• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In terms of natural beauty, which US state do you think is best? Prove it with a pic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Noncontiguous states and territories got this on lock. Then Utah then the west then everything else.

cdyhybrid

I think one could argue that South Carolina is consistently the most pleasant state year-round. A lot of these photos are cherry-picking the best spots in a state at the best time of the year. In SC, there are gorgeous places year-round.

We also have the best beaches in America. Period.

mb_f2441e3e-7a24-4d12-9868-24dcaf616adb.jpg

Huntington-Beach-State-Park-46806.jpg

huntington-beach-state-park-17176.jpg
I know a lot of people in SC probably consider Hawai'i part of Kenya, but nah b.

I think one could argue that South Carolina is consistently the most pleasant state year-round. A lot of these photos are cherry-picking the best spots in a state at the best time of the year. In SC, there are gorgeous places year-round.

Nooooo. I was stationed down there while in the military. Way too hot for me in the summer!

Utah is amazingly gorgeous. I think the best parts of Utah are some of the most beautiful anywhere. It is not the state with the most variety lol

Just off the top of my head:

Hawaii
Alaska
Wyoming (Yellowstone!)
Colorado
California
Pacific Northwest

Although, when it comes down to it, most states have some absolutely breathtaking views.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Last time for me on Hawaii. If ever given a chance head to the Big Island and try and catch a boat tour that goes to watch the lava flow hitting the ocean. Some of the nicer ones go around sunset and its gorgeous.

usgs-lava.jpg

7zQOQXN.jpg

marzlapin

In my totally biased opinion: California. Some slightly lesser known spots since the more famous ones have already been posted:

Joshua Tree National Park
3fJW9JX.jpg

Kelp forests
qAQMcYV.jpg

Tehachapi Mountains
axsrfBH.jpg

Humboldt County
weStdr0.jpg

We've got a lot of cool fauna, too, and only some of them want to kill you.

I've always heard that places like Montana, Alaska, Washington, California, Hawaii, Colorado, etc. are beautiful, but before moving to Arkansas I never heard it mentioned as a place with beautiful scenery. I was shocked by how gorgeous it is here.

vol-bg-arkansas.jpg

web-TZCL-VR-2-Rewk-of-Sams-sunset-1ds-MKII-E4J0034-HDR-1.jpg

09_16_13-sunrise-over-Bee-Bluff-fall-2011.jpg

4618931644_1281x645.jpg

Inspiration_Pt.jpg

rjc571

Banned
Alternate thread title: "What state are you from"

There are beautiful areas in every single state. Except New Jersey, of course.

South Carolina does have its upsides...

I have to say there are prettier states on the whole, like Montana. But there's something to be said for SC's variety. From the mountainous northwest, to the forests, to the rural plains, to the marshes, and finally to the beaches on the east.
Making my first visit to SC now and yeah maybe not the top spot but I've seen some amazing sights already. From New England myself but I can't put the area near the top.
Some of the places in this thread are just stunning and can't believe I've never seen some of them before in pictures.

kess

As a Nova Scotian, I'm partial to the American Northeast.

The Northeast has a certain elusive personality and wilderness that doesn't always lend itself to flashy photographs. New Jersey gets dumped on (literally) but the unspoilt areas of the state have some of the singularly unique places in the entire country.

Xe4

Banned

I don't think that's entirely true. I'm from NM and I still handily mentioned Utah. Some people even chose to shit on their state, lol.

rjinaz

Well yes and no. I lived in Illinois longer in my life than Arizona and I'm not going to post Illinois as equally as beautiful as Arizona, because it just isn't. There is no doubt some partiality going on though for people that live in these states, I agree.

HStallion

Since everyone likes to shit on New Jersey and the fact I've been living here for over a year and have been visiting some of the more unspoilt areas, I'll post a few pics showing even NJ can look rather beautiful and pristine.

Batona_Trail_3.jpg

2009-11-04_20-View_north_from_the_top_of_the_Apple_Pie_Hill_fire_tower.jpg

full-trees.jpg

And here we have some of the local fauna in their native habitat:

maxresdefault.jpg

I see you've never been to Hawaii; Maui in particular.

I know a lot of people in SC probably consider Hawai'i part of Kenya, but nah b.

Never been. They look nice online, but part of why the beaches are better in SC is their accessibility. You can drive to the beaches here, you don't have to get a thousand dollar flight.

There are large, preserved areas of beach wilderness along the coast with miles of sand and plenty of space even at peak tourist season. Or you can go down to the board walks and watch nutty people with Bud Lite and farmer tans wander around. You can even sit on the shore and stare out at Fort Sumter, where the Civil War started, or go down to the inlets and watch boats in the harbor.

Nah. I lived in Georgia, Louisiana, and Kansas while I was in the military.

Georgia's fugly at best and the other two are straight-up hideous.

I moved to Washington well into adulthood and it's way, way prettier than any of those states.

Alaska and Hawaii are hard to beat, but AZ and UT are amazing in their own right.

Dead Horse Point in UT near Moab:
8635861188_173f843beb_c.jpg

Watching a sunrise here was otherwordly.

Toxi

Banned
As someone living in Colorado, it's hard not to vote for it. The Rockies are so beautiful.

But Washington... That rainforest is something else.

Someone's never been to Nebraska. I feel physically ill driving through there.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Never been. They look nice online, but part of why the beaches are better in SC is their accessibility. You can drive to the beaches here, you don't have to get a thousand dollar flight.

You do realize that if you LIVE in Hawaii as a few million US citizens do... That every single resident is within a few miles drive of an amazing beach even in the worst case scenario? .... how are South Carolina beaches more accesable?

...Oh no son. Did you just give your state an anthropomorphic view....?

Never been out west, but having driven up and down the east the most beautiful scenery to me is the Maryland - Pennsylvania border, particularly I-70. Central/eastern TN comes close too. I live in GA and it's one of the dullest states, along with Alabama and the I-20 part of SC, just endless miles of garbage pine trees.

HStallion

Where is that in NJ?

This is the Pine Barrens in Southern Jersey. Its not really mountainous but it's a sea of trees. It's where the Jersey Devil lives and it may sound weird but it's one of the few forests I'd call a little creepy. It's very quiet and its like an endless sea of green. I'd compare it to the forest with the spiders in the Hobbit that Bilbo and company march through on the way to the lonely mountain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom