• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

InfoScout: PS4 Uncharted bundle highest earning product at Best Buy on Black Friday

KoopaTheCasual

Yeah I do get that and if they are at 100% capacity then there's really nothing to be done. At the same time most of the rest of the world has no concept of Black Friday, so I would hope they diverted international stock to the US if possible.
Ehhhh, this statement is growing increasingly inaccurate with each passing year. Black Friday is becoming a global event.

gtj1092

Yeah I do get that and if they are at 100% capacity then there's really nothing to be done. At the same time most of the rest of the world has no concept of Black Friday, so I would hope they diverted international stock to the US if possible.

Why should Americans get priority. Plus we just had a thread about different black friday events around the world.

Boke1879

Yea there were plenty of deals around the world this year on BF. And honestly it should be. If you have the stock might as well decrease the price to increase sales.

Ehhhh, this statement is growing increasingly inaccurate with each passing year. Black Friday is becoming a global event.

Black Friday this year is shit. It has gradually become a normal sales week with the hype of "black friday" marketing. But I guess it makes sense that they want to avoid what it used to be because people had to line up at 2am in the morning to get a shot at something when the store opens at 7am friday morning while risking their life from the stampede.

Doorbusters used to be that, limited supply ridiculous priced items that got people into their store that sold out within an hour. Now? Doorbuster deals are week long deals lol.

sense

Arrogant even.

Sony just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Black Friday (I'm an expert), but supply and demand are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Europe where you can become successful by undershipping and launching late. If you undership over in America, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the American public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase PS4, nor will they purchase any other console. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has signaled the death of the consoles with this move.

Sony, publicly apologize and ship more consoles to America or you can kiss the entire consoles industry goodbye.

i tried :)

Roshin

Sony just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Black Friday (I'm an expert), but supply and demand are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Europe where you can become successful by undershipping and launching late. If you undership over in America, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the American public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase PS4, nor will they purchase any other console. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has signaled the death of the consoles with this move.

Sony, publicly apologize and ship more consoles to America or you can kiss the entire consoles industry goodbye.

i tried :)

Beautiful. :)

Boke1879

Black Friday this year is shit. It has gradually become a normal sales week with the hype of "black friday" marketing. But I guess it makes sense that they want to avoid what it used to be because people had to line up at 2am in the morning to get a shot at something when the store opens at 7am friday morning while risking their life from the stampede.

Doorbusters used to be that, limited supply ridiculous priced items that got people into their store that sold out within an hour. Now? Doorbuster deals are week long deals lol.

To me. That's for the best. With the rise in online shopping. It's makes no sense to have "limited" deals anymore.

Arrogant Sony has returned!

Not arrogant, just complacent. ;)

Black Friday is gaining more and more momentum here in Germany. It started - obviously - with amazon.de and other online retailers, but today you can find Black Friday discounts in most of the shops and malls. At least here in Munich, that is.

black friday was huge here in Norway and Sweden this year. In Sweden I heard that PS4 outsold XB1 by 7 to 1 and here in Norway lots of PS4 bundles are outsold while you still could pretty much buy every XB1 bundles.

black friday was huge here in Norway and Sweden this year. In Sweden I heard that PS4 outsold XB1 by 7 to 1 and here in Norway lots of PS4 bundles are outsold while you still could pretty much buy every XB1 bundles.
I agree with that, in Lillehammer cheap PS4 bundles were nowhere to be found after noon and Xbox sold surprisingly well too.

One was taken on Thursday before the Store opened and the next was taken Friday night. We have quite a few Xbones still at the top stock and today the last of the Uncharted PS4s were put out.
Thanks for clarifying. <3 So does that mean a lot of your Bone SKUs barely sold at all? "Still fully stocked on those SKUs," basically? Abdiel did say both consoles were having trouble moving the higher-priced stock, so that would make sense. Also, were you guys rationing the PS4s? I'm just wondering why "the last of them" weren't put out on Friday.

At first, these results surprised me because I would've guessed most Bone buyers would be those young enough to have grown up knowing nothing or little apart from the 360, so I figured they'd skew younger. But thinking about it a bit more, the 18-35 buyers are likely mostly buying for themselves, while the "Middle-Age Gamers" were instead buying consoles for their 13-20 year-old children; the ones weaned on the 360.

I actually thought about this looking at the pics. I also get what ppl mean that posted about the difference in box size now. The PS4 selling better looks almost like 2:1 just going by box size.
Actually, I'd been wondering about palletization for a while. RetailGAF, I know PS4s are 6x15 — right?? — but do you know how they stack Bones? I'm guessing it depends on whether it includes Kinect. Basically, I'm wondering how much "a pallet of each" actually is, and how much the two companies pay in relative shipping costs. To be clear, I'm mostly concerned with how they come out of the shipping container, rather than how they typically arrive at your store. (It's likely you don't always get a "full" pallet shipped to you.) TIA <3

Do you ever kiss your console?
Nah, just my joystick.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood

qVIFiUD.gif

I don't think it works that way. Why would they sell PS4s with region B or region C blu-ray drives in North America (region A)?

DieH@rd

Banned
It's becoming really apparent that Sony should have shipped more PS4s. There's gotta be a lot of disappointed people going to the store looking for a PS4 but not seeing any. At least some of those people are going to pick up Xboxes because there's no other choice.

US represents ~33% of PS4 userbase [for MS that is closer to ~60%], so Sony is most surely strained to ship enough consoles everywhere. US gamers often think that their country = world, but I am personally glad that Sony is fair towards everyone. Continental EU got fucked with low shipments during first 6 months of PS4 lifecycle, there were also stock problems during last December. I hope this December EU will get far more than last year.

As far as US is concerned, I am of belief that Sony shipped a lot and everything got sold, while MS shipped a lot and market reacted by not purchasing everything.

It seems people are waiting for the definitive edition on PS4 next year. Temped to get the game for my Xbone but will wait for the PS4 edition.

Not exactly. The latest Tomb Raider's sales on XBOX One were almost on par with the ones of its predecessor.

Not providing a $299 Black Friday Bundle together with Tomb Raider was a missed opportunity.

Not exactly. The latest Tomb Raider's sales on XBOX One were almost on par with the ones of its predecessor.

Not providing a $299 Black Friday Bundle together with Tomb Raider was a missed opportunity.

If by par, you mean less then half on a platform basis, then yes, you're right.

bombshell

Uhm, no? The only numbers we have so far are UK first 2 weeks for Xbox One and 360 combined and it has bombed spectacularly (70k total).

On what numbers are you basing the "on par" statement on?

Well, we know that TR sold 63.000 units within the UK, it's predecessor 183.000. But that number accounts for all platforms, to put some context into it. If we asume that 1/3 of the 2013 Tomb Raider was on XBOX, sales are still on par. (okay, optimistic setting...)

Global numbers however are another issue. We know that Tomb Raider 2013 sold one million copies within 48 hours and I am not sure if ROTR sold ~300.000 copies even yet.

Didn't the last Tomb Raider have a slow start and it's sales only picked up after some favorable word of mouth, lower prices, and a new release on the then next gen consoles? RotTR should have had a faster start because it followed a successful game and didn't have a delayed split release between console generations. I suspect that RotTR won't have strong legs like its predecessor and will have sales more like that of a tradition game instead of that of a sleeper hit. If this is true then the sales of RotTR will look worse and worse over time.

The only exception to this would be if they dropped the bottom out on the price of the game.

kadotsu

Banned
Well, we know that TR sold 63.000 units within the UK, it's predecessor 183.000. But that number accounts for all platforms, to put some context into it. If we asume that 1/3 of the 2013 Tomb Raider was on XBOX, sales are still on par.

Global numbers however are another issue. We know that Tomb Raider 2013 sold one million copies within 48 hours and I am not sure if ROTR sold ~300.000 copies even yet.

TR sold 42k first week on XBO.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Well, we know that TR sold 63.000 units within the UK, it's predecessor 183.000. But that number accounts for all platforms, to put some context into it. If we asume that 1/3 of the 2013 Tomb Raider was on XBOX, sales are still on par. (okay, optimistic setting...)

Yoooooooo!!!!

bombshell

63k was the ceiling, for first week number.

We have a revised, correct, first week number: 42k.

Second week drop put this at 70k.

The game is also on 360 with an unknown ratio, but included in the 70k number, so you can't use 1/3 of TR2013 as an Xbox One comparison.

Where did this meme start anyways?
Halo 5 sales. Astronomically high digital sales were the excuse to deal with the steep decline in physical copies.

Okay, okay, I got it. Tomb Raider bombed spectacularrr even compared to XBOX One sales. Still, though, hard to understand why.
I think the sales split of the reboot says it all. The audience isn't there. The added haymaker from Fallout 4 (with help from CoD and Battlefront) certainly did nothing to help either.

Where did this meme start anyways?

HALO 5 UK sales thread.

Your mad if you think digital isn't drastically outselling physical.

I can name one person out of a friendship group of 10 people who bought Halo 5 physically rather than digital. That's 10/90% split in physical/digital in my friendship group. I'd say it's a similar story in a lot of other peoples.

Also:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ssassins-creed-syndicate-launch-by-50-percent

Cover 20%? Your mad.

Okay, okay, I got it. Tomb Raider bombed spectacularrr even compared to XBOX One sales. Still, though, hard to understand why.

Not for everyone, myself included, who predicted it the moment the timed exclussivity was announced, even before every single thing that could have gone wrong for TR, did go wrong.

On the subject of international Black Friday sales, I'm in mid Kent in the UK, and after a weekend of shopping and chatting to a few mates working retail, PS4's looked to have mostly sold out, while the XO hasn't pretty much everywhere.

My local massive Tesco extra for instance, cleared out almost all it's BF deals, but there was a pile of XO's next to the slightly less desirable TV's and tablets. A guy working there said they'd had roughly the same stock of PS4's as XO's originally, but sold out of PS4's by Friday evening.

Quite the contrary.

-Exclusivity( timed) on the console with half the userbase

- launching alongside higher profile titles

- the traditional base on PC/Playstation are likely content to wait for their version to arrive, likely better performing and possibly with DLC included.

Not really. It released right in the middle of CoD, Fallout 4 and Battlefront. It was literally sent to die and the bundle being retailer exclusive didn't help.

Radec

-Fallout 4
-Blops3
-AC:S
-Black Friday
-Some waiting for the PS4/PC Release
-Third Party Xbox Executive

Not sure what's hard to understand unless you're living in an igloo somewhere that miraculously knows the release date of Tomb Raider only.

DigSCCP

I feel bad for SE.
They did everything wrong with RoTR, everything.
Honestly I dont see it doing well on PS4 next year either.

Ray Down

Banned

1. Launched the same day/week as the 80 ton guerrilla that is Fallout 4
2. Released the same month as Battlefront and Blobs 3
3. Bundle exclusive to one location
4. Uncharted 4 got delayed
5. The TR audience is split between three platforms and the majority are on PS4 & PC.
6. Big European franchise
7. Bad marketing/PR (the exclusivity scandal, passion, tv ads, etc)
8. PC and PS4 skus announced early (apparently SE wasn't happy with how the game was marketed by Microsoft.

I feel bad for SE.
They did everything wrong with RoTR, everything.
Honestly I dont see it doing well on PS4 next year either.

I don't. It was a dumb move from the start. Maybe some sympathy for Crystal Dynamics whose work is going largely ignored because their bosses had no faith in their work.

Top Bottom