• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In honor of Final Fantasy's 25th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

I spent 120+ hours on FFTA2 ;_;

*checks A2 file from two years ago*

386 hours. Pretty sure I win a prize for that.

---

Made it to Tomra in FF IV. Upgraded Cecil to all Diamond equipment. Diamonds are a guy-who-looks-like-a-girl's best friend. I wanna go through the Feymarch, but I think I'm severely underleveled for that. For one, Rosa doesn't know Reflect yet. ;-;

I wish the Gold Hairpin was as awesome as it is in VI, though. Fuck yeah, Halved-MP usage!

stupei

Hit my first major stumbling block in FF3. I made it to the surface world and found the water Crystal but the boss fight there kicked my ass. Seems like there isn't anywhere to replenish HP and MP nearby either, so grinding is only going to wear down my reserves of spells and/or potions.

Am I missing a place to go heal?

Natetan

It's not really even like the game is hard now, it's just obnoxious. When I get into a fight with eight guys, get ambushed, all of them cast stupid status effect spells with high hit rates, they all go before my guys do in the turn, and I can't run away because apparently it is literally impossible to run away in this game, it's not actually hard because they still can't really kill me very effectively*, it's just annoying sitting there waiting through all of it, and then afterwards some other dumb monster that steals 32 MP per hit from my guys shows up and it's just like WHAT UP.

I've never played the "easier" version before, and when I played the original version it was a fan translation of the WSC version like ten years ago and I did exactly that, power-grinding and buying fancy weapons in Mysidia right upfront. This time I'm trying to play it as God intended!

*Except when they cast "Break VII" and it petrifies my entire party immediately, like they did just now. Megaten'd in a Final Fantasy game!

It's the first major RPG fan-translation. It's functional at best, shitty and inaccurate at worst. Compared to the scintillating Advance translation it's like Grade D Generic Fud.

Ha, another cheap thing you can do at least on the iOS version, if you get into a fight you don't like, close and reopen the game with restart. The next step you take will be a battle but it can be an easier one generally. It's how I avoided the blind spell for the majority of the early game and avoided getting stoned from the cockatrices around mysidia!

Ultratech

Hit my first major stumbling block in FF3. I made it to the surface world and found the water Crystal but the boss fight there kicked my ass. Seems like there isn't anywhere to replenish HP and MP nearby either, so grinding is only going to wear down my reserves of spells and/or potions.

Am I missing a place to go heal?

You could always fly back to the Floating Continent. I forget if there is a place nearby to restore you though.
Should be something to restore you in the Water Temple.

MechaX

Now that I can't agree with. The Anthologies translation is an affront to God.

My memory of the Anthologies translation must be really slipping if it is that bad. You make it sound Breath of Fire II bad. I wish I could find a non-bad LP video of anthologies up.

My memory of the Anthologies translation must be really slipping if it is that bad. You make it sound Breath of Fire II bad. I wish I could find a non-bad LP video of anthologies up.

Wyvern -> Y Burn: You be the judge.

I find it very hard to recommend the anthologies version when the advance version exists, except potentially in such cases that one is perhaps allergic to GBA cartridges.

Psxphile

And I (re)started FFIII DS. Just because. I'm still in the middle of FFIV: Interlude but I really want to give the former another shot. I just hate it when I get bogged down in Jobs later in the game and suddenly I can't make up my mind who should master what (the same issue killed my interest in FF5 several times before the GBA version and its glorious localization). Fortunately most Jobs in FFIII are direct upgrades of previous ones (Warrior -> Knight) so I only need to decide from a smaller pool of Jobs as I go on.

Still don't like having to wait 1 hour each time I send a letter through Mognet.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Just beat FF1... onto FF2!

I'm pretty excited for this weekend, I'm going home and I'm bringing back my PS2 + all my PS1/2 games which includes FF7-9 and 12, FF Anthologies and Chronicles, KH 2, and DQ8 among others.

Starting to enjoy FF2 more again now that I've gotten to another part where every single battle isn't SLEEP VIII BLIND IV SWAP VI OSMOSE III zzzzzzzzzzz

banner said:
SQUARE ENIX Final Fantasy XIII - Free Shipping on eligible orders over $25! $14.92 - Barnes & Noble

Bird-B-Gone Bird Control - Low Cost, High Quality Bird Control Products That Work. Guaranteed! BirdBGone.com/GetRidofPestBirds

Google Ads hates chocobos :(

mudkyp

Finally beat FF3 on the DS which is the only main line entry that I hadn't beaten. Good way to celebrate 25 years of Final Fantasy. Almost done replaying 4 and XIII-2 was just platinumed today. Think its time to finally plow through Tactics Advanced 2. Or maybe replay VI.

Ultratech

Been playing FF2 on my GBA. Kinda doing a normal run for once (i.e. zero to minimal grinding). But I did hop on over to Mysidia early on to pick up Thief Gauntlets, Holy, and an Ogrekiller axe. I love breaking the game like that. :D

Originally, I was gonna specialize my characters for this run. With Firion (Fry) the Black Mage, Maria (Marty) the Warrior/Beserker, and Guy (Gus) the White Mage. Except that ended up being kinda boring. So now they're just whatever. (Marty was originally going to have no Magic, but I ended up giving her Blink and Blizzard.) At least they're all well-rounded in weapon skills at this point. They're also naked save for Weapons/Shields and Accessories. Armor is for chumps. We'll see how that works out later on...

Anywho, I just finished getting the damn Sunfire, so I suppose it's off to the Dreadnaught next.

Aeana

Started a bit of FF4 last night. Since my friend was over, I switched it to English for his sake at the start, so that's why it's Japenglish in the first set.

Anyway, this post will begin "Hold O to Win: FF4 Edition"

BkpInl.jpg
Eoqvjl.jpg

I held O to win.

oNz5Jl.jpg

This girl said she hates me and then attacked me with Titan. No matter how hard I held O, I couldn't win.

XkgK9l.jpg
ZIVI0l.jpg

I held O to win again.

Next time on "Hold O to Win," I will most likely hold O, and win.

Aeana

What am I missing here? I suspect FFIV is so stupidly easy you just "Hold O to win"?

Yes, it's ridiculously easy.
That's why I prefer the DS version - it was balanced so you actually have to strategize. But I'm playing on PSP so I can take screenshots, and because I got it so I might as well play it at least once.

After the grinding break, we're headed to Drakenvale. Galuf issues an order that almost makes sense at the time.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_19-5.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_03-9.png

Except a little town in a mountain pass is in the way.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_12-6.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_04-9.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_05-7.png

Kelger is less than happy to see us.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_07-3.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_08-7.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_13-3.png

But fails to put up a real fight.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_10-7.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_20-5.png

Anyhow, passage through the town obtained, with a bonus!
FinalFantasyVAdvance_36-4.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_37-5.png

Drakenvale is the home of the powerful armor Bone Mail, which has the downside of making your character essentially undead. Given that my primary healing is white wind (which is NOT reversed on undead) and drains (Vampire stays good the entire game), this is quite useful for this party.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_40-4.png

Drakenvale is also reaching the point in the game where summoners go from good to great. Saving Golem grants the ability to summon him, and he protects the party from physical attacks (for the next 2000 or so damage).
FinalFantasyVAdvance_43-2.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_45-2.png

Which is used immediately on the boss. This boss is odd, as the main plant has no real attacks. The flowers it spawns all use weak physical attacks with added status effects, which are blocked completely by Golem.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_53-1.png

Or they would be, if Titan didn't clear the field of flowers every turn. No opposing attacks were even seen.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_55.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_58.png

Returning to Bal:
FinalFantasyVAdvance_61-1.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_62-1.png

Oops.

StuBurns

Banned
I started FF7 today, first time I've played it in over a decade, only played the first hour, but it still surprisingly impacting. Such a high energy start. While I don't think it's the best of the series, that opening was, and is still, very strong.

I played a couple of hours of 8 a week ago, and probably won't go back, so I don't know if I will with 7, but it was really nice to play it again, I know it's the nostalgia, but it still feels special.

I wish it had analogue controls though.

Aeana

Isn't the PSP version "Press Select Once to Win"?

Oh.
I actually had no idea they added auto battle to the PSP version. And it seems to obey previous selections, so yeah, that'll make this go even faster. I will amend the title of future posts.

Heropon

C1ZxP.png

vhK5k.png
86NHh.png

The world was at peace but an evil empire appeared. This little town was so dangerous that the Emperor had to attack it personally.

S6Cce.png
9ABFu.png

The protagonists visit the Game Over screen a little early.

0IWQ2.png
iYspQ.png

They are lucky, the insurgence resistance against the Evil Empire™ rescues 3/4 of them. Their first mission as members of the rebel army is to retrieve information from Fynn, their home town.

Let's buy some magics and weapons. Maria wonders why she had a bow. It's tempting to equip everyone with two weapons but one is already overkill to most enemies, so I equip shields (+evasion => +agility => -ambushes, well, I lie, this game has sooooo many ambushes...).

LmYfW.png
Rtddv.png
IHzwi.png

Thanks to their complex encryption system, the group manages to contact with Scott, a prince of Kashuan. He is the first person to increase the death counter (1). He gives a ring.

iPIDx.png
hpcKW.png

The party reports the results. Mission complete!
Next Mission: Retrieve the mythril from the Semitt falls.
-Resources: A white mage, a canoe.
-Optional: Rescue slaves.

NfFtk.png
pKL4P.png

The nearest town to the Semitt falls is the sunny Salamand, that has the Life and Teleport spells. Inside the Semitt falls cave, they find a group of prisoners and save them (+0 points). The next objective is the mythril.

bvsNH.png
Pvnpk.png

Who is guarding something as important as the mythril? A dark knight? No, a vulnerable sargeant. The party doesn't try with physical attacks and goes with the spells. Mission complete!

h7iBw.png
hMvm2.png

Thanks to the mission the party can buy mythril weapons.

StuBurns

Banned
I have a technical question about FF7. Why do the characters look as bad as they do? The battle encounters are fully 3D, with much better looking character models. If anything, I'd have expected better looking characters over the 2D art and simplified stuff in battles.

I have a technical question about FF7. Why do the characters look as bad as they do? The battle encounters are fully 3D, with much better looking character models. If anything, I'd have expected better looking characters over the 2D art and simplified stuff in battles.

That's what I hate about FF7. On the field, the characters look like ass, but in the battles they look fine. Then there is a third version of them in the cutscenes. The game really needs a remake.

Whaaaaa??

Jailbreak + emulators?

Yup. SNES EX is free, and I still have the original cart, so... :)

The fun thing is, I keep forgetting to go back to it, but then this thread reminds me to start it back up again. I wrapped up Terra/Edgar/Banon's section of getting to Narshe, then started up Sabin's section. Just got to the Phantom Forest with Cyan and Shadow, time to go ride the Dooooooomtraaaaaain!

Also, Aurabolt can be difficult to do with a virtual d-pad, and I'm surrounded by ghosts :(

Vodh

It took me a few years to realise those were not hooves or placeholders for hands, but GLOVES. Yeah, they look bad. Still the favourite FF for me, and nothing looks like it's gonna change.

Ultratech

Also, Aurabolt can be difficult to do with a virtual d-pad, and I'm surrounded by ghosts :(

You do know there's sometimes two different ways to perform most of Sabin's Blitzes?
For example, you can do Aurabolt like:

Command: Down, Down-Left, Left

-OR-

Command: Down, Down, Left

Most of the other Blitzes with mixed commands like Down + Left can be performed just by replacing Down+Left with either Down or Left (so you also do Aurabolt like Down, Left, Left).

You do know there's sometimes two different ways to perform most of Sabin's Blitzes?
For example, you can do Aurabolt like:

Command: Down, Down-Left, Left

-OR-

Command: Down, Down, Left

Most of the other Blitzes with mixed commands like Down + Left can be performed just by replacing Down+Left with either Down or Left (so you also do Aurabolt like Down, Left, Left).

whoa WHAT? I never knew this. awesome, thanks.

since this is a general FF thread in honor of the anniversary I have a question (that I don't expect anyone here to be able to answer):

Final Fantasy VI. Anyone that's played it is familiar with the Blackjack (airship) theme:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v91UBqtsVqE

There's a section of the song that has a part of Gau's theme in it. Why in the hell out of all of the characters does that wild little shiteating crazy kid get part of his theme in the airship theme?

Just seems bizarre to me. For his whole life that animal-humping freeloader probably just thought airships were birds.

Fuck off, Gau.

Aeana

since this is a general FF thread in honor of the anniversary I have a question (that I don't expect anyone here to be able to answer):

Final Fantasy VI. Anyone that's played it is familiar with the Blackjack (airship) theme:

There's a section of the song that has a part of Gau's theme in it. Why in the hell out of all of the characters does that wild little shiteating crazy kid get part of his theme in the airship theme?

Just seems bizarre to me. For his whole life that animal-humping freeloader probably just thought airships were birds.

Fuck off, Gau.

I think it's a case of Uematsu ripping himself off without realizing it. He's done it many other times! Check out the song that plays in the background of the AWAY site and see if it sounds familiar after a while.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

Fuck off, Gau.

Never consciously noticed that. I did recognize the melody woven in there, but I just thought of it as a reference to the game's overall soundtrack.. but it is indeed Gau's theme..

I agree with Aeana that it could be unconscious use of the same melody.

Goli

That's what I hate about FF7. On the field, the characters look like ass, but in the battles they look fine. Then there is a third version of them in the cutscenes. The game really needs a remake.

Well, it's a pretty common practice for SE and other companies, even today. FFX, X-2, XII, XIII, KH, KH2, BbS and many more all have three models for each character too, one for fields and battles which has a way less detailed face and hair generally, one for in engine cutscenes with higher quality textures and more detailed facial features and then there's the CG ones. Worst part is sometimes the three models look like three completely different people, this is specially noticeable in X-2. I'm really hoping the next generation allows developers to not have/want to do that anymore... in fact, I was hoping this generation to rid itself of CG/anime cutscenes but it wasn't the case.

But why are the lowest poly ones in what is seemingly the lowest technically demanding aspect of FF7?

i started 7 and 10 recently and was wondering this too. it feels like with pre-rendered backgrounds in 7 they would be able to have the higher polygon models on field rather then the higher polygon models only in battle. maybe there are some technical aspects i'm missing?

Natetan

One other tip for FF2, the ancient sword is awesome since it inflicts the curse status. Curse will take even most bosses with strong defense and attack into total whimper. Never sell it! You can switch in weapons during battle so no need to prepare before a fight or feel stuck with it during a fight.

Heropon

One other tip for FF2, the ancient sword is awesome since it inflicts the curse status. Curse will take even most bosses with strong defense and attack into total whimper. Never sell it! You can switch in weapons during battle so no need to prepare before a fight or feel stuck with it during a fight.

I didn't know this. I forgot to get it and now I'm in the Mysidian Tower, so I think I'll pass. I suppose I'll give it a try the next time.

Well, I agree with it. RPGe's translation is terrible, and leaves a lot of stuff in Japanese for no reason.

I thought there were a couple good lines in there. And it certainly couldn't be as bad as the Anthology version. Y Burn = worst Engrish ever.

Natetan

I didn't know this. I forgot to get it and now I'm in the Mysidian Tower, so I think I'll pass. I suppose I'll give it a try the next time.

No worries. It's more helpful on the psp added content part anyway. You pick it up an ancient sword in a chest pretty early. Enemies there are really strong so pulling down their defense and offense to near zero is really helpful, more so than in the original game section (although it is very helpful to have in jade pandamonium end game areas

Aeana

I thought there were a couple good lines in there. And it certainly couldn't be as bad as the Anthology version. Y Burn = worst Engrish ever.

I don't think the dialog and enemy names/etc. were translated by the same person. And the dialog certainly received more editing. Honestly, pirate Faris aside, the PSX dialog translation is serviceable.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I'm finally done with my XIII-2 platinum (really enjoyed it), so back to FF III.

XcWtq.png
4N9Gb.png

Didn't know where to go anymore. So first thing, I sailed right into the fight with Nepto. Of course it didn't go well, but at least I managed to damage him a little bit, for the satisfaction.

ph9P0.png

Back on the right track. Another dungeon where you have to use Mini. Okay, I got lazy and just went in without changing any jobs. So basically a White Mage and a Black Mage. My Fighter and Monk were pretty much useless.

fegtV.png
Xbg9V.png

Annihilated again. Maybe I should take the time to properly prepare for the dungeon. As always: loving the death sprites.

i3ZBf.png

So I added two Black Mages and bought the level 1 and 2 attack magic available in the viking hideout. As they're fresh new Mages they tend to miss a lot, though. Better than not being able to do anything, I guess.

yJ263.png
ifm4c.png

This went a whole lot better. Still, I really don't like this type of dungeon, at least it's really short.

6pqdl.png

Finally I can properly use the ship.

3hX9N.png
lOx4E.png

I had no idea where to go next, though. It even took me quite a while to realize I don't have to look for docks in this game. So I arrived at this castle, got the treasure and felt like a king. Nothing to do here, though.

3CsM5.png

Chocobo! Also, there's something swimming in the lake south of me.

pwcQ4.png
v3ieM.png

Finally I know where to go next. Also: You can dual wield staves in FF3, nice!

phDA0.png
Lvnwi.png

This time I have to transform into a bunch of frogs. At least it's just for a few seconds.

E80Xx.png
sxXl3.png

The tower wasn't very hard. My biggest problem was my short supply of cure magic and potions. Two more floors and I'd have been in serious trouble.

H6vIV.png
E8yTA.png

Medusa's mostly used Break, which never once hit me, the battle was pretty easy because of that.

SOAQz.png

The writing's at least on par with FF IV. (I guess the Japanese original won't be much better)

lL7DK.png
Qms1K.png

Stopped playing right after the tower. The whirl has gone, so at least I know where to go this time. This playthrough reminds me that I remember almost nothing of the DS version, I really shouldn't be stuck that often.

Playing through FFIV right now, I am only in the beginning, when Cecil is in the cavern with the girl summoner and the wizard, I think his name is Rydia? Does this games battle balance ever get better, I find that I am stomping enemies, but getting nowhere. There are zombies in the cavern that come in groups of 4. I guess what I am asking is, does the game pick up at all and get any better in terms of fights? I have played other FF's and I do not remember ever having so much trouble in the beginning sticking with it.

Aeana

Playing through FFIV right now, I am only in the beginning, when Cecil is in the cavern with the girl summoner and the wizard, I think his name is Rydia? Does this games battle balance ever get better, I find that I am stomping enemies, but getting nowhere. There are zombies in the cavern that come in groups of 4. I guess what I am asking is, does the game pick up at all and get any better in terms of fights? I have played other FF's and I do not remember ever having so much trouble in the beginning sticking with it.

Rydia is the little girl. Tellah is the wizard.
And no, FF4 is pretty much the easiest FF game, and it's the only FF game that doesn't have any form of character progression system. It's why it's one of my least favorites. The DS version fixes the balance issues and progression issues, though, and I'm quite a big fan of that version.

Psxphile

I always hit both the Sylph cave and the Feymarch first before going to get the Dark Crystal. I do this, despite the fact that the enemies in both are a bit more ruthless than what you'll find in the Sealed Cave.

Suairyu

Banned
But why are the lowest poly ones in what is seemingly the lowest technically demanding aspect of FF7?
Because they were still in SNES-sprite mode when it came to characters and writing. Like, you take those battle models and put them in the world and none of the jokes or animations would work well at all.

Even if VII got remade, they'd need to keep the chibi-style for outside of battles or it wouldn't be authentic VII at all.

Now, they could definitely use more polygons to make those chibi-style models look better, like they do in the FMVs that use that artstyle.

Top Bottom