• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overall, which Batman Arkham game is the best?

Which mainline Batman Arkham game is the best in the series?

• Batman: Arkham Asylum

• Batman: Arkham City

• Batman: Arkham Origins

• Batman: Arkham Knight

Results are only viewable after voting.
Arkham Knight should’ve had more traditional bosses and fewer tank battles. It would’ve been the perfect Batman game.

It’s basically a Batman simulator and yes, you REALLY feel like Batman in that game.
Seriously. Knight is the one I least want to replay due to no good boss battles and insufferable tank battles

Romulus

Spider-Man 2 says hi.

Spider-Man GIF

I wasn't a fan of the combat at all and that's where hulk shines.

Roufianos

Asylum for me, absolutely love the atmosphere that you don't get with an open world.

City is a close second, Origins was pretty good.

Knight is awesome for racing fans.

Sleepwalker

City but the scarecrow fight in asylum is the most memorable thing for me out of the series, for some reason it stuck with me since playing it back then.

stn

The original, probably. It was the most unique. I might go with Origins, too. I might have picked Knight if it had some proper boss fights. Hmmm...

Asylum > Origins = City > Knight

mrmustard

Banned
1. City
2. Asylum
3. Origins
4. Knight
5. The one where he wears the blue + red suit and shoots webs

Last edited:
Asylum was God-Tier when it came out but then City came out and blew it away with the way batman could glide around the city. I have to give it to City but the first two were both amazing. Loved Knight as well and thought the batmobile sections were cool, dunno why they got so much hate. Great games all around... I was burnt out and didn't play origins so can't comment on that one.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I own Origins, but haven't played more than 5 minutes. Just wasn't in the mood 5 years ago and that was that.

I remember during/after City thinking that it was good fun, but wasn't as solid of an experience as Asylum was. As others have said, a lean metroidvania experience. But City was by no means bad, just slightly less good than Asylum.

Last edited:
Asylum is the best but City is really not far behind.

The others are really far behind both though.

I would def buy a well done Asylum remaster!

Last edited:

iorek21

A draw between Asylum and City.

Knight is beautiful, has an interesting story and great production value, but feels souless in comparison to the first two.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
City feels like the perfect balance.

Asylum/Knight are both excellent in their own ways, but City gives you just enough of a playground and world to explore.

Mowcno

Asylum > Knight > City > Origins

Knight streamlined things from city and made the openworld more palatable. I didn't find the batmobile sections as repugnant as most.

City proved to me that openworld isn't always better.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I loved Asylum as it was the first, but City was that plus more IMO. The others I still enjoyed, but they were definitely messier.

Asylum is really the only one I ever want to replay. I don't necessarily feel like going open world was an improvment over that game's format. I do like the art design of Knight though.

Rockondevil

Loved Asylum but City just opened the world in a way many open world games don't. There's always something going on in the city.
Origins and Knight were fun and the Batmobile was fun, though a little overused in the latter.

coffinbirth

I would also like to point out the lesser-known entry which is Arkham Origins: Blackgate. It is technically a sequel to Origins, but is a 2.5D Metroidvania developed by Armature Studio, so it's kinda BatmanXMetroid. Kinda. It was released on all the platforms at the time, unfortunately that time was a month before the release of PS4 and XBO, and isn't backwards compatible, sadly.
It's a weird game (you can't jump) with sometimes frustrating fights, but IMO a hidden gem.

Origins' story kinda sucks but it has by far the best combat in the series. Being able to store a finisher changes things up a lot. It's by far the best pacing too.
I'm not crazy about the fast travel system and how it's unlocked, but I'll take that over Batman: car any day.

Cashon

Banned
I would also like to point out the lesser-known entry which is Arkham Origins: Blackgate. It is technically a sequel to Origins, but is a 2.5D Metroidvania developed by Armature Studio, so it's kinda BatmanXMetroid. Kinda. It was released on all the platforms at the time, unfortunately that time was a month before the release of PS4 and XBO, and isn't backwards compatible, sadly.
It's a weird game (you can't jump) with sometimes frustrating fights, but IMO a hidden gem.
I actually own this for the 3DS; I've only played the initial hour or so though.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I played Knight last year and it's really, really good, and you can tell Rocksteady put a lot of work into the Batmobile. This means, of course, making it a part of the core gameplay experience, which turned off a lot of people including many people in this thread. But they sort of had to as soon as they decided to go in that direction, because if it was just some car you drove around, nobody would use it (gliding around works fine) and it'd just be a gimmick to slap on the box. And I am glad they at least tried because the game, despite being open world like City, feels very different. I really appreciate we got three different Arkham games that all feel distinct, unlike the normal Ubi trash at the time and what not.

Last edited:

Cashon

Banned
I played Knight last year and it's really, really good, and you can tell Rocksteady put a lot of work into the Batmobile. This means, of course, making it a part of the core gameplay experience, which turned off a lot of people including many people in this thread. But they sort of had to as soon as they decided to go in that direction, because if it was just some car you drove around, nobody would use it (gliding around works fine) and it'd just be a gimmick to slap on the box. And I am glad they at least tried because the game, despite being open world like City, feels very different. I really appreciate we got three different Arkham games that all feel distinct, unlike the normal Ubi trash at the time and what not.
This is a very reasonable take.

RAIDEN1

The thing is there was a way to integrate the car into the game, like how Konami did it with Batman returns in 1992.....or how it was done on the Sega CD, instead of it turning how it did...probably one of the least enjoyable parts of Arkham Knight

City, improved on literally every aspect of the first game. Better bosses, more Metroidvania touches, better combat, better stealth, better ensemble cast, more interesting story and sub plots.

People say the stealth in Asylum is amazing but I disagree. It was fine when it came out, but there was an awful lot of gargoyle hoping inside small indoor areas. City improves on this a thousand fold, with bigger areas and more options for how to approach stealth. The boss “fights” (if you can call them that even) were terrible or nonexistent in Asylum. City is hands down the better game.

Last edited:
I am fond of Arkham Origins and am a sucker for a Christmas setting. Cold, Cold Heart DLC is peak Batman for me. Meanwhile, most stealth segments and batmobile are not enjoyable to me.

Last edited:

Denton

I think lot more people would vote Knight if they played it 4K 60fps. It looks insane and plays so god damn pleasantly. I had zero problem enjoying the batmobile parts when the batmobile controls so well and everything is so smooth.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I think lot more people would vote Knight if they played it 4K 60fps. It looks insane and plays so god damn pleasantly. I had zero problem enjoying the batmobile parts when the batmobile controls so well and everything is so smooth.
Well stinky WB never patched it for PS4 Pro. I don’t even think they did it for the Arkham collection (which were shit ports).

Yeh Asylum is the best Batman game because it was a GOTY game on its own. Has nothing to do with the Batman IP. There were plenty of average / rather good Batman games before that.
I'm only guessing because we've randomly had 5ish threads about the Arkham series, all within the same week. Either these are hidden Rocksteady accounts trying to hype people up for the I.P. and Suicide Squad, or people collectively miss this I.P. and/or Rocksteady in general. How an amazing studio managed to be locked up toiling away for one game that has a high potential to bomb and still isn't out yet, is beyond me.

Last edited:
I'm only guessing because we've randomly had 5ish threads about the Arkham series, all within the same week. Either these are hidden Rocksteady accounts trying to hype people up for the I.P. and Suicide Squad, or people collectively miss this I.P. and/or Rocksteady in general. How an amazing studio managed to be locked up toiling away for one game that has a high potential to bomb and still isn't out yet, is beyond me.
It is a real tragedy. One would think after seeing Arkham Knights reception the publisher would cut their losses and request an evaluation of how produced content could be repurposed.

It is a real tragedy. One would think after seeing Arkham Knights reception the publisher would cut their losses and request an evaluation of how produced content could be repurposed.
At that point in the dev timeline it was too late. The perfect moment would have been around the time The Avengers didn't sell correctly, reviewed low, and started slowly dying. If anyone at the top would have been keeping an eye out for stuff like this, they would have had the chance back then to turn the ship around.

Edit: Also you made me remember Gotham Knights actually released and no one cared lol.

Last edited:

TastyPastry

i think arkham knight is overall the best even though it has many flaws and is in some ways way worse than arkham city. arkham city blew me away the most when i first played it though.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
Overall, it's Arkham Knight. Best gameplay, car is a nice plus, beautiful graphics and the story is not that bad - though City has a more surprising ending. Other games have better aspects, but the greatest package is Knight.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Knight in no particular order due to: culmination of the stealth and combat systems, batmobile is amazing in the streets and I aso liked the puzzles with it, the graphics, the infinite little touches all over the game, the joker presence and dialogue, the morphing open world due batman mental problems, the graphics again, the riddler trophies were mostly great too (some quite thoughtful ones I though), the amount of dialogue from enemies/NPCs is absolutely staggering (I think they said more text than all 3 lord of the rings novels? Might be mixing it up with Hitman 2016 though), the side missions, the riddler races were 90% really fun (I had top 150 scores on some of them I was so addicted ha, I never do that in SP games, probably much closer to top 1 if you remove pure bullshit cheating scores :messenger_face_steam:), the open world missions you just come across and even the challenge missions like "knock out as many Humvees as possible in 2 mins" were really fun to repeat in the batmobile.

I also really like the tank battles as well, I don't why it was just a great little mini-game for me and clicked instantly, perfect shooting with the cannon was fun but then you could also one-shot almost any tank by hitting the weakpoint with a single gatling gun shot, and after doing them a few times it was fun to try that, though it was very hard on controller I should have just used the mouse, doh!

There isn't much I don't like about the game, the shit performance on PC ofc lol, even today I still don't have a GPU capable of playing it at 4K locked 60fps max settings (No PhysX effects still, that just destroys the framerate no matter what and disallows a lock to anything more than 30fps), my GTX 1080 can play almost every moment locked at 1440p@60 or 4K@30 (with modern sync methods to avoid massive input lag + tearing) outside of the very specific parts of the map and ultra closeups of scarecrow in cutscenes.

A 3080 Ti can almost do it but still has more than a few drops according to Richard Leadbetter from Digital Foundry, maybe with external sync its better but I think you need a 4080 to lock it lmao, thats insane. I think maybe AC: Unity is similar, for max settings including the soft shadows and "only" 2x MSAA @ 4K to lock 60fps you need a 3090 Ti or above, so for 4x or even 8x MSAA you can't lock to 60, though the latter is probably pointless unless you're playing on a 65" or bigger display and really close to it.

The other games

I loved Asylum and City as well, both have some amazing moments but the back and forth in both is a bit much sometimes (I loved metroidvania games too). The open world and riddler trophies of City is excellent, a bit above Asylum. The catwoman stuff is excellent in City too, I loved the way she fights. You can play as her in Knight's SP too to an extent but its more in the challenge missions. Both amazing games, but Knight is something I could play 100x through, I have 250+ hours logged on it.

I played Origins way later after playing the others at launch and I have to say I understand its charm, parts are great and some moments are superb but overall I think its a big letdown, the open world was clearly sized up way late in development to make it look more epic and the distances are all off so for example you should be able to grapnel to the top of a building but you need to stand on a nearby car and then it suddenly works lol, the gloves are cool but make the combat trivial, many buldings are also all just repeating boxes in a really obvious way with the decorations like windows and doors plopped on really poorly and once you notice it its awful, the interiors looks mostly trash and boxy as well, the scale is off there too. The open world and finding riddler trophies is really bad and not fun at all.

I think my only complaints about the batmobile is that there aren't more animation for the batmobile takedown (If you hold the summon batmobile button he doesn't get in and it stops right by you with a cool skid stop and then you can use it for takedowns when fighting after having glided around a lot and its far away) and that when it drops/falls off a ledge to a lower area it falls in a floaty way unlike the slam down when you go off a ramp and land, plus the sound effect isn't nearly as good.

What GPU do you have? 🤓

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Asylum but City was great as well. It was all fresh and new in Asylum and the pacing was 10/10.

Yes.

Asylum is top 3 in my 'best paced games of all time'.

There is almost no fluff in the game, it is an amazing experience through and through.

And the Riddle stuff is actually fun, before the open-world games turned it into an exercise in tedium.

The Alien

Banned
They're all great. Probably 1 or 2.
Origins always flies under the radelar but is awesome. And Knight looks amazing (still) but gets overshadowed by the controversial batmobile parts and the launch performance fiasco (I played on XBox which ran well...but heard PC was refund-worthy).

Now I'm kinda pissed cuz the games we getting are Githan Knights which is better than its reputation but still not great. And I 'can't even/just no' on Suicide Squad vs JL. Was hyped but that trailer was beyond cringe.

Top Bottom