• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In honor of Final Fantasy's 25th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

I absolutely love VI, it left such an awesome impression on young me. Is the Advance version the best version (ala V advance) readily available now? I have the Anthology version but the load times are really annoying.

I believe FF6 Advance has some issues with the music, but it isn't a buggy mess like 4. Best choice for this one is probably on the Virtual Console (as FF3). Failing that, I'd go for the Advance version.

Yes, in three tries they only got the FF Advance thing completely right once.

Interesting that this thread is up, as I just bought VII on PSN. Going to play it for the first time.

About how long is the game?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Interesting that this thread is up, as I just bought VII on PSN. Going to play it for the first time.

About how long is the game?

I think it's something like 30 hours if you're hardcore and rush, 50 if you lollygag, 40 on average. And of course I've known people who've pushed it to 100+ hours maxing all the stats, materia, etc.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I think it's something like 30 hours if you're hardcore and rush

Gonna have to quote myself!

Lindsay said:
disc2_end.jpg

And at 14 hours, 6 minutes disc 2 is done!
Disc 3 is just the final dungeon, bosses and grand finale fmvs. Saying 30 hours is much to generous!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Gonna have to quote myself!

Disc 3 is just the final dungeon, bosses and grand finale fmvs. Saying 30 hours is much to generous!

Yeah but you're hardcore hardcore. ;)

If someone's asking the average time on FFVII, I assume they aren't experienced enough to do any kind of speedrunning type behavior... and in that sense you could accidentally hit 30 hours if you move at a brisk pace..

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Yeah but you're hardcore hardcore. ;)

If someone's asking the average time on FFVII, I assume they aren't experienced enough to do any kind of speedrunning type behavior... and in that sense you could accidentally hit 30 hours if you move at a brisk pace..

No way I'm not hardcore! I'm not really speedrunning either at least not in the truest sense of the term. I've fought countless random battles and only really ran from disadvantageous ones and not using active battle system. 30 hours or more for first time through might be about right! Taking time to read all the text, mess around with materia, and seeking various things out can take up time. 50 hours max to do everything sans maxing out stats if ya know what you're doing. Which is why the game is so good for replays! Its quite a short game but there's much to do making it last as long or not as you want.

I'll eat my socks if that's your first playthrough.

More like 30+ playthrough @_@ I remember getting through it pretty quickly back in the day. I got trolled for saying it could be finished in under 20 hours! The first time I played the game and beat it was on a rental. Not sure how long it took me but I surely did play the heck outta it that one weekend!

Bladenic

Haha I just noticed I said I was in middle of disc 3 of Final Fantasy 7, when it only has 3 discs and the third is just the final dungeon. So I mean I'm in before the submarine, disc 2. After I platinum XIII-2, I'll come back and finally finish the game for the first time.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Oh that's what that does. Thanks.That text box background almost ruins it.

As you can see by the screenshots of other people here, that's not the normal one.

that version of FFIV doesn't look very good to me. Probably just nostalgia for the original SNES graphics, but it looks like a cheap flash game, especially that font :(...

I know what you mean. I felt the same when I first played FF1 anniversary and even still when first playing FF4 CC, it just takes some time getting used to. It's not that great everywhere in the game, the best part are definitely the battles. I'm not gonna defend that font, though. It's really awful, I especially don't like how numbers stand out when placed within text.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
I'm actually playing this series completely through this year. I've only completed I, II, X, XII and Tactics Advance. Got to the end of XIII, took a break and never went back. Will be playing them most likely in chronological order.

I & II: Dawn of Souls on the GBA
III on the DS
IV on the DS
V on the GBA
VI on the GBA.
Those are the best versions to play correct?
Also, I loved Final Fantasy Tactics Advance so definitely going to get the DS sequel.

Once those are all said and done, FF VII-IX will be played off the PSN store, along with FFX and XII on my PS2 (X-2 can suck it, hated that game). Then FF XIII and finally when it comes down $30 or so, XIII-2.

Entropia

No One Remembers
So after beating FFV the other night, I really did not like it. I mean, it's a somewhat enjoyable game but I couldn't really get into it.

Now I'm onto FFVI which is my favorite game of all time!

Natetan

Those FF9 screens make me want to replay it. I think it's the least FF I replay. I should pop that bad boy into my console this coming weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPU7Ts_Q-dQ

Ff9 is my least favorite ff game, and those shots make me want to play it too!

And about FFV, I didnt like it after my first play through either. The story is not good, alot of the music is average generally, and it's graphically a step down from 4 seeming in a few places. But eventually I really got I to the job system. Try playing the job fiesta gag does every year, it's really great fun!

Entropia

No One Remembers
Ff9 is my least favorite ff game, and those shots make me want to play it too!

And about FFV, I didnt like it after my first play through either. The story is not good, alot of the music is average generally, and it's graphically a step down from 4 seeming in a few places. But eventually I really got I to the job system. Try playing the job fiesta gag does every year, it's really great fun!

Yeah, I like a job system because I love being able to customize my characters and have them fill specific roles, or be hybrids. I did the job fiesta this past year but didn't complete it, got the last boss and flopped :(

rybrad

I believe FF6 Advance has some issues with the music, but it isn't a buggy mess like 4. Best choice for this one is probably on the Virtual Console (as FF3). Failing that, I'd go for the Advance version.

Yes, in three tries they only got the FF Advance thing completely right once.
Great call on the VC, always forget about it, thanks. Classic controller for maximum nostalgia makes this an easy choice.

Pembunah

Neo Member
Well, by coincidence I've started playing FFI on my phone (GBA emulator) and I've just finished the Earth Shrine. Guess when I finish it I'll continue with the titles I haven't already played: II(GBA), III(DS), V(GBA), and for the love of god I need to finish FFXII which I was close to doing a year ago when I stopped playing, and start XIII which I got when it came out and haven't even cracked open yet. I have X-2, but I was about 10 hrs into it and really had no interest in continuing.

Goli

-------------------------------------
Our tales resumes!
Cecil finds him near the same village whose crystal he stole (and murdered its inhabitants). Despite being given the cold shoulder for what he did from the Mysidian people, eventually he learns from the elder that to defeat Golbez he must overcome the evil in him and become a Paladin.
dhwD0.png

The elder forces two Mysidian twins to accomapny him and serve as a watch of sorts (which Cecil doesn't know). Also while walking across Mysidia to go to the mythic place where Cecil shall become a Paladin they all get turned to pigs.
MFp9b.png

In Mount Ordeals, Cecil and company meet with Tellah once more who is now searching for a way to cast Meteor and get his revenge on Golbez. Together they fight against one of Golbez's minions, Scarmiglione, and reach the shrine where Cecil fights himself to become a Paladin.
zrRH0.png

Back in Mysidia, the Elder convinces Cecil to defeat Golbez who's going about collecting crystals to summon the Giant of Babil. And so the Elder opens up the Devil's Road so Cecil and company can go to Baron and convince Baron's king to stop helping Golbez destroy mankind. When they reach the castle they are attacked bu guards under *gasp* Yang's command. Eventually they beat the crap out of Yang, where he realises he was brainwashed basically, and joins the party as the go through horrible smelly sewers into the castle. Already in the castle, they meet Baigan who turns out to be this horrible monster with mutant arms.
Tp0MU.png

Once they finally reach the throne, they realise the "king" of Baron is in fact another of Golbez's minions, Cagnazzo. After defeating him they try to escape the castle along with Cid who has been freed from the underground prison he was captive in, but are stopped when a trap room almost crushes them, were it not for Palom and Porom who turn themselves into stones to save the others. After a sad farewell, Cid invites the party to his airship, the Enterprise. After boarding, Kain suddenly appears and gives Cecil the order of getting the remaining crystal, otherwise Rosa would die. Little did the party know they'd have to defeat the Dark Elf who had stolen the crystal and taken it to his cave to get it. They do so with help from Edward who gives Cecil a strange weed of some sort that weakens the Dark Elf. After defeating the elf our heroes get the crystal and meet with Kain who guide them to the Tower of Zot where after some bug killing, they finally meet Golbez.
Tellah filled with anger due to Anna's death decides to get revenge of Golbez by casting a series of -ga tier spells in succesion and when realising their lack of effectiveness decides to unleash the ultimate spell, Meteor!
6ecWB.png

1FiQE.png

q0NJV.png

uhABc.png

U4Zsb.png

TCSro.png

5znCs.png

...which still isn't enough to kill Golbez. Tellah, exhausted and worn out from this is almost killed by Golbez's hand, but saved by Cecil (but he still dies anyway since he's too old for that). Golbez backs away and escapes, after coming to the realization Cecil is in fact his long lost brother. Kain, free from Golbez's mind control joins the party along with Rosa who now too is free, but from her inprisonment.
She and Cecil share a romantic kiss, much to Kain's grief.
Mw4G8.png

---------------------------------------------
To be continued! Not in a paradox ending or DLC.
(I didn't take much screenshots during the pre-Tower of Zot period so I had to fill in with my crappy narration)

Hobbun

I really like how FF IV CC looks, and I am debating on playing it. But how easy is it? I’m not expecting it to be FF IV DS, but please don’t tell me it is super easy like FF I on the PSP. If it is, then I'll just play the DS version.

Goli

I really like how FF IV CC looks, and I am debating on playing it. But how easy is it? I’m not expecting it to be FF IV DS, but please don’t tell me it is super easy like FF I on the PSP. If it is, then I'll just play the DS version.

It's super super easy, you can win most fights by just activating auto battle mode. There are some difficulty spikes in the Tower of Zot and in the moon however.

StuBurns

Banned
Does FF4 Interlude count as a Final Fantasy to people? I count 4, and 4 The After Years (despite it's poor quality), but not so much the Interlude.

Hobbun

It's super super easy, you can win most fights by just activating auto battle mode. But there are some difficulty spikes in the Tower of Zot and in the moon however.

Bleh, no thanks. I'll just go with the DS version, then. It's a shame, really wanted to play with the nice graphics (at least I think so).

Jucksalbe

Banned
Took a break from XIII-2 today and started FF III. I have never played the Famicom version, even though I have it lying around for quite a while now. To make it easier for me (don't understand a word of Japanese) I decided to play the English fan translation (on the PSP, sorry for all the black bars; edit: yay! No more black bars!).

SoBup.png

I have to say I'm pretty impressed by the graphics. It looks very nice, better than the DS version I'd say.

Vzz3L.png

And it seems it doesn't take itself as seriously as most of the other games.

MNg2V.png
I1nwF.png

Boss fight already? I think this took a little longer in the DS version. To be sure I just spammed my (two) SouthWinds.

EJ5e3.png

And the world map looks pretty nice, too.

tQjQX.png

But yeah, this is an old game, so naturally it comes with some annoyances. Nothing you can't get used to.

PdO5p.png

I went with a standard party of Fighter, Monk, White Mage and Black Mage. It will still take a couple of minutes to get the first black magic.

1IVTE.png

I really like that KO sprites especially the one for the white mage. And also: Fights within the first town are unfair!

48DDB.png
dcD7V.png

Next town, just a couple of ghosts. Nothing to do here, so I just went inside the cave.

nghQk.png
b6Wya.png

Not a very good idea. Got annihilated right away. Ouch! So I wasn't sure if I really was supposed to go here already and took a look inside the FF III DS strategy guide (by Future Press). Of course I wasn't, but I have to say the guide is really nicely done, I highly recommend it if you're playing the DS/iOS version.

QLPKs.png

So now that I knew where to go, I got the airship and flew a few centimeters to the left.

LPJXp.png
WMRB7.png

Found a few weapons while running around. Too bad the supposedly great sword you get from the fight with the Griffon is only for Red Mages.

6T4yU.png

And done for today. Actually I had to play the beginning twice, because that stupid emulator (NesterJ) didn't save properly the first time.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Yay, have fun! Join the "Famicom version is superior" force~

What is the issue with the DS version?? :<

My FFVI journey is well underway. I just defended Narshe from Kefka and am about to head to Zozo to find Terra. Party I went with: Gau, Cyan, Celes and Edgar(though, in retrospect I ALWAYS use him - I should've went with Locke).

I want to join in on the fun!
Let's see my history of the series:

I - Finished once, don't feel like replaying it again
II - Finished once, don't feel like replaying it again

III - Still haven't played this!

IV - Finished once, relatively recently, will wait some more to replay it

V - Still haven't played this!

VI - Played it 3 times. It's been a long time since I replayed this last, still I think I'll wait for a remake. I'd like to forget as much as possible about the plot.

VII - Played it 5 times. I've replayed this quite recently, so I'll just patiently wait for the remake

VIII - Played it twice, might replay this summer if I manage to get my backlog under 50

IX - Played it twice, still want to wait a little more to replay this for a third time

X - Played it 3 times, the HD port might be a nice chance to revisit this since I never managed to complete it because of that stupid Dark Valefor bug...... except I still don't have an HDTV so it would be quite pointless....

XII - Played it twice, last time was 2 years ago, so this will have to wait

XIII - Played it once, can't replay it at the moment, even if I wanted to, and I would like to. THE LAW clearly states that I can't replay Ps3/360 games until I get an HDTV!

So, III (DS) and V (PS Anthology) it is then! I just finished Layton 3, as soon as I'm done with Resident Evil Revelations I'll start with III on the DS next week!

Exhumed

I'm playing FF XIII-2 along with you guys.

Soon to come, completion of some unfinished projects (FFIII DS, FF X-2, and FF XII).

Heropon

Toriyama has possessed me and I've decided this game has chapters.

Previously on Final Fantasy: Hero, THIEF, Serah and Riku appeared outside the city of Cornelia. The king told them to save his daughter from Garland and they killed him with the x button. As a reward, a bridge was built so they could do hero stuff elsewhere.

Chapter 1: The sleeping prince

The Fantastic Four do their journey to the East, but suddenly...

SJD0X.png

Serah shouts: "Ponies!!!" The equines attack the group viciously, so they have to counterattack. Our heroes win, but that was a bittersweet victory.

mhFrz.png

Hero and friends reach the town of Pravoka. People in this town need heroes, and this idea turns on Hero's spirit. "But let's do shopping first" says Riku. Our heroes have their priorities straight.

FyY8A.png

I suppose this is the most interesting thing in all this town.

oiyij.png
ooNac.png

Let's defeat all the pirates! Our heroes were outnumbered, but... What does that mean when the enemies are a bunch of weaklings? Hero abuses of his physical condition and kills mercilessly all his enemies one by one.

8JwE1.png

These guys were a joke. Their boss is even more coward and gives us a private ship so we don't hurt him. At last, the four friends are rewarded with a nice thing. They let the wind guide them and they get to Elfheim.

yMxSW.png
jZVIf.png

This town has problems too. The party is attracted to do good things like iron to a magnet, so they go to the castle. They find a tomb and THIEF gets a bit sad.

VIwPE.png
D9Zqe.png

They go to see the prince, but they can't do anything. THIEF's compass tells them to go west. With nothing better to do they obey the compass and reach some ruined keep.

jJvsj.png

After a series of fights with imgur, our heroes get to talk with the owner of the building. They get tricked into another fetch quest to retrieve a crown in a cave full of monsters.

LlQz5.png
UwQwr.png

After a long trip, they reach the cave. Just when they were going to get the treasure a group of mage squids appears. The RNG gods are kind to the group and there's only two of them. After the battle, they get the crown. THIEF suggests to sell it and buy a villa in Costa del Sol. After realising that place doesn't exist they return to the keep.

IoRIf.png

On the way out, the heroes get atrapped by some monsters but Riku saves the day.

cFg3X.png
OdvKd.png

They return with the crown, but they have been tricked by Astos himself. They engage in a fight where Astos do some nasty tricks. Luckily, a soft reset isn't needed (I like all my characters at the same level).

e4Zut.png
7kb5S.png

This bad guy drops some goodies: a crystal eye and a mythril sword (how rare is the drop? I don't remember getting it in all my playthoughs). They return to Elfheim so they can spend money on new magics for Serah.

7bh76.png

In this world Serah has the power to do multi-target healing spells. I hope I don't create any paradoxes.

QyJFf.png
9DPZr.png

The compass says they have to go north and they go on their way. Along the way, the heroes abused the monsters just for the giggles as the experience was negligible. In a cave they found a klutz witch. After some inspection, they find she needs the crystal eye to see. Hoping for money in exchange of their eye, the group gets a potion instead. Luckily, it seems it's the potion needed to save the elf prince. "Wait, wait, wait, I hope this is the last of these quests" says Riku (How wrong is he, hahaha).

dSV89.png
smbSu.png

We don't have time to waste with you guys. See ya later. They arrive at the castle and, as their arachnid senses told, that potion is what is needed to awaken the prince. What is their prize for all these struggles? A stupid key! But Serah can tell this key can open locked doors with precious treasures. That sounds better.

What will our heroes find? The answer will be in the next chapter.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Almost done...!

"End of the Line (Pt.1)"

ibssmp4oSvUC9K.jpg

This adventure is just about over. Cloud & Co. depart from the ship and go down into the crater!

ipFF8AHYdl533.jpg

A split path means we need to split up. Half of us go one way, half of us another. Clouds mini-party ends up an unusually nice looking area with some very generous enemies... sadly there's no time to grind 'em!

ipf8yYbHLe9KT.jpg

Let's mosey? Cloud is chill as fuck. Meanwhile the planets center is full of floating platforms?

ibi9eCaAHLrz7J.jpg

On the way down we get attacked by the Riddler.

ie6qMgv8xou4B.jpg

Then meet & beat Jenova for the fourth and final time.

ibkKlTidZqO79C.jpg

Afterwards the ground below crumbles and we end up floating before Holy & Sephiroth. What we end up fighting looks really bizarre. Magic is needed since this beast has multiple parts to attack. Thank goodness for infinite mega elixers!

Goli

I'll finish my FFIV log at some point, but today I decided to start a (not +, which has added scenes and stuff) new game on Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers for a couple of reasons, one I think the Crystal Chronicles spinoffs go largely ignored even though they're great and totally anti-all those things many people seem to hate of FF games these days like plots that take themselves too seriously and such, and the other that the game has a built in screenshot function! Let's get started (every game should have this, alternatively, every console/handheld should have an OS level function for it).
Also the game's just too fun.
---------------------------------------
Crystal Bearers begins with Layle:
K5SwS.jpg

our carefree protagonist and crystal bearer (they're kind of like FNC's l'cie) who works with selkie partner Keiss:
vAfDV.jpg

Together they're escorting the Alexis, airship named after the queen of the lilty kingdom at the request of high commander Jegran:
sntyW.jpg

Everything seems fine until a bunch of zu appear and attack the airship leaving it in a pretty bad condition and to prevent any more damage, Layle does some flashy zu killing.
After the killing Layle lands in the Alexis, when suddenly a strange yuke with a crystal appears:
TxOp1.jpg
Biy0h.jpg

This surprises everyone since yukes are supposed to have banished from the world.
After a little struggle between the Layle and the yuke, who Layle decides to name Goldenrod at a lack of an actual identifier for her, she leaves on a zu, but what she doesn't realize is that Layle stole the crystal she carried with her. Also in between all this a selkie woman, Belle, who had snuck into the Alexis takes pictures of everything because selkies are sneaky like that:
OgMc7.jpg
What they hadn't realised till that moment was that the little crystal the yuke carried had absorbed all energy from the airship's crystal reactors, meaning it couldn't function. So Layle has to use his bearer powers to keep it afloat AND get behind the wheel and actually drive it to Alfitaria, grand capital of the lilty kingdom:
A4G3G.jpg

Since the brakes don't work Layle uses a stone monument and the queen's garden as makeshift ones:
s3Bff.jpg

After landing and getting off board, Keiss scolds Layle for what he did, and then talks with Jegran about the yuke; subsequently he then tells Layle to meet up later to tell him the details and give him his pay at Alfitaria's fountain plaza.
And this is when the game begins proper:
vpZiL.jpg

On his way to the Fountain Plaza Layle witness a bunch of assorted events on the way including but not limited to the balls you see here:
YNG3B.jpg

Falling on the guards (and Layle):
ND4wO.jpg

Or the strange appearance of a weird show on the crystalvision TV:
rWMuB.jpg

He also fixes the town's clock which makes everyone love him:
j7IbN.jpg
UEOs3.jpg

Eventually he boards a shuttle to the Fountain Plaza full of colorful folks, and on arrival meets a strange lilty girl with a pet ferret who steals Goldenrod's crystal.
After getting the crystal back from the troublesome ferret via his crystal bearer powers, everyone seems scared of him and look at him with weird faces, meanwhile the strange lilty girl invites him a cup of tea as compensation for the trouble:
jsk9p.jpg
M9Vkv.jpg

After a while of talk, Belle suddenly appears being chased by guards who want her for boarding the Alexis without authorization. Layle being the casanova he is agrees to help her and makes a dramatic escape. (Not to mention that after making everyone scared by using his powers the lilty guard also go after him for use of arcane arts and other unimportant charges) :
NpLtx.jpg
To be continued! Mainly since I don't want to post any more screenshots that would clutter everything ):

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
"End of the Line (Pt.2)"

i6MU6V2wpWESB.jpg

This incarnation of Sephiroth still looks kinda weird but hey only one part to attack so I'm not complaining! Why's the camera zooming in on hi... oh god.

ibn7kf2x0naPcp.jpg

If he could do this what was the point of summoning Meteor??

iYfpB1JdvI69X.jpg

ffffffuuuuuuuu

ii7127JzHtlHV.jpg

That really, really hurt! But guess what? A few more attacks and he goes down for good!

iQvhnbjZoozxh.jpg

Cloud no! We solved your mental problems! Don't go losing it again!

iGsnuvQ8IiapG.jpg

Fine whats one more final showdown after three others. Why isn't Cloud shirtless to?

ieg8ADO6abSpK.jpg

High-res character models. Hawt.

imp9qoch0aBhv.jpg

Cloud used gameshark to unlock a new limit break! Which is powerful enough to take him down again. For good. Please?

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
"End of the Line (Pt.3)"

iLfH9vY7Uk65A.jpg

Looks like the fighting is indeed over but Cloud still needs a helping hand. Strange that the hand he sees is ungloved.

i4Q2LsyPHkqOW.jpg

Tifa GET! Nice save nice save.

iQW6V8KolPbde.jpg

Everyone else is okay too. Even the airship despite it getting launched outta the crater by Holy.

ibx0JCUrdWXVRX.jpg

Luckily it transformed into an awesome jet! Whats not so awesome is Holy being full of fail.

itRnA4baNJaY6.jpg

What's what? What's coming?? Don't leave me hanging!!

ipf4pmNshvbYT.jpg

Whatevers coming can't be any worse then whats already came... oh! Lifestream!!

ibHWDrxYV7HLP.jpg

500 years later? I wanna know what happens next!! It seems the planet and Red XIIIs race lived on while Midgar did not. A happy ending right?

Lindsay said:
The last time I was able to open the menu was at 14 hours, 27 minutes. Taking boss fights into account gameplay prolly ended at just around the 15 hour mark. A fitting time since its the games 15th Anniversary!

And that's that! FFVII is done. My work and participation in this here thread is over...

idm6DaHiY0ViL.jpg

ACTIVATING COMBAT MODE

coming... soon... ?... someday...

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I wanted to like Crystal Bearers, but I really, really, really could not. :\
Same here, I really tried. I liked Lyle and the overall setting a lot, but the actual game was... Even if I managed to overlook the gameplay shortcomings I was still bored as hell. I think I stopped at Grassland Station, after that beach mini-game. It wasn't even a conscious "fuck this!" decision, I just stopped playing that session normally and never felt like coming back to it again.

Sadist

I actually played the Crystal Bearers up untill the final boss, (which sucked btw) hoping to see something worthwhile. I didn't. The idea of a Final Fantasy action game is pretty rad and it had the right protagonist to do so. Layle was so different from other FF heroes, which felt quite fresh. The game mechanics are... so boring. Horrible. Can't beleve the game was in development for four years.

Goli

Aw, sad to see not many people like TCB but well... it's not for everyone. In fact I recognize it's pretty flawed but I think what makes me love it so much are those little reactions you can get from enemies and NPCs. Trying to get all medals in the game is really fun to me at least. Anyway, my final part of the FFIV log is here, but I forgot to take pictures through most of what's left till the final battle. I'll try to keep it short.

--------------------------

Kain says Golbez has yet to get the dark crystals from the underworld, and since all crystals are required to open the way to the moon (also to get the Giant of Babil to revive) they go after them. After some dilly-dallying they reach the underworld and meet the dwarves who are being attacked by the Red Wings, who also attack them once they arrive and break the Enterprise, which makes Cid leave to party to repair it while the others check up on the dwarves's crystal, only to see some creepy dolls steal it and then Golbez appear and beat the crap out of everyone along with his Shadow Dragon. BUT THEN, Rydia appears and saves the day with the Mist Dragon, YAY!
PsAoz.png
Afterwards they go to some tower and beat up some scientist and all of Golbez's minions once more. Then they escape back to the surface with the help of ninja and Eblan prince Edge, who joins the party. Together they retrieve the final crystal and Kain betrays everyone once more, after which the party gets an airship that allows them to travel to the moon:
ANpta.png

There they meet an ancient lunarian, Fusoya, who reveals the truth about Cecil and Golbez to the party. They are in fact brothers, and Golbez is actually being controlled by Zemus, another lunarian who wants to kill everyone on the planet and repopulate it with lunarians. Together they go back to fend off against the Giant who is already destroying everything, for that reason they go inside the Giant and destroy it from the inside. Also Fusoya makes Golbez come to his senses and Kain rejoins the party. Everyone goes to the moon to destroy the evil Zemus a.k.a Zeromus.
But he is too powerful for the party! Luckily and with the help of a crystal and everyone prayers they manage to destroy Zeromus true form.
iFCwg.png

In the end Rosa and Cecil marry and have a child, and Kain doesn't go to the wedding since he can't deal with having done so many bad things to them. Plus he loves Rosa so...
ErO0V.png

Also, everyone who was supposedly dead wasn't actually dead, like Palom and Porom.
2URW7.png

Until the Interlude.
EXTRA!
c4nui.png

In the Interlude a fake Rydia appears and goes collecting Eidolons to use for evil purposes:
FTnAA.png

In the end she goes away when the true Rydia appears.
Also Rosa reveals she's pregnant.

-------------------------------------

After I finish TCB I shall start III iOS! Reading this thread makes me want to play the Famicom version but I don't have that one, sadly.

JerkShep

Is there some kind of consensus regarding the "best" versions of the first six episodes?
I'm interested in particular about IV and VI, but a rundown of all the episodes could be useful

Is there some kind of consensus regarding the "best" versions of the first six episodes?

I and II: there are two versions of each: the NES version (remade in FF Origins) and the GBA version (remade on the PSP Anniversary editions.) FF Origins is a 16-bit-style-graphics, remade-soundtrack version that's largely gameplay-faithful to the originals but adds some excellent UX improvements like dashing and auto-retargeting. If you want to play the original versions of the games, play this version (available on PSN.) The GBA version completely rebalances both games (making them far, far easier) but adds extra secret dungeons to each. The PSP versions of both have all the same content and a little extra besides; if you want to play the extra content, play the PSP versions.

III: The two versions are pretty different. The original NES version has the rough edges of all the old FFs (and only a mediocre fan translation into English), but it's got probably the greatest 8-bit-chiptune RPG soundtrack of all time and Aeana thinks it's the best version. The DS version (and its port to iOS) is polygonal, with a remade soundtrack, and some pretty significant content rebalancing; it's slower and has some limitations (like only a few monsters per encounter) but I enjoyed it a lot.

IV: The DS remake is completely different from the original game, with a complete rebalancing of every system, every boss battle, and every encounter; it's great but it takes a pretty easy game and makes it outrageously difficult, so I probably wouldn't recommend it the first time through. Every English version of the original IV has huge glaring problems ("FFII" for SNES is the for-babbies Easy Type, the GBA version has tons of severe bugs, and the PSX version has atrocious load times) except for the recently-released PSP version, so play that.

V: The GBA version is the definitive version: added content and an amazing English translation. Don't even consider the only other option (the awfully-translated, even-worse-loading PSX version.)

VI: The GBA version has the best content (a pretty respectful new translation that fixes some of the technical limitations of the SNES version, some new added Espers) but unfortunately it butchers the soundtrack so badly that I can't recommend it. The PSX version is, if anything, even worse for this game than the other two, so really the best way to play this now is to buy the SNES version on Wii Virtual Console.

Xux

I'm interested in particular about IV and VI, but a rundown of all the episodes could be useful
I&II: The Origins version has updated visuals and music while staying closer to the original versions' difficulties. The GBA and PSP versions have extra content but are a bit easier.
III: Only the DS and iOS version is available outside of Japan but a lot of people prefer the original so play that if you can somehow.
IV: The Complete Collection on PSP is probably the definitive version with all of the GBA content (and more) without the glitches. The DS version is a good twist on the original if you'd played it a lot, too.
V&VI: The GBA versions are easily the perfect, definitive versions. Some people don't like the better music and different screen dimensions, though.

Scythian

I'm also falling behind, though my goal was to beat a game every month, I've been very busy with Dark Souls, so I'm advancing through FFII slowly. Will post an update soon, probably after I finish the Snow Cave :D

Well that's Final Fantasy finally done.
25 years after it was 1st released and 9 years after I 1st played it through Origins for the PS1 (nine years! I still remember the day I bought it).

I've really enjoyed my time with it these past couple of weeks. Work's got in the way a bit and has social commitments, but dang has it been relaxing to just explore dungeons and grind away the random battles. Felt like I was back at school :D

Final Stats:
Knight/Ninja/WhiteWizard/BlackWizard
All level 62 at the end
22.08 on the clock
999999 gil in the bank

Ninja was a bit of a waste, i wish I'd taken a monk. Ah well...next time?

Not sure where to go next. Final Fantasy II or XIII? Hmmm

Natetan

FF1 - I like the NES version best

FF2 - the iOS version was good

FF3 - I really don't like DS 3D graphics. Not that I like the Famicom graphics that much either.

FF4 - SNES version is the best

FF5 - Only played the SFC version, not sure about the GBA version.

FF6 - SNES.

So I've gotten six hours into my first ever FF VII playthrough.

I'm really not digging it. The game just feels slow. Everything from movement to the battle system. The story is interesting, but I've pretty much heard all the plot points for the game, so I don't have too much of an interest in keeping on.

So now, the only main games I need to play are II,V,VIII,IX,and X. Any recommendations?

If it helps, of the ones I've played I liked them like this:

XII>VI>IV>I>XIII>VII>III

Aeana

So I've gotten six hours into my first ever FF VII playthrough.

I'm really not digging it. The game just feels slow. Everything from movement to the battle system. The story is interesting, but I've pretty much heard all the plot points for the game, so I don't have too much of an interest in keeping on.

So now, the only main games I need to play are II,V,VIII,IX,and X. Any recommendations?

Slow, huh? Did you turn the battle speed up (and are you dashing on the field?). I don't mind to insult you, buuut I guess I don't really find the game slow at all, so just wondering.

As for your question... uhh... well if you find FF7 slow, do NOT play FF9.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I've now entered the World of Ruin on my FFVI playthrough. Thinking my final party is going to be: Cyan, Gau, Relm, and possibly Terra (with Ultima Weapon). In all the years I've played FFVI (practically since it's came out) I've never really used Gau. I'm pretty impressed at how powerful he can be with the right Rage.

Top Bottom