• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In honor of Final Fantasy's 25th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

Jucksalbe

Banned
I really have to replay FF IX. When I first played it, I had never played (much of) any game pre-VII, being European and all. Since this is supposed to be a game for fans of the older titles, I wonder how I'd feel about it now that I've played all of the older games several times. I thought it was "okay" back then, but didn't quite enjoy it as much as many people here seem to do.

Natetan

I really have to replay FF IX. When I first played it, I had never played (much of) any game pre-VII, being European and all. Since this is supposed to be a game for fans of the older titles, I wonder how I'd feel about it now that I've played all of the older games several times. I thought it was "okay" back then, but didn't quite enjoy it as much as many people here seem to do.

Having played the series from the original and being a die hard square fan, I can't see any connection. Perhaps alot of the appeal i took away from the earlier games was in my perception and interpreation. Especially considering the interpretation the advertising and other media they gave the game when the brought the originals over, there was a serious disconnect for me. Cutsey white mage outfits and and straw hat black mages isn't enough.

If they had harkened back to a FFIV or FFVI aesthetic I would have loved it. Or even if they had harkened back to the bad ass 'adult' looking sprites from the original FF game that would have been awesome too.

Heropon

4dQaQ.png
9xt2P.png

One of the casualties was Tellah's daughter :(
And Tellah blames that on her bard lover. What's so interesting about this phrase? I mean, why is it so famous?

d85lb.png
YYYnC.png

Shocking revelation: The person behind all the red wings attacks is Golbez. Poor Edward, even a little girl scolds him.

QXaJM.png

We have a new toy! In this world the technology isn't very advanced, this hovercraft isn't portable! Our next destination is the antlion's den, where there is the cure to Rosa's illness. The monsters aren't very dangerous.

Dj1SB.png
pdfoA.png

At the bottom of the cave is the antlion. Edward thinks it's safe to go there alone, haha!

7qKGR.png
n6hR6.png

Fourth boss battle, Antlion: This insect counterattacks everything, so it's better to try to do the most damage in each attack. Edward hits hard enough to attack with both Cecil and him. Rydia acts as a medic. Finally, they get the sand pearl.

IcfqQ.png
UfHz6.png

Rosa is cured, but she is still tired, so they decide to rest a little in Kaipo. Edward gets in trouble, but he can slay monsters alone (with a little of moral help).

c4uyL.png

Our party wants to go to Fabul, but mountains are in the middle of the road, so they have to go through them. Ultra magical ice is placed in in their path, so they have to melt it. Rydia does the dirty work after some internal struggles.

b98XV.png
3xVR0.png

More problems, a gang of monsters is attacking a master monk. That kick attack seems impressive but the distribution of the damage makes it a bit weak.

PpAQ9.png
5dnKC.png

Fifth boss battle, Mom Bomb: It doesn't make much damage. It will grow after some point and then...
(That sprite is like a piece of artwork, isn't it?)

65tCI.png
OQHDH.png

KABOOM! If this was the DS version, they would've been more wounded. At this point, this is like a random battle with more enemies than usual.

MVua2.png
ZbX24.png

Our party gets the legendary fifth member, a first time in Final Fantasy. Congratulations. Oh well, that was technically in the last battle, but now it's official. The group makes it to Fabul and warns the king about Golbez's dark intentions.

PrqR6.png
6CMyb.png

Soon after, the bad guys attack. It's not fair, they have those powerful airships.

MYEv4.png
vVcpR.png

They even have the collaboration of monsters. Since the party is outnumbered, they decide to retreat to the crystal room. Thanks to Edward's clumsiness, the party gets in danger.

KlFGt.png
nNEhE.png

Just when they get to the crystal room, a known face appears. It seems our friend Kain is a traitor. Kain summons his inner Beatrix and it hurts.

0cknV.png
4oiTS.png

Golbez!!!!!! He makes an appearance and kidnaps Rosa. Our party is like :(

Yy1FG.png
ju9vw.png

Infiltration plan: Go to Baron by boat and use fake moustaches to enter the castle. Good plan. The wounded King gives a death inducing sword to Cecil before they go.

viTIa.png

Sheila should have been the fifth party member, what a missed opportunity.

5IRhC.png
LcAYg.png

This isn't a lucky day for our heroes. Leviathan attacks the ship (mwahahaha!!!).

xsUhi.png

Poor Cecil, you'll have to find replacements for your dead friends.

Jucksalbe

Banned
ishZm.png
9RJw9.png
Iyzt3.png

Found the Temple of Time!

4R4ZN.png
OuYIY.png
iZ3J2.png

I only wish I had known beforehand that I would need a lot of Magic Keys. My 5 keys were used up right before the end of the dungeon. I'm not going to bother with a Thief, so I had to leave the dungeon and look for the Floating Continent (since Gisahl on the Floating Continent is the only town that sells Magic Keys). That took me quite a while, in fact I had to look up the location of the Floating Continent because I couldn't find it by just flying around (the map is pretty much useless in this game). When I'd finally reached Gisahl I made sure to buy a big stock of keys.

UuWTX.png
UVTBz.png

And done. All I had to do was find the lute. With this I can wake up Unne in her cave.

Jq9Cs.png
bie2S.png
d2bxC.png

Finally some use for the caves I found a long time ago.

i7ILp.png
aubwJ.png
2sCQE.png

Woohoo! Time for another airship. So let's get back to the Ancient Ruins.

JDYWr.png
VhCss.png

Unne has now problem clearing the path that was blocked by rocks of Adamantite before. The following dungeon is so long it actually has shops and an inn right at the start. The biggest problem here is the huge amount of enemies that can split (i.e. duplicate). Some fights can go on forever if you just attack normally. The enemy pictured above is the biggest offender because it splits randomly and at a very high probability.

V9IIp.png

But the tedium was worth it, finally my fourth airship: the Great Ship (aka The Invincible) which can fly over low mountains (and is rather slow).

OWmqe.png
30oMm.png

And done. Next up: the Cave of Shadows (and some optional stuff before that).

Jucksalbe

Banned
5YUW8.png

With the Invincible in my possession I can reach some new areas. It can fly over small mountain stretches.

BwPgB.png
5tgc1.png

First off: Fargabaad. A village of Mystic Knights. It's a not so subtle preparation for the next mandatory dungeon. There will be a lot of enemies that split when hit with a physical attack. That is if you don't use Dark Swords which incidentally can only be used by Mystic Knights.

Iq6YJ.png
2Hbu1.png
lKksK.png

There's even a small "tutorial" dungeon in town to help you to get used to the Mystic Knights and the overall style of the upcoming dungeon. And you can find suitable equipment here. I changed my Knight and Karateka to Mystic Knights who are both dual-wielding Dark Swords.

Vuhea.png
Nm7iG.png

But first there's still something else to do. There are two summons you can acquire now, both on the Floating Continent. My first destination was Leviathan's cave. Since I had already changed my Knight and Karateka to Mystic Knights, I had to change them back here, I was probably a bit overenthusiastic before.

hzgjf.png
uUfA8.png

Reached Leviathan with a full inventory. It doesn't start the fight then, you just get this message. So I had to throw some stuff away.

rGY81.png
tMlgY.png
mxcnh.png

As you'd expect Leviathan mostly attacks with "Tsunami". But it's not that strong and he doesn't have much HP, so you don't have to sustain it for long.

kDxE4.png
3yIV5.png

The other summon you can get is Bahamut. There are some strong enemies in its cave, but they also give a lot of Exp. I guess this could be a good place to grind if you need to.

FBR94.png

Not again....

t82Ll.png
EYXNS.png

You actually fight Bahamut outside. I wonder why I couldn't just climb the mountain as before.

hWZEF.png

Unlike the first fight, this one is pretty hard and Bahamut can hit really hard. Most of the time he uses Megaflare which hits everyone for ~1000 dmg. My strongest Cure spell (Cure4) can only heal ~300HP when used on all party members, so this fight has to be won fast. Let's see how this went:

d6G7u.png
tu7Jy.png
085pc.png

Not good. By the second round two or three of my party members would always be dead. I had to find a new strategy.

ohcMB.png
aDZXb.png
61mmg.png

I changed my Black Mage to a Conjurer and had him use Odin. Which also meant I had to leave the dungeon again, because I gave my Odin spell to the Fat Chocobo. If you're lucky enough that Odin casts Barrier instead of Sword Cut, you can actually reflect Megaflare. Of course this took several tries, with no savepoint before the boss fight this means I had to use save states, oh well. And the result:

z7585.png

Victory!

CWvLX.png
dTzph.png
Mzi8P.png

Now I can finally continue the story. To reach the Cave of Darkness you have to fly through a maze of mountain patches. Nice bonus: As long as you're using the Invincible every random encounter begins with a cannon attack of your ship. It's not really strong, though.

y7zJO.png
Mv6Cy.png
yC98k.png

At the entrance you're reminded (again) to use Mystic Knights here. And you really probably won't last long without them. This dungeon is long, very long. It goes on and on and on. Personally I found it too long. They even tease you near the end. In the scene shown in the last picture you can't go right down, but have to take a detour.

mgC2I.png
ZV6hv.png
YWtfO.png

I finally made it! The boss fight was nothing special, but I guess it would have been rather mean to place a strong boss at the end of such a long and tedious dungeon.

XS7He.png
6hEKD.png

And that's it. Now I have to get back to Doga.

Heropon

What does this mean?

vTIe0.png

The nearest town to the place Cecil arrived was Mysidia. Everyone remembers him and they transform him into a more fitting form.

4wGfB.png
4VZuh.png

Cecil seeks to redeem himself, so he talks with the elder. He must become a Paladin by going to Mount Ordeals. Cecil has the honor of being assisted by the best mages in the world: Palom and Porom.

lkYLp.png

This rod is going to be put to a good use in Mt. Ordeals. The grand majority of enemies in there are zombies/skeletons that are weak to fire. Zombies are strong against dark swords, so our mages have to take care of them.

rOZ6d.png
qOghv.png

Cecil and his partners arrive at Mt. Ordeals and another roadblock appears: Fire. Palom casts blizzard soon and they can pass. Palom is so cool, I don't deserve his company. That envious sister hits him, for shame. Meanwhile, the bad guys conspire against us.

Tlf3s.png
5pvjD.png

Our group keeps filling with mages, the next one is Tellah, that is seeking Meteor. Palom is so intelligent <3 <3 <3

KDTya.png
O2q0a.png

This whiny brat is getting of my nerves. After 10 minutes of travel, the night is near, so we have to camp.

kwk38.png
ffb2L.png

The first archfiend comes to finish us.
Sixth boss, Scarmiglione and the four zombies: As the zombies are resistant to dark swords, Cecil attacks the main opponent and the wizards kill them with fire. Easy, easy.

0bZxK.png
1CVpx.png

It seems he isn't so dead, well, he is dead but attacks us anyway.
Seventh boss, Scarmiglione: Thanks to our clairvoyance, we change rows before the battle as it begins as a back attack.

udACS.png
YWVdg.png

Palom likes to cause massive damage on him by using Fira, and he counterattacks slowing all of them. He isn't very difficult and dies.

JndVl.png
tYPvY.png

Cecil reaches some strange ruins and he becomes a paladin after hearing a voice calling him son.

3hQy0.png
1A3D7.png

The first trial as a paladin is to overcome his dark side. Let's defend against him. The last reward of climbing this mountain is getting all Tellah's spells.

zEIw1.png
ecV6P.png

Mission completed. They go down and find a chocobo forest. Thanks to the white chocobo, they recover all their MP and with the yellow chocobo they go to Mysidia really fast and without monster encounters, nice! Let's buy some good things for Cecil now that he can use them.

chCOT.png
LbEtR.png

They report the results to the elder and he talks them about a profecy engraved in Cecil's new sword. Now they can go to Baron the easy way thanks to Devil's road.

U4R0p.png
wpktt.png

When they go to a tavern in Baron, they discover Yang, but he is with the enemy, let's slam him. I don't what I was supposed to do in this battle, but I won.

orPEt.png
yybB6.png

The next step is to cause havoc in the castle thanks to our new key.

i0mPm.png
2s905.png

They have to go through a system of watery caves. They find some Leviathan wannabes and this sword hidden in some save point room.

oaE1q.png
THxjb.png

Baron castle is empty except for that stupid Baigan. He really needs drama classes, I knew from the begining that he wasn't a friend of mine.

x9SlW.png
wPnS2.png

Eighth boss, Baigan and his arms: The body part uses reflect when he is hit by a magic attack, so the strategy is to attack him with magic attacks, clever huh? The real strategy is to use an -aga spell at the first turn and when he loses the reflect state another. In the meantime, we have to keep in check those arms.

MOarv.png
cAFuN.png

Shocking twist: The evil king was the water archfiend Cagnazzo all this time.

x8kiw.png

Ninth boss, Cagnazzo: I would say that I have to use an electric spell when he begins to grow water under him, but his Tsunami attack is pretty tame. The only strange thing is when he changes to turtle form. I didn't get why he was weak to ice attacks in this form until yesterday (turtles, yeah).

mCr9j.png

It seems Cid didn't need a rescue. Palom is so wise, I love his comments, that's how I feel.

XNyhh.png
t2fDz.png

Cagnazzo refuses to die like a good boy and does some nasty things. Thanks to his wall tricks, we lose Palom in a brave action. Cecil only cares about that girl. The first time I saw this, I was very sad, but now I don't really care. Maybe one day I use a supersoft (platinum needle!) in them.

GyAXv.png

Meanwhile, Golbez and his minions are up to something. How will it go?

Heropon

I want to rant a little about this game. Who balanced this? The jump of "difficulty" between the sealed cave and the moon is huge. Those alien lifeforms wipe the floor with my characters. I tried to grind but the enemies I can kill well give pathetic experience. I don't know why I'm so underleveled (30-32), I swear I didn't run away too much. I remember the DS version having tougher bosses, but the normal enemies in these areas were reasonable for the level I had. I suppose it's grindfest time.

Heropon

You should really never have to grind in FF2. Did you miss the Sylph Cave and Land of Summoned Monsters?

Rosa wasn't level 35 at the time and she didn't know float, so I escaped from all the battles to get Sylph and the rat tail. :(

Jucksalbe

Banned
I'm on the final stretch. Next time I should be able to complete the game.

6y2Df.png
K1ctl.png

So first I had to get back to Dorga's House. Upon entering, I was immediately teleported to a new dungeon.

G5tuj.png

Creepy.

tTK56.png
wn7ld.png

To get the keys to the final dungeon you have to defeat both Dorga and Unne because, well, you have to.

LYMn7.png
Sia6h.png

Dorga's first. I'm still trying to make sense of his monster design. His character sprite seemed...different. The fight is nothing special.

ZkTTM.png
1bo0A.png
8VGDO.png

Now that Dorga's dead, Unne's up next. From the small picture in the guide it seems they changed her design in the DS version, I wonder why. This fight is even easier than Dorga.

yMzdL.png
EsODF.png
BIOzR.png

Now that I killed both of them, I can go on and destroy the statues that were blocking the path to the Crystal Tower.

NdIIy.png
lW2Rx.png

Before you can reach the Crystal Tower, you first have to traverse the outer building, dubbed the "Ancients' Labyrinth". Right through a door in the beginning you can find the Earth Crystal (I wonder, can you actually skip this?).

r8LHp.png
1fcEq.png

Boss fight: Titan. As you'd expect he attacks with Quake most of the time. I didn't find any special strategy, so I attacked with all I had and tried to heal enough to keep my party alive long enough.

ZonQX.png
wFxfi.png
bZzXn.png

Finally some new jobs! Actually I won't be needing these for long, but for now I changed my Black Mage to a Warlock and my White Mage to a Shaman, both of which are pretty much improved versions. Finished the Labyrinth, now it's finally time for the Crystal Tower.

K6pbZ.png
2P9My.png

But first there's a little detour through Eureka. There are a lot of great weapons to find here and most importantly you can get the Ninja and Sage classes here.

hv1fx.png
3v0EI.png
usJ3w.png

Every weapon is accompanied by a mini boss fight. This one's a copy of Hyne, but physical attacks actually work this time. Also use Bio to get around his changing elemental weakness.

USEj0.png
e5hxn.png
PXs0d.png

Next weapon: the Masamune. I have noone who can equip this yet, though.

Fxhth.png
Yu1E7.png
nI9Nl.png

This is, of course, Excalibur. It's a nice touch, that's it's actually still stuck in a stone.

MJPD2.png
aciWS.png

The final two fights. My party was pretty worn down now, so I went to the next room first. You can heal and revive there for free.

0QQky.png
F6fGT.png

The fight on the right side. Used the standard attack and heal method to defeat him, he can hit pretty hard, but with a fully healed party it's not that bad.

0diiq.png
AU2d0.png
HfiL1.png

And lastly, the most important fight, that gets you the new jobs. The fight itself is very easy, maybe because you wouldn't necessarily have healed at this point.

OWIng.png
SGSvn.png

Basically, the Ninja is the best fighter class and the Sage is the best mage class. That's why I changed both of my fighters to Ninjas and both of my mages to Sages.

eJdB1.png
0GmxM.png

There are shops for the best magic in the next room. As far as I know this is the only shop that sells level 8 magic. There's also a shop for summon magic, I wonder why I went through all the trouble of fighting them. There's a shop hidden in a secret passage that sells crystal armor and Shuriken. I used all of my remaining money to buy Shurikens, my million gil were gone pretty fast.

lq0Lk.png

The Exit spell doesn't work. You have to walk all the way back.

xLUhm.png
62DuG.png

And done for today! All that's left is the actual run through the Crystal Tower. I hope there's some place to heal in there, I couldn't have lasted much longer in Eureka.

xist

Cursed gaming OCD.

Final Fantasy VIII - knowing that one of the card players in D-District has a Rosetta Stone prize, and having never got one from him i decided to have a crack at it (especially as i'm doing a low level run for the purpose of stat maxing). After about 3 days of card games i had no luck and was just about to crack and do without...then i thought i'd try the timed run trick....

WOOHOO! 3 Rosetta Stones in a row! :D

Natetan

I want to rant a little about this game. Who balanced this? The jump of "difficulty" between the sealed cave and the moon is huge. Those alien lifeforms wipe the floor with my characters. I tried to grind but the enemies I can kill well give pathetic experience. I don't know why I'm so underleveled (30-32), I swear I didn't run away too much. I remember the DS version having tougher bosses, but the normal enemies in these areas were reasonable for the level I had. I suppose it's grindfest time.

There is a great place to level in the tower of zot!

I generally run from all non required battles

Heropon

There is a great place to level in the tower of zot!

I generally run from all non required battles

I don't have fond memories of that tower thanks to white mage Tellah *shudders*.
In the end I grinded to level 35, I visited Sylph Cave and the Feymarch and then I tried to reach the Crystal Palace. Afterwards, the Giant of Babil was easy compared to the moon surface.

Zing

Banned
Something must have changed in the later ports, as I don't recall any grinding required. I have always fought every random battle, though.

Jucksalbe

Banned
And now for the final ascend through the Crystal Tower.

9GeyY.png
qcQGE.png
twcmO.png

SKupQ.png
aDPX7.png
lUVOl.png

IqbA3.png
asEPf.png
GkLFG.png

The dungeon is pretty long, especially if you open all treasure chests scattered along the way. You can find some elixirs here, but nothing really special.

Rwlb1.png
7fyR9.png

Time for the first boss fight.

aYCHN.png
dgofn.png

Zande's most devastating attack is Meteo which can easily hit you for ~2500 dmg on all party members. If you're lucky he mostly uses Libra, though. You will have to find a good strategy here, because you may want to repeat this fight another four times later on.

9DKBZ.png
9DKBZ.png
1sdRJ.png

You can't win the first fight against the Cloud of Darkness, at least I didn't even hit him once before he killed me. But with the help of all their friends, my party revived and can now enter the Dark World. Here you have the choice to directly confront the final boss or first gather the Dark Crystals and their warriors.

d3Hlg.png
nLLtf.png
TFIeu.png

First the Wind Dark Crystal in the upper left. Each Crystal is protected by a different boss. Cerberus can hit hard but can't really do anything special.

u6RE9.png
79VAq.png
cZcU5.png

Water Dark Crystal in the lower left. I found Echidna to the easiest of the four bosses.

nzaLt.png
yaA5t.png
48UXq.png

Earth Dark Crystal in the lower right. I had to do the fight with Ahriman twice. Good thing I used save states right before every boss fight. I really wouldn't like to do the whole dungeon all over again. Considering you have to start over with every death, the final dungeon is pretty hard. Some bosses have attacks that can almost finish off your whole party.

oTVFt.png
J95t2.png

HOVxw.png
Yd0wo.png

Finally: the Fire Dark Crystal in the upper right corner. The boss is pretty annoying. He physically attacks only one of your party members per round but it's a guaranteed one hit kill. So you're basically reviving in every round and trying to attack with any Ninja that's still alive. In the end I switched from Life2 to just Life because it didn't make much of a difference how much HP I had left. That's why my party looked so bad when I won the fight.

S93DO.png

And now on to the final boss!

IfIsP.png
eo6nZ.png
4vOEP.png

So, away with all these Shuriken! Flare Wave is the only attack of the Cloud of the Darkness, but it hits for ~1500 dmg on everyone, so you basically have to heal every round (and still be behind somewhat). It doesn't take long to take him down, though (no 45 minute fight here).

ofykq.png
pbfVc.png
eMCwQ.png

I did it! :)

Jucksalbe

Banned
Updated the summary. Sorry for the double post.

Final Fantasy

Aeana PSP: Part 1A, 1B, 2, 3, 4
Scythian PSP: Part 1, 2, 3
perfect free iOS: Part 1, 2, 3
Cyan NES: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
catchan PSP: Part 1, 2
BreakyBoy PSX: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Jucksalbe PSP: Part 1, 2, 3, 4
kswiston PSP: Part 1, 2, 3, 4
Heropon PSP: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
IdreamofHIME : Part 1
Entropia GBA: Part 1, 2, 3
Ourobolus GBA: Part 1

Final Fantasy II

Aeana PSP: Part 1, 2, 3, 4
Goli PSP: Part 1
Heropon PSP: Part 1, 2, 3
charlequin : Part 1, 2
Johnas : Part 1, 2
Ultratech GBA: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Ourobolus iOS: Part 1, 2, 3, 4
Entropia : Part 1, 2, 3
Chris25 iOS: Part 1
IdreamofHIME : Part 1

Final Fantasy III

Aeana Famicom: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
Jucksalbe Famicom; Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 , 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
stupei DS: Part 1, 2, 3
Heropon DS: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
TranceKuja Famicom: Part 1, 2, 3

Final Fantasy IV

Absoludacrous PSP: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Jucksalbe PSP: Part 1, 2
itzknickknac PSP: Part 1
Goli PSP: Part 1, 2, 3
Aeana PSP: Part 1
Zing SNES: Part 1
Heropon PSP: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Final Fantasy IV - The After Years

Electivirus PSP: Part 1, 2, 3

Final Fantasy V

HiddenWings GBA: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24
Labadal : Part 1, 2, 3, 4
Aeana SFC: Part 1, 2
Schnei871 : Part 1
Entropia : Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Final Fantasy VI

Vamphuntr PSX: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
FrontalMonk : Part 1
Aeana : Part 1, 2, 3
Entropia : Part 1, 2

Final Fantasy VII

Gravijah : Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Lindsay : Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
StuBurns : Part 1
Entropia : Part 1

Final Fantasy VIII

SFGamer : Part 1
chris-013 : Part 1
Wildesy : Part 1
xist : Part 1

Final Fantasy IX

Billychu : Part 1, 2, 3
Lactose_Intolerant : Part 1

Final Fantasy XIII

Rahxephon91 : Part 1, 2

Final Fantasy Tactics A2

Labadal : Part 1, 2, 3

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers

Goli : Part 1

Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest (Legend)

Jucksalbe SNES: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
Dark Schala SNES: Part 1, 2, 3, 4

Seiken Densetsu / Final Fantasy Adventure / Mystic Quest

Jucksalbe SGB: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Bonus: If you want to take screenshots on your PSP, follow Stumpokapow's instructions here and here.

Heropon

I've just finished this game but I'll update sometimes. I'm so fast!

W7VvU.png
IutE3.png

With their shiny airship, our heroes go to Troia. They find a broken prince in there and he gives them something to fight their next target, the dark elf that has the earth crystal. Let's recover an old good friend of mine, the death counter: Rydia, Palom and Porom make 3.

Z1g2X.png
kZGrn.png

The dark elf's cave is placed in an island covered with forests and mountains so they have to use a black chocobo. It's so strong that it carries four people and doesn't complain.

xRGPN.png

As Cid says, this cave is horrible. Cecil is practically useless without sword and I didn't want to give him a bow.

GzzX5.png
gysUX.png

At the bottom of the cave they find their target, the dark elf. Sadly, he defeats them without problems.

xzdlz.png
iLbZC.png

But not everything is lost, thanks to Cacofonix/Assurancetourix the dark elf feels sick and the electromagnetic field is lifted.

r6K5C.png
qWnGm.png

Tenth boss, Dark Elf/Dark Dragon: This battle has so much bullshit... Ups, well, not in this version. It's pretty easy, the dark dragon does a multitarget spell sometimes, but even Tellah can cure it. Talking about Tellah, he has the spirit stat so low that even Cecil has more, what a shame of geezer. Yay, the last crystal is taken by me.

yTlhY.png
KVVtc.png

Thanks to the success of the last mission, the group has access to the royal treasure.

5G4z2.png
PgHZI.png

And now that our heroes have the crystal, they go to the Tower of Zot. The first time this message appears but not the last, sigh...

W4tit.png
Bk7fr.png

I don't need this, or yes. This hound enemy is another friend that is much more difficult in the DS version. Actually, all the enemies that have a multi-target spell are difficult in that version.

ZJMg5.png

Thanks to that last fight, Cecil gets a good weapon. Congratulations, you are less bad now.

Hj2ne.png
eD5Gr.png

Eleventh boss, the Magus Sisters, Sandy, Mindy and Cindy: The middle sister revives the others when they die so she has to die first. It would be faster if their other strategy wasn't using reflect in her and cast spells on her. Apart from this, it's pretty easy.

Vn1fs.png

I have a vision, so I take all of Tellah's possessions. Argh, that message.

inTbb.png
qw8EL.png

It seems Golbez isn't a man of his word.

zj7Fv.png
2FSbq.png

Tellah gets angry and throws a meteor into Golbez's face.

0YNf7.png
wixMK.png

Thanks to Tellah, Kain is good again, but he dies :( (4) I hope he increases his spirit in the heaven.

1X4LR.png

And Rosa is saved. Everything is fine, or not...

MoLFn.png
opwo9.png

Twelfth boss, Barbariccia: This girl transforms into a whirlwind occasionally. In this form, the attacks fail and Kain has to land a jump in her so she reverts back to normal. When she has low HP, she hits hard, so these guys have to kill her fast. When she is killed the tower is about to collapse so Rosa uses her Saiyan powers and everyone is teleported to Baron.

7MV8v.png

Kain tells another shoking truth, there are eight crystals.

L8AQ0.png
z0Rgl.png

What have you done, Cecil?

aeXEJ.png
icnTe.png

Thanks to Cecil's fireworks, we can go to the underworld, where the remaining crystals are waiting. The problems never end and we are caught in a crossfire, result: CRASH.

GE2fO.png
euOz1.png

Luckily, our heroes end in a friendly place full of dwarves and all of that.

DrNPP.png
ntT9Y.png

Cid leaves the party to repair the airship and Yang has a feeling that the castle's crystal is in danger so the party goes to see it. He's right, a group of evil dolls are trying to take it.
Thirteenth boss, Calca x3 and Brina x3: Retcon, retcon! Am I the only one that sees it? I think the trick to this fight is to not kill all the dolls of the same color or they will fuse.

yesin.png
27P5u.png

Fourteenth boss, Golbez: He begins paralizing everyone and killing.

d0wff.png
zPHxx.png

Rydia (3), whom we thought dead, saves the day. The rest is a pretty average boss battle, he isn't a Hein wannabe.

md1VO.png
CThvJ.png

We win, Golvez wins, everyone wins. Our next mission is to get the crystals at the Tower of Babil.

x7Imw.png

Before going, the characters get the treasures in the castle.

Kalnos

Banned
I'm on a first play-through of FFIV DS and dear god Dark Elf is much harder than the SNES version. I pretty much had to unleash Yang's focus and cast Firaga on him as soon as he turned into the dragon or he would nearly one shot my entire party. I don't really feel like I was under-leveled either.

Ourobolus

Banned
Woohoo! FFI down! RM/TF/WM/BM. 2 FF down, 3-13 to go. Doing FF3 as a job fiesta, pulled Monk first, should be interesting.

I'll post pics later. :)

Heropon

I'm on a first play-through of FFIV DS and dear god Dark Elf is much harder than the SNES version. I pretty much had to unleash Yang's focus and cast Firaga on him as soon as he turned into the dragon or he would nearly one shot my entire party. I don't really feel like I was under-leveled either.

Yeah, that fight is really unfair, I don't know what were they thinking. But there are worse bosses, like the CPU.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Weee. Started my FFIV playthrough. Playing the PSP version since I haven't played this specific version before, not to mention screenshots through homebrew. I'm going to try and have a little bit of fun with the commentary since I've played it so many times. Without further ado -

3m3aB.png

Dun dun dun dundundundun dun dun...

bQGD5.png
G2qgl.png

Crazy old hermit joined my party. Apparently looking for his daughter Anna. Oh and I'm traveling with a little girl whos home town I massacred. And Rosa is sick. I missed a few screenshots there. Forgot to turn homebrew stuff on. We get out of the caves just in time to see our destination bombed to shit. Cecil is having a really bad day.

0j0px.png
qmH64.png

Hey Tellah! I found Anna! ...Oh... The old man isn't too happy about it and attacks the only survivor of the explosion. Crazy old man. But his response to edward is still such a classic line. The bard is the one who went to elope with Anna, and by extension, the reason she got blown up. Justifiable I guess.

YMjEC.png
yG9Xj.png

Edward gets bitch-slapped by Cecil for being a pussy. But hey, it looks like we have our next destination!

Entropia

No One Remembers
So in my FF3 DS playthrough I've busted through the large boulder blocking the airships way and have to find some guy named Desch.

The adventure continues: The Pyramid

The pyramid is full of treasure, but almost all chests are trapped, and almost all of the enemies are undead. This is not a problem for a party that includes a bard.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_04-11.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_05-10.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_06-9.png

It contains this mini-boss fight with Sekhmet, who doesn't do much (but at least isn't undead).
FinalFantasyVAdvance_20-7.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_21-10.png

This room has a shifting floor, dropping you on the previous floor if you're standing in the wrong spot. Treasures to not be missed are mostly in this room: A second Ribbon (I can't even use the things...), a second Gold Hairpin, and a first Protect Ring. In order to make your life slightly less painful, these chests aren't even trapped.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_23-9.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_24-6.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_25-4.png

Upon reaching the top floor, the party finds what we're looking for and gets a free ride out of the pyramid. In addition to normal tablet purposes, this one unseals Bahamut.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_30-5.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_32-5.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_34-5.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_38-5.png

And because that sequence couldn't end without a boss, Exdeath drops one on you when you try to go through the forest.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_45-4.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_46-5.png

Melusine is a barrier change boss, who is immune to scan just to make me more upset. In addition, my sources of fire, ice, and lightning damage are looking a bit outdated, so an alternate solution is to be found. The solution is once again the Blue Mage numbers game.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_52-4.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_55-1.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_56.png

Not shown: the initial attempt when I learned she is ALWAYS immune to wind and earth; and what happened after the above screenshots where she barrier changed and that stopped working. I carved off the last part of her health with the non-elemental Aqua Breath.

With the tablet and the airship, I can get three of the TWELVE LEGENDARY WEAPONS. With my classes limited like this, the choice isn't a very hard one. It's also completely invalidated by air knives, except in special cases.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_85.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_87-1.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_89.png

Next up: Exdeath has already failed 1/4 of his goal! See him fail the rest!
FinalFantasyVAdvance_98-1.png

Zing

Banned
I've neven run out of inventory space in the SNES version of FF4. I always sell off old equipment, though. Did they limit the inventory in the PSP version?

Psxphile

Yeah, it's limited. It was limited in the original, too. Fat Chocobo has to be good for something, after all! Oddly enough, inventory limits were removed in The After Years, and Fat Chocobo is nowhere to be found. Did I say 'oddly'? I mean 'completely expected of a sequel'.

Heropon

2GFcD.png
x6aaZ.png

The tower is being attacked by the dwarves, it's our chance to steal the tower treasures.

tatsG.png
XxlWF.png

After a couple of boxed monsters fights, Cecil and Kain get some really nice weapons. Also, there are many enemies weak to ice nearby.

hmLM2.png

Just when they reach the top available floor, Rubicante escapes with the crystals. I'm so angry I'll smash that doctor.

CTfm1.png
eh4Hu.png

Fifteenth boss, Lugae and Barnabas: The robot begins rogue and hits his master but soon it starts to attack the party. I decided to kill the doctor first but then I was too slow killing that robot and it exploded in my face.

Mppsb.png
kfQIe.png

Sixteenth boss, Dr. Lugae: He counterattacks sleeping people but the fight isn't difficult. The reward for killing this freak is a key, let's find the hole.

2Gysg.png
LaSfb.png

Lugae, you're about to die and do you only care about killing dwarves? I don't understand this type of characters, but that's why Golbez can use them as he pleases. Thanks to the key, the party can enter the control room of the cannons. There are more sadic monsters inside.

glLrD.png

These guys were no real challenge.

c1Na5.png
nyKSH.png

Like all the other minions, they don't care if they die if they can kill more people later. Yang, no, don't try to do anything heroic. This is like FF2, everyone is dying :( (4). No, Edward and Rydia are alive.

NmkC2.png
xG2rI.png

Just after reaching a safe bridge, Golbez destroys it. Cecil, lucky as always, is saved by Cid.

v3cEe.png
iYzor.png

But after one lucky thing, there's always something awful, and the red wings begin chasing us. Like all the others, Cid thinks that dying is the only way to save the group.

Y5uLV.png
NC0cT.png

No, Cid! BOOM! Wow, he disintegrated. :( (5)

xFr7N.png

Heropon

Gz0bL.png
fLUL3.png

We have to find a way to get access to the highest parts of the Tower of Babil. The first thing we do is attaching a hook to the enterprise. Is that a clue of where to go? Thanks.

AYOiG.png
JvV7p.png

We follow the engineers wise advice and go to that cave using the hovercraft.Ugh, I hate that fight, it's so booooring. I can't imagine what would happen if that attack were stronger.

Fb1MB.png
BkA3X.png

Burn baby burn. I like exploiting enemies weaknesses. The poor people of Eblan were attacked by Rubicante and they have settled in this cave. It seems the prince has gone seeking for revenge. Let's find him while we go to the tower.

9zNJX.png

In a secret room we find a blood sword. I don't know if it's exploitable like the FF2 incarnation, but its power is so low that I'm going to sell it when I can.

tc8jU.png
HlRw0.png

Afterwards, we find the prince confronting Rubicante and he is defeated easily.

P24op.png
iVIzP.png

The party is so desperate to fill the fifth member slot that recruits him. He has low defence but he has to be in the front row to be able to do good damage with his two weapons. Where is that materia/augment that enhances back row attack when you need it? Thanks to him, we're able to infiltrate the tower.

DAV6G.png
ijBq8.png

If we defeat these four ogres, we'll get a weapon to kill them faster!

Q2RwC.png

This is the device that Rubicante used to go up in the tower, I suppose.

263ua.png
mN2km.png

Just when we are going to reach the crystal room, the king and the queen of eblan appear to attack us.
Seventeenth boss?, King and Queen of Eblan: They damage a little our favourite characters, but they aren't a nuisance.

uwLu9.png

After a little of time they return to be good people, but they are still monsters and commit suicide. :(

N1Wii.png
MROhR.png

Wii.png
Another monster appears, it's Rubicante this time. He's very honorable and cures our heroes before the confrontation.

9JcTz.png
vWBn7.png

Eighteenth boss, Rubicante: He has two modes: With or without cloak. If he doesn't have it it's weak to ice and water, so that's the time when we can do massive damage: Flood, Shiva and the ice lance are our friends.

DHI5U.png
ftali.png

Everytime he is hit by an ice attack he uses blizzara in himself. That means: if he has the cloak, he cures himself, if he doesn't, extra damage. If he is attacked by an attack that isn't strong against him, he uses fira to the whole group. Again, the DS version is more dangerous as his inferno attack is lethal, so you'll want to not let him have his cloak removed much time. Do you see that 4974? that's because Kain's jump, he's that awesome.

zZ4Xq.png
avh35.png

He is defeated but not dead, and he dissappears.

VnZrd.png

The crystals!!! Sadly, our stupid heroes fall in a trap.

c7Rnw.png
RlTwv.png

This good/bad/good/bad pattern keeps going and the group finds an airship.

M8BQZ.png
tH51A.png

Our heroes give the report about the failure in retrieving the crystals. It's worse than the witch incident. Giott still trusts them and gives them the mission of getting the last crystal before Golbez does.

tCWLE.png
nl27X.png

A dark secret is revealed, the dwarf women aren't hidden, it's that they have beard. Cid has survived? But, but he dissappeared after the explosion... (4)

MVYBS.png
Wkpky.png

Our heroes use a poor sick old man to make some adjustments to their new airship, and then he dies exhausted ): (5)

9UqZG.png

Phew... (4)

DJVXf.png
uWm9a.png

With the airship upgrade, Cecil can visit the legendary blacksmith Kokkol and Tomra and they buy some goodies to help us in their next quests.

Entropia

No One Remembers
That fight with Edge's parents was really... disturbing to me when I played as a kid. :\

On my FF3 playthrough I got the boat and have come across some town that got attacked or something. Not sure where to go :<

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I can't get over how ridiculously good FFIV PSP looks.... if Square really wants to celebrate the series' 25th anniversary, they need to remake V and VI this way.

Heropon

That fight with Edge's parents was really... disturbing to me when I played as a kid. :\

On my FF3 playthrough I got the boat and have come across some town that got attacked or something. Not sure where to go :<

Your next destination is the Gulgan Gulch, to the West of Argus Castle (It's easy to see it). Optionally, you can go to that castle to get some treasures or go to the Village of the Ancients, to the West of the desert.

Heropon

JsMAq.png
Jwfj1.png

Before doing my duties, I go to the Sylph Cave. As I don't have float yet, I escape from all the battles. Finally, I see a building, let's enter.

zlu18.png

When we go in there's a surprise: Yang is alive but unconscious (3). A group of sylphs are with him, so we can leave without remorse.

3nXvt.png
W4nF2.png

The Feymarch has the same problem as the last cave, damaging floors. We escape from the battles and get the rat tail.

bb19r.png
cowEj.png

The citizens are very rude. I don't remember being blocked so much in other versions.

RinZN.png

There are more treasures hidden in there.

EnwJu.png

Let's retrieve the last crystal. We use Luca's Necklace to unseal the Sealed Cave.

xGjwd.png
m4vvs.png

This cave is full of these doors. They begin marking a character, and after a few turns it kills him/her. If you can't kill it faster, it releases a monster.

UQWUD.png
7WmA4.png

Not this monsters, please!!!

xNjdZ.png
hiJPu.png

At last, we get the last dark crystal. Another time...

ZFzvb.png

Of course, there had to be some kind of trap.

rwjJa.png
Igrxj.png

Nineteenth boss, Demon Wall: If it gets to the party, it kills someone each turn. So we gotta kill it fast. First, slow and then hit it hard with everything at our disposal.

InF9X.png

Suspicious...

JQS7h.png
tj2rx.png

When we reach the exit of the cave, Kain becomes a traitor again and we lose our beloved crystal.

JBp8M.png
O0cj5.png

Another one victory for the party! The Lunar Whale is our only hope...

CTOLO.png
EV2Zx.png

But to get the Lunar Whale, we need to go outside the Underworld. Thankfully, Cid helps us again and attaches a drill to the Falcon.

HYKGJ.png
GClQW.png

Poor Cid, he isn't healthy for these adventures.

ecQhp.png
qhylT.png

Now that we are in the overworld again, let's do some optional thingies. First, we use the hovercraft to reach a cave near a town called Mythril. One miniperson gives us adamantite in exchange for the rat tail.

fGiH7.png
YCHVd.png

Then we meet Sheila and tell her about Yang's status. She gives us a frying pan to help him.

YBGPr.png

With to the adamantite, the master blacksmith recovers his illusions and takes the mythgraven sword to make a more powerful sword.

c4bom.png
h6jqi.png

Thanks to that item Yang awakes and Rydia can summon Sylph. This sidequest is more useful in the DS version.

hxr1p.png
1Gvll.png

???
And if we visit Sheila again she gives us the most powerful throwable item.

UI0Ye.png
xIojH.png

Now it's time to continue our true mission. In Mysidia, we summon, with the help of the elder, the Lunar Whale. It's time for some lunar adventures!

After seeing the scene with Exdeath and the demons of the rift, I can theoretically walk into the final dungeon and beat the game immediately. This is me accidentally flying in, because the entrance looks just like all of the other holes in the map. There are some things I want to get first, so I leave immediately.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_100-2.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_104.png

This part of the game is kind of interesting, because you can pick up a number of rather powerful items before you even walk into a random battle again. It involves going to areas in towns that you couldn't get to before, and a special town that wasn't there before.

First stop: Moore
FinalFantasyVAdvance_106.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_109-1.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_113.png

Next: Regole... (Ribbon number 3; I still can't use these things.)
FinalFantasyVAdvance_115-1.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_117.png

Crescent, part 1...
FinalFantasyVAdvance_118-1.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_122.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_123.png

Pirate cave... (Syldra's spirit blinks, so it took a lot of screenshots to capture this one. This is the second reason why air knives are my party's weapon of choice.)
FinalFantasyVAdvance_125.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_151.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_164.png

The new place, Phantom village. Finding this thing looks like a random encounter, and the town itself has tons of hidden passages. Lots of goodies here. This is also where all of your money can evaporate if you're not careful.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_167.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_175.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_184.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_186.png

FinalFantasyVAdvance_169.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_181.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_177.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_189.png

Istory Falls... (Why get the magic lamp if I have a summoner? One word: Zantetsuken.)
FinalFantasyVAdvance_191.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_193.png

Crescent, part 2...
FinalFantasyVAdvance_196.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_197.png

And phantom village part 2.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_03-13.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_07-5.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_08-12.png

Of these items, I think the Ribbon and chicken knife are the least likely to see use. All of the others will come in handy at some point. There's one more blue magic spell of note to pick up, and a bunch of summons, not to mention 9 more weapons of questionable status.

Heropon

q9Kun.png
Jdkkl.png

To the Moon! We find another surprise in there, all the rabbit things that change names are from here.

s2Qx4.png
NvmlE.png

The moment we reach the Moon an event triggers, so we return to the Earth. Kokkol gives us the mighty Excalibur, great!

dkVM3.png
9H4p1.png

The Excalibur is pretty good, but my party is pretty bad, so they are smacked by the lunar monsters.

69MIy.png
BMUtU.png

After a bit of grinding Rosa learns float and the party can return to some places...

s5WFB.png
qnHVT.png

...and get things I forgot. My body is ready, let's cross the lunar caves.

OBsy0.png
1vYMw.png

After a series of fights and cave exploration, the party reaches the Crystal Palace. They find a lunarian and he tells them about their original planet, the real bad guy called Zemus and about Cecil's father. The Blue Planet is threatened by a giant robot, so we have to hurry and return.

sRJS8.png
TkNto.png

The interdimensional robot is already causing havoc, but the Earth Special Forces are distracting it.

iOBXb.png
qRbXu.png

bBX49.png
jbAJT.png

SNisW.png

All our friends are joining the battle, even Palom and Porom (1).

tbB6V.png
Q7uYf.png

Now it's the chance to enter the giant, and with Cid's airship, they accomplish it.

wnvAe.png

The monsters in this place are pretty tame compared with those in the Moon. The best thing is that there are two type of monsters that get confused when they are hit with electric attacks.

Ri5J9.png
LiT8q.png

Hey, old friends of mine!

p3vQp.png

Twentieth boss, the Four Archfiends: First comes Scarmiglione, only one piece of advice, kill it with fire!

addGi.png
QKeFa.png

Rubicante is the second fiend, he dies quickly with ice.

LeMO8.png
zy9Yb.png

And Thundaga is your friend against Cagnazzo.

AVUE0.png
ZO9eH.png

Barbariccia is the most difficult monster, she uses a magic that leaves everyone's HP in the single digits and semipetrifies. I don't know if she had weaknesses so I used Flare and the character's most powerful attacks.

n1tMb.png

Good riddance.

CzHyw.png

In the next room we find the giant's CPU. Don't listen to Fusoya's lies Fusoya is right, the defense node cures too much health to be sustainable.

zFILv.png
RUXTI.png

Twenty-first boss, CPU and the nodes: The CPU casts reflect in itself, so magic is innefective. The only thing it does is a multi-target laser attack, but it's insanely powerful pretty tame.

xJ96k.png
Je8Hu.png

"How dare you destroy my Giant, YOU WILL DIE!" Before Golbez can do something, Fusoya restores him to his senses.

7jyjs.png
IV5PY.png

****Drama****

iWsCN.png
IMeiZ.png

The party recovers Kain and they escape before the giant collapses.

dsQc7.png
1oI2p.png

Just before they go to the Moon, Cecil has a stupid idea. *sigh*

AdHH0.png
4IJGC.png

But Rosa is 1000 times more intelligent than the others and manages to convince Cecil to go with him. I won't change members, I want to stay classic.

Heropon

Pre-final dungeon preparations:

21PKa.png
NuV4R.png

Asura: She cures herself occasionally, so we have to cast reflect on her. She counterattacks everything with a powerful physical attack, so Rosa will cast blink on Cecil and Kain, and Edge Mirage on himself (Rosa and Rydia have less priority for the blink casting as they are in the back row and won't be hit so hard).

KTXfb.png

Leviathan: It has a pattern: Flood -> Blizzara -> Blizzara. The only strategy is to cure when it is necessary and use electric attacks when possible.

tW4XH.png
oTVlY.png

Odin: This is a timed battle, so the only strategy is to hit the hardest everyone can as he won't attack until the time comes.

YEUbE.png

Lair of the Father: Let's get the last eidolon. There are three mandatory battles against behemoths. The only trick is that the only action they do is counterattacking, physical to physical and Maelstrom (single digits HP) to magic.

KtJoR.png
ojvRK.png

Bahamut: He begins a timer that counts to our DOOM bodies being attacked by a Megaflare. The solution is to cast reflect on as many characters as possible. Kain can survive the attack with a jump, so I didn't have to cast it on him.

G3GPg.png
APcxk.png

I don't know how much HP it has, but with its help it doesn't matter.

Zing

Banned
Gamevideos can be a big hassal, but I think these old 1Up interviews with Nobuo Uematsu and Yoshitaka Amano are worth it. We need video content like this again.

Nobuo Uematsu
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Yoshitaka Amano
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Thanks for this! They were entertaining.

For those that want to avoid flash player (and who doesn't?), here are the raw MOV files to save directly to your computer:

Nobuo Uematsu
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Yoshitaka Amano
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Really enjoying reading some of the other playthroughs in here. Keep it up, guys.

*sigh* Man, I feel bad that I haven't contributed to the thread as much as I wanted to, because I really care about getting my Mystic Quest playthrough done. I hope to get another part of Mystic Quest up this week. It takes me a while to come up with half-hearted jokes in the text, I guess. I just don't want it to be a barrage of screens, and I like taking the time to explain stuff I do or explaining weapons/armour/stats.

So busy lately with exams, marking, and other games. And I think I've come down with something in the past week. :/

Chacranajxy said:
I can't get over how ridiculously good FFIV PSP looks.... if Square really wants to celebrate the series' 25th anniversary, they need to remake V and VI this way.
Just with better font.

Seeing that FFIV playthrough makes me want to do one of the GBA version so I can riff on the funny narrative.

Heropon

DTfsE.png
xQAJH.png

Cecil, Rydia, Kain, Rosa and Edge go to the Crystal Palace. The final dungeon begins!

x6Pfu.png
OFiE9.png

The first thing we do is going through a secret passage. First reward, a Black Garb, Edge's "definitive" armor. Second reward, Sage's Staff, that when used in battle revives a partner.

hF1HI.png
iYWE2.png

At the end of this secret path, the party finds a weapon guarded by an optional boss.
White Dragon: It's really easy, the only nuisance is that it counterattacks everything with slow.

R8j8y.png
FFTZE.png

Reward: Murasame for Edge. It has nice attack and it adds defense too!

FFTZE.png

Our heroes return to the beginning of the dungeon so they can advance in the dungeon. After a surprise battle coming from a chest, Rydia wins a new whip.

pwt5o.png
ydwRE.png

VYtM2.png
aQUc3.png

After a little of walking through some secret passages, the party gets a complete set of Dragon equipment.

DZCUP.png
89aGi.png

Boxed Battle X: A Behemoth appears that rewards with a stardust after its defeat. It's curious, but this reminds me of those behemoths that counterattack with Meteor when they die.

Jqu4t.png
vL86a.png

Boxed Battle X-2: Two dragons, the red dragon is weak to ice and has very powerful physical attacks (in the DS version, its particle beam is pretty overpowered), the blue dragon attacks with a blizzard often. The reward is the Crystal Shield.

OGhBT.png
1AxHL.png

More treasures await our heroes: The fantastic Protect Ring and a Crystal Mail.

ihAW9.png
gUYJJ.png

Boxed Battle X-4: Two old friends, nothing new. +Crystal Gloves

eT3RF.png
RVgiQ.png

More goodies in chests. I'm pretty sure the second one was after a fight, but I don't remember very well...

The party reaches a place that has three doors, behind two of them they find a boss.

Zy5in.png
Bykar.png

Another optional boss, Plague: Doom at the beginning of the battle. If someone isn't doomed it will cast doom again, resetting the counter.

D1yQe.png

The reward isn't the best of the world. I think there is a better lance, but I heard it is a rare drop or something like that.

Fi83U.png

Another optional boss 2, Lunasaur x2: I though these little pests could do Bad Breath, but they didn't use it. The magic they liked was Bio, though.

QxX89.png

Reward: Ribbon x2, good! I think I don't need to explain what they do.

pTyne.png

Now that I've beaten those two optional bosses, we can do a little of backtracking to another secret path. Our heroes have to cross an invisible bridge over a chasm. Another Protect Ring, great!

k7IDk.png
xLmId.png

At the end of the road, our characters find another optional boss.
Dark Bahamut: It begins with a Megaflare, and of course, there are casualties. The battle end being like this:
-Cecil attacks
-Bahamut casts Flare
-Rosa cures all the damage
I know it was a stupid strategy, but I was tired of thinking :(

09SpY.png

YESSSSSSS! The master sword, Ragnarok!

yammY.png
VE2ME.png

Now that we have all the things available in this part of the dungeon, let's continue. The last section of the Lunar Subterrane has a lot of powerful monsters as random battles, but I don't care about earning experience and the battles are too lengthy to my taste, so I use teleport always. Last optional boss:

bpspw.png
K8MzU.png

Ogopogo: It uses Tsunami every turn, but as everyone can see from the screen it isn't the most powerful attack in the world.

357bI.png

And the last ultimate weapon is the legendary Masamune. To the last boss...

MtiE3.png
N1JDi.png

Golbez and Fusoya have already taken care of Zemus.

ZWwb8.png
u7mQS.png

Not so fast, Edge!

o1XUB.png
U3VyP.png

Golbez and Fusoya try to defeat Zeromus again, but it doesn't end very well...

aaqDT.png
INsU4.png

Only a miracle could save our heroes, so it happens.

EQ4Bg.png

The real final boss is THIS screen!!!!!! I'm glad I won't see it again... until the next playthrough :(

uD4fH.png
sRFhV.png
K7iWd.png
EoRB9.png

And thanks to the power of friendship, sugar and rainbows, our heroes recover their strength.

Zjld0.png
CrD0w.png

Cecil uses the crystal that his brother gave him and Zeromus reveals its true form: Hiper Metroid.

pebhL.png
I6dle.png

Edge throws everything valuable he has: the kitchen knife, Excalibur, etc.
Zeromus's only attack at this point is Big Bang, that is pretty strong.

0hOrg.png
E8lBn.png

I don't know how much HP Zeromus has, but it's like it is pretty high. In these images we can see the cycle of attacking/curing.

5XcjZ.png
WKN4n.png

When its HP is low, Zeromus starts using Meteor. It's weaker than Big Bang, so I'm happy that it wastes time using it. At last, Zeromus dies. I left Rydia dead because I thought Zeromus would counter my magic and I didn't want to check it.

4fbD9.png
fyxr6.png

Zeromus says the typical message before dying. Everyone is safe and the lunarians can rest again.

PbK7C.png
GmTE3.png

The Final Fantasy IV characters are happy that there won't be more problems, for the time being...
THE END

UEzN4.png

Scythian

I'm finished with Final Fantasy 2. Here's my entire playthrough:

I start the game and get revived by Hilda and Mindu at the rebels' HQ.
iu9prlLnESDov.bmp

And start walking around and fighting monsters.
ibfI3m5d1KBLTf.bmp

Suddenly I'm in a cave fighting some more.
ixDjLMrRJPw0i.bmp

Then I get to Semitt Falls.
ibamo2enToFw8q.bmp

And deliver Mythril to Tobul for some kick-ass weapons and armor!
iq33xq8pOBd2N.bmp

I get a boat and sail forward to previously unreachable land.
i9rgHZu1BcoWs.bmp

And challenge Borghen to a fight.
iTgOl7HR1cFl3.bmp

Afterwards, I suddenly must destroy the Dreadnought,
iIa3rcjDAzaQ8.bmp

But before doing that, I must do other things of the utmost importance, like traversing this icy landscape
ibc9RUWPlRTYcA.bmp

And meeting these adorable rodents (?) and enjoying their cold swimming pool, which I first thought to be a hot spring.
ioU9FypqzHXEe.bmp

I get the Goddess' bell...
igsC7WTQ2oxLS.bmp

Fighting the Adamantoise.
i9WyT1gUbzBMK.bmp
iQXhybYdMcp8y.bmp

I get into Castle Deist to get the:
ibtzNHxfkh2TM0.bmp
iJolbB5CcJSwQ.bmp

And with it, I get into the Dreadnought and destroy it:
ib1mBRoxSIJfvE.bmp
iz557C0pOYCBN.bmp
ib1screzd1aTvh.bmp

I get the useful airship from Cid and sadly the king dies:
iTq7QYbbbzmRZ.bmp
ibcOLQdQGy5LJM.bmp

After that, I get to the last Wyvern and promise to deliver its egg to some place:
ibpfVEFYCIx1wu.bmp

I get into the Deist cavern to fulfil the dying Wyvern's promise:
ib1gDQS5zVoBjl.bmp
ibkePobuqC9xp.bmp

To come back to a weird-acting Hilda:
iYfC2AP3FsneZ.bmp

Who turns out to be an evil Lamia Queen D:
iJmMPPyrpVDxe.bmp

After I disposed of her, I make my way to the castle and use this mirror for something:
iJmMPPyrpVDxe.bmp

Fast-forward through underground, a jungly cave, and a magma-filled dungeon to gaining access to Mysidia Tower:

i1NXN6apGGVWJ.bmp

"Defeating" the emperor and some dancing:

i9bUwqMGNSQsR.bmp
iuVo1JK2cTSRg.bmp

I end up in the Jade passage fighting bosses:

i7kdQ2hXCbiEr.bmp
ibjv8N9MVZUb7z.bmp

And I'm finally at the Pandaemonium:
itN4ecPKlUzf1.bmp

Following some climbing and boss-fighting:
iFQdIV99KMVcc.bmp

I challenge the emperor to a final showdown:
imnarhUIXFAQF.bmp
iwGnkr5ebZ5S7.bmp

Die!
iRMxiuBNLeoTy.bmp

ibwJxxnUVmnAPh.bmp

...Indeed.

And that was my Final Fantasy 2 playthrough! :D
iYMdnCqG271cZ.bmp

My final party:
iUyVia9mCSbhl.bmp

Hope this isn't too long or image-filled, I just didn't post any updates, so I had to compress it into a single post.

Ourobolus

Banned
Started up FF3, decided to try my hand at a Four Job Fiesta. I rolled Monk for the first set. It was rough, but I managed to beat the Giant Rat after a few tries. I'll post screens when I get the chance later.

(Yes, I used White Mage to turn Mini, once after the mountain with Bahamut, and once to go through the Eye of Nepto, but that's it)

Bladenic

About to head to Mysidian Tower in Final Fantasy 2, haven't played in a while and today was the first day in some time. About 14 hours in, I hope to beat it before Tales of Graces f comes out, I figure I can do so in about 3-4 hours more.

And I just ordered the GBA version of Final Fantasy 5, now I can finally play and beat the game this time! Then, after beating 5 and 7, Final Fantasy 6 will be the only one left for me to beat. Feels strange, that. But I look forward to saying that I beat the entire series.

Man, I haven't been making a lot of progress because there are so many games demaning my attention. Also because I was pretty lost.

Part III: Deshtiny

Our heroes were on the search for a village of ancients. In the desert, they find a... floating... wig... of... sorts?

c2fUU.jpg

Anyway, it's minding its own business, and not long after team Soup enters the village of the ancients. Also, chocobos!

VBXOi.jpg

The village itself doesn't really seem to have much in the term of plot progression, but the shops do sell some nice gear and magic spells. Cure2, for example.

VkC87.jpg
PYtiv.jpg

So then, what next? After wandering around aimlessly for awhile we come across Argass castle. Oh, that's right! His soldiers slaughtered that poor village. Strangely, the castle is completely deserted, but some nice loot (mostly gil) can be found amongst its hidden hallways.

6CitI.jpg
ryDdl.jpg

After exploring the contintent a little more, we come across a cave filled with sages who can see the future. Apparently Desh is supposed to go to the tower up north, but only frogs can enter it. Urgh. Also WHAT IS THAT THING.

jia1X.jpg
jcCr9.jpg

OxGMa.jpg
OJKjk.jpg

Well then. Here we go.

HmRpV.jpg

Thankfully, once inside, we were able to unfrog ourselves. Thanks, Square! Soon afterwards, creepy voices are heard...

Kv6kp.jpg
7AZ27.jpg

They weren't kidding about the tower part. This is the biggest dungeon so far. The enemies aren't very difficult, but because of ten floors filled with them, the party does start to wear out after a while. Especially because of magic running low.

4bVi2.jpg

At the top, we learn about some guy named Sir Zande, and we have to fight Medusa.

hTtBs.jpg
lZM0e.jpg

She's not very tough at all. The only attack she did was Break, which missed evey time. Seriously, I don't even know what it does, but one would assume petrification. That could've gotten nasty, but it didn't.

Blaaaaarghhhhh damn you light warriors aaaah...

zCaeq.jpg

Apparently, the tower is still going to explode. But then, Desh finally remembers what it is he's supposed to do!

Bu1AH.jpg
BUNmz.jpg
CNNpL.jpg

Kill himself. Somehow, it stopped the tower from exploding, which in turn stopped our world from falling from the sky.

Plfrt.

SphVH.jpg

So, land of the dwarves eh? I don't know where that is!

11Gvb.jpg

Jucksalbe

Banned
How did you get to the Ancients' Village before doing the Tower of Owen? Don't you need the whirl in the sea to disappear first to reach it?

Jucksalbe

Banned
I had to look that up on a map. You're right. Somehow I missed that you can reach Tokkle in the south at that point. It's not even a small spot, I must have been tired when I played that segment.

Top Bottom