• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games 2015 [May] Now Voting - Post 348!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Now that sounds like a hit - do we get rolling pin upgrades?

Yes of course, and perma death. Twist: Once you die, your character will turn to a Nazi Zombie yourself that you will need to defeat on your next run.

titch

Yes of course, and perma death. Twist: Once you die, your character will turn to a Nazi Zombie yourself that you will need to defeat on your next run.

As long as the rolling pin becomes a zombie too then i'm still in!!!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Current IndieGameStand deal: Eschalon series, very good and old school RPGs.
UpOngMr.jpg

http://indiegamestand.com/

Feist - July 23rd (PC, Mac, Linux)
Feist_3_1920.jpg

http://playfeist.net/

Outwit a sprawling forest full of secret danger and fierce creatures in a lush and visually striking action-packed game

The Curious Expedition - $14.99 (PC, Mac, Linux)
zTQSwYq.jpg

http://www.curious-expedition.com/

The Curious Expedition is a roguelike expedition simulation set in the late 19th century. Together with famous personalities you will venture on unprecedented expeditions to regions never explored before for fame, science and treasures.

So I introduced my parents to my blog and indie games a few days ago. You guys think Indie Game The Movie would be worth them checking out to get an understanding of the whole indie game scene?

SerTapTap

I've still never watched Indie Game The Movie, would it be worth watching if I've been following indie games for years and talking with actual indie devs for 2+ years? Interviews with Edmund McMillen are the only things about it that seem interesting to me

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I feel like Indie Game: The Movie isn't nearly as relevant as it once was to the way the scene currently stands and has too narrow a scope to properly represent modern 'Indie" development. When it was made, the subjects were still unquestionably the top dogs in town, having kicked the door in for Xbox Live to start being the home for Indie gaming. In the 5-7 year gap since then, we've had such an explosion of activity that IG:TM isn't too much more than a magnifying glass on a very small, dated segment of the market.

I wouldn't say to never watch it, but if you've been talking to other indie devs for years (including the ones in the film), you really won't get to see or learn much that you don't already know.

Dascu

So I introduced my parents to my blog and indie games a few days ago. You guys think Indie Game The Movie would be worth them checking out to get an understanding of the whole indie game scene?

Can I ask why you would want your parents to get a better understanding of indie games?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I think for the purpose of introducing some outsiders, it's fine. It's a little cherry-picked, but since they don't have much of a baseline to go off of it isn't awful. Are they interested in keeping a dialog open about your passion with you, M_B? Or is it just an, "oh, what is our little baddie up to these days?" thing?

Phawx

I've still never watched Indie Game The Movie, would it be worth watching if I've been following indie games for years and talking with actual indie devs for 2+ years? Interviews with Edmund McMillen are the only things about it that seem interesting to me

Yea. What's funny is I went to PAX East when Phil Fish was there and talked with him at length. I had zero clue that all of the drama was happening in the background.

It's still a good movie. As far as documentaries go, I'm a bit into From Bedrooms to Billions, which is basically the UK indie scene as it was in the 80's and so far it's really fascinating. Especially the part about computer game magazines having code that you could retype into ZX-81 to get stuff running.

Kind of upset the C64 and ZX Speccy never came to US in a big way.

I don't see any harm in them watching the movie.

I think for the purpose of introducing some outsiders, it's fine. It's a little cherry-picked, but since they don't have much of a baseline to go off of it isn't awful. Are they interested in keeping a dialog open about your passion with you, M_B? Or is it just an, "oh, what is our little baddie up to these days?" thing?
Let's just I was shocked at how supportive they are. I was worried they would be all "Oh so this is what you've been wasting your time on"

They're pretty excited and proud that I found a passion and been working on it for 2 years. The fact that I had gotten offers to write for sites and even got an email from Apple asking if I'd be interested in a position as an App Store Editor, because of my blog and IOS threads here, helped.

They've been spreading the word throughout the family. It's actually really weird talking with my parents about indie games and developers and all that.

The good thing is that I'll finally be getting a new laptop this week, cause they want me to keep up my blog and my iPad wasn't cutting it

SerTapTap

Something I really enjoyed with Life of Pixel is that it covered some of those retro computer systems, I never even heard of some of them. Really interesting to read about them in retrospect, I might pick up a couple when I'm building up my retro collection. I only ever had a C64, and it was broken. After much effort I got it to boot once and never again, we ditched it (it wasn't new, it was given by a family friend in case I could fix it, I guess I could have kept it for parts if I knew I was going to be into collecting/retro).

titch

Yea. What's funny is I went to PAX East when Phil Fish was there and talked with him at length. I had zero clue that all of the drama was happening in the background.

It's still a good movie. As far as documentaries go, I'm a bit into From Bedrooms to Billions, which is basically the UK indie scene as it was in the 80's and so far it's really fascinating. Especially the part about computer game magazines having code that you could retype into ZX-81 to get stuff running.

I think its the back to the 80's part of the indie scene that has me buzzing about games again it's a throwback time to when game were exciting and even more so when it was something created by a one man show and you get the feeling an individual has poured more than just time into a game.

I always thought the c64 was popular in the US and the speccy was only really big in the uk.

Something I really enjoyed with Life of Pixel is that it covered some of those retro computer systems, I never even heard of some of them. Really interesting to read about them in retrospect, I might pick up a couple when I'm building up my retro collection. I only ever had a C64, and it was broken. After much effort I got it to boot once and never again, we ditched it (it wasn't new, it was given by a family friend in case I could fix it, I guess I could have kept it for parts if I knew I was going to be into collecting/retro).

Man I loved my c64 so many great memories and I still have a box of originals kicking about, shame my c64 has long since went to the old hardware graveyard :(

Toma

Still must be a great feeling to get an offer like that!!!

Makes sense though, I mean why wouldnt you ask someone who actively showed passion in an area you need someone for. I was in talks with a few people about Indie Game sections/collaborations for website coverage, but didnt work out so far. I'd love to give these Indies more coverage though, we'll see if anything else happens in the future.

titch

Of course

Was more that the quality of his work was good enough to get offers like that.

Same with yourself.

Phawx

I always thought the c64 was popular in the US and the speccy was only really big in the uk.
(

The only time I saw a C64 was inside of this Amiga shop in my town. The place was so alien to me. I can remember finding Space Quest 4 there and wanting to buy it and the dude asked me if I owned an Amiga.

I remember saying I had DOS and he told me it wouldn't work. Had to go to Electronics Boutique to get that game.

titch

I guess when i was younger it seemed there were more games coming from US based publishers coming out for the c64 than any other computer system in the uk - dos(windows) based systems didn't become more popular till the 90's over here.

The hotly-anticipated sequel to Expeditions: Conquistador is here. Behold Expeditions: Viking, and gasp in awe at its glorious visage.

This is seriously good news, SteamGAF. EC is an underappreciated gem of an RPG/Roguelike/strategy game. High hopes for the sequel.

Let's just I was shocked at how supportive they are. I was worried they would be all "Oh so this is what you've been wasting your time on"

They're pretty excited and proud that I found a passion and been working on it for 2 years. The fact that I had gotten offers to write for sites and even got an email from Apple asking if I'd be interested in a position as an App Store Editor, because of my blog and IOS threads here, helped.

They've been spreading the word throughout the family. It's actually really weird talking with my parents about indie games and developers and all that.

The good thing is that I'll finally be getting a new laptop this week, cause they want me to keep up my blog and my iPad wasn't cutting it

That's very cool of them!

Butcher - Free alpha (PC, Linux, Browser)
butcher2a.png

http://www.thd.vg/butcher

Butcher is a fast-paced 2D shooter game and a blood-soaked love letter to the early 90s. You are a cyborg whose sole purpose is to eradicate all organic life. So your main objective is to, well, kill everything that moves. Lots of blood and pain awaits you and your victims.

Finally I'm back. New laptop, way better specs than my last one too. My Steam backlog is looking more overwhelming than ever before
Edit: woohoo, I can finally play Organic Panic and Transistor isn't a slideshow anymore and Distance runs smoothly. I'm a happy indie gamer right now

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Been futzing around in Cosmonautica. Pretty fun space trading game. My goal is to become the greatest smut peddler that the galaxy has ever seen.

AtrrXwE.jpg

titch

Holy crap can't believe I never popped into this thread.
So many good games here I am "excite".
Feist and Malebolgia have me most excited so thank you for those referrals!

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/updates/397397412/1431219244

You guys should check out Gem Wars too.
D159729754CD5CCCF42921CF4F7F4CB970AA429D

Yeah the amount of awesome indies can be overwhelming - hope you stick around as it's great to see what going on - gem wars looks fun will keep an eye out for it hitting steam.

Finally I'm back. New laptop, way better specs than my last one too. My Steam backlog is looking more overwhelming than ever before
Edit: woohoo, I can finally play Organic Panic and Transistor isn't a slideshow anymore and Distance runs smoothly. I'm a happy indie gamer right now

Sweet - can't beat some new faster hardware :)

SerTapTap

I don't usually give negative impressions, but I played almost only poor games yesterday...

Pongo is...pretty bad, IMO. I love flatshaded polys and toon shaders, but they're just not well done in this game. The art style is really flat and uninteresting, and the toon lines dont' seem to really know what they're doing, the edges just don't look right in many cases. Gameplay isn't much better, you switch between a very basic "shooting" mode and a pogo mode which is interesting but the controls are very annoying. You basically have to wait at the edge of a platform and time your jump-meter at the very peak to make a large amount of the jumps so the action slows very frequently. There's not a ton of level variety visually (zero variety) or gameplay-wise (lots of reuse). It frankly feels like a clone of Lovely Planet (which I do recommend) with a major identity crisis.

I'm also a bit iffy about the game having a probably doomed Kickstarter but not saying it's early access on Steam, despite the kickstarter talking about further refinements and bugtesting.

Drive Any Track did not impress--it's in early access so it might improve and all, but it really just feels like a modified clone of Audiosurf with really fussy "car" controls added onto it. It doesn't really have the nice flow or simplicity of control that Audiosurf does. Being able to pick your own music is a nice feature but hardly unique anymore.

Say speaking of Audiosurf, how did Audiosurf 2 come out?

I enjoyed the writing for Will Fight For Food: Super Actual Sellout: Game Of The Hour, going to do a let's play soon. Only played about 10 minutes but the humor is very much to my taste so I'm sure I'll enjoy it regardless of the actual gameplay.

I also played a bit of Uncanny Valley...very slow start, can't really say much about it overall. But as far as indie horror games I've noticed this is a somewhat common problem. I think Lone Survivor really nailed the pacing. Very, very little fluff, doesn't take you too long to get into the "action" but the action still starts off easy and ramps up well. I'll give it another stab, but I was hoping to do a blind let's play but gave up about 10 minutes in due to it not being interesting.

Did I mention Lemma in here before? Good game, first person parkour/puzzle thing, controls impressively well due to very forgiving controls. Was honestly expecting control to be a nightmare, very surprised.

Get on dat Transistor immediately, fantastic game. Is Organic Panic done yet? Kickstarted but it was a bit too incomplete when it hit early access.

SerTapTap

Yeah Lovely Planet was great. To be blunt it really feels like Lovely Planet vs Pongo is the difference between knowing what you're doing and not. Control, visual style and level design is absolutely nailed in Lovely Planet. Pongo is rough all over.

Is there a name for that kind of speedrun-encouraging game BTW? I've noticed several others, see also 10 Second Ninja, Velocity Ultra/2X and Mighty Switch Force. I don't have the patience to do "normal" speedrunning but I really like the bitesized levels designed for speedrunning with a reasonable "par" time for non-world record chasing people. I think it's a cool trend to see in indies, though I'm never sure what to call it. "speedrun game" doesn't feel quite right, you can speedrun anything with enough patience, skill and a category.

Toma

Someone here recommended Distant Worlds to me a few million moons ago.
..thank you.

It took me 2-3 years to finally get over what I thought was a pretty significant barrier, only to find out that the game is nowhere near as daunting as I thought at first, and pretty damn awesome.

Someone here recommended Distant Worlds to me a few million moons ago.
..thank you.

It took me 2-3 years to finally get over what I thought was a pretty significant barrier, only to find out that the game is nowhere near as daunting as I thought at first, and pretty damn awesome.

Any good advice on where to start with that? I've had Distance Worlds on my steam for the best part of a year now and every time I go back to it I still end up more confused then when I started

Yeah Lovely Planet was great. To be blunt it really feels like Lovely Planet vs Pongo is the difference between knowing what you're doing and not. Control, visual style and level design is absolutely nailed in Lovely Planet. Pongo is rough all over.

Is there a name for that kind of speedrun-encouraging game BTW? I've noticed several others, see also 10 Second Ninja, Velocity Ultra/2X and Mighty Switch Force. I don't have the patience to do "normal" speedrunning but I really like the bitesized levels designed for speedrunning with a reasonable "par" time for non-world record chasing people. I think it's a cool trend to see in indies, though I'm never sure what to call it. "speedrun game" doesn't feel quite right, you can speedrun anything with enough patience, skill and a category.
I tend to lump stuff like Lovely Planet and 10 Second Ninja in with SMB and VVVVVV as precision platformers.

SerTapTap

I tend to lump stuff like Lovely Planet and 10 Second Ninja in with SMB and VVVVVV as precision platformers.

They share an execution requirement, but the core spirit of the game is a bit different.Especially with Lovely Planet being not entirely a platformer, and Velocity not at all (well, partially in 2X). I want to call them speedgames or something. They all share a high execution requirement, but usually allow lower speed non-par/ "1/3 stars" completions, focus on routing in addition to execution, and usually individual bite-sized levels with their own leaderboards rather than a full game completion for a run.

Toma

Any good advice on where to start with that? I've had Distance Worlds on my steam for the best part of a year now and every time I go back to it I still end up more confused then when I started

Just to let you know, I am going to answer this. Maybe I am even making a new recommendation thread, dont know yet, but whenever I wrote whatever I can say about it, I'll let you know.

Just so much: It is MUCH easier to understand than I thought it would be, and I tried a few times with 1-2 hours each before. I just approached it in a wrong way.

epmode

Sure. The fonts can be tweaked a bit by screwing with Windows' magnification settings but the real problem are the icons. They're far too small on my 27 inch monitor at 1440p. Their relative size also makes it tough to click them.

I have the same problem with Paradox's grand strategy games.

4K would be impossible to see but at least those monitors scale 1080p perfectly. It's not so easy with 1440p or 1600p.

I'd show a lossless screenshot but Fraps doesn't work with this game.

I just started using the awesomeness that is Big Picture mode. I think I'm in love

Weird that some games say keyboard/mouse only but have gamepad support. Like Distance

mvtn

Yes, it would. That movie is really well crafted even for those who aren't familiar with (indie) games at all. What is your blog, anyway? I actually ran indie games blog for almost a year, but after feeling sick of Windows, I switched back to Linux, which means that I won't be able to play most of the indie games.

Speaking of Linux, is there somebody who is mainly playing on Linux? How is it and what distro do you use?

Top Bottom