• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Apps | Hello flatness, my old friend

Li Kao

Err please excuse me if the question is really basic but what are my options if I find max volume on my ipad to be too small ?
I heard about jailbroken apps, which one ?
Are there really no other way than that ? No official app ?

Ambitious

img_1838y4s4z.jpg

This is a great choice of colors.

bildschirmfoto2015-08ncutb.png

Ambitious

Cross-posting from the iOS 9 thread:

New Tweetbot coming for iPad. I'm hoping it supports Slide Over.

CPD5o6aUwAA9gcJ.jpg

About time. It's just a shame that slide-over apps only work on the right edge of the screen. I would have loved to imitate my Mac's window arrangement on the iPad, which is Tweetbot on the left side and Safari filling the rest of the screen.

Mafro

The new Twitter update claims you can reply to mentions via "push notifications quick reply". I assumed that meant you could just reply by pulling down on the notification like when you get a text, but it just takes you into the reply screen on the app. Am I missing something, or is that quick reply feature still restricted to the Messages app and nothing else?

The new Twitter update claims you can reply to mentions via "push notifications quick reply". I assumed that meant you could just reply by pulling down on the notification like when you get a text, but it just takes you into the reply screen on the app. Am I missing something, or is that quick reply feature still restricted to the Messages app and nothing else?

You should be able to quick reply from Twitter just like iMessage now. They opened up the quick reply API for devs in iOS 9.

Was about to post the same thing.

The wording on the tweet makes it sound like Tweetbot 4 is a single app made for both iPhone and iPad. Was this confirmed at all?

I don't think it's been confirmed, but I feel like they've alluded to that being the case.

Can't wait for this and Overcast 2.0 and then I'll be all set (although I want to see more my my apps update to 3D Touch ASAP).

Blackhead

Redarse
For content blocking, cookies, and autofill support, yes.

? Safari browser has all those and you open more tabs in the background etc. I mean why care about a Safari view controller when you can easily 3DTouch pop straight into 'real' Safari browser

FerranMG

The wording makes me think this will be a new app, and will have the usual 5€ price. :(

? Safari browser has all those and you open more tabs in the background etc. I mean why care about a Safari view controller when you can easily 3DTouch pop straight into 'real' Safari browser

Lots of people are not on devices that support 3D Touch. E.g., there's no iPad device that supports it. Safari View Controllers will be godsend in Tweetbot.

Blackhead

Redarse
Lots of people are not on devices that support 3D Touch. E.g., there's no iPad device that supports it. Safari View Controllers will be godsend in Tweetbot.

Agreed, i don't have a 3D Touch device yet. But we know Giga does (he's posted about ordering one repeatedly) so I was asking if still worthwhile for him.

Gaaraz

Is there anything like Shazam but works offline? I don't have data so Shazam is pretty worthless to me right now :( Thanks.

giga

Well, I'm not sure if tweetbot will implement peek support for links. But even if they do, I'd prefer a built in browser so I wouldn't have these random tabs left open in Safari.

Blackhead

Redarse
Well, I'm not sure if tweetbot will implement peek support for links. But even if they do, I'd prefer a built in browser so I wouldn't have these random tabs left open in Safari.

true that's a issue, especially with no 'close all tabs' button in Safari

Does 3D Touch peek and pop support opening links in an app using SafariViewController? Like could you peek a link in the Tweetbot decide to pop it and have it open in a SafariViewController browser window within the app?

I have a 6s+, but don't have any apps that I can test it in that's why I'm asking.

Mafro

Am I missing something or has the latest Facebook app update completely removed the ability to sort the news feed by the most recent posts?

Quick

Banned
Am I missing something or has the latest Facebook app update completely removed the ability to sort the news feed by the most recent posts?

Yeah, I don't see it on the iPhone app.

They also got rid of that new sorting option they had for when you update your status.

Mafro

It wasn't there eventually but just checked and the option is back, no idea why it took two days for it to reappear.

I've kinda started using that Paper app from Facebook more regularly anyway. It filters out all the annoying memes and stuff that people share.

Number45

It's not going to fool anyone sensible, but a word of warning that the first (and only) hit when searching "tweetbot"... isn't Tweetbot. Not up yet then. >_<

FerranMG

It might be better than we imagined.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/10/01/tweetbot-4/

Also special $4.99 price, will jump to $9.99 at some point.

Came here to post this.

I checked and the last versions (Tweetbot 3 for iPhone and Tweetbot 2 for iPad) were released at 3€.
So the 5€ price tag maybe is not that bad considering it's a universal release.

However, this is the fourth time I pay for Tweetbot. It sure is an awesome app, but I feel a bit conflicted about it. :/

Mairu

Came here to post this.

I checked and the last versions (Tweetbot 3 for iPhone and Tweetbot 2 for iPad) were released at 3€.
So the 5€ price tag maybe is not that bad considering it's a universal release.

However, this is the fourth time I pay for Tweetbot. It sure is an awesome app, but I feel a bit conflicted about it. :/

It's probably my most used app on the iPhone. I don't mind paying more for it.

Quick

Banned
I like the revamped profile view. More in line with the official Twitter app, displaying recent tweets and media. And the Follow/Unfollow button is in plain sight. I don't like the Settings button on the left of the profile picture though, especially since it's only giving you a link to Favstar.

With the way I use the app, I can't tell at all what the difference is on my iPhone. Except side-by-side, Tweetbot 4 spaces out tweets more than 3 does. Other than that, I wouldn't be able to tell them apart at all.

On the iPad it looks a hell of a lot better than Tweetbot 2 did and I'm glad to finally retire that one. I still can't really see what took them so long with this one, but it was only 5 bucks and it's finally here.

JDeluis

With the way I use the app, I can't tell at all what the difference is on my iPhone. Except side-by-side, Tweetbot 4 spaces out tweets more than 3 does. Other than that, I wouldn't be able to tell them apart at all.

On the iPad it looks a hell of a lot better than Tweetbot 2 did and I'm glad to finally retire that one. I still can't really see what took them so long with this one, but it was only 5 bucks and it's finally here.

That's why I'm reluctant to purchase it. I mainly use tweetbot on my 6 Plus and don't see any new big features for iphones. Don't really care about lanscape view. Only feature I'm interested is safari extension support, but I've gotten around that on tweetbot 3 by just having ot open links through safari.

As for my iPad 3, I barely used it on that and I still have it on ios 6 so I wouldn't be able to use tweetbot 4.

Mafro

The activity feed in Tweetbot was what the app was sorely missing for me. I've switch back to using it nor from the official app thanks to that. And the fact there was to many adds in the official app too and none in this.

FerranMG

I found this bit interesting from 9to5Mac's piece on Tweetbot 4:

After the price returns to $10, an App Store bundle containing both Tweetbot 3 and Tweetbot 4 will be made available. While it won&#8217;t appeal to most people, users who already own Tweetbot 3 can use the &#8220;complete my bundle&#8221; option to get the remaining apps (in this case, Tweetbot 4) by paying only the price of the bundle minus the price of Tweetbot 3. The bundle will be priced at $10 so that this comes out to $4.99, meaning users with Tweetbot 3 will always have the option of upgrading for half of the regular price.

I found this bit interesting from 9to5Mac's piece on Tweetbot 4:

That's a clever way to tackle it.

I don't know if I feel ten bucks for a Twitter app is reasonable or not, but I'm not a power user, and ten dollars is still in that realm where I would struggle to care what it's being spent for. Still, there are a lot of (vocal) people who seem to care a great deal when things hit the 3 or 4 dollar mark, so I wonder how this price point will fly when it comes into place.

Number45

That's a clever way to tackle it.

I don't know if I feel ten bucks for a Twitter app is reasonable or not, but I'm not a power user, and ten dollars is still in that realm where I would struggle to care what it's being spent for. Still, there are a lot of (vocal) people who seem to care a great deal when things hit the 3 or 4 dollar mark, so I wonder how this price point will fly when it comes into place.
It's not the first time they use it, and they usually ask for it again at upgrade time and it's obviously doing OK for them. So I don't think there will be much fuss.

It'll be interesting to see if the OS X app drops at £13.99 again! D:

Overcast 2 is out:

http://www.marco.org/2015/10/09/overcast2

All features are now free:

If you can pay, I’m trying to make up the revenue difference by offering a simple $1 monthly patronage. It’s completely optional, it doesn’t get you any additional features, and it doesn’t even auto-renew — it’s just a direct way to support Overcast’s ongoing development and hosting without having to make the app terrible for 80% of its users.

Top Bottom