• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In honor of Final Fantasy's 25th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

Thought Parasite Eve was written separately. Its novel was released before FF7.

They actually licensed an existing, non-game-related novel to tie into the game, specifically because they thought it would be a good fit for the NYC-setting evil-cells game they wanted to make. (IIRC, the novel doesn't actually have all that much to do with the game.) The fact that they didn't want to/couldn't renew the license is why the PSP game is "The 3rd Birthday" rather than "Parasite Eve 3."

So I bought VII on PSN. Playing it for the first time ever. Just beat the first boss I guess. I like it so far. The intro was very well done and the universe is interesting. Graphics look fucking awful on my 62 inch TV. Sound is charmingly retro.

I really miss turn based battle systems and fixed cameras/pre-rendered backgrounds. :(

Bladenic

I'm almost done with XIII-2's story, after which I will Platinum the game. On another note, I bought FF1 for my iPhone, and I been playing it gradually. I finished the Sunken Cavern last night, so I just have to do the last crystal now! This'll be the first time I beat this game.

I will certainly get FF2 for the iPhone next, and I still need to beat FFVII for the first time (PSN version). That leaves FF5 and FF6. I'm very tempted to get both on PSN only because the GBA versions are rare and expensive. If I can somehow get them for a good price, I would totally pick them up.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm almost done with XIII-2's story, after which I will Platinum the game. On another note, I bought FF1 for my iPhone, and I been playing it gradually. I finished the Sunken Cavern last night, so I just have to do the last crystal now! This'll be the first time I beat this game.

I will certainly get FF2 for the iPhone next, and I still need to beat FFVII for the first time (PSN version). That leaves FF5 and FF6. I'm very tempted to get both on PSN only because the GBA versions are rare and expensive. If I can somehow get them for a good price, I would totally pick them up.

No Wii, huh?

The PS1 versions of IV, V and VI that are on PSN are kind of unfortunate. Load times, warbley music, etc.

If you could get the Wii VC version of IV and VI, you'd be better off. No V, though.

edit: unless of course, the issue is portability. PSP might be an appropriate venue for the PSN versions...

Bladenic

The Wii that I have is back home (I'm away at college). And 4 I used to own on GBA and somehow lost (but I beat it so no worries) and still own the DS version. I'm still tempted to get the PSP version, probably will at one point. If I don't get my hands on 6 before summer, I'll go ahead and get it on Wii VC, but that still leaves 5.

And since I'm already posting, the reason I stopped 7 where I did (middle of disc 3, right before getting the submarine) was because I wanted to get Omnislash. However, I detest the Golden Saucer. What's the best/most efficient/EASIEST way to get the required credits (or whatever the currency was there)?

Hey Gaf, as you probably know are the FF games on PSN currently on Sale. Can you tell me which one to buy? From the looks am I the most interested in FF8 but I keep hearing that FF9 is supposed the best one. (It would be my first FF game btw.)

Ff9 is where I started FFX was my favorite, but FFIX was just as great! I thoroughly enforce FFIX as your start point, the graphics are retro/fun and the gameplay is always good.

Natetan

I recommend ff2 iOS. I really enjoyed it.

Kinyou

Ff9 is where I started FFX was my favorite, but FFIX was just as great! I thoroughly enforce FFIX as your start point, the graphics are retro/fun and the gameplay is always good.
ok thx. :)

Overall am I still hoping for the FFX remake to be released this year.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Finished FFV last night, finally. It took a bit of grinding to get my health up to survive an Almagest.

In retrospect, I really do not like FFV much. Looking forward to playing VI for the umpteenth time though. I think I am going to go with a different party configuration than what I normally do (Terra, Sabin, Edgar, Lock/Celes).

Ultratech

That's all FF4. The US version of FF5 doesn't have any of those problems. It also doesn't have a character named "Yang".

Whoops. Totally didn't read all of that.

In that case, I don't think FFV had any real major issues, so not much was changed in the Euro version.

Although they did fix a bug with the RNG not properly resetting when loading a Quicksave. (You could abuse it to get the rarest encounter on a map. Perfect for fighting Movers or rare enemies.)
And another bug with Return not working properly in Timed Fights.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
iFhKjcl8QFDpa.jpg

Our ships pilot got his Limit Break! That makes him more than qualified to get us over Midgar and care for the ship while we storm the city from the sky!

ibzU18tCtfz33p.jpg

We land in Upper Midgar finally we get to check out part of the town that isn't slum... except we have to go down into service tunnels where the Turks await us for one last challenge.

iyNC8FwsOR6ZA.jpg

Elena even gets in on the fighting this time! They prove to be a tough bunch but our team wins out and moves on to find a couple of Shinra execs with stupid laughs waiting.

iySAV1sKLPQKt.jpg

Along with a giant robot that has numerous attacks and takes quite a beating before going down.

ibfM42MoEoQNFR.jpg

Hojo had sex?! Thinking back, he was surrounded by women at the beach in Costa De Sol. He must have some kind of evil genius charisma. I certainly wouldn't wanna have his kid though!

ib3duXzTQemTA.jpg

It turns out he's injected nanoma... er wrong series, I mean Jenova cells into his own body and mutates a couple times throughout our battle. Of course in the end we win!

iqpBJF7wTq0v9.jpg

Cloud suddenly has the authority to kick everyone off Cids ship. Everyone scatters across the world back to their hometowns and loved ones aside from the two who no longer have either thing. All they have is each other...

ierMsLC4Aqeki.jpg

...but thanks to super low affection points even having that doesn't amount to much.

ibmWISRfhX5hlC.jpg

Cid is suddenly curious about some unused levers at the airship controls. He yanks 'em and the propellers all drop off and the airship! Taking their place is jet boosters which speedily send us rocketing towards the Northern Crater!

Lindsay said:
And at 14 hours, 6 minutes disc 2 is done!

You know you should grind levels when you've thought extremely hard about all of the options available to you through your abilities and bonuses granted by available equipment and still can't manage to beat something. You never need to grind in any FF game post-1 (and you really don't need to do it in 1, either).

I remember needing to grind a lot in FF3. That game was hard.

Or i sucked, one of the two.

Is there anything notably wrong with the EU PSN versions of FF7/8/9?
Aside from them being crappy 50Hz (just like the EU disc versions are), I don't think so. So if the games running at 5/6 of their correct speed doesn't bother you go for it. They should run the same as the disc versions would run on a PS3 if I'm not mistaken.

Ideally, getting the US versions would be preferred but then existing saves you may or may not have wouldn't work (which if you're many hours in means you lose more time getting back to where you were than you actually gain from the game being at full speed) and its a few more hoops to jump through getting US currency without being ripped off etc...maybe.

Anteater

The black mages/vivi story is the best part of the game in ffix, I probably wouldn't like the game as much without them.

Time to leave black mage village

Heropon

Let's start some adventures.
9yFQU.png

A Toriyama's plot device has brought together some heroes to stop the evil and bring peace to the world.

FgAzB.png

Is that a town? Our heroes walk into it so they can buy some goodies. Unfortunately, THIEF can't go into shops because unknown reasons.

O7Ozp.png

I didn't steal anything, I swear! He wants us to see the king. That only means one thing: $$$.

7OUrk.png

The king wants us to save his daughter from one madman. Don't worry, that's some easy work for our almighty heroes. Walking through the fields, our heroes are attacked by vicious monsters. "Where are the bunnies?", asks Serah. After walking 1000km they arrive at their destiny.

kDjla.png
7viMe.png

Boo! Garland gets frightened and want to knock us down. Let's see who knocks down who!

YJKjk.png

Hero, THIEF and Riku smack down the x button while Serah cures the wounds. Garland dies a horrible death and the princess is saved. They can almost see all the gold, but the king says he has built a bridge with the money he was going to give them because they were late.

8FapI.png

Our heroes cross the bridge to fulfill their destinies.

stupei

Ha! Speaking of which...

Rad! How far are you?

I skipped a few optional areas early on in my FF3 play through figuring I'd come back later, so I was a bit under-leveled and had to grind some to make it through to the fire crystal. Wanted all my dudes to be above 400 so that if one of them happened to be on the receiving end of two hits in a row in the boss fight, they weren't automatically dead.

So is this about 25% through? Or more like 10%? I'm really bad at judging this stuff...

Amory

Made it further on in FF1 and I'm having a pretty good time overall. I think it was a good decision to start with the most primitive game and move forward toward the better graphics and gameplay mechanics. I'm still frustrated by the lack of information the game provides, but trying not to worry about it too much.

The other thing that irks me though, attacks miss far, far too often. It seriously seems like a 50/50 split sometimes. When I enter a battle against 6+ enemies my eye twitches involuntarily, not because it's hard, but because I realize i'm gonna be sitting there for 10 minutes trying to connect on my attacks to beat them all...

Aeana

Well, I just beat FF3 Famicom a few pages back, and only grinded one time - just to get my levels high enough so that my characters could job change to ninja and sage (requires level 40, I was at like 36).

Well, I just beat FF3 Famicom a few pages back, and only grinded one time - just to get my levels high enough so that my characters could job change to ninja and sage (requires level 40, I was at like 36).

I seem to remember grinding at the start of FF3 DS, because there are enemies that do a lot of damage and the only thing you can really do in return is magic (which you have maybe 4 casts of collectively).

Heropon

I'm still thinking about what should I do with FFIII. I only have the DS version and I don't like the idea of taking photos. Any ideas?

Jucksalbe

Banned
Your only other option is to buy the Famicom version and play that one. Well, or play the DS version and don't take photos.

Heropon

Your only other option is to buy the Famicom version and play that one. Well, or play the DS version and don't take photos.

I suppose I'll take photos in the end.
Now that I think about it, if I have the FFVI VC version, am I allowed to play FFVI in my computer?

Aeana

I suppose I'll take photos in the end.
Now that I think about it, if I have the FFVI VC version, am I allowed to play FFVI in my computer?

Morally, there's absolutely nothing wrong with emulating something you own. Legally, it's a gray area that would technically require you to actually take the VC game off of your Wii and extract the ROM for it to be 100% legal. But nobody is going to come for you for just downloading it and playing it if you already own the game, and you won't be banned from here for it either.

BocoDragon

Sweet. I just got FFV GBA mint in box today. I've always been devoted to Super Famicom original versions, but I'm curious about the better script, portability tweaks, graphical enhancements etc.

To the GB Micro!

Aeana

Sweet. I just got FFV GBA mint in box today. I've always been devoted to Super Famicom original versions, but I'm curious about the better script, portability tweaks, graphical enhancements etc.

To the GB Micro!

There are really no downgrades in the GBA version of FF5. It really is the way to go.

Jucksalbe

Banned

To the GB Micro!

The new translation alone makes it a better game. And the Micro, too, of course.

Lindbergh

To the GB Micro!

How much did you pay? And Micro? Ballerrrrr.

Heropon

Get it on iOS and take screenshots?

I don't have any iDevices :(

Morally, there's absolutely nothing wrong with emulating something you own. Legally, it's a gray area that would technically require you to actually take the VC game off of your Wii and extract the ROM for it to be 100% legal. But nobody is going to come for you for just downloading it and playing it if you already own the game, and you won't be banned from here for it either.

Ok, problem solved then. Now I have to think about X and onwards.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Played a little bit of FF IV CC, though really only a little bit, I'm still mostly busy with FF XIII-2.

zGNpP.png
sz3Js.png
pQqTA.png

First, another set of screenshots to underline how nice this game looks.

Kkvdd.png

I started off at the first save point inside the Tower of Babil.

XNBGi.png

I hate when games do that. In this case I was lucky and just had to organize my stuff to make room, but I guess I will soon have to sell some of my items (not gonna bother with that chocobo).

IykNS.png
Yiwjs.png

Boss fight! I don't know, this fight seems so totally random. I'm fighting some kind of scientist and his Frankenstein monster? He seems out of place in this game.

ElHdC.png
uQ86y.png

And another one. By now all these sacrifices are more comedic than tragic.

jaDMQ.png
6Up96.png

And that's it! My current stats and place. Next stop: Baron (again)!

Goli

Since I got the plat trophy for FFXIII-2 on Sunday I haven't really played anything so I decided to start playing through FF games after reading this thread. I won't play them all though, my plans:
I recently beat I for the first time so that's too fresh on my mind which is why I won't play it. II will be my first time. III I shall replay, first time was DS version. IV I recently beat for the third time on the CC version which is why I won't play it either, however I took a lot of screenshots when playing it so I might make a little log for it here. V I played somewhat recently for the FFVFJF, so I shall wait for this year's FJF (there will be one right?) to replay it. VI will be my first time. VII I *might* replay. VIII I will definitely replay and do a low level run. IX I'll replay simply because it's my favorite. X I shall wait for remaster. XII I recently replayed. XIII I recently replayed too. And XI and XIV don't count.
So, tl;dr version:
-Finish FF II for the first time.
-Replay FFIII but this time on iOS.
-Replay FFV when FJF hits.
-Finish FF VI for the first time.
-Replay FFVIII and do a low level run.
-Just replay FFIX since I love it.
I might also sneak in a spinoff or two.
(I'm basically doing this to remember what I want to do since I know I'll forget eventually/want to quit)
Actually I'll just start posting my FFIV log now.

-------------------
ZVtax.png

Our journey begins with Cecil reluctantly murdering poor mages to get their crystal. Oh, the evil in him!
2bdfd.png

After a surprise monster assault en route to Baron, Cecil enters the castle to hand over the stolen crystal, but haunted by the evils he has done he questions King Baron, who demotes him...
j3i7l.png

His best friend Kain appeals to the king but to no avail.
They are then tasked with delivering a mysterious package to nearby summoner village Mist, but not before hearing counsel from his romantic interest, Rosa.
FhH9R.png

After the night comes and goes, Cecil's epic quest to destroy a village, get more crystals and overcome his inner evils begins!
Cjhuk.png

During the day on their way to Mist, Cecil and Kain pass through the Mist Cave, little did they know it'd be protected by an ancient dragon summoned by one of the villagers, the Mist Dragon, who despite warning them about going to Mist, isn't heard and ends up being killed, along with the one who summoned him/her unbeknownst to Cecil and company.
ic4DT.png

On arrival to Mist, the mysterious package explodes because it was, well, a bomb. Maybe bombs is more correct.
XcNuq.png

This coupled with the murder of the summoner of the Mist Dragon, who turns out to be the mother of a mysterious green haired girl named Rydia make her quiver with anger, thus summoning Titan causing a huge earthquake and the separation of Cecil and Kain...
iLARA.png

XjxSv.png

Cecil eventually becomes awake, only to find Rydia beside him. He takes her to a nearby town in the middle of the desert, where they spend the night... mostly, since they're attacked by Baron soldiers in the middle of it. After leaving the inn, Cecil learns Rosa has been struck with a seemingly incurable fever, to which he tries to find an antidote for.
lA75x.png

On their quest to find it they come across sage Tellah, who's searching for his daughter Anna who has left to be with her lover, Edward, prince of Damcyan and (spoony) bard, with extreme animosity. They decide to help him.
JpZv0.png

After defeating a strange octopus of some sort they reach Damcyan...
fNFYR.png

Only to witness it being bombed to bits by the Baron army, who in a mad attempt at stealing Damcyan's crystal decide to destroy everything (and succeed at it). During the bombings Anna gets killed unfortunately.
C8LfX.png

After a confrontation between Tellah and Edward, Tellah decides to leave the party to get revenge on those who caused his daughter's death, while Edward joins the party and helps finding a cure for Rosa. After curing Rosa, during the night Edward has a revelation from Anna.
h8eAR.png

Eventually they all decide to go to Mt. Hobs where they meet Yang, a monk from Fabul.
zPw1g.png

They eventually too decide to go to Fabul, only to have Baron's army including the evil Golbez and a brainwashed Kain, come, destroy everything and steal Fabul's crystal. They also kidnap Rosa. Afterwards Cecil and company decide they must rescue Rosa and find out just what is going on with Baron and all, so they take a ship, but are attacked by Leviathan mid way.
jBE5z.png

Which results with everyone getting separated, and Rydia and Yang presumably dead.
What will happen to Cecil and his unlikely band of heroes?
Find out on my next post whenever I post it :D.

Ourobolus

Banned
So I've been playing FFI and FFII on and off the past few days (FFI GBA, FFII IOS - don't ask why I went that route...I'm not sure myself) and I pulled up some old FFII thread on GAF. After following Aeana/Red Scarlet's advice from the thread, the game seems much more pleasant to play. Granted, I'm only just after Semitt Falls, but it seems to be less of a hassle so far.

Basic advice was: Use Minwu to level up your MP early on by casting Sap. Concentrate pretty much solely on Elemental Spells/Cure + a few others. After very little grinding (magic to lv 2-3, MP ~100), go on ahead with the game.

So far, it's been much better.

Natetan

that version of FFIV doesn't look very good to me. Probably just nostalgia for the original SNES graphics, but it looks like a cheap flash game, especially that font :(...

Started replaying FF9
Got to the 1st town in the game and stopped at the inn

PSOGL2_001.jpg

Zidane and Stiener get into a fight, vivi don't give a shit

PSOGL2_002.jpg

Killed off Waltz 2 and 3. Sure they basically destroyed our airship, but the old girl can still get us to our destination.

PSOGL2_004.jpg

Arriving at Lidlum's throne room and Regent Cid is an Oglop!

PSOGL2_006.jpg

Turlast

Banned
Yay, first post!!

This topic motivated me to get back into the Final Fantasy series, and since reading this thread, I've been playing through Final Fantasy VIII. I just got to disc 2, and I'm trying to save Squall and escape the prison now.

While I'm enjoying it, I really hate how weak Rinoa, Quistis, and Irvine are compared to my Squall, Zell, and Selphie. The latter group are around level 50 or more, while no one in the former is above level 18. Now I'm wondering how I can get them up to a respectable level because I can see boss fights becoming really brutal when I have to use them.

jwhit28

Started replaying FF9

Are you using an emulator? I couldn't get any of the video plug-ins to work without having a lot of screen tearing except the software one, but that doesn't offer much in terms of making the game look good at such a high resolution. So I went with the PSP version.

Kazzy

Wow, those FF9 screens look wonderful. Impressive as they are though, am I alone in thinking they look a little too clean? The distinction between the characters and the backgrounds becomes all too apparent when its up-scaled like that.

Are you using an emulator? I couldn't get any of the video plug-ins to work without having a lot of screen tearing except the software one, but that doesn't offer much in terms of making the game look good at such a high resolution. So I went with the PSP version.
Yeah, espxe. For the plugin, I'm using pete's openGL2 driver 2.9. I'm using graphicshaders\Misc. shaders\AA shader+Natural Shader\ for the shader. Makes the backgrounds scale up a little bit and gives a little bloom effect on the models. The original game is rendered at such a small resolution the backgrounds don't scale very well. So I'm only playing at 640x480 in a window. It allows me to do other stuff while playing.

Phatcorns

Finally started finishing my old FF6 Advance save. Is there a better game than FF6? I don't think so. It tells so much adventure and emotion in such a succinct form. I feel like I've actually lived the life that happens in the game.

Also just ordered FFV Advance. I still have my box and manual and stuff for it but gave my cartridge away like an idiot because I thought I'd never play it.

BocoDragon

that version of FFIV doesn't look very good to me. Probably just nostalgia for the original SNES graphics, but it looks like a cheap flash game, especially that font :(...

To gamers of a certain age, high res sprites = "flash game".

But I'm not going to argue that the look of it is perfect.

BocoDragon

How much did you pay? And Micro? Ballerrrrr.

$30. It's mint + complete, so not bad.

V and VI Advance were pretty much the only FF releases since III on SNES that I don't have, so it has completionist value to me, aside from the game itself ;)

And I've had the North American Famicom Micro since it was on clearance for $60 ;)

There are really no downgrades in the GBA version of FF5. It really is the way to go.

I was surprised by how decent it looks and sounds! Great on the Micro!

I've..... never played FF5 much. I've always waited for the perfect venue, but between the cruddy PS1 port, the fact that I am not fluent enough in Japanese to enjoy the SFC cart, and the purist in me which can never enjoy an FF on emulation, the GBA version is the way to go (and I dissed that version for so long too -_- I thought it would be aesthetically inferior, but it's not bad at all.)

rybrad

Finally started finishing my old FF6 Advance save. Is there a better game than FF6? I don't think so. It tells so much adventure and emotion in such a succinct form. I feel like I've actually lived the life that happens in the game.

Also just ordered FFV Advance. I still have my box and manual and stuff for it but gave my cartridge away like an idiot because I thought I'd never play it.
I absolutely love VI, it left such an awesome impression on young me. Is the Advance version the best version (ala V advance) readily available now? I have the Anthology version but the load times are really annoying.

Top Bottom