• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Apps | Hello flatness, my old friend

Ninja Dom

Gonna ask here but how the FUCK does Facebook know who to recommend in their "Do You Know" emails???

I'm not a Facebook user although I have an account and the app on my iOS devices. I NEVER post anything and I rarely even open the app, maybe once a month I look at it.

I have WhatsApp on my iPhone, I don't use it much.

Facebook is not linked to my contacts in iOS, not linked to my calendar or any other similar feature.

The "Do You Know" emails from Facebook already go automatically into my Junk/Spam but today I decided to have a look and the recommendations have past friends, acquaintances, even past flings I've had. Some people that I have only communicated via WhatsApp or SMS.

I can understand the recommendations of friends of friends I already have in my Facebook but I can't figure out how it recommends the others. I mean this month it even recommended a girl I went on 3 dates with over 6 years ago and haven't communicated with since!! Deleted her phone number back then and we only communicated by SMS.

PS: I use Gmail as my primary email account...

Ambitious

Gonna ask here but how the FUCK does Facebook know who to recommend in their "Do You Know" emails???

I'm not a Facebook user although I have an account and the app on my iOS devices. I NEVER post anything and I rarely even open the app, maybe once a month I look at it.

I have WhatsApp on my iPhone, I don't use it much.

Facebook is not linked to my contacts in iOS, not linked to my calendar or any other similar feature.

The "Do You Know" emails from Facebook already go automatically into my Junk/Spam but today I decided to have a look and the recommendations have past friends, acquaintances, even past flings I've had. Some people that I have only communicated via WhatsApp or SMS.

I can understand the recommendations of friends of friends I already have in my Facebook but I can't figure out how it recommends the others. I mean this month it even recommended a girl I went on 3 dates with over 6 years ago and haven't communicated with since!! Deleted her phone number back then and we only communicated by SMS.

PS: I use Gmail as my primary email account...

Well, it's not just about the data you personally give them, but also about the data other people have about you. I assume you're using your Gmail address to sign in to Facebook? Everyone who has your email address might potentially have shared their phone/email contacts with Facebook. They can use that information to build a friend network for you.

Regarding this one girl, I'm not sure. If she shared her contacts with Facebook, she might still have had your phone number by the time she did so. Did you enter your phone number to your Facebook account? Probably not. But it doesn't matter. What if you have a friend who gave Facebook access to their contacts who has both your number and your email address associated with your entry in their contact list? Then we have the connection we're looking for. Ninja Dom has email X. Someone knows a person with email X and phone number Y. Conclusion: Ninja Dom has phone number Y. Girl from back then knows a person with phone number Y. Conclusion: Girl from back then knows Ninja Dom.

That's what they call a "shadow profile". It's profile data not willingly shared by you, but obtained from other users and secretly associated with your profile.

Ninja Dom

Ambitious, nice post. That all makes sense when you consider that it's also taking HER data too and using algorithms to make a match. Shadow Profile, Huh!

I don't know if I like all of this. What if I was to change and use my iCloud email as my primary email account? Do you reckon I'd see a lot less of this, based on what Apple say concerning privacy?

Quick

Banned
Ambitious, nice post. That all makes sense when you consider that it's also taking HER data too and using algorithms to make a match. Shadow Profile, Huh!

I don't know if I like all of this. What if I was to change and use my iCloud email as my primary email account? Do you reckon I'd see a lot less of this, based on what Apple say concerning privacy?

At this point, it's really tough to escape Facebook's collecting of information, even if you switched emails. Apple has no say in what Facebook does.

Every Like and search you make will be something Facebook will log to "better' tailor results for you. Anything you do will be something Facebook keeps an eye on.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Well here's an interesting FaceBook anecdote.

The other day a girl's FB profile showed up in "People you might know". I know this girl. BUT, there's a few catches. This profile has only one friend and it's not even mutual. There's no posts from it and there's no picture. (She has like 3 profiles that I know of. I don't know why. And yes I know her in person and no I'm not friends with her on FaceBook yet she uses it all the time to watch stupid videos.) There's absolutely no link back to her at all. She doesn't even have an email address. And this account doesn't have any data or information in it linking it to her anyway. Yet somehow it showed up in my list. At least I assume it's her. It has her name. Now here's the thing, a few months ago I posted about her and used her name. At the time I linked to her other two FB accounts. Could FB somehow have recognized that name and suggested it? How would it know it is her and not one of the hundreds of other people with the same name? Especially if she didn't even put in her information.

So weird.

Ambitious

Wikipanion updates of the last two years.

1.9.3 (2015-10-01):
- Fixes an issue hiding the queue when using slide over and split view on iOS 9

1.9.2 (2015-09-22):
Wasn't able to find the changelog for this version.

1.9.1 (2015-09-19):
- Fixes a crash saving pages
- iOS 9

1.9 (2015-09-15):
- iOS 9
- Bug fixes

1.8.95 (2015-08-27):
- iOS7 crash fix
- Bug fixes

1.8.94 (2015-08-19):
- Bug fixes

1.8.90 (2015-07-07):
- Improved universal access
- Citation display fixes
- Bug fixes

1.8.80 (2015-02-12):
- Bug fixes

1.8.7c (2014-10-29):
- iOS 8
- iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus support
- Bug fixes

1.8.7 (2014-10-06):
- iOS 8
- iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus support
- Bug fixes

1.8.6 (2014-08-23):
- iOS 8 support
- Fixed page rendering speed regression
- SSL improvements
- Bug Fixes

1.8.5.5 (2014-08-20):
- iOS 8 compatibility
- Bug fixes

1.8.5.4 (2014-04-25):
- Fixes a crash saving pages from the bookmarks view

1.8.5.3.1 (2014-03-08):
- Bug fixes
- MIDI File Playback

1.8.5.3 (2014-02-20):
- Setting to enable Wikipedia use over SSL
- MIDI file playback
- Bug fixes

1.8.5.2 (2014-01-14):
- Bug fixes

1.8.5.1 (2013-12-12):
- iCloud Syncing on iOS 7
- Fixes a bug deleting certain history items
- Bug fixes

1.8.5 (2013-12-03):
- iCloud Syncing on iOS 7
- Bug Fixes

For god's sake, if you're not willing or able to properly support your app, sell it to someone who is. Even their website is still full of iOS 6 screenshots from an iPhone 4.
(I'm talking about actual new features here instead of just bug fixes.)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is there any way to copy across stored data from an iPad app to an iPhone app? I just bought a 6s+ and I'd like to transfer my downloaded pocketcast podcasts (some of which aren't downloadable as they were live only for a short time). Is that doable?

Quick

Banned
Is there any way to copy across stored data from an iPad app to an iPhone app? I just bought a 6s+ and I'd like to transfer my downloaded pocketcast podcasts (some of which aren't downloadable as they were live only for a short time). Is that doable?

Does Pocketcast have iCloud support?

Depends on if it uses iCloud for syncing between devices, too.

dLMN8R

I'm looking for a good Stocks app for iOS. My main requirement is a much more condensed "at a glance" widget compared to the default Stocks app. Meaning, I want more info in a smaller space :)

If they can fit mini trend lines in there, even better

I saw some which even integrate with brokers like Fidelity, but most which do cost money (upwards of $15 in-app purchase). I'm willing to spend money, but I just want to get some great recommendations before I do.

Number45

Tweetbot users, is there an easy way of getting to an Instagram page that's in my timeline? All it does is open the image where I'd prefer it to open in a browser (as an option ideally) so that I can follow right there.

At the moment I either have to make a note of the user name (if the link isn't truncated) or open Instagram separately and search for them.

Mafro

Tweetbot users, is there an easy way of getting to an Instagram page that's in my timeline? All it does is open the image where I'd prefer it to open in a browser (as an option ideally) so that I can follow right there.

At the moment I either have to make a note of the user name (if the link isn't truncated) or open Instagram separately and search for them.
Long press on the link or the actual photo and you'll have the option to open it in Safari.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Has it changed how it looks like when you are blocked on Whatsapp?
It looks like it is when you want to write any person who has no profilpicture, but here I only got one gray checkmark on my last sended message.... There should be lesser options when I press on the name, right?

Ambitious

I would appreciate some recommendations for a world clock app. My problem with the few I've tested so far is that all of them allow me to enter only specific cities. But I want to be able to define my own time zones.

Use case example:
Video game company X announces reveal of new game on date Y at 11 AM PDT. I'm looking for an app that helps me to quickly figure out when the reveal starts in my local time, without having to figure out a city using that time zone first. I just want to open an app, enter a date/time, and see it immediately converted to my local time.

Currently, I usually use Wolfram Alpha:

woqmyef.png

But that's on the desktop. I'm not gonna use the Wolfram Alpha iOS app for that. It's slow and requires me to enter my query as text, like you see in the screenshot.

Ambitious

Having heard so much praise for YouPlayer as an alternative to the official app, I've tried it for a while. Support for PiP is obviously a huge plus (as is support for navigation bar customization), but I don't like its UI in general. It's not terrible, but it feels kinda cheap and uninspired.

The video details screen is a good example:

Quite noisy. I think the video description should be collapsed by default, like in the official YouTube app. They could just display the first few lines of the description so the screen isn't too empty.

What's with the emoji-like thumbs icons below the video title? They look bad.

YouPlayer uses the built-in iOS video player, so there are no custom buttons inside the player. For instance, the quality button is on the bottom right, between the thumbs buttons and the Related button.

Similarly, the buttons to add the current video to a playlist or the Watch Later list are located in the system share sheet, accessed by the button in the top right. I hate this.
To me, there's a clear difference between in-app actions and actions that go beyond the bounds of the current app. I think only the latter belong in the system share sheet. Things like sharing videos via email or text message. Sending videos to Pocket or Instapaper. Copying the video URL or opening the video in Safari. These things are not specific to YouTube. You can use these actions in plenty of apps. On the other hand, YouTube playlists are specific to YouTube apps, which is why I think all playlist actions should have dedicated UI elements inside the app, not in the system share sheet.

Apart from that screen, I have other issues with the app:

It does not show my YouTube watch history. Instead, it keeps its own history. The history tab shows only videos I watched with YouPlayer.

There doesn't seem to be any indicator for videos I've already watched. The official YouTube app adds a grey overlay to a thumbnail, plus a "Watched" label in the top left corner.

There's a Dark Mode, which is great. But look at this:

dark1q0jn3.png

Black text in a textfield with black background? Oh come on.
It looks like this only in the Search tab, though. That's how it looks if you use the search field in any other tab:

dark293xa5.png

Are you fucking kidding me?

Ninja Dom

What's the best player for playing native MKV movie files? I tried the official VLC player on a recent trip and it let me down as it couldn't play the audio of the movie file.

Ambitious

Fellow Tweetbot users, a question:

img_1959i4zst.jpg

Have a look at the timestamps. In conversation view, the most recent reply is just below the selected tweet. So if I want to read all replies to a tweet in chronological order, I have to scroll all the way down and make my way back up? How does that make any sense?

It wasn't always this way, wasn't it? I can vaguely recall some change to the conversation view mentioned in the changelog of one of the last few updates. Let's see if I can find that line.

edit: Wait a minute. The order of the replies to the tweet in the screenshot is similar on the Twitter website, but not the same. A handful of tweets are in a different position on the website. I'm confused.

Mohasus

Yesterday I was updating my apps but something went wrong with whatsapp

mdZz6fT.jpg

My first thought was "I have to reinstall this" but, would I lose all my messages in the process? I don't think I have iCloud enabled.

I still receive new messages notifications, however, when I try to open it, there is only a black screen for a moment and then it crashes.

FerranMG

Yesterday I was updating my apps but something went wrong with whatsapp

mdZz6fT.jpg

My first thought was "I have to reinstall this" but, would I lose all my messages in the process? I don't think I have iCloud enabled.

I still receive new messages notifications, however, when I try to open it, there is only a black screen for a moment and then it crashes.

Have you tried rebooting the iPhone?
Something similar happened to me a few days ago with the Facebook app, and a reboot is all it took to make it work again.

FerranMG

If anybody uses Downcast, can you tell me if the app refreshes correctly in the background for you?
I have the app set to refresh in the background every hour, to check if there's new podcasts available and download them if I'm on wifi.
But it only refreshes maybe once a day, so of course there's days in which the app doesn't download all the available episodes because it hasn't refreshed.
I've contacted them but they haven't got back.

Alternatively, any other good podcast app that is not Overcast? (I don't like it very much).

Ambitious

iCab Mobile was updated today and now has a so-called "Twin Browser" mode. It's basically iOS 9's Split Screen, just within iCab.
Unfortunately, I can't find any screenshots, and I don't have an iPad with me right now to make one.

Future

iCab Mobile was updated today and now has a so-called "Twin Browser" mode. It's basically iOS 9's Split Screen, just within iCab.
Unfortunately, I can't find any screenshots, and I don't have an iPad with me right now to make one.

Does icab work properly for you on gaf? On my 6 plus neogaf auto refreshes itself (I think due to ads?) constantly. Only when in a thread... Forum view doesn't do this. Had to go back to safari to unfortunately because of this

emag

Pulse glitched (?) out for me this morning, replacing stories with ads for the shitty new Pulse-in-name-only that LinkedIn is pushing. It seems to be working again, but I don't know how much life it has left in it.

Are there any other newsreader apps yet that present a Pulse-like view of RSS feeds? I don't want the flashy magazine style news that Flipboard and its clones present, and I don't want the limited list view of feedly and its ilk, either. The tile-based layout of Pulse where each feed is contained in a row and can be independently scrolled is far more efficient.

Con_Smith

Banned
Quick question, a co workers daughter had her iphone stolen, yet when she got a replacement it looks like whoever stole it is still using it as it's tied to the account. Is there anything she can do on the new one to find or track the activity of the thief assuming she didn't activate find my phone on it?

Quick question, a co workers daughter had her iphone stolen, yet when she got a replacement it looks like whoever stole it is still using it as it's tied to the account. Is there anything she can do on the new one to find or track the activity of the thief assuming she didn't activate find my phone on it?

1. Activate Find My iPhone on the new phone.

Are pictures showing up in Photos from the old phone? Maybe look at the location data?

If anybody uses Downcast, can you tell me if the app refreshes correctly in the background for you?
I have the app set to refresh in the background every hour, to check if there's new podcasts available and download them if I'm on wifi.
But it only refreshes maybe once a day, so of course there's days in which the app doesn't download all the available episodes because it hasn't refreshed.
I've contacted them but they haven't got back.

Alternatively, any other good podcast app that is not Overcast? (I don't like it very much).

You should give Overcast a little bit of time, I've found it to be the best. I just don't like the orange color. It does the voiceboost/speedboost with streams too.

I've used Downcast in the past but have also enjoyed Pocketcasts which is also on Android and web. I would check that out.

Alternatively also take a look at Castro.

I'd like to add Tweet Bot 4 is GOAT Twitter app.

So true.

FerranMG

You should give Overcast a little bit of time, I've found it to be the best. I just don't like the orange color. It does the voiceboost/speedboost with streams too.

I've used Downcast in the past but have also enjoyed Pocketcasts which is also on Android and web. I would check that out.

Alternatively also take a look at Castro.

So true.

Thanks, will check them out.

Ambitious

What's the go-to Wikipedia app nowadays?
I'm still using Wikipanion, but it has basically become abandonware. There haven't been any big updates in years. The main reason I kept using it was the ability to add and browse other Wikis, but I don't really need this feature anymore.

What I'm looking for is an app that gives me quick access to search (plus: search in a specific language), the table of contents of the current article, the language selection of the current article and some kind of Read Later feature. So, uh, basically Wikipanion.

What's the go-to Wikipedia app nowadays?
I'm still using Wikipanion, but it has basically become abandonware. There haven't been any big updates in years. The main reason I kept using it was the ability to add and browse other Wikis, but I don't really need this feature anymore.

What I'm looking for is an app that gives me quick access to search (plus: search in a specific language), the table of contents of the current article, the language selection of the current article and some kind of Read Later feature. So, uh, basically Wikipanion.

If you're ok with the read later feature being a list of saved articles in app instead of sending it to something like Pocket, then the official Wikipedia app will do everything you want. Search is in the upper right at all time and you can toggle a setting that will allow you to select the language when searching. Table of contents is always in the lower right.

Ambitious

sgbuh7.png

CdU1i1GWIAAd2QP.jpg

pszws8g.png

If you're ok with the read later feature being a list of saved articles in app instead of sending it to something like Pocket, then the official Wikipedia app will do everything you want. Search is in the upper right at all time and you can toggle a setting that will allow you to select the language when searching. Table of contents is always in the lower right.

Yes, absolutely. That's exactly what I want. On the desktop, while reading an article, I open all interesting links in background tabs which I read when I'm finished with the current article. In Wikipanion, I can do exactly the same by simply tapping and holding a link. There's a tab icon in the navigation bar which shows all saved articles. That's pretty much the perfect implementation for me.

In the official Wikipedia app, you can only bookmark the current article. So I'd have to tap a link, bookmark the page and go back again all the time. That's a bit annoying, but apart from that the app actually seems fine.

Wikiwand looks pretty sweet too. And you can actually bookmark an article by tapping and holding a link. However, it saves them to Safari's Reading List. Like.. why? How does that make any sense? Why would I want to go to a completely different app to read my bookmarks? It doesn't save the actual Wikipedia pages, but wikiwand.com pages. I assumed these links might automatically redirect me to the Wikiwand app, but no, it's actually like a browser version of Wikiwand. Only with shitty scrolling performance. Imagine that. A simple site, just a few small pictures and some text. And there's performance issues with scrolling. In twenty-fucking-sixteen.

I'm gonna use the official app for a while. Let's see if I can get used to it, otherwise I'll grudgingly return to Wikipanion again.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Seriously. Rip-off clones should be doomed to be pushed to the forgotten corners of the App Store if they're not going to be removed. It's not that hard really. Especially if it's a well known app.

Especially since all of those are a clone of a different game.

There needs to be stricter regulations. If Apple's going to block apps because they provide functionality that iOS has in itself, they need to prevent the hundreds of other clone apps that are made just to make a quick buck off popularity.

Carm

I have a question for anyone that uses Overcast. When subscribing to podcasts and a new cast is released is the app suppose to download it immediately, without any input from me? I just opened the app and then it started downloading the podcast, and I know it had to release way earlier in the day. New to iOS and podcast apps in general, so I had assumed these apps had this functionality.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I have a question for anyone that uses Overcast. When subscribing to podcasts and a new cast is released is the app suppose to download it immediately, without any input from me? I just opened the app and then it started downloading the podcast, and I know it had to release way earlier in the day. New to iOS and podcast apps in general, so I had assumed these apps had this functionality.

Yes, it should download new episodes automatically. Had you restarted your phone without opening overcast? Maybe that affected it.

Top Bottom