• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In-depth review of the Samsung KS 8000

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a 65'' KS9000 from Joe's AV for $1895.00 ($1945 -$50 World Series discount that ends at midnight). They also have the 65'' KS8000 for $1525 (after discount). They both also come with a free wall mount, free shipping, and no tax.

I'm wondering if it's worth it to hop on this deal as the prices are better than Amazon's, and the 65'' 9000 for under $2000 sounds like a great deal. It feels like a poor impulse decision to buy now before Black Friday.
I say go for it. You might save a bit more waiting for Black Friday, but you'll also need to deal with door busters, lightning deals and all that other crap. I'd rather pay a bit more and avoid the potential anxiety. :\

bennibop

How is uh850t in comparison

I bought a UH850 3 months ago just go but just got a refund due to a problem with USB ports (tv kept going into store mode if anything plugged in) and dead pixels ( although again related to the USB ports) so I bought the KS8000.

The KS8000 screen quality is far better,HDR is 1000 candles vs 450 candles and lag is 22ms (Samsung) vs 45ms (LG) in HDR mode. So the Samsung wins picture quality, however I miss the UI (webOS) on the UH850 which is fantastic and so easy to use as it works by point and click (think Wii remote) and it support Dolby Vision.

So I would say go to the store and try them both out and see what you can and cant live without. Hope this helps!

greekappi

This might be slightly off topic but does anyone know when a Sony TV will come out with input lag that rivals Samsung?

Sony bests Samsung in every category (to me they just look better, skin tones, reds, much more realistic) except for input lag. Are new models on the horizon to make sure people want to buy their sets to play their magical new PS4 Pro on?

Thanks for the input. Certainly made narrowing down the choice a lot easier. I assume because of all the reasons mentioned, the KS8000 is much better for watch TV and Movies then as well?

if you are sitting at an angle, the sony could be better. the viewing angles are better due to being an IPS panel vs the VA panel in the ks8000

upscaling on both is great

Gitaroo

This might be slightly off topic but does anyone know when a Sony TV will come out with input lag that rivals Samsung?

Sony bests Samsung in every category (to me they just look better, skin tones, reds, much more realistic) except for input lag. Are new models on the horizon to make sure people want to buy their sets to play their magical new PS4 Pro on?

If you don't play fighting game I think 32ms is not a very noticable difference for the x800D compare to the ks8000. I think Sony lower end line up is a much better buy than any Samsung that is lower than ks8000 or non OLED LG. Sony input lag compare to samsung is like Samsung response time compare to sony. KS8000 isnt exactly all win for games neither. Its double image/ghosting problem is very obvious for me personally but that is different between every person.

So I just got an Xbox One S and I can't change HDMI black levels to normal. It's grayed out. How can I fix that. I get crushed blacks. It's annoying.

greekappi

If you don't play fighting game I think 32ms is not a very noticable difference for the x800D compare to the ks8000. I think Sony lower end line up is a much better buy than any Samsung that is lower than ks8000 or non OLED LG. Sony input lag compare to samsung is like Samsung response time compare to sony. KS8000 isnt exactly all win for games neither. Its double image/ghosting problem is very obvious for me personally but that is different between every person.

Interesting, but how are Sony's more high end TVs with input lag in game mode? Like the X940D?

So I just got an Xbox One S and I can't change HDMI black levels to normal. It's grayed out. How can I fix that. I get crushed blacks. It's annoying.

You won't be able to change it if a device supports both low and normal, the TV will do as you tell it, so whatever you choose on xbox the TV will follow.

Leave Xbox on Ltd.

if you are sitting at an angle, the sony could be better. the viewing angles are better due to being an IPS panel vs the VA panel in the ks8000

upscaling on both is great

Nope. Sitting in front. At most it would be like 25 to 35 but even that would be rare in my current living situation. So it all sounds good. Gonna check it out at Best Buy and pull the trigger!

Gitaroo

Interesting, but how are Sony's more high end TVs with input lag in game mode? Like the X940D?

no numbers, rtings didn't review that set, safe to assume it would behave like the x850d, x930d and all the 2015 android tv; since they share the same mediatek soc, X1 processing, and same FW. For Sony, input lag gets worse as you go higher end and higher res, which is ridiculous, consider the kind of money you are paying. Only newer low end models like the x800D, X750D, X700D are around 30+ms in all resolution +hdr and the super duper high end Z9D is around 45ms.

Ellite25

I don't really know where else to ask this but the audio on my tv stopped working but only for my directv. Still works for my PS4 though. I reset my satellite box but now luck. Any ideas what is going on?!

Haines

Banned
55 inch a good panel on this TV?

If anyone has any knowledge if the 55 panel is good to buy I'd appreciate it.

Going to pull the trigger and I've seen people say 55 is the best one and others say that the 3rd party panels are actually better.

So I'm a bit confused and need to get this purchase done.

R0C

I bought a UH850 3 months ago just go but just got a refund due to a problem with USB ports (tv kept going into store mode if anything plugged in) and dead pixels ( although again related to the USB ports) so I bought the KS8000.

The KS8000 screen quality is far better,HDR is 1000 candles vs 450 candles and lag is 22ms (Samsung) vs 45ms (LG) in HDR mode. So the Samsung wins picture quality, however I miss the UI (webOS) on the UH850 which is fantastic and so easy to use as it works by point and click (think Wii remote) and it support Dolby Vision.

So I would say go to the store and try them both out and see what you can and cant live without. Hope this helps!

Bought 49 UH850T Samsung was expensive

Rbk_3

55 inch a good panel on this TV?

If anyone has any knowledge if the 55 panel is good to buy I'd appreciate it.

Going to pull the trigger and I've seen people say 55 is the best one and others say that the 3rd party panels are actually better.

So I'm a bit confused and need to get this purchase done.

There are 2 panels for the 55":. AA02 which is AUO and FA01 which is Samsung.
AA02 is said to have less clouding/ flash lighting but slightly worse viewing angles.

I have the AA02.

Haines

Banned
There are 2 panels for the 55":. AA02 which is AUO and FA01 which is Samsung.
AA02 is said to have less clouding/ flash lighting but slightly worse viewing angles.

I have the AA02.

OK. I'll be stuck with the panel I get. I'll check tho.

I wonder if it's random or by country or something?

Just seen HDTV Test put this review up they are one of the best TV review sites on the internet and provide a really good look into this 4K HDR TV cover many aspects which is important for gamers, so I thought I'd link it for people looking to buy this year.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/ue55ks8000-201609174362.htm

They confirm the HDR Game mode Samsung enabled is legit and not watered down so very impressive 22ms input lag which is pretty much the lowest HDR input lag you'll find on a 4K HDR TV this year I'd say. Also, they go over the bad points of the TV so people looking to buy can make an informed choice.

Edit: UK to US model numbers (Thanks to Volcano)

KS7000=KS8000
KS8000=KS9000
KS9000=KS9500
KS9500=KS9800
That's the same inputlag as my 1080P projector.
Please make the same Projector in 4K Epson.... cheap.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
When I do that the blacks look crushed. Should I change anything else?
Make sure the Xbox is set to output Standard RGB, and set your TVs HDMI Black Level to Low. Full RGB output on XB1 is broken.

Cardon

I was wondering if the 49" version of the Samsung KS8000 as equally good as the 55" and 60" counterparts? Originally I was going to pick up the Sony 4K set that's only $650 give or take, but if the KS8000 is that damn good I may just go ahead with spending the extra $400.

Apologies if this has been asked before, but it's somewhat hard to fully keep up with this thread.

Make sure the Xbox is set to output Standard RGB, and set your TVs HDMI Black Level to Low. Full RGB output on XB1 is broken.

Is there a chance the Xbox One and Samsung TV's have an issue with full RGB? Reason being, I've got a Panasonic HDR set now, Xbox set to full and TV auto, and it's perfect! I had awful trouble with my JS9000.

Rbk_3

I was wondering if the 49" version of the Samsung KS8000 as equally good as the 55" and 60" counterparts? Originally I was going to pick up the Sony 4K set that's only $650 give or take, but if the KS8000 is that damn good I may just go ahead with spending the extra $400.

Apologies if this has been asked before, but it's somewhat hard to fully keep up with this thread.

49" is the same as the 55 and 65. It is the 60" that comes with the one off panel made by Sharp. The 49. 55 and 65 are all the same Samsung or AUO panels.

_RT_

I just got the ks8000 this week and I have a (I think) easy question.

Historically, I've run all equipment (HTPC and PS4) through my receiver for two reasons.
1. Then I only need one HDMI to the tv (cleaner)
2. I use the home theater for my audio.

The connect box throws things off a bit.

I'm fine using the box, but I'm trying to understand what change there are to my audio.
Should I rely on the audio out of the connect box?
Are there any quality issues I will experience?

Meaning ... Old setup
PS4 - HDMI - Receiver - HDMI - TV
I took full advantage of audio.

New setup
PS4 - Connect - Optical - Receiver (for audio anyways)

Curufinwe

Once I get my tax refund I think I'll grab the 55 inch model. It might be around $1,000 by then. I only recently began looking at 4K TVs but the pretty uniform good reviews for the KS8000 and the tiny input lag even when using HDR makes it seem like a safe choice. My current HDTV is a Samsung from 2009, and its served me well.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...-dynamic-range-silver/5034800.p?skuId=5034800

Are there any known issues with it and the PS4 Pro?

Alternative

Neo Member
I'm planning on buying a new 4K HDR TV and the KS8000 seems like the perfect fit.
The 60 inch model is just 200 euros more than the 55 inch here.
However I am not sure if its worth the price since I heard that the viewing angles are worse and bezel is larger than on the 55 inch model.

Is the image quality worse on the 60 inch model? Should I get the 55 inch model instead?

zepharus

Neo Member
I just got the ks8000 this week and I have a (I think) easy question.

Historically, I've run all equipment (HTPC and PS4) through my receiver for two reasons.
1. Then I only need one HDMI to the tv (cleaner)
2. I use the home theater for my audio.

The connect box throws things off a bit.

I'm fine using the box, but I'm trying to understand what change there are to my audio.
Should I rely on the audio out of the connect box?
Are there any quality issues I will experience?

Meaning ... Old setup
PS4 - HDMI - Receiver - HDMI - TV
I took full advantage of audio.

New setup
PS4 - Connect - Optical - Receiver (for audio anyways)

Im in the same boat man. I even bought a new Denon X2300 to go with this setup. Only issue is that I find the KS800 isn't optimal with that one connection from the receiver. Anyone else have input here?

wowzors

Does anyone in this thread have an epp invite I could get? I saw the 65" ks8500 is 1249 currently and am looking to get it for Christmas I can offer a mighty no9 code (punishment?)

My wife got me this TV for Christmas (mad respect, honey) and the first thing I tried was the updated version of the Vanishing of Ethan Carter in 4k. I damn near cried, it's so beautiful.

axb2013

After 3 months of ownership, I have no complaints except for the remote. It needs a pedestal or a dedicated spot on a flat surface. It loves to flip over on it's sides and execute input changes in the process, my favorite is when it switches to OTA channels and then refuses to detect the PC input, which I use the TV for exclusively.

I thought I was done after calibrating based on rtings settings with passing all lagom.nl tests and installing ambient lights but that was only true for desktop usage.

MPC-HC & madvr changed my life.

I have hated physical media since the CD days yet I have no issues jumping through all the hoops to just play my library through the player, the payoff is that good.

I'm lucky with having a relatively powerful desktop and two 980ti's, I crashed a few laptops and desktops when I tried using the best enhancement algorithms on weaker hardware.

The best 4K upscaling settings are demanding but the quality beats the TV's internal upscaling which is more than decent already.

Getting all of this calibrated and setup was a costly, time consuming and tedious work at times but it allowed the TV to perform at it's best and it certainly has. I don't even regret not waiting a few weeks for a BF discount. There are cheaper TV's out there and there are OLED's but none quite hit the price/performance ratio, especially when PC input is a major purchase factor.

Top Bottom