• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In honor of Final Fantasy's 25th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

Aeana

Killed by that filthy Cloud of Darkness. This walkthrough is over, I can't go through 2 stupid dungeons with 5 bosses only to die because that thing spams that attack again and again.

I'm so sad... I don't have words. But luckily, I like the next games much more. At this moment this game would have went down in my FF ranking if it weren't in the bottom already. :(

I'm sorry to hear that, but it isn't uncommon for people who play the DS version. :\
I wish I could get everybody to play the original.

Had a bit of celebration tonight at the Distant Worlds concert. Heard 'Eyes On Me' that was sung by Susan Calloway—awesome! Laughed so hard when people booed at the only piece of music from XI.

Well, my screenshots will stay a tad zoomed in. It doesn't look as good but if I use the original aspect ratio it becomes so small my head hurts while playing.

ANYWAY

Episode II: Little Big Adventure

After dropping Cid off in Canaan my team of Soup Ingredients learn about a new magic spell, which they have to get from a guy called Desh, who has last been seen in the mountains to the south.

oNoyB.jpg
pbow0.jpg

When suddenly A DRAGON arrives. What's with this game? I'm like three hours in and I've already seen airships and dragons and whatnot.

fd1mw.jpg

After a pretty uneventful climb (seriously, the enemies here were much weaker than the rest of the game), I find out that it is actually Bahamut's nest. And now we know where chocobo babies come from, bizzarely.

3fEJm.jpg
sjU4Z.jpg

Certainly, Bahamut doesn't like me hurting his baby chocobos, so he ATTACKS.

ZypVW.jpg

Oh God. I expected an instant Game Over here, but he wasn't actually hitting me that hard. So I decided to fight back...

... After THREE YEARS of hitting him, I decide to take Desh' advice and run for it. This actually worked, and I now have the spell I came for!

UFslw.jpg

Desh decided to join the party for no reason and together the adventurers enter the village of the tiny people. Cute! However isn't it kind of weird that all their interior is the same size as the ones normal humans use? Odd.

q1cqB.jpg
iGuyk.jpg

After finding out about a secret passageway, my tiny party actually gets attacked. It wasn't pretty, and thus I witnessed my first party wipe.

SVOV6.jpg
fZGKD.jpg

Not really knowing what the strategy was here, I decided to just run from every battle, in which I somehow barely succeeded. At the Viking lair, my party hears about a sea dragon, and it's up to them to do something about it. Luckily there is a shrine nearby with an item that can help them.

Ctg57.jpg
kbrw1.jpg

Noooo, not again! Urgh. Luckily this dungeon wasn't very big, as I've ran from all encounters again. But I still faced death at the hands of a ratt boss. Obviously I had to change my strategy.

kYcih.jpg

Let's try this again.

Riaa0.jpg

I must say, I really like the look of this dungeon. Even for just an 8bit game, the atmosphere here is great.

ZShNP.jpg
cDJjd.jpg

DIE, FOUL BEAST. This time it went a lot better. Victory!

9sY0d.jpg
GPHxV.jpg

Wait, what? You're telling me I have to WALK all the way back? Oh man, this game is brutal... Somehow, upon changing jobs again, I am now in control of a monk as my main character. Which is odd, because the character in my top slot is a fighter. What gives?

cDytD.jpg
wTNPc.jpg

There. My party enters their newly gained ship and decides to drop Desh off at his beloved.

HTPcW.jpg

... But Desh doesn't really want to stay here. He has something to do. What, we still don't know.

After sailing around for a bit, they enter a new village which has been totally wrecked by the army of an evil king. Oh no! But wait, what's this?

YLLl1.jpg

This is gonna be a long hike. After all, the City of the Ancients is located in another game entirely...

wbKoQ.jpg

But it's nothing our heroes can't handle. I just hope they won't get lost!

Part II END

Ourobolus

Banned
FFXIII-2 isn't really clicking with me. I still love the battle system, but man I could simply not care less about the story. It's the first time I've played a game where I've skipped cutscenes my first time through the game. I'll slog through it, but I'm going to have to start up FFI or FFIII on my PSP while cutscenes play.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I hope people aren't getting sick of FF3 screenshots by now. I promise this one will be rather short.

Ee54V.png

Now that I got the Nautilus, I can finally fly through this windy passage.

k7yzH.png
MRqWT.png
xtCRD.png

The encounter rate in this passage is brutal. The enemies are pretty easy, but you never get far until the next fight.

wfDBN.png
Fvj2s.png
8CDX4.png

I pulled through and reached Doga's Manor, only to be greeted by....moogles?

25XbK.png
gbCtb.png

No wait, this is the real master of the house. This is your typical "And now I'm going to tell you what the hell you're fighting for" moment.

KdUNe.png

Secret passage!

03Olr.png
7BhJO.png

Oh, come on! Again?

fcdKO.png

I was too stubborn to change jobs again. This is my party when I finished the dungeon, it worked out somehow (mostly because there's no boss in this dungeon).

0Bb8p.png
K72m3.png

And another one dead. Seems like FF IV is only the logical continuation of III.

4w4Eu.png
bcCf2.png
UMl1u.png

Now that I can dive, it is finally time to visit this strange village I've been eyeing for a "long" time. It's a village of Black Mages where you can buy almost every magic. I had to grind a little to buy all of them. 20000 gil per spell is a bit steep.

lb3Fu.png
sCTZH.png

And that's it. I guess I will play some more later today. It seems there is a lot of optional stuff to do soon. The DS version is at least close enough to the original that I can use its official guide for the Famicom version.

I loathe the Sealed Cavern with every fiber of my African-American being. It is the worst part of any game it appears in and I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate it. :mad:

Please tell me that after Rydia's Chapter, I'm done with it forever?

Heropon

I'm sorry to hear that, but it isn't uncommon for people who play the DS version. :\
I wish I could get everybody to play the original.

Thanks to this thread I started to like the original, and know why the DS version couldn't be the definitive version. In this walkthrough I understood how much damage the enemy number cap has done.

Although it doesn't look like it, I've beaten this game twice. I'm pretty sure I grinded past level 60 the first time, and I was 99 the last time because I wanted to kill the Iron Giant and use onion knights.

Thanks to my shitty internet connection there aren't FF4 screenshots for now. I suppose I'll update later. The PSP version is so faaaast compared to that game.

Heropon

Haven't had much of a chance to play the last few days. I started playing FF 3DS now instead of FF7.

Good Luck!

3eks2.png

Compared to FF3 this game is a cakewalk.

6jiiV.png
azjD5.png

Baron soldiers have taken the water crystal from Mysidia after mercilessly killing all that poor sprites. They aren't proud of what they have done, but the monsters attack. Cecil uses some army items to destroy them.

qJGTO.png
uvkHb.png

After we return to the castle we are greeted by that traitorous swine called Baigan. Who is he to say that to the king? Thanks to him, Cecil is downgraded.

1yfnv.png
b1s3Y.png

New mission: Give presents to the nice people of Mist. Kain is Cecil's best bro and shares with him this burden. Cecil is so angered that begins to pilfer the treasures.

EaFgA.png
Cx8Jb.png

Thanks to the time machines that are called beds, we will go to the day of tomorrow. On the way, Rosa gives us an interesting message. I'm awaiting that visit <3. And Cid scolds poor Cecil. This has been a tough day, I hope that "visit" makes up for that.

3RGVQ.png
5aMfz.png

Cecil talks with the pillow about his problems. No one cares about your inside conflicts, Cecil, shut up! Rosa visits Cecil, but he is so burdensome that she flees.

nTcvu.png

The sun rises, and so their quest began.

LIzsY.png

Next stop is Mist Cave. Since the enemies aren't tough I can use the auto-battle without thinking about it.

YOJXZ.png
Bb4fn.png

g6W25.png
Nd7Ej.png

First boss: Mist dragon. The strategy is the same as always, attack, attack, attack until he becomes mist. This is the first boss in a four games tradition of having a temporal counterattack form/pose. This time the punishment isn't very strong (unlike DS version).

Btqb7.png

Ups, that ring was a trap. Now the town is done for.

H8Yup.png
6Fycz.png

Our heroes don't tire of failing, poor girl.

WwJNS.png
uPT4S.png

Cecil and Kain are so evil they attack that little girl with sharp weapons. But she strikes back!

3qO03.png
z1ZEL.png

Thanks to that attack, our mighty evil hero Kain disappears.

StuBurns

Banned
Since this is the current FF thread, I thought I'd ask here.

Who directed FF1? I was just reading some TLS reviews, and one mentions it was the first game Sakaguchi directed since FF5, which surprised me because I thought he directed BD and LO, so I was looking at his game credits, and he is credited as director for FF2/3/4/5, I knew that, but he is only credited as 'Designer' for FF1? Did the famous father of Final Fantasy not direct the first entry?

Locke_211

Those shots of FF IV look really nice, can't believe people don't like them! Though I like the PSP FF1 too, which a lot of people seem not to.

Aeana

Since this is the current FF thread, I thought I'd ask here.

Who directed FF1? I was just reading some TLS reviews, and one mentions it was the first game Sakaguchi directed since FF5, which surprised me because I thought he directed BD and LO, so I was looking at his game credits, and he is credited as director for FF2/3/4/5, I knew that, but he is only credited as 'Designer' for FF1? Did the famous father of Final Fantasy not direct the first entry?

In the Japanese version, he is credited as "director and original planning."

Heropon

Those shots of FF IV look really nice, can't believe people don't like them! Though I like the PSP FF1 too, which a lot of people seem not to.
The monster sprites are really nice, but the character overworld and battle sprites look a little cheap, so there's a bit of inconsistency.

Johnas

The monster sprites are really nice, but the character overworld and battle sprites look a little cheap, so there's a bit of inconsistency.

I haven't played any of the PSP versions, but whenever I see screenshots the first thing that stabs me in the eyes is that font. Blech. Also, the variations in font size are really offputting.

I really like the idea behind the high-res 2D versions, I just don't think they quite pulled them off properly. Like I said though, I haven't played any of them, just going off of the screens I see here.

Anyway, after a few days of doing everything but, I'm finally set to finish FF2 today. Just entered the Jade Passage and the difficulty has noticeably spiked (PS1 Origins version).

Jucksalbe

Banned

FF IV CC looks really nice, but only in some parts. Mainly the monster design and magic effects. What's irritating on the other hand is the awful, awful font, it's not even something you get used to. The character sprites look very cheap most of the time, too. I think overall it's still the best looking version, but there's also not as much contest as with FF I & II.
They both don't have as much problems as FF IV CC, but the PSX/Wonderswan versions have their own charm which I prefer, but that mostly depends on my mood. Both versions are great.

wabo

Banned
I'm playing FFXIII. Is that considered "honoring"?

Anyway, I've bought FFVII, FFVIII and FFIX to play them in it's blocky glory on my PS3.

About FFXIII, meh. Makes everything deliberately long and slow. Cristarium feels a bit broken system for me and battling can be tedious however I keep playing, hoping for the story to get better.

Zing

Banned
I've yet to play through Final Fantasy VI, but I have the Super NES version waiting for me when I am ready. I played the game at its release, but quit sometime around the fight with the train.

What I hate most about FFIVCC is the ridiculously loud high pitched SFX in the menus. It's the same bullshit Pokémon games has. No one wants to hear those shitty ear piercing sound effects that is 10 times louder than anything else.

I've yet to play through Final Fantasy VI, but I have the Super NES version waiting for me when I am ready. I played the game at its release, but quit sometime around the fight with the train.

Wow. I don't even like FF6 that much, but the Ghost Train is an amazing section. Go back to it!

aknbad30

Banned
Kehj6.png
6yIZX.png

Let's return to Altair to see if there's something to do. It seems Hilda has a strange behaviour and Firion takes that chance to entice her, or is she the one who is interested?

e8Lpc.png
RY1X0.png

TRAP! It seems the recued princess was an emperor's pet. After some failed confuse-inducing techniques the snake bites the dust. What an embarrasing situation.

s6KBe.png
O6GII.png

Surprise, surprise, the real Hilda is in Palamecia. Let's rescue her and kill that evil emperor. Gordon insists in going with the group. I don't complain, Leila and Gordon are equally useless.

NKmCb.png
ewLti.png

After a long trip through the desert, Gordon and his lackeys enter the colosseum. Another trap, the emperor releases a behemoth to fight the party. The poor critter dies in a matter of seconds.

XKPWl.png
ZPPPU.png

After a failed attempt to assassinate the evil emperor the party is captured by the baddies.

ewi9v.png
jx64L.png

Afortunately, they are rescued by Lucca Paul. In their way out, the random ambushes give a littlae amount of problems.

PzaLq.png

Hilda is waiting in one of the cells. Love is in the air <3 <3 <3. Barret convinces the party that they should go in two groups, as that travelling all of them through the fields would draw the attention of the enemies. Gordon and Hilda exit the place together.

6n0yQ.png
uvryp.png

After a long trip, the party goes to Altair. Gordon and Hilda haven't been wasting time: the rebel army will retake Fynn. Gordon shows his super ultra deluxe tactics with a strategy that only one of the most intelligent people in the world could have thought. The empire is doomed with Gordon's skills.

dSKY6.png
7av0N.png

The party get into the castle through a series of tunnels, caves, mines and sewers the front door. After feeling empty for a grand total of five minutes, Leila fills the deep hole left by Gordon. The party finds and kills the castellan. He had a name so he should be some important person.

pHYWA.png
VjXa9.png

Next mission: Ultima
-Objectives: Waste time so the enemy can destroy things again.
-Real Objective: Get some ultimate magic.
-Quest chain: white mask + black mask =>crystal rod =>tower (tome)

DPBbI.png
0Rw9W.png

Let's get some information about how to get the white mask hidden in the castle. Paul tells the troop where is the secret passage. He doesn't know that we aren't collectors, we're adventurers.

jbAWu.png

The mask is easily obtained. Next step: The black mask.

yE5gX.png
lpyiP.png

The party visits a cave in a faraway island. In the deepest depths they find a group of monsters guarding the mask.

Lx7bt.png

Gotcha!

Ype9h.png
t7NcY.png

The party places the masks in a statue in Mysidia and in a doppelganger so they can get the crystal rod.

H7fh8.png
6Riog.png

In this cave the legendary Osmose Tome is waiting for us. I think this spell is more relevant to my interests than Ultima, but Hilda wants some ultimate power, so the quest continues. At last, the crystal rod is ours.

NSB3F.png
ibsle.png

The bad luck attacks the ship.

fX6CB.png
sVX5e.png

It seems Leila is dead, I'm sooooo sad. The party finds a good replacement.

DGWSo.png
A48hb.png

Crystal rods are so easy to find, why did we have to do all those things to get one!!!????? The party defeats a worm and gets back their ship.

RSUjO.png

After all the misfortunes, the party goes into the Mysidian Tower.

8rGU9.png
hiNmO.png
OxxIV.png
ZUWEn.png

Our heroes fight a series of transforming wizards during the ascent.

Zjtao.png
8x0ol.png

It seems Gottos is a species of monster and not a famous castellan, what a disappoinment. Is the White Dragon the first optional boss in Final Fantasy? I think it's weak to fire spells so I burninate it.

VEPps.png
wpre3.png

Minwu is waiting in the last floor and uses all of his vital energy to break a seal. It's sad dying for nothing as I won't use that Ultima spell much. Death counter: 5.

tEtPZ.png

In the Ultima Tome room they find a series of stat booster orbs. Unfortunately, one goes to the new guy.

h7J26.png
dWoVb.png

Let's tell Hilda our results. It seems that something bad has happened while we were in our leisure trip. Leila is alive but the arbitrary headcount limit repels her of our group, great!

zfwQg.png
Sknw2.png

The princess informs us of all the casualties caused by an evil cyclone created by the evil emperor. How evil! Let's get the legendary Boss-slayer sword.

lZERv.png
pFKtU.png

With some proper equipment, the party calls the last wyvern so they can settle things with the cyclone.

K2VJB.png
J6xAt.png

The building is full of monsters and playful dragons. The party tames them all.

7qnIK.png
hDrme.png

These are your last words, ya' murderer. Mateus is a coward, so he sends his minions to defend him. But that is useless, he is crushed like a bug.

OenTH.png
mxwHo.png

YESSSSSSSSS! The emperor dies and everyone is happy.

ZuSXy.png
pqzde.png

Party time! Why are Gordon and Hilda in reversed positions? Is Gordon the real princess?

RPFAN.png
bP5mH.png

Happiness isn't permanent, a new enemy rises: Leon, the new emperor. The soldier without name pulls the switch and increases the death counter(6).

642zw.png
shVvu.png

We need something to enter the castle, so we visit uncle Cid. The first Cid dies and he gives us an airship (7).

DE7K1.png
tXiKn.png

Thanks to Cid's gift the party can sneak into the castle.

Ypj7o.png
z1iyh.png

The party reunites with Leon and the evil emperor. He's so evil that he tries to kill us all.

4d2Wl.png
1W4RS.png

Ricard sacrifices himself so the others can scape, no!!!!!!!!! you were a good partner. This teaches us one lesson: if you are a crappy character, you survive. The pandemonium emerges in the place where Palamecia was.

6oU9d.png
Qshq4.png

Leon is the newest and last addition to the party. Our lovely heroes go to Deist and tell the woman and the kid about Ricard's sacrifice. The reward is the mighty Excalibur.

omaaX.png
1wlc4.png
nCBaP.png
OTdsx.png

The group goes to defeat the emperor, but they have go through the jade passage if they want to go to Pandemonium. In this place, they find a series of magic chests with monsters in them. Thanks to the blood sword, they die easily.

cCvbI.png
Z9uo9.png

Bi7Nl.png
a6CeR.png

The party reaches Pandemonium. They try to fight all the bosses in there, but the Iron Giant hides well.

qawwh.png
fqPLJ.png

The final showdown against the emperor, who will win? The blood sword makes this final battle easy.

bt63A.png
SS7sG.png

You are no match for us, loser. That wasn't very climatic.

LUCAu.png
pipcj.png

Everyone is happy thanks to the hard work of Firion, Maria, Guy, Leon and the dead partners. The alive can see for a brief time some Star Wars ghosts.

0yGIR.png

Woo, 1991, what a coincidence.

THE END

Next is FFIII. As I can't take direct screenshots, I think I'll update progress sometimes.

Can anybody tell me which FF this is and what it's being played on?

Zing

Banned
Wow. I don't even like FF6 that much, but the Ghost Train is an amazing section. Go back to it!

I don't think I quit due to the train. I was already not enjoying the game. It's been almost 20 years, but I recall my chief complaint being how frequently the party splits up and changes.

I don't think I quit due to the train. I was already not enjoying the game. It's been almost 20 years, but I recall my chief complaint being how frequently the party splits up and changes.

Yeah, that was one of my major gripes with it too. Couldn't stand that shit at all.

Johnas

So I started using the Blood Sword for the first time in the final two dungeons of FFII, and wow. Two hits on the final boss?

Anyway, great game, very glad I finally played through it. Kind of dumb that the game makes you (unknowingly) play through on Easy mode the first time through. How much different is "Normal" mode? Not that I'll be replaying it anytime soon.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Now that I've got my submarine it's time for two short optional dungeons.

HbTjP.png
jPTBj.png
L0Cew.png

The Undersea Cave is found in an island in the southeast of the map. The enemies here can hit pretty hard (~400 HP per hit), but there's real no boss, so you can go all out (Quake is great!).

2hLdB.png
jLSwy.png

There's a lot of treasure to be found here. Most notably the Defender sword. The pictures above show my attack value before and after I equipped it. Most of the other stuff you can find are armors, helmets, shields which I could only use on my Knight. They're not as much of an improvement as the sword, but they're still nice to have.

T8Qrk.png
UoKOn.png

kHAq0.png
vJURS.png

In a secret passage are four treasure chests, each guarded by a different mini boss. They're all very very weak, but the treasure's not that good either.

U7yMe.png

All treasure chests opened. I'm done here. Exit! (oh crap, used up all my magic, OtterHead!)

e5MCL.png
3h2b5.png
2E5hb.png

The other dungeon is actually located beneath Salonia Castle. The dungeon itself is pretty easy, the items you can find here are mostly the same as in the Undersea Cave, so nothing new here (but expensive stuff to sell!). But this dungeon is different, it has a boss fight. And the boss is....

kkrdt.png
OuRso.png
u9hE6.png

...Odin! That sucker uses the same attack over and over again and it targets everyone and can hit very differently for each character. The worst he did was ~1500 damage on my Karateka which is why he didn't survive this fight for long. My Black Mage managed to use Bio quite a few times before he died, too. The rest was done by my hastened Knight and Aero2 spells. Actually the fight wasn't that bad.

7yrll.png
4SFQu.png

And that's it! Next up: the Temple of Time (I think).

Ultratech

So I started using the Blood Sword for the first time in the final two dungeons of FFII, and wow. Two hits on the final boss?

Anyway, great game, very glad I finally played through it. Kind of dumb that the game makes you (unknowingly) play through on Easy mode the first time through. How much different is "Normal" mode? Not that I'll be replaying it anytime soon.

Yeah, the Blood Sword deals something like 1/16 of an target's Max HP per hit. (I think that's right...) So 8 hits would hit the enemy for 50% of their health. Very broken vs. High HP enemies.

IIRC, Normal mode disables a lot of the "extra" stuff like Auto-Targetting, Dashing, and the Minimap. Not sure what else it changes. Makes it closer to the original game.

Heropon

66hZO.png
fce0x.png

Cecil takes the girl to an inn in Kaipo, a town in the desert. Second boss fight?, General and soldiers. Attack to the soldiers, and if you take too much time to kill the general after his subordinates die, he flees. I think that if he dies first the others become confused, but maybe that's another battle. Pretty easy fight. I forgot to take a screenshot of Rydia's forgiving Cecil. Now they are companions.

MLD2o.png
4pFqv.png

It seems Rosa arrived at Kaipo while we were in the inn. Now she's ill and we've got to save her. Before we go to the next destination, Rydia grinds a little with the local fauna so she doesn't die of one hit. Rydia can use her rod in battle to use a magic arrow attack. I think it was better in the DS version, but it's a good replacement to the attack command (in the DS version I used that as a replacement literally. In this game thanks to autobattle / remember last command it's easy to use it repeatedly).

HR0nN.png
IswXC.png

The sage Tellah is blocking our way to Damcyan and we decide to go together. Tellah is a Jack of all trades, master of none type of character, I lie, he wishes he was like the almighty red mage, Lady Refia or the FF2 heroes. This time it doesn't matter very much, but it's problematic later. He gives us a tutorial about save points (these would've come handy in FF3, right Cloud of Darkness?) and tents.

piuwO.png
BwLyN.png

These guys are practically immune to Cecil's dark blade. Luckily, Tellah gives them a lesson. The only good thing about Tellah is being the only person who knows white magic that uses Osmose (but don't use that on zombies or he will end with even less MP).

rdT4g.png
iGIw0.png

Tellah's spirit is pathetic, so Rydia has to take care of the situation. The random chests have some interesting goodies.

j7Vte.png
EBqzz.png

Afterwards, the group jump from the top of a waterfall, but they aren't attacked by piranhas. A little later, they find a vicious octopus.

W0ozP.png

Third boss battle, Octomammoth: The strategy is simple, attack until he dies. It's that easy. The most interesting thing about this battle is that it loses tentacles.

tGQSP.png
O37jh.png

Just before reaching Damcyan, it's attacked by the red wings. What did happen? We'll see it tomorrow.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Damn PSP Final Fantasy looks soooo good! I'd love to see a FFV'ita (get it?! get it?!) version for the next two games in the series.

I think I'm going to try and play through II on GBA when my new DS Lite arrives.

Johnas

Yeah, the Blood Sword deals something like 1/16 of an target's Max HP per hit. (I think that's right...) So 8 hits would hit the enemy for 50% of their health. Very broken vs. High HP enemies.

IIRC, Normal mode disables a lot of the "extra" stuff like Auto-Targetting, Dashing, and the Minimap. Not sure what else it changes. Makes it closer to the original game.

Thanks for the info.

I guess I'm about to start Final Fantasy III DS (another game in the series I've only played a couple of minutes into). *deep breath*

Natetan

Def not a fan of that new FFIV interface. Looks like a cheap flash game, especially that font. ewww.

SNES version 4evar.

Wildesy

Playing through FFVIII for the first time in forever (I never actually finished it first time around), and man the dialogue is significantly cornier than I remember. I always knew it was a bit 'teen-angst'-y, but some of the script seems like it was penned by children. There is no excuse for anybody over the age of 4 calling someone else a 'BIG MEANY!!!'.

Is it the translation or is it just average writing? None of characters (villains especially) have any depth or are particularly likeable, they are all just caricatures. Not enjoying the leveling system at all either. It pretty much promotes avoiding battling at all costs because the monsters level up with you. No scaling in the experience required per level, no mp for spells, no equipment etc. I guess they were just trying something different, but it doesn't really come together for me.

Still in saying all that, it's my first FF in a while, so I'm still having fun and will definitely see it through to the end this time. Half way through the game though, and having already played FFVII and FFIX multiple times, I can comfortably say this was the worse FF of the PS1 generation in my opinion. FFIX sits head and shoulders above for me, although I'm sure I'm in the minority there with all the love FFVII gets.

Natetan

Still in saying all that, it's my first FF in a while, so I'm still having fun and will definitely see it through to the end this time. Half way through the game though, and having already played FFVII and FFIX multiple times, I can comfortably say this was the worse FF of the PS1 generation in my opinion. FFIX sits head and shoulders above for me, although I'm sure I'm in the minority there with all the love FFVII gets.

I would have been fine if they had skipped English releases from VII until X. I can't tell you what a shock it was to play VIII. Granted part of it was I had grown older, but the words 'Square' and 'bad game' just would never be uttered together. They had the guaranteed game experience I wanted, so I knew I was set when I played that it would teh awesome. And FF VIII was not teh awesome to me. In the least. If it wasnt a FF game I would probably enjoy it if that makes sense.

Now that I know how to abuse the game system (something I love doing) I sort of want to play through it. But it involved playing that mind numbing card game.

I still haven't found anything in my time on GAF that has warmed me up to FFIX.

Top Bottom