• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

InfoScout: PS4 Uncharted bundle highest earning product at Best Buy on Black Friday

anecdotal tales from my ass, but as others have said, my BB, my target, and my walmart were all out of ps4's as of yesterday, yet all three stores had x1's including walmart which had close to 3 pallets of x1's.

do you guys think that sony just didnt ship many?

I believe Abdiel stated that Sony shipped a ton of the uncharted bundles. Of course it is likely relative and varies from store to store and district to district

I wonder what would cause such a decline for Target

Loudninja

anymore info scout news?
InfoScout analyzed the baskets of more than 160,000 Black Friday transactions made from midnight through 1:00pm Friday at brick-and-mortar retailers to see how shopper spending shifted compared to last year’s big event.
Walmart, Kohl’s, and Best Buy are the stores capturing a greater overall share of Black Friday dollars, along with a greater proportion of trips and shoppers. Early data shows Target experiencing the largest declines in terms of transactions and dollars.
http://blog.infoscout.co/walmart-kohls-winning-share-among-shoppers-but-basket-spend-decreasing/

Bowler

I believe Abdiel stated that Sony shipped a ton of the uncharted bundles. Of course it is likely relative and varies from store to store and district to district

which very well could be the case, I just could't even find where they had them for sale, like empty endcaps, or empty pallets etc. so I asked at all three stores, all said the same thing, that they were out but could be had online.

furthermore, I wonder if this will effect sales numbers as I feel alot of parents and people will just buy whats in stock

Little billy wants a new console for christmas, mother and father goes to store, "my son wants to play new games"
"well mama and papa we have this shiny new x1 right over here"
" is there any other choices?"
"nope"

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I'm guessing Target's threshold has decreased in response to the consumer confidence levels lost following their credit data leaks.

On Demand

Banned
anecdotal tales from my ass, but as others have said, my BB, my target, and my walmart were all out of ps4's as of yesterday, yet all three stores had x1's including walmart which had close to 3 pallets of x1's.

do you guys think that sony just didnt ship many?

You can look at this 2 ways.

Sony didn't ship alot. MS did.

Sony shipped alot and still sold through more stock than MS.

Is this a Gaf meme or something?
Yes. Based Finaika established it, too bad people can't remember his beastliness:

You are such a beast Finaika. Alright. This had to be done at some point:

neuebitmap12b1j75.png

neuebitmap13lgjhe.png

neuebitmap14ccolk1w.png

neuebitmap151djg1.png

You know, about that Target showing the biggest decline in Black Friday sales they reported. I wouldn't worry too much about Target. I bet they did gangbusters the week before Black Friday.

They had crazy crazy deals with the 20% off toys, 10 % off wishlist, 15% off your registry, and another 15% off your order I found online. The 40% off of pajamas. They had like 20% off kitchen items. Their "deals week" leading up to Black Friday seemed very effective, at least anecdotally. They also had the Buy 2 get 1 free on Board Games, and 3 of those codes stacked with Board Games. I was able to stack ALL of these coupon codes, on ALL of my toy purchases (they all didn't work for electronics, but I bought my games at Best Buy). I know on Black Friday, toys are a huge seller. And the fact that you could stack all these coupons didn't go unnoticed on deals sites like Slick Deals and CAG. That is where I found out about it.
I went to Target several days last week to simply pick up all the crap I ordered online, and my 2 stores seemed very busy!

Since Target takes off the 20% first, then the 15% off whats left, then the 15% of whats left, then 10% off of what is left, I averaged out to about 40% off my total purchases for my kids. Those prices were better than anywhere else on Black Friday for things like the Orbotix Ollie, Sphero Sprk, Mip Robot, etc. I got about $40 off of each of those items, and it was glorious.

People who questioned the bundle haven't been paying attention. Sony has repeatedly mentioned that a shitton of PS4 buyers are those who didn't own a PS3. So not only is the uncharted collection new and great for them, it will also increase buys of Uncharted 4.

It's actually a smart bundle. They aren't desperate to sell consoles so this bundle was more of a strategic move and it seems like it worked.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
People who questioned the bundle haven't been paying attention. Sony has repeatedly mentioned that a shitton of PS4 buyers are those who didn't own a PS3. So not only is the uncharted collection new and great for them, it will also increase buys of Uncharted 4.

It's actually a smart bundle. They aren't desperate to sell consoles so this bundle was more of a strategic move and it seems like it worked.

I think a lot of people also forget how deal hunters think, especially on Black Friday. This bundle looks to them to be a $299 PS4 with three games, even if those three games usually retail for the same as a single one.

Elios83

Mattrick was the face and everyone put the blame on him.
But it's not like Mattrick took all the decisions alone.
Infact the vision they had for Xbox in 2013 was something company wide deeply pushed by the then CEO Steve Ballmer who was obsessed with catching up with Google and Apple. They wanted Xbox to become an all-in-one box to sell their services where games were just a part of it.
Mattrick just executed on that vision, they also did other mistakes like giving Kinect more importance that it deserved based on the early success on 360.
But these decisions are never taken by a single person, just like it was not Kutaragi alone who decided to put Blu Ray in PS3 causing delays and a really high launch price, all the company wanted to use the PS3 as a trojan horse to win the HD format war for them.

oSoLucky

Those pictures are insane.

MS to Best Buy shoppers: "The Xbox One is competitively priced and we have the Greatest Games Lineup™ this holiday. What more do you people want?!".

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/cm-video-games-20151129

Looking at BestBuy.com's Cyber Deals section for video games, the top 7 are what you listed. But why no TR bundle in that list? It's in stock if you search for it. What is MS/BB doing? Yeesh.

I am baffled. Literally every other bundle but TR. Is it an in-store only thing?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yes. Based Finaika established it, too bad people can't remember his beastliness:

Wolverine is a Beast at the end got me, lol.

Mattrick was the face and everyone put the blame on him.
But it's not like Mattrick took all the decisions alone.
Infact the vision they had for Xbox in 2013 was something company wide deeply pushed by the then CEO Steve Ballmer who was obsessed with catching up with Google and Apple. They wanted Xbox to become an all-in-one box to sell their services where games were just a part of it.
Mattrick just executed on that vision, they also did other mistakes like giving Kinect more importance that it deserved based on the early success on 360.
But these decisions are never taken by a single person, just like it was not Kutaragi alone who decided to put Blu Ray in PS3 causing delays and a really high launch price, all the company wanted to use the PS3 as a trojan horse to win the HD format war for them.

And with both, the race was to have the one set top box/service to dominate the living room (MSFT's main and only reason to enter gaming after Sony and MSFT fell through with their short lived WebTV partnership when the PS2 was shifting Sony's focus after the PSOne success), however, they did not account that Apple, Google, etc would all enter that arena as well for TV entertainment. The figure heads do make for some funny memes, however the idolization of some, and blame to others is just silly fan thumping.

Sony realized they needed to get back into the games focus first again, and MSFT jumped their vision WAY too early thinking they had their fan-base locked from the 360 success. Both were served humble pie (PS3/XBox One) when, gasp, gamer's just want to game first man, the other shit is secondary fluff that just complements the systems.

Intrigue

Banned
No, no and no. Microsoft has done fuck all outside of a few English-speaking countries, and that's where most of PS4's lead comes from. Microsoft just goes around the world throwing "HALO!FORZA!GEARS!" at everyone's face as if that's going to sell consoles in every corner on Earth.

You telling us that 15mil sales coming from "tier 2-3" countries?

Main reason they don't go after those markets because they have nothing that appeals to those markets. The wunderbar TV services that works really well in those countries is not that hot.

People who buy consoles are after gaming and gaming wise Xone is just an inferior product.

Zero315

Banned

Anecdotal tales and all, but the one target I went to had lots of people walking out without buying anything, including me. It was such a mess, lines were stretched across the store and moving slower than molasses.

Which was weird because we went to Walmart and Best Buy before that and the lines were longer but moved way faster.

gtj1092

So went to my local Bestbuy today to see what was left.
Lego bundle at entrance next to TVs other side use to have ps4s
[/IMG]

Back by the Xbox section

Other side of the halo stack

Another stack of gears bundles in the open space by customer service use to also be a stack of ps4s near by

Plenty of Wii Us

Only ps4s I could find were used

On Friday I would say X1 and Ps4 had about equal amounts maybe a few more Ps4s due to the SW basic bundle, SE bundle and blops bundles.

Now all bundles are gone. There isn't a ps4 to found not even in the TV section where they also had a stack.

autoduelist

That was just a classic 'scapegoat'. Standard PR during a scandal or crisis is to heap as much blame as possible on one person, then publicly force that person out [fire, forced resign, etc]. Even Mexican Cartels do something similar -- when one person is taken down, they take credit for as many crimes as possible.

Mattrick didn't act in a vacuum.

I'm beginning to the think PS4 may have won BF...I figured October and November would go to Xbox because of Halo and TR. can't wait to see Novembers results now.

Shenmue

Banned
It's becoming really apparent that Sony should have shipped more PS4s. There's gotta be a lot of disappointed people going to the store looking for a PS4 but not seeing any. At least some of those people are going to pick up Xboxes because there's no other choice.

Loudninja

It's becoming really apparent that Sony should have shipped more PS4s. There's gotta be a lot of disappointed people going to the store looking for a PS4 but not seeing any. At least some of those people are going to pick up Xboxes because there's no other choice.
Why do you keep saying this?

It's best to wait for sales to see if they shipped enough .
At the end of the day they have to shipped consoles all over the world .
MS don't have to worry about that as much .

Shenmue

Banned
Why do you keep saying this?

Because at this time of year you should not be having no stock of the most popular item. It would be ideal for supply to match demand.

Imagine people going to that store depicted in the pictures who are looking for PS4s. There's a good chance they'll just pick up an Xbox because there are no PS4s. People certainly aren't going to get the refurbished ones as a gift.

sense

it is easy to say they should have shipped more but at the end of the day they shipped what they thought they would sell and i guess they ended up beating their predictions. it is impossible to know what a customer is going to buy ahead of time lol

MS will have a good November NPD because they are clearly stuffing the channels, like they do every year. Expect a really weak January NPD.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

No other choice? They sold the last PS4 ever made?

"Hey Bill, I went to buy a PS4 to play COD with you, but they didn't have any so I bought an Xbox 3"

"Why didn't you just go home and order one online?"

"I don't know, I thought they were interchangeable anyway..."

Ricky_R

Because at this time of year you should not be having no stock of the most popular item. It would be ideal for supply to match demand.

Ideal is the key word there. Maybe they couldn't meet demand? Maybe their projections were lower?

I can't imagine Sony under supplying knowing there would be higher demand. Unless they wanted to save shipments for the rest of the world.

Shenmue

Banned
Of course they couldn't have known before, but in hindsight it's looking like they should have just flooded the channels. Now if they are at 100% manufacturing capacity and this is literally the maximum they can supply, then they've done the best they could.

Yea. We keep getting reports that Sony shipped the same if not more stock. Of course the stock may vary at certain stores but it seems some users here want to push a narrative of Sony undershipping.

I think a lot of you guys are mistaking the difference between undershipping versus the competition and undershipping versus demand.

I'm solely talking about demand. I don't care how many Xboxes MS shipped.

It's really quite simple. If you have a product that is sold out when there is more demand, then you've underestimated demand.

Elios83

We don't know how many units they have shipped and for how long they were supposed to last before the next shipments come in.
Sony has a pretty lofty sales forecast for the fiscal year, 17.5m , they anticipated big demand, it's just that PS4 at 299$ was a big event although some people here lived in parallel reality where the bundle wouldn't sell because Uncharted Collection wasn't good enough for them.
Also if the pics showed stacks of unsold PS4s people would say that they're not selling.
Basically you just can't win at this game :D
Wait for the official sales reports.

Of course they couldn't have known before, but in hindsight it's looking like they should have just flooded the channels. Now if they are at 100% manufacturing capacity and this is literally the maximum they can supply, then they've done the best they could.

You have to remember, that unlike MS, Sony has to worry about the rest of the world too.

Shenmue

Banned
You have to remember, that unlike MS, Sony has to worry about the rest of the world too.

Yeah I do get that and if they are at 100% capacity then there's really nothing to be done. At the same time most of the rest of the world has no concept of Black Friday, so I would hope they diverted international stock to the US if possible.

There's a good chance they'll just pick up an Xbox because there are no PS4s.
I often hear people say this, but I'd really like to see some numbers on it. Personally I have never gone into a store looking for one product that's a couple hundred bucks, and then bought something else when my choice wasn't there. I suspect frangibility is only common on the low end--e.g. go to a theater first, then pick a movie--and not for items further up the scale. "Dear sir, please give me $300 of whatever electronics you have."

Yes, some individuals may be sick of driving around, actually want both products so will settle, and so on. But I'd think those numbers would be dwarfed by people committed to a shopping list.

Top Bottom