• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In honor of Final Fantasy's 25th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

Anteater

Took forever to steal that coral sword off Lani at Fossil Roo, will continue tomorrow! Disc 2 of ffix seems longer than disc1, or maybe disc 1 was just short.

I've played VII 3 separate times and still don't really understand what the story is about. Are there any good synopsis you guys suggest?

What is it about the story you don't understand? Aside from maybe the Cloud/Sephiroth dynamic, the story is pretty easy to get.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I'm hearing that the International Version of Final Fantasy XII is a much better game than the standard version. I'm curious as to what's different.

Suairyu

Banned
There's a faster game speed and the license grid is job based instead.
I hesitate to play the international version. Job systems I can dig, but only one job per character? I hate having to lock myself into playstyles for 100+ hour games, knowing I could have picked different and be doing other things.

In XII, my character each performed specific jobs and I bought licenses individually for each of them to fit around that, but I could always adjust that by grinding out a new path for them if I changed my mind.

It also doesn't help that outside of obvious range and melee characters, none of the character designs show any particular affinity towards a job type. Each being a jack of all trades fitted the designs.

They're all over the wiki, including sometimes art for characters he didn't even design.

Special note: don't rely on the wiki for gameplay advice, it's flat-out wrong in a lot of cases.

I was referring to the ones posted on the FFVII anniversary thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34858037&postcount=902

BTW, hopefully those of you playing FFV Advance are playing the European version, which had the clock fixes. A near must for the Odin battle. Also, there's that one sound improvement hack. I wonder how far that's come.

BTW, hopefully those of you playing FFV Advance are playing the European version, which had the clock fixes. A near must for the Odin battle. Also, there's that one sound improvement hack. I wonder how far that's come.

Does anyone really do that battle honestly?

Also, I was aware FF4 Advance had plenty of fixes in Europe, but I wasn't aware of any in FF5. What got fixed/changed?

stupei

Haven't been keeping everyone up to date because I'm playing FF3 on my DS and screenshots from that would be unpleasant for most of the thread for a huge variety of reasons. But! I've started to hit my stride there I think and have gotten the hang of the systems again. Was playing way more SMT lately and it takes a brief period of adjustment.

But thanks to this thread I'm going to load CFW back onto my PSP and chronicle my journey through FF8. Already I've come to realize that there was a LOT of homoeroticism between Seifer and Squall that my apparently very naive and innocent younger self didn't pick up on. Also, Squall is the opposite of smooth. I know this is all equivalent of "sky is blue," but it's news to me!

I started playing the first Final Fantasy last week thanks to this thread but now that I've been approved I think I'll restart it (I'm at Melmond) and post pics (if I get my PSP to take screenshots).

(yay, first post!)

Welcome to GAF.

Ultratech

Also, I was aware FF4 Advance had plenty of fixes in Europe, but I wasn't aware of any in FF5. What got fixed/changed?

Sorta what I could find:
~No double-turning
~Moves (both yours and the enemies') go through more as intended (no four-turn wait for Jump, and such)
~Menus are more responsive (not completely fixed, but now a rare occurance)
~Screen jitter has been reduced
~Back row weapons work (their accuracy was cut before)
~Gilgamesh -> Gil Turtle
~Yang's HP cap is gone
~Not really a "fix", but the English used is identical to the US script, which is good for States-side importers

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Is there anything notably wrong with the EU PSN versions of FF7/8/9?

I have the disc versions of all of them, but my FF7 disc 2 doesn't work properly and FF9 disc 1 doesn't load at all these days iirc.
I remember hearing something about the aspect or something or other with the EU PSN versions of one the games, though I don't know if that was sorted or was even try in the first place, figured I would ask seeing as they are on sale and would be great to always have a digital version instead of damaging my existing copies anymore.

StuBurns

Banned
GAF. XIII-2 or all the PSone Final Fantasies on PSN? (I've never played any of them).
4/5/6/7/8/9 are all better than XIII-2 (so far at least, I'm ten hours in).

EDIT: As charlequin mentions below, the SNES ports aren't great on PS1. Although if you're including PSP games under PSN, 4 on PSP is great.

But! I've started to hit my stride there I think and have gotten the hang of the systems again.

Rad! How far are you?

But thanks to this thread I'm going to load CFW back onto my PSP and chronicle my journey through FF8.

Looking forward to it.

GAF. XIII-2 or all the PSone Final Fantasies on PSN? (I've never played any of them).

Both? :p

Honestly, I think everyone in the world should play FF7 at least once. Do that at least.

(For the love of all that's holy, don't play the PSOne versions of 4, 5, or 6 if you've never played them before.)

I just started FF6 on the GBA, are there any big things I should avoid so I don't F. up my game or character mix or anything (non-story related) I should know about?

I just started FF6 on the GBA, are there any big things I should avoid so I don't F. up my game or character mix or anything (non-story related) I should know about?

It's pretty close to impossible to fuck up your game in FF6; there's a bunch of missable stuff, but nothing that should really impact your ability to complete or enjoy the game. Feel free to ask if you have any questions as you're playing, though!

It's pretty close to impossible to fuck up your game in FF6; there's a bunch of missable stuff, but nothing that should really impact your ability to complete or enjoy the game. Feel free to ask if you have any questions as you're playing, though!
That's good to hear, and will do!

Heropon

Thanks to Stumpokapow CFW tutorials my PSP is ready for this challenge. So I think I'll begin tomorrow.
Now I have several pic problems:
-Final Fantasy III: DS version.
-Final Fantasy VI: Wii VC version.
-Final Fantasy X, X-2, XII, XIII: PS2 and PS3.

I don't know what to do with them. I hope you guys give me some advice.
Nine of my playthroughs will be in Spanish, I hope you don't care.

Psxphile

Cloud/Sephiroth/and later on Zack's relationship. What the hell is Jenova?

Best I can remember:

Jenova was
an alien lifeform that fell from space hundreds (?) of years ago. "Infected" the planet in some way. The Ancients, who were in tune with the planet, felt its pain and set upon to heal the planet and be rid of Jenova. This endeavor nearly caused the race to die out. Ever since their people were scattered and few. Apparently Jenova's body was sealed away before it was found by the Shin-ra.

Cloud/Sephiroth/Zack:
Sephiroth was an experiment by the Shin-ra company to create a super soldier using cells from Jenova. He was renowned throughout the land, and was Cloud's role-model when he was a kid. Cloud left Nibelheim to join the Shin-ra army and hopefully make it into SOLDIER. He failed and remained a lowly Shin-ra guard. But during one mission he befriended a 1st Class SOLDIER by the name of Zack. Eventually, he returns to Nibelheim w/ Zack and Sephiroth during the Mt. Nibel reactor incident. Sephiroth discovers monsters are being created inside the reactor, puts 2 and -1 together and thinks he's one too, goes mad and destroys the town. Zack confronts him but is knocked out. Cloud goes after him too but is impaled on Seph's sword. Somehow, Cloud manages to grip the sword and drop Sephiroth into the reactor.

The Shin-ra arrrive. Hojo has both Zack and Cloud detained. For what was apparently 5 years both were trapped inside the Shin-ra mansion being experimented on. Jenova cells are implanted into Cloud, but they apparently don't take. Hojo considers him a failure. Before they could be disposed of, Zack breaks them out and they go on the run. At this point Cloud's mind is mostly gone, Zack tries his best to keep his mind stable by telling him his plans for their future. They eventually reach Midgar but the Shin-ra find them and kill Zack, leaving Cloud for dead. Cloud takes Zack's sword and somehow manages to find his way into the Sector 7 slums where Tifa finds him. From this point he adopts Zack's persona when dealing with everyone, possibly due to Jenova's influence or because of Tifa. Or maybe both, it's hard to say.

This stuff is all presented in inference and out of linear order, plus the translation obscures it, so I don't blame people for getting confused.

Jenova is an alien that crashes on the planet and wants to conquer and destroy everything; her influence causes the Ancients (the progenitor race) to almost die out, paving the way for humans to take over the planet, but their last act as a society is to seal her away.

Way, way later, Shinra unearth and study Jenova, mistakenly believing that she is an Ancient. They start experimenting with creating super-powerful soldiers by injecting them with cells from Jenova. Sephiroth is their best result, and he's a superstar SOLDIER for Shinra until he finds out about his origin, goes insane, and decides to dedicate himself to Jenova's goal of world conquest instead.

Zack and Cloud are both working for Shinra; Zack is a hotshot and Cloud is a crappy low-level SOLDIER. They're both at Niblheim when Sephiroth goes insane; Cloud chases him into the Reactor and kills him. In the aftermath, both get captured by Shinra and dragged to the mansion, where they do all kinds of Mako-based experiments on both of them. They eventually escape, and Zack is killed by the Shinra soldiers who are chasing them, giving Cloud the chance to escape. Because he's crazy from the experimentation and ashamed of how shitty he is at everything, Cloud takes Zack's Buster Sword and claims Zack's achievements as his own, which is why Tifa is really, really confused about the obvious lies Cloud is constantly telling and why Aeris (Zack's girlfriend) feels like there's something familiar about him.

The Sephiroth who you see throughout the game isn't the real one, who Cloud tossed in the reactor; he's a psychic projection of Jenova. He finds all the other people who have Jenova cells and essentially enslaves them; he tricks Cloud (whose memories of everything are incomplete and misleading) into believing he's a slave of Jenova too, which he eventually realizes is false when he recovers his real memories.

I think that's all accurate, but someone who's played more recently than me may want to correct it a bit, heh.

I'm gonna spoiler this whole thing just in case someone who hasn't played FFVII wanders in here.

Jenova is an alien. It crashed onto the planet and, using it's natural abilities to transform/mimic things, started killing off the Cetra and/or turned them into monsters. Eventually the last few Cetra contained it in the Northern Crater (where it first crash-landed), but some time before the events of FFVII, it was discovered and mistakenly identified as a Cetra. Shinra tried to inject people with Jenova cells in the hopes that they would eventually find the "Promised Land" with tons of energy, but it never worked. They did find, however, that it turned those people into super soldiers. So they started doing it to high-ranking members of SOLDIER and those with potential.

- Cloud and Zack meet early, before the events of FFVII. Since they both come from "country towns" (Zack from Gongaga, Cloud from Nibelheim) they become friends. Zack is already a high-ranking member of SOLDIER at this point, while Cloud is just infantry.
- The Nibelheim Incident occurs. Sephiroth burns down the town and heads to Jenova's chamber. Zack tries, but fails, to stop Sephiroth. Cloud (who hid his identity from Tifa as seen in the game's cutscenes) runs the Buster Sword through Sephiroth. Sephiroth survives and impales Cloud with his own sword, but Cloud overpowers him and tosses Sephiroth into the Lifestream before collapsing.
- Shinra comes to Nibelheim to cover everything up. The town was rebuilt, Shinra employees replaced the citizens, and Cloud & Zack were injected with Jenova's cells in what was basically a recreation of the SOLDIER process. Since Zack had already undergone the process once, he wasn't really affected by it. But Cloud, due to not being cut out to make it in SOLDIER and therefore not being able to handle the treatment, gets Mako Poisoning. Zack then carries him to their next destination (which was Midgar).
- During this entire time, Zack is practically relaying his life story to Cloud. Soon after, Zack is killed by Shinra, with Cloud as a witness. Cloud eventually makes it to Midgar on his own, but collapses again in front of the train station.
- Tifa happens upon him and tries talking to him. Due to the Jenova cells in his body, combined with his weakened and suggestible state of mind, Cloud impresses Zack's memories into his own, along with Tifa's memories of him and his own ideal image of himself as a SOLDIER, creating a new set of memories with an accompanying persona.

It's important to note that Sephiroth doesn't actually "die" in the traditional sense. He was chucked into the Lifestream, but through sheer force of will was able to survive and eventually reformed himself at the Northern Crater. Because of his time in the Lifestream with Jenova's head, he was able to control the pieces of Jenova remotely, which includes Cloud due to his injection with Jenova cells.

EDIT: COMPLETELY beaten. That's what I get for taking my sweet time.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Can you imagine all the possibilities another game in the compilation can bring to the table regarding Jenova's origins, hmmm deLOLicious.

Heropon

Can you imagine all the possibilities another game in the compilation can bring to the table regarding Jenova's origins, hmmm deLOLicious.

It seems interesting, but if they do another game I'm pretty sure we would get more Genesis. I can't wait for a game starring Genesis.

GmC, believe.

Early on during development, Jenova was supposed to be a dormant part of the human brain or cells, but Square eventually made her an alien instead. It seems that this scrapped concept evolved into the Mitochondria of Parasite Eve though.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Early on during development, Jenova was supposed to be a dormant part of the human brain or cells, but Square eventually made her an alien instead. It seems that this scrapped concept evolved into the Mitochondria of Parasite Eve though.
Makes sense with the thing about FF7 and PE sort of starting as a single project. Thanks for the info.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Seeing all these really nice FF1 PSP pics makes me wanna hunt down a copy even knowing I prolly won't like it just like all the other FFs save VII.

izyTqc6NyLU2f.jpg

After retrieving the Huge Materia from Fort Condor we backtrack to the Corel reactor to hijack one train to catch up with another and issue some beatdowns to any one and any thing on board. Luckily we stop the train in time to prevent it from destroying Corel again.

ibv6MkWCzyHKSK.jpg

Checking up on Cloud & Tifa is next on the agenda but WEAPON appears. The team manages to drive it away but Mideel is still in danger.

i9LRlDZeXmLX6.jpg

As the ground collapses beneath their feet, Cloud & Tifa tumble down into the lifestream. Tifa awakens inside his consciousness and decides to help piece together their past.

ibfixGgpeBsJdv.jpg

Tifa admits Sephiroth wasn't completely full of crap and Cloud recalls who the black haired SOLDIER was.

il8aSbOT4UMgA.jpg

As it turns out, Cloud himself wasn't completely full of crap himself. He was in Nibelheim 5 years ago and completely takes Sephiroth by surprise.

iiSD7CoeGRQtD.jpg

That's right...! Cloud was a lowly grunt instead of a SOLDIER. He did seem to have a friend in Zack however, who leaves it up to Cloud to dispatch Sephiroth.

iAtjnHec7Uwln.jpg

And dispatch he does. Despite being impaled he uses leverage to lift Sephiroth up and toss him down into the reactor. With their memories sorted out the two rise up out of the lifestream to their waiting friends.

iHYPoy4lOV4dr.jpg

After apologies, pep talks, and even understanding from the crew its off to Junon! Where oddly enough something feels off...

ierRk4L2svehY.jpg

Suffice to say, neither of them stayed alive. Some more running around leads us down to the bottom of the sea! Is there anywhere this game won't take us?

irFoXYxaIhaLh.jpg

Reno is a coward who runs off to protect the Huge Materia leaving us to fight this painful mechanized boss about 5 times... x_x

Beth Cyra

I really hope we eventually get a BC remake so we can experince that part of the story.

Several little bits add to things to make them clearer and I would love to play it. I remember reading some bits of translations that had mentioned that we got to see more of Zack/Cloud/Sephiroth postive style relationship as well as forshadowing when it comes to Cloud being a exceptional swordsmen even before the Jenova Shower he got.

Anyhow, It's end-of-act boss rush time.

Boss 1: Purobolos
6 bomb-type enemies that will do what bombs are known for if you let them. There's the additional complication that they use arise as a final attack, reviving any of them that have been killed.

They're vulnerable to the stop song from bards, but it turns out I didn't really have to bother. Aqua breath did a fine job of taking them all out simultaneously.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_01-8.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_04-7.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_06-5.png

Boss 2: Titan
The only one of these that's actually hard, Titan uses Earth Shaker during the fight and when killed to do a lot of damage to the entire party.

This one didn't go as smoothly. Lenna took this opportunity to show off why Dragoons are awesome (although I could have done just as well using Hide). The upside is that I just gained the strongest form of offense I'm going to have for all of the second world.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_09-6.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_11-2.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_12-3.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_13-1.png

Boss 3: Manticore
Not very hard. Uses Aqua breath to do damage to the party, but it does about half of the Damage of Earth Shaker.

He's also not immune to gravity-type spells. Missile away!
FinalFantasyVAdvance_16-2.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_17-3.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_20-3.png

And so this is the party at the end of world 1.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_21-4.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_22-5.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_23-4.png

Amory

Never played a final fantasy game in my life...and not many turn based JRPGs in general for that matter. Usually I'll pick one up and play it for ~8 hours until I hit a boss that kicks my ass and would require a bunch of level grinding, and then put it away and never play again.

So yesterday I downloaded FF1 off the virtual console, and started playing. I got a fighter, red mage, white mage, and thief in my party. I have no idea if this is a solid party or not, and I honestly have no clue what good the thief is because he can't use magic and his attacks pretty much suck.

I killed a bunch of imps and spiders and such, saved a princess, and got to a town that's been overtaken by pirates. Blew my mind that saving costs money lol. Also find it pretty annoying that the game doesn't tell you which characters can equip which weapons and armor before you buy them :-/

I'm going to try to commit to finishing at least this one game and then decide whether or not I want to try FF2. A question I have with JRPGs in general is, how do you know when to grind levels, and how do you know what level you should get to before you progress?

So I mentioned earlier that I was doing this here is the order that I plan to complete all the games and the platform I choose to complete them on. The only FF I will not be completing is FF13

FF9 = PS1/PS2
FFX = PS2
FF12 = PS2
FF1 = iOS
FF2 = iOS
FF3 = iOS
FF4 = GBA/DSL
FF5 = GBA/DSL
FF6 = GBA/DSL
FF7 =PS1/PS2
FF8 = PS1/PS2

Hopefully I can pull it off!

Lindbergh

So yesterday I downloaded FF1 off the virtual console, and started playing. I got a fighter, red mage, white mage, and thief in my party. I have no idea if this is a solid party or not, and I honestly have no clue what good the thief is because he can't use magic and his attacks pretty much suck.

I killed a bunch of imps and spiders and such, saved a princess, and got to a town that's been overtaken by pirates. Blew my mind that saving costs money lol. Also find it pretty annoying that the game doesn't tell you which characters can equip which weapons and armor before you buy them :-/

I'm going to try to commit to finishing at least this one game and then decide whether or not I want to try FF2. A question I have with JRPGs in general is, how do you know when to grind levels, and how do you know what level you should get to before you progress?

Most likely, you're gonna love the Thief later on in the game. And yeah, that game doesn't have a lot of conventions we take for granted in modern RPGs.

As for leveling-up, I usually decide that you're at a good level when enemies on average give you less than 10% of the next lvl-up EXP.

Amory

Most likely, you're gonna love the Thief later on in the game. And yeah, that game doesn't have a lot of conventions we take for granted in modern RPGs.

As for leveling-up, I usually decide that you're at a good level when enemies on average give you less than 10% of the next lvl-up EXP.

That's a pretty easy formula, thanks.

Glad to hear the thief isn't a total waste, but why?? What gets better? He's currently awful at pretty much everything.

Lindbergh

Glad to hear the thief isn't a total waste, but why?? What gets better? He's currently awful at pretty much everything.

Don't want to spoil. You can read if you want:
At some point, you get the option to level up your party's classes. The Thief becomes a Ninja and is able to wield real good weapons as well as cast low-mid Black Magic. Don't know about his stat changes though.

Kinyou

Hey Gaf, as you probably know are the FF games on PSN currently on Sale. Can you tell me which one to buy? From the looks am I the most interested in FF8 but I keep hearing that FF9 is supposed the best one. (It would be my first FF game btw.)

Amory

I've been using Gamefaqs for this. ;)

I'll probably start doing that too. It's become a sort of irritating metagame to try and decode everything they're throwing at me. For example, I sat for a good 3 or 4 minutes at the weapon store looking at the word "Wood" and then a tiny drawing of something that resembled a staff but I couldn't quite be sure. Then I bought chain armor for everyone and had to sell 3 of them back at half price, then I bought 3 wood armor and had to sell 2 back at half price, then I couldn't be sure if my thief would be allowed to equip a rapier.

Ah NES games. Built for a different kind of gamer.

Lindbergh

Ah NES games. Built for a different kind of gamer.

Well, Nintendo put out a really baller guide to everything for the game back in 1990. Equipment, detailed enemy profiles, oh yeah I remember it saying that lvl.27 is a good level for the final boss. So that should give you can idea where to be around then.

Parasite Eve was the dumping ground for all of Sakaguchi's ideas that didn't make it into FF7; the idea of an RPG set in modern New York City was also a rejected FF7 idea.

A question I have with JRPGs in general is, how do you know when to grind levels, and how do you know what level you should get to before you progress?

Well, in the FF games post-4, you will be basically guaranteed to be high-enough level for every boss just by playing the dungeons before it normally and not running away from fights.

Lindbergh

Thought Parasite Eve was written separately. Its novel was released before FF7.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
iu7PfAQ0QWqeX.jpg

After beating that boss less times then it beat us we hijack a submarine and shoot down the sub with the Huge Materia on it in just 42 seconds. Wasn't Reno on that sub? I guess he's dead now. A little undersea exploration leads us to a key thats thousands of years old.

iy4lL4hwLgdIZ.jpg

Rushing back to Rocket Town we beat up more grunts and board the rocket to get the last Huge Materia. However Cid goes off on a tangent which gives Palmer enough time to blast us off into space! Looks like Team Avalanche is blasting off again!

imoYpUdsjoeuC.jpg

While heading for the escape pod Cid gets caught up in a minor explosion and finally comes to forgive Shera. As the pod descends back down to the planet, old Shinra No.26 collides directly into Meteor.

ibk2mft6kR7K8w.jpg

But despite the explosion it did little to no damage. With Bugenhagen in tow its back to the Ancient City to try and understand what Aeris was doing before she died. Her prayers turned her "useless" white materia pale green meaning Holy should be summoned to stop Meteor... and yet nothing has come of it.

iNuCvCnKTF01p.jpg

Cait Sith informs us the giant cannon has been moved to Midgar and Rufus plans to use it to attack Sephiroth! On the way back to the airship Diamond WEAPON rises from the sea intent on attacking Midgar. In order to defend the people of the city we decide to wait for its slow ass to get onto dry land.

ib1TrY2oAbP4hk.jpg

This thing can only be damaged by magic and limit breaks, both of which the group has in short supply. Even so we stand our ground. However it ignores us and goes off to attack the city as planned. Rufus then gives the order to fire the mako powered cannon...

ibs1V7QRmmVil9.jpg

Which completely murders the WEAPON. Shinra: 2, Avanlanche: 0. Not only that but it also destroys Sephiroths barrier giving us access to the crater in which he resides.

ibz9VRsjiTKYbY.jpg

This is not a one-sided victory though. Diamonds attacks reach Midgar, including Rufus' office. Cool to the very end he dies (no matter what some dumb movie I never saw has to say). Meanwhile Hojo has his own plans. He's going to overload all of the cities reactors just to send some mako Sephiroths way and in the process kill darn near everybody in the city. What a whackjob!

Aeana

A question I have with JRPGs in general is, how do you know when to grind levels, and how do you know what level you should get to before you progress?

You know you should grind levels when you've thought extremely hard about all of the options available to you through your abilities and bonuses granted by available equipment and still can't manage to beat something. You never need to grind in any FF game post-1 (and you really don't need to do it in 1, either).

Top Bottom