• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In honor of Final Fantasy's 25th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

Heropon

Previously on Final Fantasy: Hero, THIEF, Serah and Riku discover that there are three more fiends waiting to be destroyed. In the way to the next one they end up in the ice cave, that contains a levistone. With it, the four characters get an airship.

Chapter 4: The promotion.

5NqPm.png
Gp2yQ.png

Our heroes continued to be lost and they went to a strange building. Inside, they met an old man. These trials must be pretty tough!

sY11d.png
FZ52q.png

The first trial seems to be a series of teleports. Thanks to their orientation they get lost. After tries and tries they end that part. And that was it, there weren't more trials. Their prize was a rat's tail. How can this be the prize? No auction house would want this!

x7mcZ.png
zTYBL.png

Their next journey takes them to a settlement full of friendly dragons. The four meanies took all their treasure in thanks for their hospitality.

azY2g.png
azULV.png

In one of the rooms awaited Bahamut, the legendary dragon. He tells them the rat's tail was the symbol of their courage (I don't know, but that sounds like an insult) and promotes them. They are now Hero the paladin, THIEF the ninja (no more green :( ), Serah the white wizard and Riku the red wizard. The first thing they do is buying magics for Hero and THIEF.

oUQ7q.png

At last, they arrive at the volcano. Thanks to their new jobs, the group crushes the volcano's monsters.

knovH.png
KqXwQ.png

In the depths of the volcano Marilith awaits.

zn5OR.png
HqRyz.png

The fight is a breeze thanks to the strength of Hero and THIEF, Serah's cures and Riku's support spells.

7g5Bt.png

The fire crystal shines again.

*AHEM*

When we last left our heroes, They were jumping into a portal to worlds unknown.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_23-4.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_28-1.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_30-2.png

With no form of transportation off of this rock, the game drops some incredibly subtle hints. If you kill enough of these, the hints stop being subtle.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_31-3.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_32-2.png

During the mandatory rest, the predictable thing happens. The chest left behind? A trap.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_33-2.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_34-3.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_35-3.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_37-4.png

With most of the party captured by minions of Exdeath, it's up to the remaining one to get them out. three cheers for Galuf the... bard?
FinalFantasyVAdvance_38-1.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_40-2.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_42-1.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_43-1.png

After confusing to death everything not named Gilgamesh, and using missile for a quick win on that fight, the party is rescued!
FinalFantasyVAdvance_44.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_45-1.png

Unfortunately, Gilgamesh greets the party while they make their collective escape across the Big Bridge. (Obligatory music goes here.) With no way to strip him of his protect/shell/haste combo, this battle takes an annoying amount of time (and ran Faris completely out of MP), but isn't really that difficult.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_48.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_50-1.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_57-1.png

When all that's over, the party lands in points unknown. For parties with proper mages, the level 4 spells are in the town near here.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_60.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_62.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_63.png

How will our heroes get back to proper civilization? Find out next time!

Anteater

Didn't really have much time playing, getting ready for Iifa Tree in FFIX! I forgot you needed to do the friendly monsters in order, I wonder if I have missed one... oh well.

Entropia

No One Remembers
My Final Fantasy 1 Party: Fighter, Ninja, White Mage, Black Mage - kinda plain and boring :<

The GBA game has some nice changes, has a much better look and feel to it. I just got my canoe! Heading to the Volcano.

Aeana

Allllmost done with 13-2 now, so I'll be starting 4 in a little bit. I haven't decided on version yet, though. I can't take screenshots of the game on DS. :(

Aeana

I suppose it's a coin toss between GBA and PSP. SNES USA version isn't "complete" and I can't imagine how is the Playstation one.

Edit: I loved your FFIII playthrough.

Super Famicom version is also an option, as is WSC which I think I can do via emu for the sake of screenshots.

EDIT: You know what, I think I'm gonna do WSC, just to give something a bit different to this thread.
EDIT2: Ahhh, I don't know, I still can't decide. Well, I have a bit of time to decide.

Heropon

Super Famicom version is also an option, as is WSC which I think I can do via emu for the sake of screenshots.

How many options. I'm starting to think there will be a 3DS version of FFIV before one of FFV (I NEED a FFV remake).

WSC could be interesting.

I'm discovering as I go through screenshots that I'm having a hard time filtering out spoilers for this game. I've simply run through it enough (and seen others do the same in the fiesta threads) that I don't remember which parts are supposed to be a surprise anymore.

Anyway, more of World 2.
Wandering across the map from Regole, the party discovers a forest, and a strange creature.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_06-6.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_07-2.png

One short fall through a cave later, there's a boss fight. I have no idea what this boss actually does, since the answer is always "Dies to a Phoenix Down".
FinalFantasyVAdvance_08-5.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_12-4.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_14-1.png

Coming out of the cave, the moogle shows you a path to the nearby forest. Ignoring it results in this:
FinalFantasyVAdvance_16-3.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_17-4.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_19-4.png

One reload later, the party reaches the moogle village, where some strange things happen.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_21-5.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_23-5.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_24-2.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_25-1.png

And one rescue later, they end up in Bal, Galuf's hometown.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_28-2.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_29-4.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_41-1.png

CaLe

Gaffers, beings of infinite knowledge, enlighten me:

I recently purchased a Vita and I'm on a PSP games binge. I decided that now would be a good time to revisit some Final Fantasy games that were released on the PSP and marvel at their beauty on the Vita's orgasmic OLED screen.

With that said, how... "playable" are the old school FF games for someone that has been spoiled by "modern" RPGs ?

I'm mostly interested in Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection. Is the game still very much enjoyable, regardless of the "outdated" mechanics ? Which other Final Fantasy would you also recommend that I get ?

Regards,
Noob with fond memories of FF VI

randomkid

The notorious turn order bug from the GBA version is also in the WSC version, although it isn't quite as bad.

It's funny, I remember seeing that big list of bugs someone compiled (I think it was Segata?) and thinking, this is what people have been freaking out about? It was such a minor, easily ignorable part of the experience for me, I could never figure out how a few rare bugs that just make the game easier led to so many histrionics (giving charlequin the side-eye here). We're not talking about PSX FFVI here! Who plays FFIV vanilla for its deep mechanical complexity anyways? I'm just sayin'.

Aeana

It's funny, I remember seeing that big list of bugs someone compiled (I think it was Segata?) and thinking, this is what people have been freaking out about? It was such a minor, easily ignorable part of the experience for me, I could never figure out how a few rare bugs that just make the game easier led to so many histrionics (giving charlequin the side-eye here). We're not talking about PSX FFVI here! Who plays FFIV vanilla for its deep mechanical complexity anyways? I'm just sayin'.

Okay, you can play it then.

It's funny, I remember seeing that big list of bugs someone compiled (I think it was Segata?) and thinking, this is what people have been freaking out about? It was such a minor, easily ignorable part of the experience for me, I could never figure out how a few rare bugs that just make the game easier led to so many histrionics (giving charlequin the side-eye here).

What! It's true that I don't recommend the GBA version of IV (especially not now when a bug-free version of the original-design FFIV is available on PSP) but I'm pretty confident I only go into histrionics about how bad the PSX versions are. (And they deserve it!) I bought IV on GBA the day it came out and the bugs didn't bother me enough to keep me from finishing it.

(I may have slightly oversold the problems with the FF6 GBA soundtrack in this thread, but that's more of a personal taste issue.)

With that said, how... "playable" are the old school FF games for someone that has been spoiled by "modern" RPGs ?

Especially in their most recent incarnations, the older FFs have every convenience one might want and stand up quite well on a gameplay level. FF1 and 2 are pretty "sparse" in terms of story and exploration, if that sort of thing matters to you; FF4 isn't a tremendously deep game but I still love it to death.

In general, I definitely think FF4 is a game worth playing and pretty much anyone who's enjoyed, say, any of the PSX FFs should be able to enjoy it.

randomkid

What! It's true that I don't recommend the GBA version of IV (especially not now when a bug-free version of the original-design FFIV is available on PSP)

But recommending the PSP version is like committing a hate-crime against art. I mean, I know most people don't give a shit, but they should!

(also I got your back on the FFVI music bro, listening to phantom forest GBA right now and shakin my head)

.JayZii

Banned
Just a bit into Pandemonium in FFIX.

I'm really appreciating using Quina and his/her Blue Magic this play through of the game.

Speaking of that, I really would like the next numbered Final Fantasy to have characters with specialized jobs and roles. Straight up, one person is a black mage, one is a dragoon etc etc... but that's all they are.

Just a bit into Pandemonium in FFIX.

I'm really appreciating using Quina and his/her Blue Magic this play through of the game.

Speaking of that, I really would like the next numbered Final Fantasy to have characters with specialized jobs and roles. Straight up, one person is a black mage, one is a dragoon etc etc... but that's all they are.

Have you been leveling up Frog Drop?

I just recently beat FF13, and the last 10 hours were by far the worse of any FF I've played... I collected my thoughts on why it was so bad here if anybody is interested.

But, to the matter at hand. My resolution this year was to beat every main FF (I suppose sequels count) that I haven't before the end of 2012 (and the world!) So, having beat 4, 7, 8, 9, 10, 10-2, and now 13, that leaves me with

FFI
FFII
FFIII
FFV
FFVI
FFXII
FFXIII-2

I've gotten to the end of 5 but didn't finish (the save was on a PS1 mem card that's long since gone), and I got up to the point where FF6 "changes" drastically... without giving spoilers away. That save is also gone. I'm about 5-8 hours into 12, and about 3 hours into a second play through of 6. Also, I've put between 2 and 3 hours into 13-2. My question is, where should I go from here? I'm a bit loathe to play the NES games, but if I must I must. Help me out, GAF.

Randomizer

Bah I shouldn't have played FFVI before the earlier games they all just seem so boring in comparison. I'm actually finding it hard to play any game after it, has this ever happened to you, you play a game so good that nothing else stands up to it so you find it hard to bring yourself to play anything?

I've been listening to nothing but the FFVI soundtrack and covers on youtube the last two days and I'm now fully convinced it's the best soundtrack of the series and possible of all time. Initially when I finished the game I still thought that FFVII was better but a lot of that is due to nostalgia. No other game music invokes such strong feelings of nostalgia for me than the VII soundtrack but I have to say that VI trumps it in almost every way. It's actually inspired me to pick up my keyboard again and learn some of these songs. Most of the character themes have gorgeous melodies and have such a beautiful melancholy sound.

Awakening
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGMeiRCH_n8

Relm's Theme
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhAnxWSQoKo

Gaffers, beings of infinite knowledge, enlighten me:

I recently purchased a Vita and I'm on a PSP games binge. I decided that now would be a good time to revisit some Final Fantasy games that were released on the PSP and marvel at their beauty on the Vita's orgasmic OLED screen.

I'm mostly interested in Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection. Is the game still very much enjoyable, regardless of the "outdated" mechanics ? Which other Final Fantasy would you also recommend that I get ?

Regards,
Noob with fond memories of FF VI

Same question. Getting a Vita next week, PSX games are not yet supported, so the only game I can buy and play is FFIV Complete Collection.

Completed so far:

FFVII
FFVIII
FFIX
FFX
FFXIII

I got like 30% into FFXII and 75% into FFVI. Need to start replaying that.

Suairyu

Banned
Getting the itch to dig out FF VIII for the PC and re-install it. I have it on PSX, but ever since I got the mod community released a mod that installs the PSX soundfonts on the PC, I haven't touched the PSX version. The DVD resolution backgrounds and FMVs make such a difference, especially when coupled with higher resolution rendering on the 3D models.

Been listening to Pray I and II for the past few days, interspersed with the Distant Worlds recording of 'Memoro de la Stono' and 'Maria and Draco'. Had the wonderful opportunity to see both live November just gone. Shivers. Spine. 'The Prelude' on a live harp had just the same effect.

Sat right behind Nobuo Uematsu, too. True story. He was wearing a skull cap. At the intermission, with seconds to go on the last song, an usher ran down next to him and said "leave now or you won't get out".

Anyway, wanted to share with you guys Kanon's cover of the Prelude. I don't think it's an overly well known album, but it's well worth the listen if you can a hold of it. Covers a range of Uematsu's work, not just Final Fantasy, all with Kanon's vocals.

xist

Decided to replay VIII a few days ago....Cursed gaming OCD has made me do a 15 hour grind with Seifer (my other characters dead) to max out the Guardian Forces and draw some high level magic, yet keep my overall level low for as long as possible.

Although it's relatively satisfying killing the X-ATM092, it's not worth that much grind....

Suairyu

Banned
Decided to replay VIII a few days ago....Cursed gaming OCD has made me do a 15 hour grind with Seifer (my other characters dead) to max out the Guardian Forces and draw some high level magic, yet keep my overall level low for as long as possible.

Although it's relatively satisfying killing the X-ATM092, it's not worth that much grind....
I've never done a consciously low-level run. I mean, I generally avoid random encounters other than the draw, but sometimes I just gotta level up my GFs, which requires winning battles, right? I know the X-ATM092, but that also requires a bunch of card grinding before you even get there.

How do people generally stay low level if they're not doing the stupid-boring X-ATM092 method, whilst still leveling up their GFs?

Been playing through IV via the Complete Collection today. God, I loathe the random encounters in this game. And unlike the DS version, there's no way to stop them. >_>

Made the Tower of Babil sooooo annoying. Apart from that, though, I'm really liking the PSP version. Spritework is great, and the spell animations are super awesome to look at. Helps that I've never played the GBA version before, so I'm really looking forward to all of the extra content at the end of the game. :O

My DS copy of III should be arriving tomorrow, so I may play that alongside IV and XIII-2.

xist

How do people generally stay low level if they're not doing the stupid-boring X-ATM092 method, whilst still leveling up their GFs?

Run away from everything until your Quetzalcoatl has learnt the Card Command (Initial SeeD rank be damned...). At that point you just need to be REALLY careful when you fight enemies and make sure that you Card them when they're low on life (gaining AP for your GF's but not EXP for your Characters or GF's)

You also get the Diablos GF early on in the game (just after the Dollet mission) which has the Encounter-Half and None abilities. Realistically for a bare minimum the point would be to Card enough enemies to get Enc-None so you no longer have a problem. Seeing as Boss fights give AP but no EXP you're good from that point, or you can use Scan to ensure that you don't kill anything whilst attempting to Card them.

The real point is to get all the stat boosting abilities that the GF's have and then level your characters for uber bonuses. FF VIII is easy whichever way you look at it because of the level parity between you and your enemy but it's quizically satisfying to actually succeed in totally outdoing your opponent. That and Zell's semi-infinite limits...

Only thing i think i enjoyed more in VIII was when i pulled out Selphie's The End limit against Omega. Good times...

been playing tactics A2 on the 3DS (only FF I have access to at the moment)

it's been great upgrading and equipping my clan, switching jobs and running quests.
Spent countless hours on the gba game and I can tell it's going to be the same here as well.

Suairyu

Banned
My DS copy of III should be arriving tomorrow, so I may play that alongside IV and XIII-2.
I don't think I've ever been more disappointed with a game than III DS. They shoulda just called it "Final Fantasy: Grinding Edition". It isn't hard in the sense of requiring tactical thought from you, but in that your patience will be tested for how much leveling you can stomach.

A real shame, because I liked the artstyle, too.

I don't think I've ever been more disappointed with a game than III DS. They shoulda just called it "Final Fantasy: Grinding Edition". It isn't hard in the sense of requiring tactical thought from you, but in that your patience will be tested for how much leveling you can stomach.

Yeah, I've played it a couple of times before, and it's definitely one of my least favorite FF games, though I still liked it well enough. The last section of the game made me ragequit pretty quickly, though.

Natetan

I agree. FF3 is my least favorite. I don't like viii or ix either, but can at least see value in them compared to iii (well viii anyway)

Johnas

This thread inspired me to play through the Origins version of FFI, which I've never done despite owning it since release.

I've played the GBA version through a couple of times, and the NES game a handful of times way back when it released, but I've forgotten much of the game, so it feels like a fairly fresh experience. I have to say, it holds up really well. I do like the difficulty level of this version, although in my mind (which may or may not be accurate) I feel like it leans more toward the "grindy" NES version than the GBA version. That isn't all bad (since GBA is just way too easy) but I feel like maybe the optimum balance would fall somewhere between Origins and GBA. The game still seemed to bog down quite a bit at the Elfheim/Marsh Cave area.

I may change my stance on that by the time I finish it, though. I probably feel this way partly from playing the DQ DS remakes multiple times since I last played FFI, which proceed so relatively quickly.

Labadal

been playing tactics A2 on the 3DS (only FF I have access to at the moment)

it's been great upgrading and equipping my clan, switching jobs and running quests.
Spent countless hours on the gba game and I can tell it's going to be the same here as well.

I've spent 60 hours on the game and still have ~150 missions left. Game is great.

Gravijah

well, i'm emulating it at 3x native ps1 res and that screenshot is shrunk down to roughly 1/3rd of that. it doesn't look nearly as good when i'm playing, but i think it still looks pretty good all things considering.

Top Bottom