• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Apps | Hello flatness, my old friend

Quick

Banned
Does Facebook actually keep a log of the specifics of their app updates somewhere?

I don't like that they're not detailing what the updates are adding/removing/fixing.

I'll take "bug fixes and stability updates" over "Thank you for using Facebook!...we bring updates to the App Store every 2 weeks."

Vyer

Periscope is out, Twitter's answer to Meerkat. The ability to actually save the streams for later use is a big difference, though I wonder if that doesn't open Twitter up for more issues down the road.

As an aside, having both of these ready to experiment with at launch is one of the reasons I prefer iOS. Obviously new apps aren't going to matter to everyone, but I think playing with this stuff is one of the best things about mobile devices.

dummydecoy

Hey guys, what folder inside my iPhone shall I find remnants of all the apps I've installed and uninstalled overtime?
I reinstalled an app that I uninstalled a couple of months ago and it seemed to remember the settings and info I had, so I want to find it and nuke it using ifunbox.

mrkgoo

Hey guys, what folder inside my iPhone shall I find remnants of all the apps I've installed and uninstalled overtime?
I reinstalled an app that I uninstalled a couple of months ago and it seemed to remember the settings and info I had, so I want to find it and nuke it using ifunbox.

Some apps just use iCloud.

But yes, I think I've experienced that too. Personally, I'm over micromanaging little files that have absolutely no bearing on storage space.

Megasoum

Banned
What's the best and easiest way to stream avi/mkv/etc from my PC to my iPAD?

I checked out Plex but the app is 6$... I'd prefer a free solution.

FerranMG

I've seen that Chrome for iOS has been updated with a nice gesture to refresh / open new tab / close tab, and supposedly support for 1password.
I can't find how to use 1password in it, though.
Any clue?

Ambitious

I've seen that Chrome for iOS has been updated with a nice gesture to refresh / open new tab / close tab, and supposedly support for 1password.
I can't find how to use 1password in it, though.
Any clue?

It's in the share sheet, just like in Safari. The sheet is in the top left corner of the menu. You might have to enable the 1Password item.

McHuj

I really like that refresh method. If they could just add swipe to go back, I would probably switch from safari.

Ambitious

I've grown a bit dissatisfied with the preinstalled Mail app. Which third party alternatives are worth trying?

I've got three accounts: two are Gmail, the third is a standard IMAP account from my university. But I'm not necessarily looking for an app that supports all kinds of email providers. A Gmail-specific app is totally fine; I don't use my university account that often.

So far I've tried the official Gmail app and CloudMagic.

Gmail: The search is obviously great. That's a huge plus. But there's no unified inbox. The accounts are completely separate; I have to switch between them using the menu. That's a huge minus.
All folders and labels are easily reachable by swiping to the right to reveal the sidebar menu. The preinstalled app is really clumsy in comparison.

CloudMagic: It supports Gmail's search, but there's no autocompletion at all. Disappointing. However, there is a unified inbox. There's a globally accessible sidebar menu, just like in Gmail. It's better than Gmail's, actually.

Of those two, I prefer CloudMagic, but it's not perfect. What else is out there?
I haven't yet tried Mailbox. It's free, so I'm gonna do so tomorrow. Boxer looks interesting too.

FerranMG

I use Mailbox and I love it. I find it terribly useful to be able to set reminders for my mails, so that I receive the notification when I think I will be able to deal with it.
I schedule amazon delivery e-mails a day after the package was supposed to be delivered, to make sure I don't forget about it.
I schedule not-work-related e-mails for the weekend, when I know I'll have time to go through them.
And so on.

I tried Boxer too. It seemed a nice app, and I might have tried to use it, but it lacked this critical feature I love from Mailbox.

Ambitious

I use Mailbox and I love it. I find it terribly useful to be able to set reminders for my mails, so that I receive the notification when I think I will be able to deal with it.
I schedule amazon delivery e-mails a day after the package was supposed to be delivered, to make sure I don't forget about it.
I schedule not-work-related e-mails for the weekend, when I know I'll have time to go through them.
And so on.

I tried Boxer too. It seemed a nice app, and I might have tried to use it, but it lacked this critical feature I love from Mailbox.

Mailbox:
It looks nice. Nowadays, a lot of third party email clients seem to have features to defer emails. When there's something I can't act on right now, I usually just leave it in the inbox. And if it's about something far in the future, I archive the mail and add an item to my Todo list. So, maybe I should give this deferring/re-scheduling workflow a try.

There's unified inbox, and of course it's possible to display the inboxes of all accounts separately as well. That's fine. But all other folders (Sent, Archive, Trash are unified-only. That's no dealbreaker, but nonetheless a bit annoying. Speaking of folders: There doesn't seem to be any kind of support for custom folders or labels.
There's support for Gmail-style search, or at least the few queries I tried worked.

Also, the app keeps bugging me about logging into my Dropbox account so it can sync my settings. The Mac app actually doesn't work without logging into Dropbox at all.

So.. yeah. That's not what I'm looking for either. Until I find something else, I'm sticking with CloudMagic.
In the meantime, I have deleted the official Gmail app. At least for me, the only thing that stands out is the search. Everything else is inferior to CloudMagic.

Ambitious

Mailbox:
It looks nice. Nowadays, a lot of third party email clients seem to have features to defer emails. When there's something I can't act on right now, I usually just leave it in the inbox. And if it's about something far in the future, I archive the mail and add an item to my Todo list. So, maybe I should give this deferring/re-scheduling workflow a try.

There's unified inbox, and of course it's possible to display the inboxes of all accounts separately as well. That's fine. But all other folders (Sent, Archive, Trash are unified-only. That's no dealbreaker, but nonetheless a bit annoying. Speaking of folders: There doesn't seem to be any kind of support for custom folders or labels.
There's support for Gmail-style search, or at least the few queries I tried worked.

Also, the app keeps bugging me about logging into my Dropbox account so it can sync my settings. The Mac app actually doesn't work without logging into Dropbox at all.

So.. yeah. That's not what I'm looking for either. Until I find something else, I'm sticking with CloudMagic.
In the meantime, I have deleted the official Gmail app. At least for me, the only thing that stands out is the search. Everything else is inferior to CloudMagic.

One minor nuisance: When you tap on a message, all previous messages of its conversation are collapsed, just like in Gmail. And you can tap on them to unfold them, just like in Gmail. But tapping again doesn't collapse them, but show the list of recipients instead. To collapse an email, you have to tap on the "..." menu button next to the email header and choose Collapse. That's a bit cumbersome.

And once again, I tried tried to use the Gmail app, but realized it's not possible to return to the inbox from a conversation by swiping from the left side of the screen. Come the fuck on, that's a standard iOS feature.
Swiping horizontally navigates between message threads instead. That's cool, but why not support both this and the back swipe gesture?

FerranMG

One minor nuisance: When you tap on a message, all previous messages of its conversation are collapsed, just like in Gmail. And you can tap on them to unfold them, just like in Gmail. But tapping again doesn't collapse them, but show the list of recipients instead. To collapse an email, you have to tap on the "..." menu button next to the email header and choose Collapse. That's a bit cumbersome.

And once again, I tried tried to use the Gmail app, but realized it's not possible to return to the inbox from a conversation by swiping from the left side of the screen. Come the fuck on, that's a standard iOS feature.
Swiping horizontally navigates between message threads instead. That's cool, but why not support both this and the back swipe gesture?

Yeah, it sucks that they'd rather stick with the Android workflow instead of using the general iOS ones.
It's the same with most (all?) Google apps. I find it particularly annoying in Chrome.

cjp

I haven't gotten the update pushed on my end, but it looks good. I don't have a lot of complaints over the current/old design though.

Hmm. I thought it would have landed with the store update on Thursday. Guess not!

Ambitious

Yeah, it sucks that they'd rather stick with the Android workflow instead of using the general iOS ones.
It's the same with most (all?) Google apps. I find it particularly annoying in Chrome.

Many big companies seem to love shoving their custom UI style and design language down everyone's throat, completely disregarding established platform-specific standards and design patterns, instead of smartly integrating their UI with the target platform's UI standards. Arrogant fucks.

That said, fuck every single iOS app which uses custom scrolling speed and momentum.

Ninja Dom

Now I'm fully aware that the iPhone 5S, 6 & 6 Plus can play back 60fps video. They've both got slow mo and the 6 series has 60fps video capture.

It's just a shame I've not seen any YouTube app give the option of 60fps playback. And today I've discovered an embedded video on a webpage that plays at 60fps perfectly on the correct iOS device if you select 60fps on the video.

How comes we can't get YouTube apps that provide us that 60fps playback option?

Video on this page. Select 1080/60.

http://www.lmnola.com/2015/04/21/simon-pegg-i-have-the-apple-watch-let-me-tell-you-the-truth/

cjp

Now I'm fully aware that the iPhone 5S, 6 & 6 Plus can play back 60fps video. They've both got slow mo and the 6 series has 60fps video capture.

It's just a shame I've not seen any YouTube app give the option of 60fps playback. And today I've discovered an embedded video on a webpage that plays at 60fps perfectly on the correct iOS device if you select 60fps on the video.

How comes we can't get YouTube apps that provide us that 60fps playback option?

Video on this page. Select 1080/60.

http://www.lmnola.com/2015/04/21/simon-pegg-i-have-the-apple-watch-let-me-tell-you-the-truth/

I've got my fingers crossed that 60fps support will come with the official YouTube app redesign.

Quick

Banned
New YouTube update rolled out. Not the new UI though.

First thing I did notice was the change in font type to Roboto, like they did with YouTube's web version.

Spotify's update added 1Password support, too.

Ambitious

Apple Rejects 'Breaking' App Due to One Small Mention of Android in a Screenshot

breaking-app.jpg

Quick

Banned
Doesn't seem like such a big gamechanger to me, to be honest. The interface looks good with how you have different folders at a glance (as seen in the picture). Swiping through different signatures is pretty neat, as well as convenient with Apple Watch integration.

FerranMG

A new challenger approaches:

sparkrjjkj.png

Spark by Readdle. Apart from a "Coming Soon" banner, there's no information on their website yet, and the MacRumors article about the app has been taken down for some reason, but here's the ad on Vimeo. It's going to be free, so I'm gonna check it out. Apparently, it should appear on the App Store soon.

Doesn't look bad. The UI seems nice and the widgets could be useful. Although the make it or break it feature for me will be how the snooze alerts are implemented. I won't use an e-mail app that is not at least equal or better than Mailbox in this aspect.

Ambitious

Doesn't seem like such a big gamechanger to me, to be honest. The interface looks good with how you have different folders at a glance (as seen in the picture). Swiping through different signatures is pretty neat, as well as convenient with Apple Watch integration.

Doesn't look bad. The UI seems nice and the widgets could be useful. Although the make it or break it feature for me will be how the snooze alerts are implemented. I won't use an e-mail app that is not at least equal or better than Mailbox in this aspect.

I don't have time to read it right now, but Federico Viticci just posted a detailed review on MacStories.

How can I disable preview messages for iMessage and WhatsApp when the phone is locked, but still be able to see the preview whilst the phone is unlocked?

Ambitious

As Tapbots recently released Tweetbot 2 for Mac, I decided to give the iOS app another try. I had bought it a few months ago, but went with Twitterrific instead.
Right now, I don't use any Twitter apps on my Mac. The way it looks, the Mac version of Twitterrific will never be updated again. So the idea was to switch to TB on both platforms if I liked the iOS version.

The app's kinda disappointing, just as it was when I bought it back then. Where do I start?

First, the navigation bar is on the bottom, and it's permanent. I've gotten used to Safari's disappearing navigation bar, so it's a bit baffling they didn't include that. Twitterrific, on the other hand, has its navigation bar on the top of the screen. There is no bottom bar. More screen space.
The only advantage of TB in that regard is that there's room for five items, while Twitterrific has only three.

Second, it's really slow. I did a few comparisons with Twitterrific: When launching the app, Twitterrific updates the timeline near instantly, while TB takes way longer. There's also annoying lag in some parts of the UI, especially the settings: When I tap any of the settings items (Display, Quote Format, ...) there's frequently a delay of about a second until it navigates to that setting.
It's not like I change my settings every day, but still, it's weird.

Speaking of weirdness, I also dislike the animations when opening a conversation:
In Twitterrific, you drag a tweet slightly to the left. When you let go, the tweet slides back into position while simultaneously, a new page with the conversation/replies slides in from below. That's it. Swipe, and the conversation view slides in.
In Tweebot, you also drag a tweet to the left. But instead of one animation like in Twitterrific, there are up to four consecutive animations: First, the tweet fully slides to the left. Second, the screen moves to the right to the conversation view. Third, a small bar indicating replies to the tweet appears on the top of the screen. Fourth, if the tweet is itself a reply, the previous tweets slide in from below. That whole process can take up to three seconds, while Twitterrific, again, shows the replies near instantly (~0.5sec). It's just weird.

Also, I just realized that the top/bottom bars of Tweetbot are not translucent. I think I have to use the word "weird" again. Why would they omit that? It's basically standard in iOS now.
In some ways, the app feels old. Like it was just (sloppily) repainted for iOS 7. Speaking of which, another example is the menu you see when tapping the gear icon of a tweet: It seriously looks like it's taken straight out of iOS 6. Just plain ugly.

There's also some good stuff. User profiles in Tweetbot are gorgeous. Muffling is way superior compared to Twitterrific. Viewing images is more convenient than in Twitterrific. I prefer its app icon.

That's all I can think of right now. It's just disappointing, and I don't know where to go from here. The Mac app looks really great, but of course I want to be able to sync all my data with a corresponding iOS app.
I guess I can only wait for a major update for the iOS app. For the time being, I'm gonna stick with Twitterrific.

edit: Regarding translucency: There's translucency in their ad. There's translucency in the screenshots on the AppShopper page. There's no translucency in the screenshots in the App Store. Huh.

As Tapbots recently released Tweetbot 2 for Mac, I decided to give the iOS app another try. I had bought it a few months ago, but went with Twitterrific instead.
Right now, I don't use any Twitter apps on my Mac. The way it looks, the Mac version of Twitterrific will never be updated again. So the idea was to switch to TB on both platforms if I liked the iOS version.

The app's kinda disappointing, just as it was when I bought it back then. Where do I start?

First, the navigation bar is on the bottom, and it's permanent. I've gotten used to Safari's disappearing navigation bar, so it's a bit baffling they didn't include that. Twitterrific, on the other hand, has its navigation bar on the top of the screen. There is no bottom bar. More screen space.
The only advantage of TB in that regard is that there's room for five items, while Twitterrific has only three.

Second, it's really slow. I did a few comparisons with Twitterrific: When launching the app, Twitterrific updates the timeline near instantly, while TB takes way longer. There's also annoying lag in some parts of the UI, especially the settings: When I tap any of the settings items (Display, Quote Format, ...) there's frequently a delay of about a second until it navigates to that setting.
It's not like I change my settings every day, but still, it's weird.

Speaking of weirdness, I also dislike the animations when opening a conversation:
In Twitterrific, you drag a tweet slightly to the left. When you let go, the tweet slides back into position while simultaneously, a new page with the conversation/replies slides in from below. That's it. Swipe, and the conversation view slides in.
In Tweebot, you also drag a tweet to the left. But instead of one animation like in Twitterrific, there are up to four consecutive animations: First, the tweet fully slides to the left. Second, the screen moves to the right to the conversation view. Third, a small bar indicating replies to the tweet appears on the top of the screen. Fourth, if the tweet is itself a reply, the previous tweets slide in from below. That whole process can take up to three seconds, while Twitterrific, again, shows the replies near instantly (~0.5sec). It's just weird.

Also, I just realized that the top/bottom bars of Tweetbot are not translucent. I think I have to use the word "weird" again. Why would they omit that? It's basically standard in iOS now.
In some ways, the app feels old. Like it was just (sloppily) repainted for iOS 7. Speaking of which, another example is the menu you see when tapping the gear icon of a tweet: It seriously looks like it's taken straight out of iOS 6. Just plain ugly.

There's also some good stuff. User profiles in Tweetbot are gorgeous. Muffling is way superior compared to Twitterrific. Viewing images is more convenient than in Twitterrific. I prefer its app icon.

That's all I can think of right now. It's just disappointing, and I don't know where to go from here. The Mac app looks really great, but of course I want to be able to sync all my data with a corresponding iOS app.
I guess I can only wait for a major update for the iOS app. For the time being, I'm gonna stick with Twitterrific.

edit: Regarding translucency: There's translucency in their ad. There's translucency in the screenshots on the AppShopper page. There's no translucency in the screenshots in the App Store. Huh.

Weird. I haven't experienced basically any of those issues and I've owned Tweetbot on every platform day 1. Do you have tweet streaming and background refresh on? When I open Tweetbot, my tweets are already updated by the time the app is opened. Even after opening the app in the morning when I wake up, all 800 or so tweets that I've missed while sleeping are right there waiting for me.

Also I haven't noticed any weirdness with swipe left or right animations. Whenever I do swipe left or right, all of the actions are completed in .5 seconds or less.

Obviously everyone's experience is different, and I'm also on an iPhone 6 Plus so I'm sure that helps, but personally I haven't found a 3rd party Twitter app that is close to Tweetbot, but everyone has a different preference.

Ambitious

Weird. I haven't experienced basically any of those issues and I've owned Tweetbot on every platform day 1. Do you have tweet streaming and background refresh on? When I open Tweetbot, my tweets are already updated by the time the app is opened. Even after opening the app in the morning when I wake up, all 800 or so tweets that I've missed while sleeping are right there waiting for me.

Also I haven't noticed any weirdness with swipe left or right animations. Whenever I do swipe left or right, all of the actions are completed in .5 seconds or less.

Obviously everyone's experience is different, and I'm also on an iPhone 6 Plus so I'm sure that helps, but personally I haven't found a 3rd party Twitter app that is close to Tweetbot, but everyone has a different preference.

Huh. Weird indeed.
Yes, streaming and background refresh are both on. I haven't used my phone in the last hour, so I just tried it again: When I launched Twitterrific, it had already loaded all new tweets. Tweetbot had not; I had to wait for about 1.5 seconds until they appeared.

Huh. Weird indeed.
Yes, streaming and background refresh are both on. I haven't used my phone in the last hour, so I just tried it again: When I launched Twitterrific, it had already loaded all new tweets. Tweetbot had not; I had to wait for about 1.5 seconds until they appeared.

If you are getting a better experience with Twitterific on iOS and Tweetbot on OS X you could continue to use both and use Tweetmarker to sync your timeline between the two. I think iCloud syncing works a bit better, but Tweetmarker at least gives you the option to mix and match clients.

FerranMG

What apps are you using to edit pictures?

I love Instagram filters, but I refuse to use Instagram, as it crops the image.
I haven't found any other app that is as easy to use, with such good filters, and that doesn't edit the original image size or quality.

Ambitious

I'm seriously pissed at the state of Wikipanion.

In terms of functionality, it's pretty much perfect for me. All features I need are easily accessible, like switching languages, using the table of contents of an article, or browsing an article's categories. And being able to browse (and bookmark, of course) any wiki instead of just Wikipedia is a real killer feature for me.

But it's basically abandonware now.

The last noteworthy update was 1.8 in September 2013. It was just an iOS 7 facelift. No redesign or anything, just the iOS 7 look for the same old app. Since then, they added iCloud syncing (but only for saved articles) and support for MIDI and HTTPS. That's literally all changes since 2013. Apart from bug fixes, of course.

It's basically still an iOS 6 app, and this is seriously pissing me off. Hell, their website is full of iOS 6 screenshots. And the App Store links are broken. Great job. Shows how much they care.

Megasoum

Banned
Hey guys, is there a way for the iOS Photo/Camera app to not put all the pictures in random folders on the phone? I'm so tired to have to go through all the folders everytime I want to find a picture on my phone.

Maybe by using a 3rd party phot app instead? If that's the case then which one should I pick?

Thanks!

Hey guys, is there a way for the iOS Photo/Camera app to not put all the pictures in random folders on the phone? I'm so tired to have to go through all the folders everytime I want to find a picture on my phone.

Maybe by using a 3rd party phot app instead? If that's the case then which one should I pick?

Thanks!

They should just all go into the 'all photos' album. I don't think there is even a way to change where the iPhone puts the photos by default so I'm not sure how or why they are going into random folders for you.

Quick

Banned

Thanks!

Dropbox has an auto-upload feature that puts all your photos into one folder.

Top Bottom