos to a USB stick to see what the TV can do.

http://demo-uhd3d.com/categorie.php?tag=hdr

Keep in mind Mad Max and Lego Movie ones are an encrypted file format and only work on a Panasonic TV.

Rbk_3

Appreciate the help but I'm still getting issues like this when indoors and I'm not standing in the light

Put this test pattern up and tell us what you see. If your blacks aren't being crushed, you should be able to distinguish all of the black boxes down to 1%. If they are being crushed, 1%-5% would just look like a single black bar, for example.

blacktest.png

^^

No wonder, there is some terrible 4K HDR films on Netflix and Amazon, like truly bad.

4K Blu-ray and 4K gaming is a fantastic experience.
Especially with HDR.

thatJohann

I'm so confused. I keep reading contradictory info on this. On Samsung TVs, does HDMI BLACK LEVEL 'Normal' correspond to 0-255 OR to 16-235?

In other words, on Samsung tv's is HDMI Black Level 'Normal' equal to Limited or Full RGB?

Edit: found this and makes a lot of sense:
https://www.avforums.com/threads/samsung-hdmi-black-level-setting-explanation-required.1766067/

Quote from URL:
"Normal" and "Low" are not used by Samsung as fixed synonyms for full range and limited range. Instead, their "Normal" stands for the range that is "normally" used in either YCbCr or RGB mode. And for YCbCr, the "normal" case (or the ONLY case for that matter) is limited range, and for RGB, the "normal" case is full range. Since there is no "YCbCr full range", you cannot change the "Normal" setting in YCbCr mode, because there is no other case than this "normal" case. In RGB mode however, you can mostly choose between the 2 ranges and are therefore allowed to toggle the option, but since full range is the "normal" case for RGB, the "Normal" setting now stands for full range."

Chamber

love on your sleeve
You're never going to get a true 4K experience with streaming, the bitrate is just too low. I find that a regular blu ray is just as good if not better than anything I have streamed in 4k.
Download some 4k HDR demos to a USB stick to see what the TV can do.

http://demo-uhd3d.com/categorie.php?tag=hdr

Keep in mind Mad Max and Lego Movie ones are an encrypted file format and only work on a Panasonic TV.

No wonder, there is some terrible 4K HDR films on Netflix and Amazon, like truly bad.

Especially with HDR.

I'll echo this. Absolutely do not judge your TV or 4K HDR in general using streamed services.

Rbk_3

I'm so confused. I keep reading contradictory info on this. On Samsung TVs, does HDMI BLACK LEVEL 'Normal' correspond to 0-255 OR to 16-235?

In other words, on Samsung tv's is HDMI Black Level 'Normal' equal to Limited or Full RGB?

https://www.avforums.com/threads/samsung-hdmi-black-level-setting-explanation-required.1766067/

Quote from URL:
"Normal" and "Low" are not used by Samsung as fixed synonyms for full range and limited range. Instead, their "Normal" stands for the range that is "normally" used in either YCbCr or RGB mode. And for YCbCr, the "normal" case (or the ONLY case for that matter) is limited range, and for RGB, the "normal" case is full range. Since there is no "YCbCr full range", you cannot change the "Normal" setting in YCbCr mode, because there is no other case than this "normal" case. In RGB mode however, you can mostly choose between the 2 ranges and are therefore allowed to toggle the option, but since full range is the "normal" case for RGB, the "Normal" setting now stands for full range."

I find it best just to keep HDMI black level on auto and let the TV figure out what the source is outputting.

Entire screen. Playing movies on Xbox One S, so not sure if it's TV or console. Has to be related to the discs though because the dimming/brightening always happens at the same exact spots in the movies.

The issue is not present in the regular bluray versions of the same movies, only the 4K hdr discs.

Does it seem to happen on a dark scene with a bright object on the screen?

Elios83

0V8cN7Ah.jpg

Yes those are crushed blacks and no, you shouldn't get these, it's not a fact of getting used at all. Something is wrong with your settings or (unlikely) in the TV.
Are you sure that you are choosing full RGB explicitly on the PS4? Because 'automatic' might not work.
You should try to make a few trials.
Try to change the HDMI black level setting in your TV from normal to low and see with which settings you're not getting crushed blacks. If you're still getting them try to turn down dynamic contrast (as I said with dynamic contrast set to high blacks become a bit crushed to me as well, that's why I use the medium setting).

Quote from URL:

On this TV normal is full RGB (0-255).
Low is limited RGB.
If you set the console to full RGB and you choose low on the TV you get crushed blacks.

I find it best just to keep HDMI black level on auto and let the TV figure out what the source is outputting.

Don't do that because automatic doesn't work well in detecting the PS4 settings. If I choose automatic with full RGB activated on the console the TV auto selects "low" and I get crushed blacks.
You should always try to see by yourself what happens with different settings, look at the details in dark zones and see if they become black patches,etc

SeanR1221

I did the black square test and squares 1 and 2 almost look identical.

I have the PS4 RGB set to full and the TV black levels set to normal. I tried playing with dynamic contrast and nothing changed :/

Just played with the brightness. Went from 45 to 50 and I could see everything. Lemme try a game

Rbk_3

I have the PS4 RGB set to full and the TV black levels set to normal. I tried playing with dynamic contrast and nothing changed :/

If 1 and 2 are the only ones that look the same, you're not far off. Put the pattern up again and adjust your brightness setting up a few notches.

Elios83

Just played with the brightness. Went from 45 to 50 and I could see everything. Lemme try a game

I'd also try to change HDMI black setting from high to low and see what kind of result you get.
Does it get even darker, or washed out or the issue is fixed?

DeeBatch

HDR+ is essentially artificial HDR for non HDR content. Don't have to use it with HDR UHD Blu ray films. This may explain. http://www.samsung.com/global/tv/news/samsung-announces-hdr-update.html It shouldn't double the refresh rate to 48hz (using 24hz as a standard). It may look odd because settings need to be adjusted.
As for quality, hard to say. Often the film itself is the issue. When I saw Deadpool it was stunning. Warcraft not so much.

Incorrect over on AVS we did many test(all the calibrators) Hdr+ actually adds to the HDR image and does not alter it in a negative way.. So the colours and grading stay as the director intended but HDR+ enhances it .. You can use it on HDR content actually recommended by AVS forums.http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...sung-un65ks9800-ultra-hd-fald-lcd-review.html

bodine1231

I posted this on the Forza HDR thread but I'll put it here in case someone here has this problem.

I believe I found a fix for the Samsung KS models having washed out colors and a dim picture in HDR mode when playing Xbox One S games.

*I'm going to assume you have everything enabled that you should (UHD Color,Smart LED High,etc).

*Go into the xbox one settings and disable HDR.

*Then power off your xbox one (hold the power on the unit for a few seconds).

*Wait for it to shut down fully then turn it back on.

*Go back into settings and enable HDR.

*Launch your game

That did it for me. I could tell immediately when Forza launched that it was working. Before,when I launched the game I could see the picture dim noticeably than the the dashboard and the colors having a faded look. No matter what settings I changed I could not get the colors to pop or the screen from dimming. This worked though,I'm guessing the setting didn't 'take' when I first turned it on.

Hope this helps,took me about 3 hours googling and trying different combinations but I'm glad I finally got it,looks amazing now!

Rbk_3

Don't do that because automatic doesn't work well in detecting the PS4 settings. If I choose automatic with full RGB activated on the console the TV auto selects "low" and I get crushed blacks.
You should always try to see by yourself what happens with different settings, look at the details in dark zones and see if they become black patches,etc

Interesting, I will have to check that out, I haven't noticed any crushed blacks at all. So I should have PS4 set to Full and TV on Normal?

Elios83

Interesting, I will have to check that out, I haven't noticed any crushed blacks at all. So I should have PS4 set to Full and TV on Normal?

Yes, no automatic, neither in the console nor the TV. Run a game, go in a dark zone with many details in shadow and see the differences by yourself.
If I have time I'm going to post a few pictures later ;)

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.

Quote from URL:
People keep referencing this post but it's over three years old. It may have been like that on those Samsung sets, but on current models, FULL = NORMAL and LIMITED = LOW.

Set your PS4 to Limited and your TV to Low.

SeanR1221

Ok I really appreciate all the help. I think I got it!

It was a combination of the PS4 RGB and tv black levels not matching as well as the brightness being a bit too low

Thanks everyone :)

Now I still need to decide on a tv/movie/Netflix picture setting I like 😅😅

tbyggLlh.jpg

So I was going to purchase the LG OLED 6 series but after thoroughly checking out the reviews and the problems people have been experiencing, I may delay the OLED upgrade for a few years until most of that shit gets sorted out. Not worth double the price basically for early adoption.

So now I am considering between the 65" KS8000 and the Sony X850D. They are pretty much the same price but offer little things that the other doesn't. Has anyone had any experience comparing this TV with the X850D? Does the Samsung have any significant pros over the Sony besides input lag?

Rbk_3

People keep referencing this post but it's over three years old. It may have been like that on those Samsung sets, but on current models, FULL = NORMAL and LIMITED = LOW.

That is exactly what the article he linked said

Quote from URL:
and for RGB, the "normal" case is full range. In RGB mode you can mostly choose between the 2 ranges and are therefore allowed to toggle the option, but since full range is the "normal" case for RGB, the "Normal" setting now stands for full range."

MazeHaze

Banned
So I was going to purchase the LG OLED 6 series but after thoroughly checking out the reviews and the problems people have been experiencing, I may delay the OLED upgrade for a few years until most of that shit gets sorted out. Not worth double the price basically for early adoption.

So now I am considering between the 65" KS8000 and the Sony X850D. They are pretty much the same price but offer little things that the other doesn't. Has anyone had any experience comparing this TV with the X850D? Does the Samsung have any significant pros over the Sony besides input lag?

I owned the 850d for two weeks before exchanging it for the ks8000. The KS8000 is the better set hands down, and it's not even close. The IPS panel in the Sony can't display black, so all blacks look grey and the contrast is very poor, making any dark scene in movies and games look terrible and washed out. As you can imagine, HDR looks like hot ass as a result. Don't waste your money on the Sony, it sucks.

Rbk_3

Yes, it is no contest. Only thing the Sony has on the KS8000 is slightly better motion and a better vewing angle cause it's IPS, but because it is IPS it will have many more negatives. . HDR gaming is impossible on the Sony due to the HDR input lag.

pros on the KS8000
Much better blacks: 0.016 cd/m2 vs 0.084 cd/m2
Much better contrast ratio due to the Sony being IPS panel: 6906 : 1 vs 1248 : 1
Much better HDR due to peak brightness: 1472 cd/m2 vs 422 cd/m2
Much less light bleed issues.
Wider color gamut
1/5th the input lag in HDR

Read the rtings reviews on both

http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x850d
http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ks8000

I owned the 850d for two weeks before exchanging it for the ks8000. The KS8000 is the better set hands down, and it's not even close. The IPS panel in the Sony can't display black, so all blacks look grey and the contrast is very poor, making any dark scene in movies and games look terrible and washed out. As you can imagine, HDR looks like hot ass as a result. Don't waste your money on the Sony, it sucks.

i also returned the x850d after 2 weeks

on top of what he mentioned, input lag in 4k/hdr is just shy of 95 ms. even if you aren't sensitive to input lag you will notice that a lot, that is terrible

the samsung ks line has the lowest input lag for any 4k/hdr tvs so far

iMax

Rbk_3

It's absolutely fine. Just played through all of Alien Isolation on it on PS4.

Yeah its perfectly fine. It was just one or two guys on AVS causing a big ruckus.

As I mentioned in another thread, I am coming from a high end Plasma and have no issues with the motion.

MazeHaze

Banned
Yeah its perfectly fine. It was just one or two guys on AVS causing a big ruckus.

As I mentioned in another thread, I am coming from a high end Plasma and have no issues with the motion.

Yeah, I feel like all that just stems from the fact that 30fps games inherently have a lot of post processing motion blur to make movement look less jerky, and on super nice tvs the picture is so crisp that this is more noticeable.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

Rbk_3

Nope

from Amazon.com

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C5TFNSM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

sent it to my friends place, its NAFTA certified

so worst case he might have to pay $316CAD at the custom, but he is going to say its for his personal use. He is just brining it home for holiday. He commutes every weekend.

Ha interesting. I wonder how that will go.

I would probably just pay it, worst thing would be them seeing through it and having to pay a fine and getting searched every time you cross the border. They will probably check the manufacture date as its right on the TV and see its brand new.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Ha interesting. I wonder how that will go.

I would probably just pay it, worst thing would be them seeing through it and having to pay a fine and getting searched every time you cross the border. They will probably check the manufacture date as its right on the TV and see its brand new.

No lie or hiding, he will tell them straight up its his. And for him, that he will take back and forth. He will be on a break for a month.

Even on the bill I put his name.

So if they still make him pay, he will pay. I just hope it doesn't go that route though lol

$1800 USD is $2400 CAD. But I am willing to pay extra $330 CAD w.e.

this TV better be fucking worth it LOL

Rbk_3

No lie or hiding, he will tell them straight up its his. And for him, that he will take back and forth. He will be on a break for a month.

Even on the bill I put his name.

So if they still make him pay, he will pay. I just hope it doesn't go that route though lol

$1800 USD is $2400 CAD. But I am willing to pay extra $330 CAD w.e.

this TV better be fucking worth it LOL

If it works that is an amazing price. My 55 almost came to that with tax when it was $600 off.........

If you would have been able to do the perks at work thing from a few weeks ago, you could have gotten it even lower, just under 2k CND.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

Especially with HDR.
The Man in the High Castle was what I was watching.
But yeah I see that now.

0V8cN7Ah.jpg
That shit right there is why I've had two TV's since owning a PS4, I had that problem with my Sammy along with blue ghosting with dark blacks that moves fast and everyone was saying no Sammy are the best PQ etc.
No problem on my Sony, best thing to do is switch everything off.

But yeah I see that now.

Tbh it's not even just restricted to 4K and HDR, Netflix and Amazon have a lot of low budget shit (as in the production values) and it really shows, just when you think this looks great, a dark scene kicks in and it looks grey! And it has nothing to do with LCD black levels, just a pile of shit recording.

iKhayal18

I have a 55KS8000, and it won't connect to my router. Any suggestions? Every other device I have works no problem, including my OLED65EP.

I've also had the same issue with my KS7000 (Europe model, KS8000 in USA). It connects to my router but when I turn the TV off and then I turn it on again (normally the day after) it just doesn't connect to the router (well, actually it seems to connect, but the assigned IP is not correct or something like that). I have to go to the setup again, and re-link it to the router... Really strange, I haven't had that issue with any other device (my router is a CISCO EA6500).

Otherwise, I haven't had any issue with the TV. It looked great with the default settings. The only thing that it's getting hard for me to get used to is the sense of "accelerated" motion that it has. It's as if it was 60fps and my old TV was 30fps. I guess that since I'm coming from a 1080i TV, I have missed lots of advancements and technologies in TVs and that's how it is now, but it's as if the speed of movies and TV shows was 2X.

I bought the 55" KS7000, which is HUGE for 1300€ here in Europe. The KS8000, which if I'm not wrong only has better speakers and some local dimming improvements was 500€ more, and I think it was too much for those minor differences...

SeanR1221

But yeah I see that now.

That shit right there is why I've had two TV's since owning a PS4, I had that problem with my Sammy along with blue ghosting with dark blacks that moves fast and everyone was saying no Sammy are the best PQ etc.
No problem on my Sony, best thing to do is switch everything off.
Switch what off? The RGB can't be turned off

hookurs

I've also had the same issue with my KS7000 (Europe model, KS8000 in USA). It connect to my router but when I turn the TV off and then I turn it on again (normally the day after) it just doesn't connect to the router (well, actually it seems to connect, but the assigned IP is not correct or something like that). I have to go to the setup again, and re-link it to the router... Really strange, I haven't had that issue with any other device (my router is a CISCO EA6500).

Otherwise, I haven't had any issue with the TV. It looked great with the default settings. The only thing that it's getting hard for me to get used to is the sense of "accelerated" motion that it has. It's as if it was 60fps and my old TV was 30fps. I guess that since I'm coming from a 1080i TV, I have missed lots of advancements and technologies in TVs and that's how it is now, but it's as if the speed of movies and TV shows was 2X.

I bought the 55" KS7000, which is HUGE for 1300€ here in Europe. The KS8000, which if I'm not wrong only has better speakers and some local dimming improvements was 500€ more, and I think it was too much for those minor differences...

Noticed the same problem here too! Just ignored it for now.. hmmm what is going on?

iKhayal18

Noticed the same problem here too! Just ignored it for now.. hmmm what is going on?

Glad to know I'm not the only one. We were still keeping the box as I don't know if this is normal or just a defective unit...

Let's see if someone can shed more light on this issue...

Rbk_3

Yes those are crushed blacks and no, you shouldn't get these, it's not a fact of getting used at all. Something is wrong with your settings or (unlikely) in the TV.
Are you sure that you are choosing full RGB explicitly on the PS4? Because 'automatic' might not work.
You should try to make a few trials.
Try to change the HDMI black level setting in your TV from normal to low and see with which settings you're not getting crushed blacks. If you're still getting them try to turn down dynamic contrast (as I said with dynamic contrast set to high blacks become a bit crushed to me as well, that's why I use the medium setting).

On this TV normal is full RGB (0-255).
Low is limited RGB.
If you set the console to full RGB and you choose low on the TV you get crushed blacks.

You were bang on. Auto was crushing the blacks. Confirmed on a test pattern on the PS4 web browser. I know for a fact it wasn't on my old plasma so I assumed it was the same here. Thanks for pointing this out

Edit-maybe not, for actual games it definitely works on AUTO, but it appear in the PS4 home screen? Auto auto is the same as FULL Normal in the games I tested.

Yes, it is no contest. Only thing the Sony has on the KS8000 is slightly better motion and a better vewing angle cause it's IPS, but because it is IPS it will have many more negatives. . HDR gaming is impossible on the Sony due to the HDR input lag.

pros on the KS8000
Much better blacks: 0.016 cd/m2 vs 0.084 cd/m2
Much better contrast ratio due to the Sony being IPS panel: 6906 : 1 vs 1248 : 1
Much better HDR due to peak brightness: 1472 cd/m2 vs 422 cd/m2
Much less light bleed issues.
Wider color gamut
1/5th the input lag in HDR

Read the rtings reviews on both

http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x850d
http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ks8000

i also returned the x850d after 2 weeks

on top of what he mentioned, input lag in 4k/hdr is just shy of 95 ms. even if you aren't sensitive to input lag you will notice that a lot, that is terrible

the samsung ks line has the lowest input lag for any 4k/hdr tvs so far

Thanks for the input. Certainly made narrowing down the choice a lot easier. I assume because of all the reasons mentioned, the KS8000 is much better for watch TV and Movies then as well?

Rainer70

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a 65'' KS9000 from Joe's AV for $1895.00 ($1945 -$50 World Series discount that ends at midnight). They also have the 65'' KS8000 for $1525 (after discount). They both also come with a free wall mount, free shipping, and no tax.

I'm wondering if it's worth it to hop on this deal as the prices are better than Amazon's, and the 65'' 9000 for under $2000 sounds like a great deal. It feels like a poor impulse decision to buy now before Black Friday.

Top Bottom