• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

InfoScout: PS4 Uncharted bundle highest earning product at Best Buy on Black Friday

PS4 has too much momentum. Dunno why we still bother with these threads, the sales "winner" of the generation has already been defined. Both are fine consoles, but PS4 will outsell XBO during their lifetimes, plain and simple.
But this is the postseason in America. That is when things really get going and subscription usage is off the charts. This is the time for Xbox to strike.

Just a question:

If this is going by personal use of some App....

Doesn't it mean that it is only able to measure the type of user who uses such apps?

Hypothetically console buyers or something are more likely to use such an app to advertise their purchase.

Not that I discount the success of PS4 on Black Friday, I hope it does great, just saying.

Or maybe I don't understand what is going on here exactly.

latest

Is that a game?

Shenmue

Banned
I recall all PR from SE on ROTR post-backlash being handled by Phil Rogers, CEO of Square America/Europe though.

Ah I thought I had read comments from CD themselves. Perhaps I was mistaken.

In any case at least we won't have to hear SE or CD complain this time around if the game underperforms. They really have no one to blame but themselves this time.

Raist

Banned
Just a question:

If this is going by personal use of some App....

Doesn't it mean that it is only able to measure the type of user who uses such apps?

Hypothetically console buyers or something are more likely to use such an app to advertise their purchase.

Not that I discount the success of PS4 on Black Friday, I hope it does great, just saying.

Or maybe I don't understand what is going on here exactly.

Just look at the list in the OP. It's fairly varied.

Rise of the Tomb Raider was more or less bought to compete with Uncharted 4 until it got delayed. How much is Uncharted 4 in its first month going to outsell Rise of the Tomb Raider in its first month by? 8/1? 9/1? 10/1?

Elandyll

Banned
This.

I blame SE and CD the same in this. Hasn't CD been the one that keeps trumpeting the MS is a great partner and all this stuff?
I do believe that CD and MS have had a "partnership" at leat since Tomb Raider Underworld, where MS came in to purchase lifetime exclusive DLC content, which was then allegedly actually cut from the game itself.

I'm not making it up, they said so themselves (the privileged partnership):

http://www.destructoid.com/crystal-...hip-with-microsoft-began-in-2008-288147.phtml

The relation is between CD and MS, and CD probably helped MS "sell" the deal to S-E actually here (my guess).

Rise of the Tomb Raider was more or less bought to compete with Uncharted 4 until it got delayed. How much is Uncharted 4 in its first month going to outsell Rise of the Tomb Raider in its first month by? 8/1? 9/1? 10/1?

Too many unknown factors to make an accurate prediction (namely, TR's first month NPD).

But it's going to be brutal. 9/1's probably going to be the base and only up from there depending on UC4 reception.

Shenmue

Banned
I do believe that CD and MS have had a "partnership" at leat since Tomb Raider Underworld, where MS came in to purchase lifetime exclusive DLC content, which was then allegedly actually cut from the game itself.

I'm not making it up, they said so themselves (the privileged partnership):

http://www.destructoid.com/crystal-...hip-with-microsoft-began-in-2008-288147.phtml

The relation is between CD and MS, and CD probably helped MS "sell" the deal to S-E actually here (my guess).

Ah yes those are the quotes I remembered reading. Funny how the natural evolution of having a downloadable game on Summer of Arcade is a long timed exclusive for the newest major game.

Series establishing itself on Playstation 1 and building the fanbase there as well as PC fans essentially saving the 2013 game from being a financial failure got those two platforms nada.

Well, come next quarterly financials, we should know how much ROTR shipped since at the end of the day, it's a Square game and not a 1st party title where Sony/MS don't need to reveal game sales.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Didn't Kagari indicate they were running all over town looking for exclusives, and CD were the only ones willing to sign with them at that point? it seemed pretty clear this was gonna be their last third-party exclusive even before it turned in to a clusterfuck. Besides, Phil recently said they aren't even really gonna make first-party exclusives for the Bone anymore; the audience just isn't there. Their games will also be on Windows now, "when it makes sense," so basically, "always."

I seem to recall reading that Mass Effect Andromeda was the target, but EA was having none of that.

Boke1879

Well, come next quarterly financials, we should know how much ROTR shipped since at the end of the day, it's a Square game and not a 1st party title where Sony/MS don't need to reveal game sales.

I seem to recall reading that Mass Effect Andromeda was the target, but EA was having none of that.

Damn I wonder why. ME partnering with MS did very well on the 360. But I guess after Titanfall and seeing things play out they figure it's best to market the game themselves.

onQ123

PS4 has too much momentum. Dunno why we still bother with these threads, the sales "winner" of the generation has already been defined. Both are fine consoles, but PS4 will outsell XBO during their lifetimes, plain and simple.

You never know what can happen with a revamp, MS could release a smaller , cheaper Xbox One with a better controller that grab the market before PS4 get too far ahead.

Lets be honest the Wii was basically a revamped gamecube with a new controller & it sold 4 times faster,

A smaller Xbox One at $199 with Minecraft 2 or "Minecraft Universe" packed into the system could take off.

Damn I wonder why. ME partnering with MS did very well on the 360. But I guess after Titanfall and seeing things play out they figure it's best to market the game themselves.

ME1 was exclusive to 360. So the core ME fanbase were 360 owners to begin with.

TR wasn't a timed franchise in the past 10 years, and even with MS DLC and marketing deals, the fanbase was always more Sony.

finalflame

You never know what can happen with a revamp, MS could release a smaller , cheaper Xbox One with a better controller that grab the market before PS4 get too far ahead.

Lets be honest the Wii was basically a revamped gamecube with a new controller & it sold 4 times faster,

A smaller Xbox One at $199 with Minecraft 2 or "Minecraft Universe" packed into the system could take off.

console-wars-Q3-2015.003.jpeg

None of what you mentioned is going to happen without a proportionate response from Sony, either anticipated or shortly after.

The Wii was an entirely new console with an entirely new form of input that was a runway success by being there for the casual market at the right time and the right price. This generation's "winner" in sales is already decided.

Both are great consoles, but PS4 will have the larger install base throughout.

Man, if MS got ME as an exclusive...

I'd have some feelings about that.

Well, there comes a time you have to settle down. You can't have just let any and every one load you up, push your buttons and have their way with you. Being a one console game is a sign of maturity. It means you can make a commitment. There's greatness in exclusivity. Embrace the greatness. Give in to the passion

I don't feel like EA would of allowed the new Mass Effect to go exclusive to anyone, it has too much sales potential. I'm honestly surprised MS didn't try to go for the new Mirrors Edge. It's not a huge seller, but it's a feather-in-a-cap for sure.

Speaking of Mirror's Edge, where the hell is my new Dead Space game EA???

Isn't that studio working on a star wars game?

Fat4all

Banned
I don't feel like EA would of allowed the new Mass Effect to go exclusive to anyone, it has too much sales potential. I'm honestly surprised MS didn't try to go for the new Mirrors Edge. It's not a huge seller, but it's a feather-in-a-cap for sure.

Speaking of Mirror's Edge, where the hell is my new Dead Space game EA???

The Wii sold because motion control became a phenomenon that got people into casual gaming for a while. A new and cheaper XB1 SKU would still be an XB1, not a completely different direction for the console.

And with all the hardware in these consoles, $199 is probably the lowest the XB1 and PS4 will go, at the end of the generation.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

What do you mean you wonder why?

Things were WAYYYYY different for the 360/PS3 than they were for the PS4/X1.

360 had a much higher percentage of the base then. While EA and MS clearly have (or had) a cozy relationship, they EA was smart enough to realize that cutting off the next Mass Effect from largest base would seriously hurt the franchise.

Fat4all

Banned
Isn't that studio working on a star wars game?

There hasn't been any confirmation of what exactly they are working on, people are assuming Star Wars. Their last game was Battlefield: Hardline, so I imagine Viscerals next game getting announced sometime before or at next years E3.

EDIT: Actually, I must of missed it, but it looks like it was confirmed to be a star wars game. Mix lightsabers with the body destruction of Dead Space, plz.

N.Domixis

Banned

None of what you mentioned is going to happen without a proportionate response from Sony, either anticipated or shortly after.

The Wii was an entirely new console with an entirely new form of input that was a runway success by being there for the casual market at the right time and the right price. This generation's "winner" in sales is already decided.

That gap is getting out of hand.

onQ123

That new controller also made videos games easily accessible and ubderstandable to just about everyone.

The Wii sold because motion control became a phenomenon that got people into casual gaming for a while. A new and cheaper XB1 SKU would still be an XB1, not a completely different direction for the console.

And with all the hardware in these consoles, $199 is probably the lowest the XB1 and PS4 will go, at the end of the generation.

I'm just saying they could do something right & pick up a fan base that's not caught up on the fact that PS4 is more powerful.

Didn't PSP start off selling faster than NDS before they redesigned the NDS?

Alienfan

Good on PS4! Hard to say how well the Xbox One sold, given that there were a million different bundles; hopefully we get some NPD results soon

I've only read the first 100 or so chapters. How the hell did he go from his power of... using a fishing pole to.... that?
Let's just say shit gets real...REALLY REAL lol.

There will be a basic foundation for his powers beyond the fishing pole though.

Send me a PM if you want to talk about it some more.

Well, there comes a time you have to settle down. You can't have just let any and every one load you up, push your buttons and have their way with you. Being a one console game is a sign of maturity. It means you can make a commitment. There's greatness in exclusivity. Embrace the greatness. Give in to the passion.

Ha! I realized what I did after I posted lol

it was unintentional I swear

Well, there comes a time you have to settle down. You can't have just let any and every one load you up, push your buttons and have their way with you. Being a one console game is a sign of maturity. It means you can make a commitment. There's greatness in exclusivity. Embrace the greatness. Give in to the passion

HAHAHAHA

Ah yes those are the quotes I remembered reading. Funny how the natural evolution of having a downloadable game on Summer of Arcade is a long timed exclusive for the newest major game.

Series establishing itself on Playstation 1 and building the fanbase there as well as PC fans essentially saving the 2013 game from being a financial failure got those two platforms nada.
Yeah that's pretty messed up on CD's part when you factor that into the equation.

I honestly think they've just killed the Tomb Raider reboot's momentum completely w/ that deal and the subsequent performance. It is not going to recoup losses in 2016 by being a year-late port in a busy gaming season of new heavy-hitting releases. Just no way.

Interesting that older gamers preferred Xbox to Playstation. My hypothesis is that older gamers grew up with so many options (Sega, Nintendo, Atari, Playstation) that they might be more inclined to buy something different, whereas a lot of younger generations grew up alongside playstation.

Would be cool to see a more in depth study on this.

Yeah that's pretty messed up on CD's part when you factor that into the equation.

I honestly think they've just killed the Tomb Raider reboot's momentum completely w/ that deal and the subsequent performance. It is not going to recoup losses in 2016 by being a year-late port in a busy gaming season of new heavy-hitting releases. Just no way.
It's really sad. Tomb Raider had a bright future and the Microsoft deal killed it.

I really hope the PS4 version does well, but it has a lot going against it.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Interesting that older gamers preferred Xbox to Playstation. My hypothesis is that older gamers grew up with so many options (Sega, Nintendo, Atari, Playstation) that they might be more inclined to buy something different, whereas a lot of younger generations grew up alongside playstation.

Would be cool to see a more in depth study on this.

I think you are looking at it wrong. The amount of young gamers is larger than other groups and they have shifted to the PS4. Last gen they preferred the 360. It is not brand. Just where the numbers have shifted.

Top Bottom